Goff Gets 4 Year $212m Deal

You have to wonder if mcvay made a mistake in moving from Goff to stafford.  Sure he got a Super Bowl but now he has to find a qb to replace stafford.  And considering he’s supposed to be some sort of qb/ offense guru you’d think he coulda made Goff into something special.

13 minutes ago, rangerous said:

the thing is they got to the show with goff too.  was stafford that much of a step up?

They won the Super Bowl with Stafford in a season where he threw for ~5,000 yards and 41 TDs. In the playoffs, Stafford averaged 297 yards/game and threw 9 TDs to 3 Ints. Goff was good, Stafford was great

Stafford wins Super Bowls that Goff loses.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Jack Straw said:

They won the Super Bowl with Stafford in a season where he threw for ~5,000 yards and 41 TDs. In the playoffs, Stafford averaged 297 yards/game and threw 9 TDs to 3 Ints. Goff was good, Stafford was great

Stafford wins Super Bowls that Goff loses.

Stafford threw to an all world kupp.  I don’t think kupp was the no 1 receiver when Goff was there.  Stafford will not ever be in a Super Bowl again unless he purchases a ticket.

• WTF? 1

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

Stafford threw to an all world kupp.  I don’t think kupp was the no 1 receiver when Goff was there.  Stafford will not ever be in a Super Bowl again unless he purchases a ticket.

I can't believe this is even a debate. Goff threw to Cooper Kupp for four years and had four years of Todd Gurley. 

• Upvote 1

No he was behind Robert Woods (86 rec 1200 yards) and Brandin cooks (80 1200) were 1 and 2 in the Super Bowl loss year for the rams. Cupp was #3. 8 games, 40 rec 580 and 6tds.

These are great weapons so let’s not act like Goff was playing with David Nelson and Jeremy Kerley.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

On 5/13/2024 at 4:41 PM, PS17 said:

The Chiefs locking up Mahomes at 10 years $500 million was a stroke of genius. If he hit the market every 3-4 years he’d probably make $65 million a year with the rising cap. 

I said it at the time, 50 mil per is going to be cheap a few years into it. 

43 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

The NFL should not count the number 1 QB towards the Cap. Then teams can pay them what ever the hell they want without costing in some cases 1/4 or more of the entire cap. 

Yeah, but you give a team like the Chiefs a bigger advantage.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

For whatever reason Goff was not doing it with the Rams.  McVay cut bait and won a Super Bowl.  Goff left Southern California, took his GF with him and focused on football in Detroit.  

I am not quite getting how QBs like Goff can get paid that type of money.   When a QB who is not super elite gets paid money like that (like a Josh Allen), that consumes money from the rest of the team, and the team takes a step back.   Goff getting paid an APY of $53mm is basically him saying pay me as much as possible and let the rest of the team figure it out.   I know the Lions gave out some other contracts as well.  

• Upvote 1

On 5/14/2024 at 9:44 AM, rangerous said:

the thing is they got to the show with goff too.  was stafford that much of a step up?

Well a SB win is a step up from a SB loss so yeah.

On 5/14/2024 at 5:43 PM, BurnleyJet said:

QB contracts are out of control.

This is the new NFL. It’s like the NBA - it’s about individual personalities that will be promoted and marketed. That’s what sells and sucks the average American fan in - not the team 

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
This is the new NFL. It’s like the NBA - it’s about individual personalities that will be promoted and marketed. That’s what sells and sucks the average American fan in - not the team 
Sad

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 2

Stafford is a better QB than the Jets Ever had.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

On 5/14/2024 at 11:30 AM, rangerous said:

Reminds me when I was told on JI board that Stafford was basically Mark Sanchez and you’d win the same # of games with either as your QB.  
Still goofy to think Stafford is inferior to Goff. Geoff’s on a better team right now, Stafford would win more games, go deeper in the playoffs with the Lions than Goff will. 

It's a lot of money. 170 is guaranteed. But 50 a year is the going rate for a good starting QB. And the NFL who is super rich with money coming in from all directions can afford it. The QBs are usually their star attractions. And some the biggest stars in all of sports. 

On 5/13/2024 at 5:42 PM, PS17 said:

Thrilled for Goff though who’s still underrated despite being lethal from the pocket. Thought he was cooked when discarded to Detroit. What a comeback story. 

He has a good HC and GM.  Also a great OC. 

we ain’t got any of that here.

he got lucky

7 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Reminds me when I was told on JI board that Stafford was basically Mark Sanchez and you’d win the same # of games with either as your QB.  
Still goofy to think Stafford is inferior to Goff. Geoff’s on a better team right now, Stafford would win more games, go deeper in the playoffs with the Lions than Goff will. 

So remind me of how many playoff games appeared in with the lions ?  And wasn’t he throwing to megatron?

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

So remind me of how many playoff games appeared in with the lions ?  And wasn’t he throwing to megatron?

Yeah, you’re right, Detroits been known as a team loaded with talent that should have made the playoffs for years.  

If not for Stafford throwing for 5000+ every year.  

• Haha 1