Do Jets Have the Depth to Avoid Repeat of Disastrous 2023?

Obviously.  You've got an All-Pro starting LT and an 11th overall pick behind him.  You have one of the GOAT QBs as your starter and one of the most respected backups in the league behind him.  I think that alone prevents disaster.

As far as WR and RB depth, adding either in-season should be relatively easy if it comes to that.  I'm pretty confident though that as long as Rodgers is  healthy, he'll make the most of this WR group even if someone important goes down.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, slats said:

Why is that? Prior to last year, Rodgers hadn’t missed a start in five straight seasons. Jets have built a solid OL in front of him. Biggest concern was the age/injury history of the tackles, but the Jets might have the best backup tackle situation in the league. Last piece is a backup guard. Rodgers may not be as mobile as he used to be, but he knows how to protect himself/get rid of the football. 

Oh wait, sorry, you were just doing your thing again. By all means, quintuple down. 

Rodgers is 41 and broken down.

Taylor has 4 concussions in 5 years and is one shot away from ending his career.

I would be shocked if we don't see the QB 3 at some point this season.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, slats said:

Why is that? Prior to last year, Rodgers hadn’t missed a start in five straight seasons. Jets have built a solid OL in front of him. Biggest concern was the age/injury history of the tackles, but the Jets might have the best backup tackle situation in the league. Last piece is a backup guard. Rodgers may not be as mobile as he used to be, but he knows how to protect himself/get rid of the football. 

Oh wait, sorry, you were just doing your thing again. By all means, quintuple down. 

I don't understand why being old isn't a good reason. Rodgers and I are roughly the same age and have had similar athletic careers and I'm hurt all the time.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I don't understand why being old isn't a good reason. Rodgers and I are roughly the same age and have had similar athletic careers and I'm hurt all the time.

It’s a reason, sure, but hardly a reason for it being likely that the Jets get to their third string QB this season. 

13 minutes ago, slats said:

It’s a reason, sure, but hardly a reason for it being likely that the Jets get to their third string QB this season. 

Rodgers is old, Taylor has been concussed and banged up a whole lot and  is kinda old, and this has literally all happened to the Jets, a franchise that always gets everything wrong literally all of the time, several times prior. Seems pretty likely to me. 

• Upvote 2

On 5/9/2024 at 1:57 PM, Green Ghost said:

Zach was the worst QB in the league his first two seasons.
I’m not disagreeing with your point, but I’m giving at least equal blame to the GM and CS that watched him f**k up all that time, then made him QB2 last year.

It’s the owner silly

On 5/17/2024 at 8:52 AM, FidelioJet said:

Taylor has 4 concussions in 5 years and is one shot away from ending his career.

Woody is signing Zach after the Broncos cut him.

On 5/17/2024 at 8:46 AM, bonkertons said:

Obviously.  You've got an All-Pro starting LT and an 11th overall pick behind him.  You have one of the GOAT QBs as your starter and one of the most respected backups in the league behind him.  I think that alone prevents disaster.

As far as WR and RB depth, adding either in-season should be relatively easy if it comes to that.  I'm pretty confident though that as long as Rodgers is  healthy, he'll make the most of this WR group even if someone important goes down.

As big a Zach hater as I am I do have PTSD watching an obviously done Duane Brown be a turnstile on the play that cost Aaron his Achilles and our season.

Bringing back Zach as QB2 was negligent and asinine.  Relying on 40 year old Brown to be a full time LT just as negligent and stupid

• Post of the Week 1

He's 40 until December. Calling him broken down is idiotic. But I know that's your perseverative narrative. I'm sure Bitonti will chime in about father time soon. 

• Haha 1

Come trade deadline, will Jets be buyers or sellers?

Will the Jets have so many wins that the Nicks offer Woody life-time parking at the Garden for just one of those wins? JUST ONE???

Is our BUQB any good? Can he win a big game?

On 5/9/2024 at 12:20 PM, rbstern said:

My prediction:

If Aaron Rodgers stays on the field and plays at 80 to 90% of his career productivity, Jets win four to five more games than last year.

If Rodgers goes down, and Taylor comes in and remains upright, they win 2 to 3 more games than last year.

If we get 3 QBs into the depth chart for a significant part of the year:  Stick a fork in it.

And if AR8 plays at MVP level...cowabunga!!!

3 hours ago, Jethead said:

And if AR8 plays at MVP level...cowabunga!!!

