O.J. Simpson is Dead

51 minutes ago, DoubleDecker said:

My point again is to call out the hypocrisy with regards to how people view OJ Simpson.  It’s very apt for a thread pertaining to OJ Simpson. Also my point still stands comparing an athlete with a high profile case about a murder he supposedly committed in the court of public opinion but got off to another athlete with the same situation, is also apt.   No one is arguing for arguing sake.  Also I never saw juice play, just highlights. 

Whether you admit in the thread or not, if Ray Lewis walked by you today, you’d ask for a picture or an autograph.  That right there my friend, is hypocrisy.  Sad to see an NFL legend pass, but for sure OJ a great person by any stretch of the imagination.  He’s still not guilty. 

The facts of the Lewis case were much more murky than OJ’s. There was never concrete evidence that Lewis did the stabbing. Lewis’s buddies also got off on self defense.

10 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

The facts of the Lewis case were much more murky than OJ’s. There was never concrete evidence that Lewis did the stabbing. Lewis’s buddies also got off on self defense.

I don’t get this statement, OJ was acquitted in a court of law even with the use of DNA forensics.  How would that make it murkier when this supposed “ concrete” evidence for OJ was presented and the jury still found him not guilty?  Either the evidence is concrete albeit enough to convict or not.  Not a lawyer but I’m sure the court of there was concrete evidence OJ stabbed someone, he’d been found guilty.  I think it’s a case where people just don’t agree with the verdict but again, other athletes and rich people get off all the time when it’s apparent in the court of public opinion they are guilty.  Just wondering what makes OJ’s case the shining beacon amongst the others? 

20 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No but he still f**kin did it.  

And saying he was “not a great person” is a laughable understatement.  Yikes dude.  

I don’t get this, he’s not a great person.  You’d have to elaborate on what tier of “terribly“ into for me to use. Let me be clear here: OJ was a terrible person by all means.  Don’t want that to get lost in the shuffle here. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, DoubleDecker said:

I don’t get this statement, OJ was acquitted in a court of law even with the use of DNA forensics.  How would that make it murkier when this supposed “ concrete” evidence for OJ was presented and the jury still found him not guilty?  Either the evidence is concrete albeit enough to convict or not.  Not a lawyer but I’m sure the court of there was concrete evidence OJ stabbed someone, he’d been found guilty.  I think it’s a case where people just don’t agree with the verdict but again, other athletes and rich people get off all the time when it’s apparent in the court of public opinion they are guilty.  Just wondering what makes OJ’s case the shining beacon amongst the others? 

Because the jury was on the record saying the evidence didn’t matter. 

Murder is murder. Phil Spector went to jail. So did Robert Blake. Nets Jayson Williams did 5 years. You don’t just get off for murder because you are rich. 

24 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You’ll just call me a liar, but no I would not.  You know nothing about me and then just assume I’m a hypocrite - and that everyone else is?  You’re being excessively cynical.

F**k OJ, Ray Lewis, and all murdering scumbags.

Don’t mean to offend, hence the assumption and not me sticking my flag in the ground on you asking for an autograph.  I respect if you wouldn’t care about lewis or you don’t f**k with him, it’s just a blanket statement I think more people should think about.  I think my real crux here is out of all the other cases across the league where athletes have done heinous things, OJ seems to get people screaming from the mountain top.

It's really not that deep, I’m just trying to understand.  Cause he was acquitted from murder? I mean that’s sounds like an American justice issue not an OJ Simpson issue tbh.  As it stands, I’m just saying based on him being innocent and HOF player, what’s the problem with saying RIP to a football legend that makes it as if I’m defending his personal life?

7 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Because the jury was on the record saying the evidence didn’t matter. 

Murder is murder. Phil Spector went to jail. So did Robert Blake. Nets Jayson Williams did 5 years. You don’t just get off for murder because you are rich. 

Let’s use this logic: Rich people don’t get away with murder.  Ok so, OJ didn’t do jail time for the murder.  He was rich, so based on your logic, he didn’t commit the murder right? Because if he was rich and committed the murder, he wouldn’t have gotten off no? 

2 minutes ago, DoubleDecker said:

Let’s use this logic: Rich people don’t get away with murder.  Ok so, OJ didn’t do jail time for the murder.  He was rich, so based on your logic, he didn’t commit the murder right? Because if he was rich and committed the murder, he wouldn’t have gotten off no? 

What? The OJ trial came off of the Rodney King riots. The evidence didn’t matter in the eyes of that jury. The evidence clearly showed he did it. There’s a reason that the OJ case is the most famous  and unique basically in  American history. We’ll never see anything like it again. 

