A-Rod has to become trade bait

AFJF

The Yankees pay A-Rod 17 mil per season. If they agree to pick up 7 million, other teams who don't have much chance to win would be foolish to pass up on A-Rod from a business standpoint.

Ticket and Merchandise sales are going to increase significantly anywhere he's traded (there just won't be many big hits) so more fans will fill the stadiums. Hell, if you trade him to the west coast where people don't really care who wins or not, he might even get a few big hits since nobody will be watching.

A-Rod to the west coast for a solid 3B and some prospects if you ask me. As long as he's in pinstripes I'll root for him (just like Sheff:Cuss: ) but I'd have no problem with dealing the guy for somebody who might step up in a big spot. For what he brings to the table he's not worth what he makes.

Now if he were making 10 mil (which is what his new team would be paying him) he would be a bargain.

thoughts?

Interesting, but it won't happen. He is in his prime, and is argumentally, the best player in Baseball.

He is from a skills standpoint the best in the game IMO, but again, a few clutch hits sprinkled in over a 162 game season does not justify paying a player 17 million dollars IMO. If you can cut 10 mil in payroll while adding some blue chip prospects and an adequate starter at 3B who hits in the clutch from time to time, definitely something worth looking at anyway.

why the hell would you WANT to trade a-rod?

sure, maybe if Pujols or Santana are on the trading block too...

Beacuse for what he makes, he does not deliver enough. He's not a guy who gets in done in big spots, and when you play on the Yankees there will be pleny of big spots. I've backed the guy for the majority of his time in NY and I will continue to root for him. I'd just rather see a clutch player for several million less than what A-Rod makes.

A-rod would be really hard to trade especially to the west coast teams (besides the angels). So IMO the only possible is the angels. The angels have a couple big name spects that will fill holes Dallas Mcpherson (3B, if we to trade him A-rod) and Jeff Matis ©. We could also try to get Santana from them to help our staff. Of course this will most likey never happen and is just a quick thought.

He is from a skills standpoint the best in the game IMO, but again, a few clutch hits sprinkled in over a 162 game season does not justify paying a player 17 million dollars IMO. If you can cut 10 mil in payroll while adding some blue chip prospects and an adequate starter at 3B who hits in the clutch from time to time, definitely something worth looking at anyway.

Actually, he is costing the Yankees only 14 million per, with Texas carrying the freight for the rest. So he really is not much above your "bargain" price of 10 million.

Actually, he is costing the Yankees only 14 million per, with Texas carrying the freight for the rest. So he really is not much above your "bargain" price of 10 million.

Based on the numbers reported by USA today at the time of the deal, A-Rod makes an average of 17 mil per season as a Yankee.

Yankees, Rangers finalize terms of A-Rod deal

By Mel Antonen, USA TODAY

The Texas Rangers and New York Yankees worked out a trade Sunday that would put Alex Rodriguez in pinstripes, but the deal wasn't final until Commissioner Bud Selig gave his stamp of approval Monday morning.

It looks like Alex Rodriguez, a Gold Glove shortstop, will be fielding ground balls at third base next season for the Yankees.

By John Bazemore, AP

In December, when the Rangers tried to trade Rodriguez to the Boston Red Sox, Selig approved but the players' union said no.

Selig said Sunday he was going to analyze the restructured contract. The union has OK'd the trade, and Selig could announce a decision as early as Monday.

There is $179 million left on the $252 million contract Rodriguez signed with Texas in 2000. The Rangers would pay $67 million and get All-Star second baseman Alfonso Soriano and a player to be named.

7 yrs left on his deal at the time of the trade

179 minus the 67 texas picks up is 112, split that up in to seven years and you get 16. My bad, I'd said 17.

Yeah, everyone is Dying for a non-clutch loser with a huge contract.

If you had read the original post as opposed to just the title you would have seen what I was taking about.