I am trying to temper my expectations.  He's 40 years old, coming off a serious injury.  The little time we saw him play last year, including preseason, he looked significantly slower than his most recent MVP campaign.  The arm talent is still there.  If the OL can give him a clean pocket most of the time, good things.  Otherwise, well, I hate the thought of another season lost to injury.

10 hours ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

He's 40 until December. Calling him broken down is idiotic. But I know that's your perseverative narrative. I'm sure Bitonti will chime in about father time soon. 

He clearly hit the wall two years ago when he was 39 in December.   To think he's going to get better two years and a torn achilles later is wishful thinking at best.

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

He clearly hit the wall two years ago when he was 39 in December.   To think he's going to get better two years and a torn achilles later is wishful thinking at best.

Thumb then achilles.  Simple as that. Let's see what he's got before declaring him finished. My bet is that he'll surprise even the most stubborn doubters here. 

2 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Thumb then achilles.  Simple as that. Let's see what he's got before declaring him finished. My bet is that he'll surprise even the most stubborn doubters here. 

For sure.  I hope I'm wrong.  But what I saw of him two years was a shadow of himself - not the thumb but simply the way he moved.   Obviously didn't see enough last year to know if it was a fluke or not..

but somehow I don't see how two years later it's gotten better.  I'll be rooting for him.  I want a winner, badly.  And I really like this team.  I think we're a good QB short - hopefully he's the guy - I just think he's three years too old to be that guy.

this has been discussed ad nauseum.   rodgers played  with a broken thumb in 22. all reports are the armere looks great at all levels of the field.  theyre going to be somewhat conservative and pound the rock with breece and the rookie hall, rely on a stellar defense... then come playoff time rodgers will open it up if need be.  we need another veteran wr. if Wilson gets hurt we are screwed and I'm just not counting on mile Williams until later in the year. he's coming off an ACL, he's 30.  lazard is okay i guess as a backup and corley is a rookie.  we need a outside wr

I wouldn't mind signing michael Thomas.  he's obviously injury prone and not the same , but its a good lottery ticket, and at least gives us something until Mike is fully up to speed which will probably be before or around turkey day.   

I'd also like to bring in calias Campbell as more dline depth and I think after that we have a super bowl roster and should easily get to 13-14 wins and home field. if they keep rodgers healthy. but even if rodgers missed a couple games with an ankle or something I think we are fine with tyrod playing or even letting the kid travis get some reps late in games when we are blowing teams out . this team is loaded

Same thing was said about Brady at age 41 and 42 and 43 and 44. 

Rodgers is 40 and arm is rested

6 hours ago, Testaverde9819 said:

Same thing was said about Brady at age 41 and 42 and 43 and 44. 

Rodgers is 40 and arm is rested

Different guys.

First, Brady is an aberration.  Counting on Rodgers to be like the one of the very few guys in the history of the NFL to thrive past 40 is wishful thinking.

Second, Rodger's game is different from Brady's.   Brady was always a live and die within the pocket.  What made Rodgers exceptional was his ability to create on the move - he clearly doesn't move nearly as well as he used to.

Rodgers will surely be an upgrade over what we've had in the past decade, maybe even enough to sneak into the playoffs, but win a championship? I think that's a massive reach.

11 hours ago, Testaverde9819 said:

I wouldn't mind signing michael Thomas.  he's obviously injury prone and not the same , but its a good lottery ticket, and at least gives us something until Mike is fully up to speed which will probably be before or around turkey day.   

I'd also like to bring in calias Campbell as more dline depth and I think after that we have a super bowl roster and should easily get to 13-14 wins and home field. if they keep rodgers healthy. but even if rodgers missed a couple games with an ankle or something I think we are fine with tyrod playing or even letting the kid travis get some reps late in games when we are blowing teams out . this team is loaded

Thomas will be great for 1-2 plays before he gets injured

13 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

But what I saw of him two years was a shadow of himself - not the thumb but simply the way he moved.

Not gonna lie, literal laugh out loud here. I can only imagine all the time you spent watching Rodgers over the years, using your talent evaluating expertise to determine that the year following his back-to-back league MVP seasons, Rodgers just wasn’t moving the same to you. Not the loss of his coordinator, or his #1 WR being Lazard, or the broken thumb on his throwing hand, no, you could just see the physical decline that led to his disastrous 2022 season in the way he moved. We’re lucky to have your insight. 

• Haha 1