7 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

What? The OJ trial came off of the Rodney King riots. The evidence didn’t matter in the eyes of that jury. The evidence clearly showed he did it. There’s a reason that the OJ case is the most famous  and unique basically in  American history. We’ll never see anything like it again. 

Maybe I’m too young but I’m not sure what Rodney King has to do with OJ Simpson’s trial? Are you accusing the jury of throwing the case because of the Rodney king riots, because I think not only would I think the jury selection process be under high scrutiny, I believe the jury deliberated like they would in any other high profile case.  It’s one thing to not agree with a verdict, it’s another to outright insinuate something more nefarious at play.  OJ’s verdict wasn’t passed down like some referee making up for some blown call a few plays before.

17 minutes ago, DoubleDecker said:

Don’t mean to offend, hence the assumption and not me sticking my flag in the ground on you asking for an autograph.  I respect if you wouldn’t care about lewis or you don’t f**k with him, it’s just a blanket statement I think more people should think about.  I think my real crux here is out of all the other cases across the league where athletes have done heinous things, OJ seems to get people screaming from the mountain top.

It's really not that deep, I’m just trying to understand.  Cause he was acquitted from murder? I mean that’s sounds like an American justice issue not an OJ Simpson issue tbh.  As it stands, I’m just saying based on him being innocent and HOF player, what’s the problem with saying RIP to a football legend that makes it as if I’m defending his personal life?

It’s not just that he got away with murder.  He also basically taunted the victims by having a party the night of his acquittal, claimed he wanted to find the “real killer” and then years later writing a book about how he did it.  

He also got arrested in ‘07 for armed robbery later on and only served something like 9 years (the minimum) of a 33-year sentence.  He should have died in jail, especially when combining the 2 crimes, but instead he only served 9 years total.  He was also treated like royalty in prison from all accounts, so they weren’t even tough 9 years.

He skated through life in so many ways because he could run hard and fast.  

Lastly, it was the most high profile murder case in American history, probably.  So of course it draws heavy attention to this day.

4 minutes ago, DoubleDecker said:

Maybe I’m too young but I’m not sure what Rodney King has to do with OJ Simpson’s trial? Are you accusing the jury of throwing the case because of the Rodney king riots, because I think not only would I think the jury selection process be under high scrutiny, I believe the jury deliberated like they would in any other high profile case.  It’s one thing to not agree with a verdict, it’s another to outright insinuate something more nefarious at play.  OJ’s verdict wasn’t passed down like some referee making up for some blown call a few plays before.

People on the jury said it was exactly why they weren’t going to find him guilty. It was LA. I suggest reading up on it. A lot more was at play than just the crime itself. He was also found guilty of murder in civil court.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

It’s not just that he got away with murder.  He also basically taunted the victims by having a party the night of his acquittal and then writing a book about how he did it.  He also got arrested for armed robbery and only served something like 7 years of a 33-year sentence.

He skated through life in so many ways because he could run hard and fast.  

Lastly, it was the most high profile murder case in American history, probably.  So of course it draws heavy attention to this day.

Oh sh*t, he wrote a book confessing that he killed them!? That’s the first I heard of that! That’s awful if true.  His other cases, not sure what that has to do with the murder case.  Also want to point out, it’s not uncommon for people to celebrate beating a murder charge.  I’m sure it happens more than we know, pretty life changing event. Yeah I just wonder what makes it so special that’s all.  Celebration? Idk, again I think I’d probably get sh*t faced if I was found not guilty of a crime I felt like I didn’t commit. Btw many many athletes have been afforded very privilege lives because of their natural talents.

1 minute ago, DoubleDecker said:

Oh sh*t, he wrote a book confessing that he killed them!? That’s the first I heard of that! That’s awful if true.  His other cases, not sure what that has to do with the murder case.  Also want to point out, it’s not uncommon for people to celebrate beating a murder charge.  I’m sure it happens more than we know, pretty life changing event. Yeah I just wonder what makes it so special that’s all.  Celebration? Idk, again I think I’d probably get sh*t faced if I was found not guilty of a crime I felt like I didn’t commit. Btw many many athletes have been afforded very privilege lives because of their natural talents.

Celebrating with celebrity buddies the night you got acquitted for murders you definitely committed?  Now even THAT’s ok in your book?

1 minute ago, DoubleDecker said:

Also forgot they moved the trial from Santa Monica to downtown LA. The civil case was held in Santa Monica. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

People on the jury said it was exactly why they weren’t going to find him guilty. It was LA. I suggest reading up on it. A lot more was at play than just the crime itself. He was also found guilty of murder in civil court.

