Wondering if the Jets would entertain bringing Al Woods back on a 1 year Veteran minimum deal.

I believe Al Woods went down with a torn Achilles week 8 against the Giants last season.

I wonder if he could be ready to roll by the start of the season.

He played the run really well and would be nice depth along the D-Line.

Probably not happening with Leki Fotu being signed, 

Fotu is a lot younger (25) but I believe Woods (even at 37) is still the better player, when healthy.

Woods hasn't retired (so I have to believe he's rehabbing) and is still unsigned.

Just pondering....

• Upvote 1

• ARodJetsFan changed the title to Wondering if the Jets would entertain bringing Al Woods back on a 1 year Veteran minimum deal.

I like Woods, and I hope that the Jets are considering it if Woods is healthy.  The problems is at his weight and his position, he's going to put a LOT of strain on that Achilles tendon.  If he's not 100%, he won't be effective, and it could increase the chances that he re-injures that Achilles or tears the other one compensating.

45 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

I like Woods, and I hope that the Jets are considering it if Woods is healthy.  The problems is at his weight and his position, he's going to put a LOT of strain on that Achilles tendon.  If he's not 100%, he won't be effective, and it could increase the chances that he re-injures that Achilles or tears the other one compensating.

I agree, obviously this would hinge on him being fully recovered by the start of the regular season.

Being a big guy (around 310 lbs) as you mentioned, it's not a slam dunk he will be ready by the start of the regular season, but with the medical advances in Achilles surgery over the last couple of years, I wouldn't say that it's impossible.

Or, giving it some more thought, they could sign-him and just place him on IR, until he is fully recovered & activate him later in the season.

It might be worth an exploratory phone call from Saleh/Douglas to check in on Woods & gauge his interest, see how his rehab is going & find out if he still wants to play,

He'd be good to have around, even if it was just for later in the season.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

I agree, obviously this would hinge on him being fully recovered by the start of the regular season.

Being a big guy (around 310 lbs) as you mentioned, it's not a slam dunk he will be ready by the start of the regular season, but with the medical advances in Achilles surgery over the last couple of years, I wouldn't say that it's impossible.

Or, giving it some more thought, they could sign-him and just place him on IR, until he is fully recovered & activate him later in the season.

It might be worth an exploratory phone call from Saleh/Douglas to check in on Woods & gauge his interest, see how his rehab is going & find out if he still wants to play,

He'd be good to have around, even if it was just for later in the season.

Great thinking outside of the box!!!  Yes, he would be a great add for the late season push and the playoffs.  He'd have some rust, but be fresh when other players were getting tired and beat down.