Is the NFL too QB centric for success?

• 83Kelly2Allen18 changed the title to Is the NFL too QB centric for success?

There was a massive change in how a defense could play after the 2003 AFC championship and Manning led colts complained to the NFL about how physical the pats dbs were...

Now looking back guys like mel Blount, James hasty or ty law wouldn't make it in today's nfl ( or at least they wouldn't be as great in today's nfl)

• Upvote 3

The players sued the league for billions over concussions basically claiming that the league didn’t tell them how many players were getting and didn’t do enough to prevent them. 

Combine that with the ratings for backup QBs and you get the Brady rule for low hits etc. 

We watch sports for stars and the storylines. 

Just look how the women’s basketball tournament was covered. Clark getting revenge on Reese then Raven getting revenge on Clark. They sold stars and stories. 

The backups rarely deliver.  For every Kurt Warner there are 25 Kellen Clemons. 

it’s all about money at the end of the day 

• Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, 83Kelly2Allen18 said:

There was a massive change in how a defense could play after the 2003 AFC championship and Manning led colts complained to the NFL about how physical the pats dbs were...

Now looking back guys like mel Blount, James hasty or ty law wouldn't make it in today's nfl

Blount, wouldn’t be able to play today?  
Hasty?   Aaron Glenn was the man on the Jets.

People look at changes to the NFL game and ask if it can have success.  Then every year the league is more successful than the year before.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, 83Kelly2Allen18 said:

They could probably play in the NFL but wouldn't be as good because their game was overly dependent on being physical 

No their game was based on being great players

• Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Blount, wouldn’t be able to play today?  
Hasty?   Aaron Glenn was the man on the Jets.

People look at changes to the NFL game and ask if it can have success.  Then every year the league is more successful than the year before.  

While this is true it's possible it's a peak before a major decline possibly. Lots of fans are complaining about this if you look around the league. Seats are more expensive than ever too. 

5 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

No their game was based on being great players

I don't agree with this at all. Yes they were great, with a certain skill set that isn't allowed anymore 

Ronnie Lott would've been kicked out of the league. 

They fined James Harrison into oblivion 

Based on the rules today? No.  Though QB salaries, because they are the most important player now, primarily kill team's salary caps.  KC probably is an anomaly, but contending teams now have such short SB challenging windows.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, 83Kelly2Allen18 said:

While this is true it's possible it's a peak before a major decline possibly. Lots of fans are complaining about this if you look around the league. Seats are more expensive than ever too. 

Same old,story about the future success of the league by a few and yet ratings go up, revenue goes up and what you find to complain about means nothing to most fans 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, 83Kelly2Allen18 said:

I don't agree with this at all. Yes they were great, with a certain skill set that isn't allowed anymore 

You’re out there if you think Ronnie Lott, Ty Law or a Mel Blount etc couldn’t play under these rules.  If they were to struggle it could be that this eras group of WRs are bigger, faster not that the defenders are in apple of playing without committing penalties.  

8 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Same old,story about the future success of the league by a few and yet ratings go up, revenue goes up and what you find to complain about means nothing to most fans 

They are at the point of global advertisements and promotion of gambling, no sh!t ratings continue to go up.  But just because you are served a plate of sh!t doesn’t mean you have to eat it and can’t express distaste for it.

The NFL is a joke and anyone who doesn’t realize this is either 11 years old physically or 11 years old mentally.

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 2

The NFL has been changing for a longtime. Defense is slowly being neutered / emphasis on passing and thus more scoring / becoming more NBA like focusing on the star and celebrity element. 

Meanwhile continued excess of commercials and commercial timeouts in the middle of a game. (No other sport does that or gets away with it). The game is eroding before our eyes and becoming a ‘who needs to be seen’  celebrity sport consumed with slick marketing and tv centric audience 

The players sued the league for billions over concussions basically claiming that the league didn’t tell them how many players were getting and didn’t do enough to prevent them. 

Combine that with the ratings for backup QBs and you get the Brady rule for low hits etc. 
We watch sports for stars and the storylines. 

Just look how the women’s basketball tournament was covered. Clark getting revenge on Reese then Raven getting revenge on Clark. They sold stars and stories. 

The backups rarely deliver.  For every Kurt Warner there are 25 Kellen Clemons. 

it’s all about money at the end of the day 
Im not sure .. the game has always been popular as #_&$ .. watch the opening of Poltergeist(1980s version)

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

They are at the point of global advertisements and promotion of gambling, no sh!t ratings continue to go up.  But just because you are served a plate of sh!t doesn’t mean you have to eat it and can’t express distaste for it.

The NFL is a joke and anyone who doesn’t realize this is either 11 years old physically or 11 years old mentally.

When were these mythical shlt ratings a part of NFL history?  
11 year olds are the ones who don’t understand that the nfl is a joke you say.  But you’re on a football site arguing and debating the Jets and the league.  Great argument against the league and it being a joke.  
The league is more popular than ever, wake up

When were these mythical shlt ratings a part of NFL history?  
11 year olds are the ones who don’t understand that the nfl is a joke you say.  But you’re on a football site arguing and debating the Jets and the league.  Great argument against the league and it being a joke.  
The league is more popular than ever, wake up
So is Taylor Swift ... Doesn't make it a superior product.

