The Great Pressure Rate Question

This is not me just being a Bowery Boy but can someone provide the numbers pertaining to pressure rate/sacks allowed? 

It seems, to me, that the perception is that if we  draft a tackle we will have an impenetrable wall the likes we haven’t seen since Berlin and if we don’t we might as well be starting an orange traffic cone to protect Rodgers blind side. 

How many pressures/sacks per say 100 drop backs is the difference between a top ten tackle and a bottom 10? 

I think it’s pertinent to the debate we’re having about the best way to approach the draft.

• Upvote 4

• Gastineau Lives changed the title to The Great Pressure Rate Question

Sure, since you’re unwilling to use Google for that, I’ll go ahead give you the abridged version of what I found: 

last year? “No bueno”

this year? “Could be bueno, unless the aging, injury prone (or both) suffer the Met Life special, and then we’re back to No Bueno”

These are rough estimates, though, Google can be finicky sometimes. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

Great question. Going to google Penei Sewell vs Morgan Moses.

Penei Sewell: 1 sack allowed, 25 pressures allowed over 20 games

Morgan Moses: 5 sacks allowed, 26 pressures allowed over 14 games

I don’t have access to pass blocking snaps. So per game will just have to do.

I picked Sewell because he’s probably the best RT, young and we had a chance to draft him.

I picked Moses because he is an adequate starter and he is our RT.

Presumably, if we draft an OT at 10, he’d be competing with Moses for playing time.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Great question. Going to google Penei Sewell vs Morgan Moses.

Penei Sewell: 1 sack allowed, 25 pressures allowed over 20 games

Morgan Moses: 5 sacks allowed, 26 pressures allowed over 14 games

I don’t have access to pass blocking snaps. So per game will just have to do.

I picked Sewell because he’s probably the best RT, young and we had a chance to draft him.

I picked Moses because he is an adequate starter and he is our RT.

Presumably, if we draft an OT at 10, he’d be competing with Moses for playing time.

But Moses was playing with a torn pec the whole season. So maybe use Tyron as an example instead?

11 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

The best 5 ots averages a 3.2% pressure rate. That is pressure…. NOT sacks

The bottom 5 starting ots in the league averaged a 6.9% pressure rate

So the avg pass attempts is about 33 a game for the higher volume passers. So say 100 over a three game span. 

Top OT - 1 per game

Terrible OT- 2.3 per game

So basically one extra pressure per game. Am I oversimplifying this?

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The difference between last year’s TE yardage leader and Tyler Conklin was 24 yards per game receiving. 

The above post is a world class instance of turning the  tables;  the analogy is perfect

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Post of the Week 1

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The difference between last year’s TE yardage leader and Tyler Conklin was 24 yards per game receiving. 

Yeah those 24 yard pressures are drive killers man

We should just tell everyone to stop doubling Travis Kelce it’s only 24 yards 

• Haha 4

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Essentially, Bowers meeting expectations does not move the needle.

Same with OT. If we hit a HR, that player is not moving the needle. He would give us some long-term stability though.

Who does move the needle? A top WR replacing Allen Lazard’s 300 yards.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 3

2 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Same with OT. If we hit a HR, that player is not moving the needle. He would give us some long-term stability though.

Mike Williams 

although if we went Odunze I wouldn’t cry (for very long)

13 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Mike Williams 

although if we went Odunze I wouldn’t cry (for very long)

Lazard is the 3rd WR on our team and will likely play 60% of the snaps from the slot. Get that man off the field.

The only way Bowers makes sense is if we think he can play the big slot. That's risky.

Better would be to get Odunze (if he falls) and put Garrett Wilson in the slot. That's a high octane offense. If not, trade back and someone like McConkey would be a better choice for us. He'd cook from the slot.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

32 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Yeah except nobody is game planning for Tyler Conklin. So almost perfect!