For sure I’ll take a look, no excuse for my ignorance on the case, but man jurers mentioning they found him not guilty because of the Rodney king riots sounds very strange and I’m surprised didn’t open them up for further legal ramifications.  I was under the impression they deliberated based on the evidence and everything presented at trial and found him not guilty due to incompetence of the prosecution and its ability to prove beyond a reasonable doubt he did it . Basic courtroom SOP. I’ll have to look into this.  I’ll stop here because it seems I’m not as educated on this as I originally thought I was.

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Celebrating with celebrity buddies the night you got acquitted for murders you definitely committed?  Now even THAT’s ok in your book?

I think you’re trying to draw blood from a grape here.  I never once said what you just said, just saying human nature maybe to celebrate such a life changing moment.  How and when is moot.  Not everyone runs to the chapel when they face something like that. 

9 minutes ago, DoubleDecker said:

I think you’re trying to draw blood from a grape here.  I never once said what you just said, just saying human nature maybe to celebrate such a life changing moment.  How and when is moot.  Not everyone runs to the chapel when they face something like that. 

No but it certainly further demonstrated his character and proved he didn’t have a shred of humanity in him.  A complete narcissist and scumbag. 

There was a middle ground between “partying” and “church”, to be sure, and he chose maybe the worst option, other than I suppose drunkenly showing up at the homes of the victims’ families to taunt them in person or something.

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Didn’t Ray Lewis help cover it up and not actually stab the guy? With OJ there was never any doubt. 

The speculation is there was an argument in a parking lot outside a bar and Ray lewis was there or around the incident. Ray Lewis then didn't cooperate with who was there and when etc, ( probably code of silence) and was charged with obstruction of justice.... 

He then gave an undisclosed amount to the victims family out of remorse. ( I can't remember if it was a civil issue, but I think he actually volunteered the money)The issue went away. 

Nobody knows what really happened or who was actually the " bad guy", or what the incident was about.

So it's an incident where I don't think we can truly understand. Ie I mind my own business in these situations 

I'll say this about that situation from personal life experiences. If you don't look for trouble you usually won't find any in life...

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, DoubleDecker said:

So would the guy Ray stabbed, assuming you still enjoyed watching him play and be on tv without a peep. Which again is your right.  Don’t want to make this as if I’m OJs biggest fan, just pointing out the hypocrisy.

I'm a Jets fan. I don't give a sh*t about Ray Lewis, and absolutely think he was at least complicit in that incident. The way the media decided to retcon who Ray Lewis is, is pretty gross.

On 4/11/2024 at 2:29 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

Ray Lewis is a murderer too and he can go to hell.  Murderers should pay and non-murderers shouldn't.  It's really not all that complicated.

If we all think of it in those limiting terms, there are about 50 million soldiers lining up for a one-way trip.  Perspective.  

• WTF? 1

8 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

What you’re describing isn’t murder.  Cmon dude.  

Really?  I coulda swore killing someone on purpose was murder.  Guess it's okay under the guise of war.  Amazing how we can make certain distinctions to ease conscience.  

3 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Really?  I coulda swore killing someone on purpose was murder.  Guess it's okay under the guise of war.  Amazing how we can make certain distinctions to ease conscience.  

Glad we had this chat.  

On 4/11/2024 at 8:38 PM, DoubleDecker said:

My point again is to call out the hypocrisy with regards to how people view OJ Simpson.  It’s very apt for a thread pertaining to OJ Simpson. Also my point still stands comparing an athlete with a high profile case about a murder he supposedly committed in the court of public opinion but got off to another athlete with the same situation, is also apt.   No one is arguing for arguing sake.  Also I never saw juice play, just highlights. 

Whether you admit in the thread or not, if Ray Lewis walked by you today, you’d ask for a picture or an autograph.  That right there my friend, is hypocrisy.  Sad to see an NFL legend pass, but for sure OJ a great person by any stretch of the imagination.  He’s still not guilty. 

Disagree.  OJ went to Nicole’s house and brutally murdered her and Ron Goldman.  This was a classic case of stalking a former wife.  The murder also had a level of brutality to it that was off the charts.  He practically took both their heads off.  She had defensive wounds on her hands.  

The Ray Lewis case was a bar altercation that continued onto the street and into the car he was in.  There’s no indication this was a premeditated incident that included months and possibly years of spousal abuse followed by stalking the killer going to her house and brutally murdering her and Ron Goldman.

The two cases aren’t remotely alike.  Ray Lewis made the claim of self defense which in that case is actually plausible.  If you think Lewis killed these people it’s reasonable to despise him.  

It was pretty hard to watch the OJ case and not come away with the conclusion that he was battering his wife, stalking his ex-wife and killed her and Ron Goldman who was in the wrong place at the wrong time close up over an extended time period in a very nasty and brutal way.

• 2 weeks later...