I specifically said that A-Rod would have to be dealt to a team willing to accept him based solely from a business standpoint, not a competitive one. And if you're foolish enough to think that every owner in baseball just wants to win and isn't driven by profits then I would encourage you to look at some of the profits these owners are making and pocketing as opposed to spending to become more competitive.

The Pirates are a perfect example. Their payroll is not growing at the same pace that their profits are. Other teams who are making profits are spending that money (Milwaukee for example)

So if a team like Pittsburgh decides to take some of the 17 mil they got in revenue sharing and spend it on A-Rod, that would increase season ticket sales which obviously causes an increase in parking revenue, concession, and merchandise revenue.

Now I realize that the Pirates want to keep some of thier money instead of improving their team but that doesn't make it right IMO.

A-Rod would be better suited for a west coast team that wants to add ticket sales and the above mentioned revenues to a player that could be had for 10 mil per season.

If you had read the original post as opposed to just the title you would have seen what I was taking about.

I guess the guy who reads these things to pimple-face just didn't have the time to read the whole thing.

he's not getting traded at anytime, so i'm not really interested in reading 5 paragraphs about it. I just kinda felt like dumping on A-Rod again.

LOL...five paragraphs? It was seven sentences...7...thats it. All you had to do was read seven sentences and you might have been able to give a response that kept the conversation at an adult level. Instead you read one line, and refer to the seven sentences as "five paragraphs"....thats just hilarious

Great job as usual, AFJ. I agree 100%

When you're able to watch Arod over 162 games, the numbers he puts up aren't a strong indication of the player he actually is.

And it's so disappointing isn't it? I'm not going to say I wasn't happy about A-Rod coming to the Bronx initially, but now after having seen him play for a few seasons it's just not worth the money he makes. The guy hit 48 HR last year. Of those 48, guess how many were after the 7th inning in a close game...four. Thats right, four home runs late and close. This isn't to say he didn't hit a few early on in games to give the Yankees an early lead, but if you're the top paid guy in baseball and your current team is paying you 16 mil, more than 4 of your 48 HRs have to be in big, game deciding spots. He just doesn't do enough to justify paying him 16 million per season IMO.

Nobody's worth that kind of money. It sure is fun to watch him play third base, though. His arm is unreal. I agree that I'd like to see more offense in clutch spots.

yeah, the guy has done a great job of moving from SS to 3B but in all honesty I wasn't surprised one bit by that. He's a hell of an athlete and could probably play anywhere you put him. He even seems like a decent human being, but from that standpoint of a fan whos team is the greatest in the history of american sports, he's not earning his money, plain and simple.

all this talk about trading A-rod is silly! WHO THE HELL IS GOING TO TRADE FOR HIS UNCLUTCH, STAT-PADDING, SELF-SERVING @SS???

I wouldnt give you a bag of baseballs for him and his salary! He isnt worth a fraction of that salary.

Think I am blowing smoke? Texas basically got ZERO for him. ZERO. They got Soriano for 2 years and blew him outta town next.

They even paid to get rid of him!

That's not the kind of thing you do for the "best player in baseball." I'd almost feel bad for Alexander...ahem...the Great if he werent such a smarmy d*ckhole!

all this talk about trading A-rod is silly! WHO THE HELL IS GOING TO TRADE FOR HIS UNCLUTCH, STAT-PADDING, SELF-SERVING @SS???

I wouldnt give you a bag of baseballs for him and his salary! He isnt worth a fraction of that salary.

Think I am blowing smoke? Texas basically got ZERO for him. ZERO. They got Soriano for 2 years and blew him outta town next.

That's not the kind of thing you do for the "best player in baseball." I'd almost feel bad for Alexander...ahem...the Great if he werent such a smarmy d*ckhole!

Cant really disagree with you here, except for the part about him being a dickhead.

The Yankees pay A-Rod 17 mil per season. If they agree to pick up 7 million, other teams who don't have much chance to win would be foolish to pass up on A-Rod from a business standpoint.