The Bowers upgrade is close to a luxury,, offset only by the fact that here would be cap benefit if cut Conklin, and both cap benefit and some modest draft capital if we could trade him. OTOH getting quality OT or WR depth, and starting to build for the future at rookie contract prices in these areas, is a necessity.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Alworth said:

The Bowers upgrade is close to a luxury,, offset only by the fact that here would be cap benefit if cut Conklin, and both cap benefit and some modest draft capital if we could trade him. OTOH getting quality OT or WR depth, and starting to build for the future at rookie contract prices in these areas is a necessity.

Thirteen words for ya: Twelve personnel 

4 minutes ago, Alworth said:

The Bowers upgrade is close to a luxury,, offset only by the fact that here would be cap benefit if cut Conklin, and both cap benefit and some modest draft capital if we could trade him. OTOH getting quality OT or WR depth, and starting to build for the future at rookie contract prices in these areas is a necessity.

You guys are all that on board with Thomas at 10?  I get the dream of trading down or one of the top 3 WR falling.  I am not super knowledgeable on the prospect, but I get a Kevin White vibe from Thomas and it terrifies me.

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Thirteen words for ya: Twelve personnel 

i like big personnel just as you do, but this debate is about the Jimmies and Joes, not the X's and O's. Get better OL personnel and the running and passing improves regardless of scheme. And your point borders on agreeing with those who say that Bowers has to be schemed for, giving the offense less flexibility.

2 minutes ago, Alworth said:

i like big personnel just as you do, but this debate is about the Jimmies and Joes, not the X's and O's. Get better OL personnel and the running and passing improves regardless of scheme. And your point borders on agreeing with those who say that Bowers has to be schemed for, giving the offense less flexibility.

He can do it all. Hes a jimmy and a Joe 

lets not hijack an offensive line thread and turn into a brock bowers thread though

9 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

You guys are all that on board with Thomas at 10?  I get the dream of trading down or one of the top 3 WR falling.  I am not super knowledgeable on the prospect, but I get a Kevin White vibe from Thomas and it terrifies me.

My posts are clear that we stay put the choice should be either a quality WR or OL If the Big Three WR are gone we go OL and get a good one. it "Bit" can tell us the specifics of whom it might be under various no-WR scenarios.

• Post of the Week 1

53 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

I honestly started this thread to hear a different (smarter?) perspective on something I’ve been wondering about. I wasn’t trying to masturbate with an agenda. That’s what other people’s threads are for!

"100,000 posts in this thread"

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

He can do it all. Hes a jimmy and a Joe 

lets not hijack an offensive line thread and turn into a brock bowers thread though

The first sentence disagrees with the widespread concern that there's a risk he's a high first round Jimmy (screen game etc.) but not a first round Joe (downfield passing). But that's okay; you're not alone in your POV.

But the second sentence is truly puzzling. How can you say that discussing OL and Bowers as alternatives is hijacking an OL thread when your OP implies discussion of OL and Bowers as alternatives. But if you want me to restrict myself to data, I'll say that analytics for OL play are still far away from the accuracy of the eyeball test and don't at all address the value of trying to avoid a second season of OL anarchy.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Alworth said:

The first sentence disagrees with the widespread concern that there's a risk he's a high first round Jimmy (screen game etc.) but not a first round Joe (downfield passing). So.=, fine; you're a believer

But the second sentence is truly puzzling. How can you say that discussing OL and Bowers as alternatives is hijacking an OL thread when your OP implies discussion of OL and Bowers as alternatives. But if you want me to restrict myself to data, I'll say that analytics for OL play are still far away from the accuracy of the eyeball test and don't at all address the value of trying to avoid a second season of OL anarchy.

I know I just am wary about this turning into another Bowers thread. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, GreenFish said:

Perfectly said. Odunze is the pick IMO. I would strongly consider Alt if he falls to 10 though. 6'8" running a 5.05 sec forty is just silly.

4 QBs and 2 DEF players is what makes Odunze, or WR3, fall to us. Most of the Bears related websites I've seen have them going DL at #9, for what ever that's worth.

• Upvote 1