Jets add Power to Backfield With Additon of RB Braelon Allen

5 hours ago, slats said:

Make this man a FB and start running some 21 personnel. This guy and Breece on the field together, running down the clock. Could be a beautiful thing. 

One of the many circumstances where it’d be cool to have a creative OC. Some team is eventually going to figure out a way to get two more modern running backs on the field and have enough success that other teams copy it, right? Feels inevitable.

11 minutes ago, derp said:

One of the many circumstances where it’d be cool to have a creative OC. Some team is eventually going to figure out a way to get two more modern running backs on the field and have enough success that other teams copy it, right? Feels inevitable.

JETS-WEB-superJumbo.jpg?quality=75&auto=

On 5/29/2024 at 2:40 PM, slats said:

Make this man a FB and start running some 21 personnel. This guy and Breece on the field together, running down the clock. Could be a beautiful thing. 

From the Jets Press:

With Breece Hall temporarily sidelined due to a minor injury, it's been rookie Braelon Allen who has received the majority of reps with the first-team offense, and he's made the most of the opportunity.

Allen has flashed his upside as a pass catcher while breaking off a couple of long runs in practice. He's notably working ahead of Israel Abanikanda, who is quickly plummeting down the depth chart.

Fellow rookie Isaiah Davis and new signing Tarik Cohen have received just as many, if not more reps than Abanikanda over the last few practices. Meanwhile, Allen remains the odds-on early favorite to be the Jets' primary RB2 behind Hall.

Braelon Allen might be the BIGGEST running back in the NFL. Oh, and he’s the youngest player in the ENTIRE LEAGUE (Jan. 20, 2004) It’s SCARY HOURS in New York 😳

• Upvote 2

So, I followed BA's recruitment to Wisconsin , he was considered a 4 star SS prospect who might grow into a linebacker but due to circumstances at the time he was tried at RB, which he played also in HS and immediately excelled in Madison.

Yes, very young, played his Frosh season as a 17 year old and gained over 1,200 yards and will play at age 20 as a Jet rookie, there is more in the tank here, the additional man strength and good weight yet to be added.

BA was pound for pound the strongest kid on the Badger team, a workout warrior for sure, he won't let you down there.

When he puts his shoulder down and runs hard he succeeds , however too often he was dancing and waiting , looking for a hole to create a 50 yard gain and unfortunately, this led to a lot of 2nd and 10's and questions from many Badger fans about his NFL viability.

He isn't going to run away from DB's and fast linebackers like the last Badger Big Back Jonathon Taylor can but he doesn't get caught from behind that often either, it was nagging injuries (some Badger fans thought he needed TOUGHEN UP pills but I think it was being so young )  that kept his excellent overall production from being even greater and I think he can learn to be a productive Blocker, pass catcher and runner in a very short time in the NFL, the talent and will to succeed exists.

He just needs to stop with the hunt & peck mentality and barge through the line into the hole and put a shoulder down and he can be successful, later on with the searching for the big gain, it can work here and there but mostly he needs to be a 3-4-5 yards and a cloud of dust type guy IMO  along with staying healthy.

Like i said, saw every single carry of his career and I'm still not sure what he might become here, a steal who gets better and better with age and experience, maybe a 250  lb bruiser eventually  or a dancer who has a short stay in the league due to a lack of footspeed, early returns give me hope that its the real deal and age is on his side.

We had to wait a bit for Quinen to age up but it was worth it in the end, hope we get the same from BA, he's a good kid.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

What do you think the Jets have Michael Mayer  and Brock Bowers at Te.    You don’t .    So stop 

I'm more worried about the RTE than the LTE TBH.  
j/k   enjoy the raiduh's "Duh" moment in the first round while it lasts.

• Haha 1

Quick 'click bait' article on msn...

Braelon Allen Impresses at Jets OTAs (msn.com)

Before I paste the article, 2 things: First, during the draft, there had to be a few teams who planned on drafting Braelon and felt good about their chances, since the Jets would never waste a pick on a RB after taking Breece Hall. Then BAM! Joe Douglas pulls the trigger.