Ticket and Merchandise sales are going to increase significantly anywhere he's traded (there just won't be many big hits) so more fans will fill the stadiums. Hell, if you trade him to the west coast where people don't really care who wins or not, he might even get a few big hits since nobody will be watching.

A-Rod to the west coast for a solid 3B and some prospects if you ask me. As long as he's in pinstripes I'll root for him (just like Sheff:Cuss: ) but I'd have no problem with dealing the guy for somebody who might step up in a big spot. For what he brings to the table he's not worth what he makes.

Now if he were making 10 mil (which is what his new team would be paying him) he would be a bargain.

thoughts?

Crazy. ARod will own a post season soon.

No Yankee other than MO is worth his salary.

Perhaps you don't understand the concept of bieng profit driven. Like it or not, there are teams out there who care more about their bottom line than winning and A-Rod does the one thing that brings fans out to the park. He hits home runs. Doesnt' mattter if they're game winning or meaningless, most fans will come out to see a guy who's leading the league in homers any day of the week. Add to that the fact that a team could get him at a ten mil per year clip and it's a wise business decision. It's no secret that the combonation for your lacking baseball knowledge and hatred for the Yankees rarely allows you to see things from a realistic point of view. I don't think it's any surprise to learn that you don't see how many teams operate for profit alone and could care less about the standings.

Is A-Rod a guy you trade for if you want to win? NO!!!

Is he a guy you trade for to boost attendance if you're not willing to pay enough to win? YES!!!!

you think Texas watned to get rid of him because he wasnt a good player, and not because his salary was way too high, which was their fault to begin with?

its like your making him out to be the ****ing Stephon Marbury of baseball

I didnt even come close to implying that Texas wanted to get rid of A-rod because he wasnt a great player with unearthly stats...nor do I even think it was all about his contract, which Hicks must be accountable for...

From what I understand, A-rod was kicked out of Texas because he is:

1. a pariah

2. Buck hated him and vice versa.

A-hole has gone on record as saying that he doesnt like to play for a manager who's never played the game before.

A-hole has that...well, ya know...INTANGIBLE factor. You Yankee $kankees know all about intangibles, right? A-hole just emanates losing and/or falling short. Its his MO and has been his whole career.

And at this point, the only Yankee fans that buy a ticket because of A-rod are the ones who want to boo him and/or throw warm beer and AAA batteries at him.

he's not getting traded at anytime, so i'm not really interested in reading 5 paragraphs about it. I just kinda felt like dumping on A-Rod again.

AROD >>> Beltran or Delgado or Wright

How much did you Pay Beltran last yr to hit .260 and hit 17 hr's?

I didnt even come close to implying that Texas wanted to get rid of A-rod because he wasnt a great player with unearthly stats...nor do I even think it was all about his contract, which Hicks must be accountable for...

From what I understand, A-rod was kicked out of Texas because he is:

1. a pariah

2. Buck hated him and vice versa.

A-hole has gone on record as saying that he doesnt like to play for a manager who's never played the game before.

A-hole has that...well, ya know...INTANGIBLE factor. You Yankee $kankees know all about intangibles, right? A-hole just emanates losing and/or falling short. Its his MO and has been his whole career.

And at this point, the only Yankee fans that buy a ticket because of A-rod are the ones who want to boo him and/or throw warm beer and AAA batteries at him.

And yet the Redsox were the team beating down texas's door to get him first. Funny huh? it wasn't till the redsox balked did the Yankees come into the picture. Yankee haters are everyewhere and they bitch like women about any and everything they can.

Fact is the AL MVP isn't going anywhere. His is one of a short list of Yankees who is earning his money and doing it without performance enhancers.

AROD >>> Beltran or Delgado or Wright

Good point, except that David Wright is 24 and makes about 1 % of Rodriguez's salary.

And the way Delgado is smoking the ball, at a pitcher's park like Shea no less, I'm just fine with him in the 3-hole.

By the way, we overpaid Beltran for more than his hitting. He is still an elite defensive center fielder and has not lost much speed on the basepaths.

Archived