After re-signing Davis, Top 5 Remaining Roster Holes

1 hour ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Just my opinion....

1. Wide Receiver
    Wilson is great, Williams is recovering from injury, Lazard may or may not rebound with Rodgers as QB, Gipson can contribute as a WR as well as a KR, Charles is a special teams star  and Brownlee certainly has turned heads in practice.  So the pieces are there, but we'd all feel better with another young, healthy, talented WR (as I always say, Brock Bowers would count here)
    Priority = URGENT
  2. Offensive Line
    Right now we have a good starting 5 - Smith-Simpson-Tippmann-Vera Tucker-Moses.  And we have a couple of above average to good backups - Warren - Schweitzer - Mitchell.  But there are a lot of injury questions in that group. Another OL would not be a luxury, but a necessity.  A pure Tackle preferably or a Guard/Tackle maybe
    Priority = URGENT
  3. Running Back
    I know many JetNationers think we don't need another RB, but I do.   But we are 1 freak injury or awkward misstep away from Izzy Abanikanda being our starting RB.  I like Izzy, but as a change of pace option, not the go to guy.  Sign a veteran RB #2 or spend a 4th rounder to get a viable option
    Priority = HIGH
  4. Cornerback
    We have 1 legendary CB, 1 great CB, and 1 very good CB.  #4 CB Brandin Echols is even solid.  But you always need to be drafting CBs.  
    Priority = MEDIUM 
  5. Linebacker
    Another spot where JetNation disagrees.  Mosley has maybe 1 or 2 seasons left.  Williams is very good.  Sherwood looks like a solid role player.  Zaire Barnes flashed potential.  Yes, you can always get a serviceable veteran backup LB, but I'd like to see us go for something more
    Priority = MEDIUM

Good work, Sarge!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Just my opinion....

1. Wide Receiver
    Wilson is great, Williams is recovering from injury, Lazard may or may not rebound with Rodgers as QB, Gipson can contribute as a WR as well as a KR, Charles is a special teams star  and Brownlee certainly has turned heads in practice.  So the pieces are there, but we'd all feel better with another young, healthy, talented WR (as I always say, Brock Bowers would count here)
    Priority = URGENT
  2. Offensive Line
    Right now we have a good starting 5 - Smith-Simpson-Tippmann-Vera Tucker-Moses.  And we have a couple of above average to good backups - Warren - Schweitzer - Mitchell.  But there are a lot of injury questions in that group. Another OL would not be a luxury, but a necessity.  A pure Tackle preferably or a Guard/Tackle maybe
    Priority = URGENT
  3. Running Back
    I know many JetNationers think we don't need another RB, but I do.   But we are 1 freak injury or awkward misstep away from Izzy Abanikanda being our starting RB.  I like Izzy, but as a change of pace option, not the go to guy.  Sign a veteran RB #2 or spend a 4th rounder to get a viable option
    Priority = HIGH
  4. Cornerback
    We have 1 legendary CB, 1 great CB, and 1 very good CB.  #4 CB Brandin Echols is even solid.  But you always need to be drafting CBs.  
    Priority = MEDIUM 
  5. Linebacker
    Another spot where JetNation disagrees.  Mosley has maybe 1 or 2 seasons left.  Williams is very good.  Sherwood looks like a solid role player.  Zaire Barnes flashed potential.  Yes, you can always get a serviceable veteran backup LB, but I'd like to see us go for something more
    Priority = MEDIUM

Very good list.  I agree on the 1st 3 for sure.  I agree on #5 probably more than on #4 though (don't know if CB is really a need).  And I'm not sure if I would put #2 ahead of #1 (but agree that they are both urgent).

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Just my opinion....

1. Wide Receiver
    Priority = URGENT
  2. Offensive Line
    Priority = URGENT
  3. Running Back
    Priority = HIGH
  4. Cornerback
    Priority = MEDIUM 
  5. Linebacker
    Priority = MEDIUM

I would swap QB for cornerback and make that position (CB) low.

I think this organization should take the opportunity to do something it hasn't done in forever and that is draft a QB and let him sit a year behind an established vet. I would start considering one in round 4 (or later).

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Just my opinion....

1. Wide Receiver
    Priority = URGENT
  2. Offensive Line
    Priority = URGENT
  3. Running Back
    Priority = HIGH
  4. Cornerback
    Priority = MEDIUM 
  5. Linebacker
    Priority = MEDIUM

Thanks Sargent, you are great as always. 

• Upvote 1

The tricky thing about linebacker is the five guys they rostered to open the season last year are already on this roster. Corner is similar, they carried four - but a sneaky need unless they’re extending Reed (which, given he’s good and also the cap situation - they probably should).

4 hours ago, CTJetsFan said:

I would swap QB for cornerback and make that position low.