Second, if Joe had gone a different direction and we only had Breece and Izzy (same as last year), we'd be pretty much happy with our RB room. "No need for another RB, we already have the best". Then, we draft Braelon Allen and all of a sudden, we love the idea! 2 great RBs, let the dreams begin!

OK...here's the article:

Braelon Allen Impresses at Jets OTAs

If there's been a clear winner at OTAs in Florham Park for the New York Jets, fourth-round running back Braelon Allen might be it. 

The youngest player drafted out of the 2024 class, Allen has impressed as a runner and pass blocker throughout the early stages of voluntary workouts with the Jets. 

Braelon Allen Impresses at Jets OTAs
Braelon Allen Impresses at Jets OTAs© Provided by Jets Country

It's his ability as a pass catcher, though, that has excited the coaching staff for New York. 

In Tuesday's practice, in particular, Allen caught a pass over a defender from quarterback Tyrod Taylor that those in attendance called the play of the day. 

Allen's catch in one of the last remaining days of voluntary workouts shows a complete back that is earning the coaching staff's trust through every single day of work. With top runner Breece Hall not in attendance during this same time due to an injury, the Jets should be very happy that their rookie class of running backs has stepped up of sorts over the last few weeks. 

There's more to come as well. 

As Allen and fellow draftee Isaiah Davis continue to get more snaps in practice, there is a very large likelihood that both will safely make the final 53-man roster while last year's rookie Israel Abanikanda will be on the roster bubble. 

With the way Allen is playing, it certainly looks like the rookies are earning the job more than anyone else. 

On 6/4/2024 at 2:00 PM, Leftylarry said:

So, I followed BA's recruitment to Wisconsin , he was considered a 4 star SS prospect who might grow into a linebacker but due to circumstances at the time he was tried at RB, which he played also in HS and immediately excelled in Madison.

Yes, very young, played his Frosh season as a 17 year old and gained over 1,200 yards and will play at age 20 as a Jet rookie, there is more in the tank here, the additional man strength and good weight yet to be added.

BA was pound for pound the strongest kid on the Badger team, a workout warrior for sure, he won't let you down there.

When he puts his shoulder down and runs hard he succeeds , however too often he was dancing and waiting , looking for a hole to create a 50 yard gain and unfortunately, this led to a lot of 2nd and 10's and questions from many Badger fans about his NFL viability.

He isn't going to run away from DB's and fast linebackers like the last Badger Big Back Jonathon Taylor can but he doesn't get caught from behind that often either, it was nagging injuries (some Badger fans thought he needed TOUGHEN UP pills but I think it was being so young )  that kept his excellent overall production from being even greater and I think he can learn to be a productive Blocker, pass catcher and runner in a very short time in the NFL, the talent and will to succeed exists.

He just needs to stop with the hunt & peck mentality and barge through the line into the hole and put a shoulder down and he can be successful, later on with the searching for the big gain, it can work here and there but mostly he needs to be a 3-4-5 yards and a cloud of dust type guy IMO  along with staying healthy.

Like i said, saw every single carry of his career and I'm still not sure what he might become here, a steal who gets better and better with age and experience, maybe a 250  lb bruiser eventually  or a dancer who has a short stay in the league due to a lack of footspeed, early returns give me hope that its the real deal and age is on his side.

We had to wait a bit for Quinen to age up but it was worth it in the end, hope we get the same from BA, he's a good kid.

Really great write up and insight.

I liked the pick as i felt he dropped a bit due to a "lack of production" in 2024 which was seemed schematic more then anything, however there are big parts of your scouting report that are concerning and would also lead someone to look better in shorts during OTAs then they are in pads when the season starts.

If Allen wasnt overly physical through the hole in college its going to be tougher for him to gain that mentality in the more physical NFL (even coming from the Big Ten).   Hopefully the staff can get him to be a tougher runner to get whats blocked but Im definitely skeptical given your review.