The main problem with the massive tilt towards offense IS the scoring.

The game has become a race ...
(like basketball)

And much like Madden often ends based on the team holding the ball last.

I don't blame the young crowd for enjoying it .. it's all they know. It is what is .. and all we got.

Bring on the flags.

2 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Im not sure .. the game has always been popular as #_&$ .. watch the opening of Poltergeist(1980s version) emoji1787.png

Broadcast network contracts were nice

cable money increased it

streaming increased it more

Now Amazon is in the mix.  

The league was happy to let these guys beat each other’s brains in for decades until it threatened their money 

Look at all the Jets prime time games  must have been a huge flop ratings wise    The NFL has a responsibility to the advertisers that buy time from the networks to deliver numbers  

they have always been popular but the scale is just different now  

IMG_8731.png

9 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

So is Taylor Swift ... Doesn't make it a superior product.

To you she is.  Your parents said the same things about music.  The difference of what she puts out compared to the old days is a terrible analogy though.  Most of the rest of the garbage that makes up modern music I would agree with.

40 minutes ago, 83Kelly2Allen18 said:

But if that style of play was not allowed in the first place they would have played within the different rules and, most likely, played very well.

Had they started before the rule changes then had to suddenly change their style mid-career then it may have been different, they'd have had to re-learn on the fly. And old habits can tend to die hard. But they would most likely still have been highly successful players. IMHO.

I think the big issue is the amount of money teams have now.  I think all of the teams are turning a profit.  It wasn’t long ago that teams like the patsies were actually losing money and had to be sold.  But I also think the money these teams get for their salary caps pretty much means it’s going to be allocated to the QBs. Especially since they are a protected class.

IMG_8731.png.5ff5cc79db92c186cc7a08a12ce
That’s all the proof you need especially when you add in bigger stadiums with enormous numbers of ticket sales.  Throw in merchandizing and tell us again how much changes made 20 years ago are in play now?
And he’s talking about the small changes made after the Colts whined about the hands play of the Pats.  
I remember DBs being able to chuck WRs all the way downfield and when OL men weren’t allowed to use their hands at all.  The league somehow managed to survive those rule changes and others that changed the game even more than today’s game. 

Eh, I feel like there's more to it then just - "the rules favor the offense" and that's why it all sucks. 

I don't think teams put a ton of resources into building and developing a great defense. All the focus is on finding a QB and building an offense, with an young offensive coach, etc etc. Just find a way to score more points. And these offensive HC's just keep rotating DC's, no chance to build on anything.

I also randomly thought the other day - where have all the great safeties gone? Ed Ree, Palamalu, Earl Thomas, Chancellor, Weddle, Harrison Smith all gave QBs headaches. Too easy out there now with Prez's patrolling the secondary. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/game/_/gameId/401030972

A lot of people loved that 54-51 Chiefs Rams game from 2018.  I think the NFL saw that game as the model for what they were looking for (2 super high octane offenses).

But personally, I was almost ready to give up on the NFL at that point.  I hated everything about that game.  I'm glad the pendulum has swung back to defense mattering again.  

Is the NFL too QB centric for success?

I'll take "Things said by teams with poop track records of drafting competent QB's."

Even better coming from our resident "No, really, I'm totally a Jets Fan" Bills Fan Troll.

Not so subtle, this one.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

I also randomly thought the other day - where have all the great safeties gone? Ed Ree, Palamalu, Earl Thomas, Chancellor, Weddle, Harrison Smith all gave QBs headaches. Too easy out there now with Prez's patrolling the secondary. 

Playing Safety is basically a no-win situation these days unless you are a ball hawk type.  Can't touch the WR, can't tackle hard, can't hit the QB.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 83Kelly2Allen18 said:

Even with all the protective measures, it really seems like players are hurt now more than ever. The injuries are insane. 

Did Curtis Martin or Thurman Thomas ever miss a game?? I don't get it 

I think athletes today are over-training.

They’re bigger stronger and faster but it comes with a price. They’re muscles, tendons, ligaments, etc. are all being pulled and stretched to the breaking point to gain an edge but also leading them to their bodies being at the brink of snapping at any moment.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/game/_/gameId/401030972

A lot of people loved that 54-51 Chiefs Rams game from 2018.  I think the NFL saw that game as the model for what they were looking for (2 super high octane offenses).

But personally, I was almost ready to give up on the NFL at that point.  I hated everything about that game.  I'm glad the pendulum has swung back to defense mattering again.  

I hope that quality defenses are actually making a comeback but I think a lot has to do with the practice restrictions of the CBA.

OLs and QBs have suffered the most by not getting enough reps and practice and I feel like the offensive output has gone down as a result of a poor product from lack of practice and development on offense rather than defenses improving.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Adoni Beast said:

I hope that quality defenses are actually making a comeback but I think a lot has to do with the practice restrictions of the CBA.

OLs and QBs have suffered the most by not getting enough reps and practice and I feel like the offensive output has gone down as a result of a poor product from lack of practice and development on offense rather than defenses improving.

Good point!  I'm sure that's a big part of it too.