Question about Mariano Rivera

Jet/BosoxFan

This is a serious question...but I dont expect an objective, rational dialogue from a bunch of blind homers like smizzy, JonEJinx, blackout, and the rest...but for some masochistic reason, I'm going to ask it anyway:

Would you trade Mariano Rivera for either Brad Lidge or Huston Street? Both guys IMO have topped Mariano as closers. They dont even allow baserunners! To the best of my knowledge, Mariano always has allowed multiple baserunners. I know I'm going to regret asking for your thoughts but...any thoughts?

PS: rational, sane, stable people need only reply. Thanks

So would you trade Big Papi for Travis Haffner because Haffner is younger?

Ugh! No hijacking please. This isnt about projecting onto the Red Sox. It is about Mariano. And Big Papi is relatively young and in the prime of his career with no signs of slowing down.

In case you need me to educate you (its what I do for a living) closers, unlike massive, hulking, ULTRA-CLUTCH, juice-free sluggers, tend to lose their abilities rather fast. It happens almost overnight. In Rivera's case...he has far exceeded the expectations of everyone, even me!

10 years...but is this it?

Street, NO..he hasn't shown enough IMO

Lidge, if he had some playoff success I'd have to consider it...the guy is a stud and has a lot more baseball left in him.

The Yanks can still win it with Mo, but any team in any sport has to take every opportunity to improve themselves for a sustained period of time. I'd take a better player at almost any position if they were going to give me five or six years longer than the guy already in place.

For this season, right now..I still take Mo, two or three years I'd consider dealing him.

Ugh! No hijacking please. This isnt about projecting onto the Red Sox. It is about Mariano. And Big Papi is relatively young and in the prime of his career with no signs of slowing down.

In case you need me to educate you (its what I do for a living) closers, unlike massive, hulking, ULTRA-CLUTCH, juice-free sluggers, tend to lose their abilities rather fast. It happens almost overnight. In Rivera's case...he has far exceeded the expectations of everyone, even me!

So let me get this straight.

You're saying that this is it because he blew a save against the Minnesota Twins in a meaningless April game?:eek:

He did have 43 saves last season while only blowing 4 and he had a 1.38 ERA.

He's fine and will be for a few more years.

Okay, if youre honestly trying to have a legit, baseball conversation here and not just trying to stir things up, how do you ignore the fact that Papi does not keep himself in good shape physically compared to Haffner. Don't get me wrong, I'd take Papi in the clutch right now, but a guy who does so little to stay in shape is going to break down quicker than a guy who does.

Bosox,

Here is a serious answer. Mariano Rivera won 4 times here. Without Mo, they might have only won in 1998. Ironically enough I think he won the WS MVP that year with 4 saves. You could make a strong case that the other years wouldn't have happened without Mo. Certainly 1996 wouldn't have happened.

Why do I say all this? Because Mo can not be traded for anyone. Ever. I realize this is just a hypothetical you propose. If that is the goal then the answer is yes. At Mo's age you would trade him for someone younger.

The reality is that Mo stays until he says he is done. And last night does not mean he is done.

This is NOT about David Ortiz! Please...can we stay focused!?!?!

I'll be more than happy to start up a David Ortiz discussion...but for now, let's keep it on Mariano!

AirForce, thank you for your articulate response. Youre the only one who stepped up. 124 blew it. Im sure there will be others to drop the ball. But good job. Youre WAY wrong...but good job nonetheless. Now Maxman has allowed centimentality to cloud his judgement...leading us all to hope he doesnt quit his day job for his sake. I understand why you all love Rivera, but if baseball is a business, I gotta show Mariano the door for one of the 2 aforementioned closers. Gagne too before the injury, probably!

Okay, if youre honestly trying to have a legit, baseball conversation here and not just trying to stir things up, how do you ignore the fact that Papi does not keep himself in good shape physically compared to Haffner. Don't get me wrong, I'd take Papi in the clutch right now, but a guy who does so little to stay in shape is going to break down quicker than a guy who does.

Which would be a great point except for the fact that Ortiz since becoming a everday player has back to back 150 games played seasons. Hafner has yet to do that.

Mariano will be fine as I am sure Ham will point out once the Yanks win a game. I feel he had Mauer struck out last night.

Mariano will be fine as I am sure Ham will point out once the Yanks win a game. I feel he had Mauer struck out last night.

Speaking of which, Uncle Al had a great point on the Yes Network last night....ah, nevermind.

:rolleyes:

So let me get this straight.

You're saying that this is it because he blew a save against the Minnesota Twins in a meaningless April game?:eek:

He did have 43 saves last season while only blowing 4 and he had a 1.38 ERA.

He's fine and will be for a few more years.

Yeah, but he blewe like two of those four in the first week. ;)

Much to my chagrin, unless the heir apparent with a resume was pitching, you stay with Mariano. It does not look like he has lost much.

Another year...another idiotic post by BlowSux about the premature demise of THE GREATEST CLOSER of all time....let me repeat myself, THE GREATEST CLOSER of all time

BlowSux.....try to keep the "premature" discussions to your sex life. Mo is the man..you know it, and it kills you!!!

Yeah, Huston Street is better than Mo.

Looked fantastic today.

As I said, Mo has at least 2 to 3 years left as a dominant pitcher, if he comes down to earth and becomes a mortal, you consider trading him from a business standpoint.

From a loyalty standpoint, I'd have a hard time seeing Mo in another uniform. I'd rather see him move to be a set up man until his days are done and he can retire in pinstripes.

This is a serious question...but I dont expect an objective, rational dialogue from a bunch of blind homers like smizzy, JonEJinx, blackout, and the rest...but for some masochistic reason, I'm going to ask it anyway:

Would you trade Mariano Rivera for either Brad Lidge or Huston Street? Both guys IMO have topped Mariano as closers. They dont even allow baserunners! To the best of my knowledge, Mariano always has allowed multiple baserunners. I know I'm going to regret asking for your thoughts but...any thoughts?

PS: rational, sane, stable people need only reply. Thanks

Street showed today he is not invincible either. He's gotta have atleast 3 solid closer years under his belt before he can even be discussed as better than Rivera

and Lidge has great stuff, but again he's got alot of time to catch up with Mo

only current closer who i'd even consider trading Mo for is Wagner

fantasy baseball wise, i'd take Lidge and Street because they'll get more K's per IP and more innings. however they'll probably never be as good as Mo

Mo is the best closer in Baseball history. No one else mentioned in this thread is EVER discussed in this same way as MO. From a Yankee standpoint, I do not believe he will ever be traded, for anyone. Period. He will walk away on his terms, whenever he wants to. And I think we are still 2-3 seasons from that.

Now, to respond to the opening post. Hypotheticallly, I would trade Mo for Brad Lidge. But only from the standpoint of age. Lidge does not have Mo's post-season pedigree (no pitcher alive does). He also is not proven under the NY lights, which are brighter then any other City in Baseball.

But he has the age advantage, and brings heat. That makes such a trade plausible, in theory only.

Street has not come close to MO, let alone passed him. To make such a statement shows pure foolishness, or balatant anti-Yankees-ism, which is BoSox' m.o. anyway.

But trade MO? It'll never happen.

Archived