Two Jets LBs named among the best in the league

5 hours ago, Beerfish said:

LBs who make tackles are the very easiest thing to replace in the NFL.

Quincy is a full step above just making tackles, mosley is not and yet is paid a fortune.

They cut his pay about in half this year. His salary hasn’t stopped Douglas from putting together one of the best rosters in the league. I also think LBs who don’t make tackles are far easier to replace. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, varjet said:

The 2 of the other top 10 used to be Jets.   Wow.  

We have been pretty good at identifying LB talent but not great at developing it... CJ and Quincy are really the first ones to be really really good here, but many times JETs Lb's have gone on to be better than they were here. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Quincy is a full step above just making tackles, mosley is not and yet is paid a fortune.

What does "a full step above" mean, exactly?

Last year they both played about the same amount of time.

They both had 1 INT.

The both had 2 Forced Fumbles.

They both recovered 1 fumble.

Williams has 2.0 sacks to Mosely's 0.5, so thats a little better.

Williams had 15 TFL to Mosely's 5, and Mosely had 152 tackles to Williams 139.  Some of this could be scheme as well (i.e. Williams is sent in as a rusher more often while Mosely is tasked more side-to-side/coverage).

And of course, Mosely QB's the Defense, Williams does not.

So just curious, is the "a full step above" just the TFL's?

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, DJF71 said:

Jets can pick talent just can't win with it. 

Jets lost four games last year that the would have won with anything approximating a good NFL QB.  The individual talent at other positions was the reason.  Especially on defense and on offense Breece and G. Wilson.  Also... There was actually much better performance from the offensive line if they had anything approximating a good offensive coach.  They had the wrong QB and the wrong system for the catalog of offensive lineman that they had.  If they ran a simple man scheme, they would have looked a lot better. The Jets were not a bad team.  They were a good team with no QB and no OC.  Losing Rodgers caused both of those problems since he was also the de facto OC as well as QB.

• Upvote 1

Mosley will retire a Jet and will continue to spearhead the D for at least until the end of 2025.  I don't see him playing beyond this point, but hopefully we can find someone to replace his leadership. 

• Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, Warfish said:

What does "a full step above" mean, exactly?

Last year they both played about the same amount of time.

They both had 1 INT.

The both had 2 Forced Fumbles.

They both recovered 1 fumble.

Williams has 2.0 sacks to Mosely's 0.5, so thats a little better.

Williams had 15 TFL to Mosely's 5, and Mosely had 152 tackles to Williams 139.  Some of this could be scheme as well (i.e. Williams is sent in as a rusher more often while Mosely is tasked more side-to-side/coverage).

And of course, Mosely QB's the Defense, Williams does not.

So just curious, is the "a full step above" just the TFL's?

younger, faster, cheaper, does not get totally abused in coverage as much.

1 minute ago, Bronx said:

Mosley will retire a Jet and will continue to spearhead the D for at least until the end of 2025.  I don't see him playing beyond this point, but hopefully we can find someone to replace his leadership. 

Guy is a warrior ... he is not the same player as 4 years ago ... but has immense value in other aspects.   That kind of leadership is rare and frauds are easily seen through.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

I read somewhere that Mosely was actually top end in terms of coverage ... which surprised the hell out of me.

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

Younger is irrelevant, especially in a "win now" situation like 2024/2025.

Faster?  Debatable.  You have stats to back that up (40 times?) or is that just what your eyes tell you? 

Also, if he's so much faster, why don't we see that meaningfully in his overall production?

Cheaper?  Again, irrelevant right now.  We're not in a spot where we don't sign someone because of Mosely, lol.

As for coverage, A. I think he's better than you think/see, and again, there may be scheme reasons why Williams isn't in coverage as much as Mosely is.  Clearly the two have different roles in the D.

And is Williams ready to lead and QB the Defense?  We don't know, but what we do know is he doesn't currently.  

I'm all for proper future planning at LB, I wanted to draft one this past draft tbqh.  But Mosely is fine, more than enough in his role for this D to thrive.  He's not holding the D back in any way shape or form.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

I read somewhere that Mosely was actually top end in terms of coverage ... which surprised the hell out of me.

He is, but his critics either ignore that, or choose obscure alternative analysis metrics to say he isn't, lol.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

31 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Should have kept Luvu and cut Mosley. Quite obviously. 

That first half against BUF in his  first season here cemented Mosley as a Jet for life.  

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Beerfish said:

You keep saying this, yet it might be the main reason the 9ers lost the SB.