Connecticut's Rudy Gay going early to NBA

faba

Connecticut sophomore guard Rudy Gay announced he will skip his final two seasons of eligibility and enter the NBA draft at a news conference on campus Monday.

Gay

The news was expected for weeks.

Gay, who will likely hire an agent, has been projected as a top 10 pick throughout the season. Connecticut junior forward Josh Boone declared earlier this month but, unlike Gay, isn't expected to sign with an agent to preserve his amateur status in case he wants to return to school. Connecticut is also expecting junior point guard Marcus Williams to announce his intentions to leave for the NBA and sign with an agent later this week.

The Connecticut coaching staff said throughout the season that they expected Gay to be gone. They also anticipated Williams' departure. That's in part why the Huskies signed six players in the fall. UConn was already losing four seniors. So, the Huskies will have a North Carolina-like exodus if Boone stays in the draft with their top six players gone from the 30-4 co-Big East champs. The top returning scorer would be freshman forward Jeff Adrien (6.5 ppg).

Andy Katz is a senior writer

So, the Huskies will have a North Carolina-like exodus if Boone stays in the draft with their top six players gone from the 30-4 co-Big East champs.

That cracks me up...now anytime a team loses 3 or more of their top scorers it will be compared to how we lost 90% of our scorers from the national championship team.

I dont know why, I just got a kick out of that.

That cracks me up...now anytime a team loses 3 or more of their top scorers it will be compared to how we lost 90% of our scorers from the national championship team.

HUGE difference-those UNC guys did it in the tournament. As Bit noted, Gay did nothing. Boone won't get picked until the 2nd round, if at all. If anything their NCAA performance dropped them, Gay especially.

HUGE difference-those UNC guys did it in the tournament. As Bit noted, Gay did nothing. Boone won't get picked until the 2nd round, if at all. If anything their NCAA performance dropped them, Gay especially.

I feel what you are saying, but what I think is funny is that from now on if a team loses that much talent it will be considered a "Carolina type" exodus.

Personally I don't care at all about basketball, especially the NBA, but alot of the money they make comes through marketing. The team that drafts him will be trying to sell jerseys with "GAY" on the back of them. Do you think it will be a big seller? I don't know about you, but if the Jets drafted some guy with the last name of "GAY" and he was the next coming of Namath, and led us to a Superbowl, I still don't think I 'm buying and wearing that jersey.

Personally I don't care at all about basketball, especially the NBA, but alot of the money they make comes through marketing. The team that drafts him will be trying to sell jerseys with "GAY" on the back of them. Do you think it will be a big seller? I don't know about you, but if the Jets drafted some guy with the last name of "GAY" and he was the next coming of Namath, and led us to a Superbowl, I still don't think I 'm buying and wearing that jersey.

Ask the Patriots fans. I think Randall Gay is a top jersey seller up there just for his last name.;)

Archived