I think this organization should take the opportunity to do something it hasn't done in forever and that is draft a QB and let him sit a year behind an established vet. I would start considering one in round 4 (or later).

this!

while we have Rodgers we should draft a guy and let him mentor him for the next couple of years. looks like it worked out for Love.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Just my opinion....
  1. Wide Receiver
    Priority = URGENT
  2. Offensive Line
    Priority = URGENT
  3. Running Back
    Priority = HIGH
  4. Cornerback
    Priority = MEDIUM 
  5. Linebacker
    Priority = MEDIUM
If there was an award for efficient terse well thought posts on topic ... You sir would win hands down. Excellent work.

For me QB3 is a priority too.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Just my opinion....

1. Wide Receiver
    Priority = URGENT
  2. Offensive Line
    Priority = URGENT
  3. Running Back
    Priority = HIGH
  4. Cornerback
    Priority = MEDIUM 
  5. Linebacker
    Priority = MEDIUM

Disagree with your priorities.

After the FA additions, there are no longer any URGENT needs.  We urgently needed OL,  We got two starting caliber tackles and a starting caliber guard.   We urgently needed a legit #2 WR.  We got a legit #2 WR.

At this point, the only HIGH needs are a developmental QB and OL depth, neither of which warrant a 1st round pick.

There are URGENT wants.  URGENT wants are an offensive playmaker, either WR or TE.  And that is only URGENT because of the likelihood of a dynamic offensive playmaker being available at 10.

Could make an argument that the URGENT want of another offensive playmaker is secondary to the QB prospect and OL depth, and warrants a trade-back.  There will still be legit playmakers available later in the 1st and in the 2nd.  Worthy, AD Mitchell, McConkey, Polk, Franklin, Coleman, Burton, maybe even BTJ.  It's a very deep WR class.  Getting a developmental QB or 2nd tier OL prospect might be worth passing on a top offensive weapon and settling for the best available some 10 to 15 picks later.

• Upvote 1

On 4/12/2024 at 11:08 AM, Sarge4Tide said:

Just my opinion....

1. Wide Receiver
    Priority = URGENT
  2. Offensive Line
    Priority = URGENT
  3. Running Back
    Priority = HIGH
  4. Cornerback
    Priority = MEDIUM 
  5. Linebacker
    Priority = MEDIUM

I agree with everything, with the exception of Cornerback.  I would replace Cornerback with Safety.  

My question:  Who has a better room of Cornerbacks than the Jets?  

If you look at the safety position, we have Adams, who looks great, and Clark, who missed all of last season with an injury.  After that, we have Ashtyn Davis, who I love on special teams, and is a solid backup.

But, if one of our starting safeties goes down, I don't like Davis long term as the starter.  I think that if the Jets can trade down in the first, get a O tackle, then a wide receiver in the 2nd round, and now we come upon pick #72.  

My question to you:  Staring you in the face at #72 is a potential starting cornerback, and an equally good potential starting safety.

Which one would you draft?  For me, that would be the safety.

• Upvote 1

These remaining holes are pretty nicely set up for the draft to fill. 

At 10 and 72 the Jets can take their receiver and o-lineman.  They have the rest of the draft to double dip or address LB, CB and RB. With 111, 135, 185 and two 7th rounders, before any trades, that's enough to fill out some decent depth and add competition to camp. 

A RB free agent pickup after the draft would not surprise me either. UDFA RBs always surprise and make rosters as depth. Or a FA RB who shakes loose once team start to cut down their numbers. 

• Upvote 1

LT is URGENT!!!! Keeping Rodgers SAFE is an absolute must. Smith hasnt played a full season since he was in pee wee football. He’s an extremely high risk injury prone player. And he’s on his last legs, maybe a year or two. Striking out on Becton was brutal but you can’t miss out on getting a LT for insurance for Smith and for the immediate future. Moses is more stable but even he needs to be backed up since he’s no spring chicken either. Tackle is the higher priority than WR at pick 10 even if JD trades back. The tackles in round 1 are very good prospects and outshine the needs of WR.  Even trading back we can secure a very good tackle and add a top prospect to the offense or defense in round 2. Mitchell sucked and you cant rely on him. Warren was fair and a depth piece but we still need more depth and potentially to strike gold. OL must be the priority in this draft 2 tackles - LT and RT, a guard, then a WR and hopefully a developmental QB like Pratt in round 4. 

17.NFL-team-logo
Amarius MimsOT Georgia
trade-icon
48.NFL-team-logo
Edgerrin CooperLB Texas A&M
trade-icon
72.NFL-team-logo
Kiran AmegadjieOT Yale
111.NFL-team-logo
Brandon ColemanOG TCU
134.NFL-team-logo
Javon BakerWR UCF
185.NFL-team-logo
Theo JohnsonTE Penn State
256.NFL-team-logo
Sam HartmanQB Notre Dame
257.NFL-team-logo
Kimani VidalRB Troy
  • Upvote 1

Kinda think S and TE are more priority right now, than CB and LB. We have all pro and pro bowl CBs and LBs. Our Safeties and Tight ends are below average  

Yeah we definitely could use another CB and/or LB, late in the draft, or undrafted FAs, but definitely not a priority. 

• Upvote 2