Jets send 2 assistants to coaching accelerator program

A pair of the New York Jets’ assistant coaches will attend the NFL’s coaching accelerator program

Two of the New York Jets’ top assistant coaches are set to attend a critical NFL program.

According to ESPN’s Rich Cimini, wide receivers coach Shawn Jefferson and tight ends coach Ron Middleton are listed as two of the coaches invited to the NFL’s coaching accelerator program. It will take place in Nashville during the league’s spring meetings and is meant to “allow owners to engage with qualified candidates from diverse backgrounds.”

Along with the two coaches from New York’s staff, coaches from various teams in the league will be in attendance. The Jets are tied with the Seahawks for having the most coaches in attendance, as the NFC-based team is also sending two of its staff members to the event.

It is encouraging to see two coaches from the Jets get an opportunity to develop their prospects further so that they can take over prominent roles in the future. Before returning to New York, Jefferson had developed a great reputation as a wide receivers coach. He is seen league-wide as a respected and talented coach.

While not currently serving in a prominent role for the Jets, Middleton is one of the most beloved coaches on Robert Saleh’s staff. This was most evident during the 2021 season, as Middleton took over as the Jets’ interim head coach for one week and led the Jets to a 26-21 victory over the Jaguars.

• Upvote 2

I know Middleton is beloved and all, but I’d like to see some actual development from Ruckert and/or Kuntz before moving him up the ladder. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, slats said:

I know Middleton is beloved and all, but I’d like to see some actual development from Ruckert and/or Kuntz before moving him up the ladder. 

Was about to say the same thing. What have the Jets tight ends done under him? Not saying its his fault but production is always mehh. 

3 hours ago, slats said:

Definitely a good point. I always wonder though, are the traits needed to be a good position coach or a good coordinator different than say a head coach. My hunch is that's why so many head coaches fail. We promote guys who are good coordinators but don't necessarily make for good head coaches. Middleton comes off as a guy who would be a good head coach but maybe not so much a good coordinator. Just a guess though.

Got to be at least a good position coach though. But the position coach to coordinator to head coach doesn't seem right to me.

22 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

Love that these 2 are in the pipeline for coaching opportunities. We either continue to groom them and bolster our staff or they get poached and we receive comp picks!

More likely the entire staff is fired before we ever get a comp pick from them getting poached

Heard a podcast somewhere and Ron Middleton was the guest, Seems like a fantastic guy. It was amazing hearing how much time and effort  this man puts into his job with the Jets and spends most of his spare time attending seminars ,webinars, and reading about how to be a great coach and leader. I'm really rooting for this guy.

On 5/19/2024 at 7:38 AM, slats said:

World’s worst 3rd stringer qb is gone, and that should help with evaluating them.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1