Which Offensive Personnel Groupings Do You Expect to See the Most This Season?

Reminder:

10 Personnel= 1 RB; 0 TE; 4 WR

11 Personnel= 1 RB; 1 TE; 3 WR

12 Personnel= 1 RB; 2TE; 2 WR

21 Personnel= 2 RB; 1 TE; 2 WR

With the additions of Allen & Davis, I could see an HB/FB being run on short yardage plays. 
If Jets are looking to establish a power running game similar to Ravens/Titans then the 12 personnel may be a more popular option on early downs. 

So anxious for this season to get underway, I can’t help imagining what the plan is with the new additions we obtained this offseason.

• Upvote 2

It has to be 11 personnel with Lazard, Wilson and Williams outside. What comes after is sort of tricky as Ruckert is a FB/TE. During pre-snap he can easily shift from 12 to 21 (or vice versa). 10 personnel better be the least used and if not them something went left.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

Reminder:

With the additions of Allen & Davis, I could see an HB/FB being run on short yardage plays. 
If Jets are looking to establish a power running game similar to Ravens/Titans then the 12 personnel may be a more popular option on early downs. 

So anxious for this season to get underway, I can’t help imagining what the plan is with the new additions we obtained this offseason.

11 about 60% of the time

12 about 20%

10 and 21 about 10%

• Upvote 4

37 minutes ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

It has to be 11 personnel with Lazard, Wilson and Williams outside. What comes after is sort of tricky as Ruckert is a FB/TE. During pre-snap he can easily shift from 12 to 21 (or vice versa). 10 personnel better be the least used and if not them something went left.

So, you’re looking to have Lazard in the slot on most plays?

One thing I want to see more of this season is WAYYY more motion ( both in the backfield and along the line) and more exotic looks to confuse the defense…. Loading Corley, Williams and Wilson on one side for quick WR screens, bringing Corley into the backfield like Debo or bringing Breece out wide.

Our offense was so vanilla last year. You can blame Zach but I’ve seen other OC do more with less.

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, chirorob said:

11 about 60% of the time

12 about 20%

10 and 21 about 10%

Ok, I’m good with that. I’m really interested to see how they plan on using these RBs. 4th and 5th rd. picks in addition to BH & Izzy. It couldn’t have been BAP at that point in the draft. Redundant for a reason? 

This is Rodgers offense and my expectation is that while on the field, he’s calling audibles to take advantage of what the defense is giving us. Most teams will make the running game beat them, rather than the quick strike ability Rodgers possesses. Total opposite of the Zach Wilson era. Breece can have an exceptional year!

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

11 personnel. Williams and Wilson on the outside with Lazard at the slot. Corley takes over as the full-slot slot after game four or so.

I think 12 personnel will be our second most used formation.

I agree that 11 personnel will be the Jets base offense just like it is for the rest of the league. I don’t agree on the receivers. I expect Lazard to primarily be working outside while Williams recovers, with Corley and Gipson getting most of the reps in the slot. Training camp and health will determine who starts when. It will be very good news if Brownlee can push himself into the conversation on the outside, too. Agree that either way, Corley will be the starter in the slot within four or five weeks. 

Alternate groupings will depend on the development of Allen, Davis, Ruckert, and Kuntz. If any of those guys demonstrate that they deserve to be on the field, Hackett will need to figure out how to get them there. 

24 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Ok, I’m good with that. I’m really interested to see how they plan on using these RBs. 4th and 5th rd. picks in addition to BH & Izzy. It couldn’t have been BAP at that point in the draft. Redundant for a reason? 

This is Rodgers offense and my expectation is that while on the field, he’s calling audibles to take advantage of what the defense is giving us. Most teams will make the running game beat them, rather than the quick strike ability Rodgers possesses. Total opposite of the Zach Wilson era. Breece can have an exceptional year!

I think if the Jets are for real, Breece is gonna be close to 2000 yards.   That being said, 17 games + playoffs is a long game, and Breece gets 15 carries a game, some others are going to need to get 15 carries a game as well.

Especially the 1st three games of the season.   You can't give Breece 75 touches in 10 days, that's how you destroy players for a season.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, chirorob said:

I think if the Jets are for real, Breece is gonna be close to 2000 yards.   That being said, 17 games + playoffs is a long game, and Breece gets 15 carries a game, some others are going to need to get 15 carries a game as well.

Especially the 1st three games of the season.   You can't give Breece 75 touches in 10 days, that's how you destroy players for a season.

Izzy will be getting a bunch of carries to spell breece.  He is going to be real exciting this year.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Reminder:

I would so love to see 11 as much as possible.  But of course, we won't.  Jets fans haven't been entitled to 11-dominant in decades.  Undoubtedly there will be too much 21 and or 12 for my liking.  They will look to keep Rodgers healthy and in one piece.  Lots of 21/12 on the way.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I would so love to see 11 as much as possible.  But of course, we won't.  Jets fans haven't been entitled to 11-dominant in decades.  Undoubtedly there will be too much 21 and or 12 for my liking.  They will look to keep Rodgers healthy and in one piece.  Lots of 21/12 on the way.

SF- 12 personnel 50% Max protection for Rodgers.
Take no chances with Rodgers getting injured against a Top 3 defense. Quick hit slants to GW, check downs to Breece. Ball needs to be out in 2-2.5 seconds. Come away healthy 

Tenn & NE I think we can get into our normal offensive sets featuring Rodgers.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Reminder:

It will be interesting to see how they begin the season.  Overall, I think we'll probably see 11 Personnel the most, but at least initially we could see more 12 and 21 Personnel sets.  I hope that we will see a LOT more of 21 and 12 Personnel, respectively.  I think the Jets can do a lot of damage in 21 Personnel looks.  Be it Breece and Izzy or Breece and Allen or Davis, along with G. Wilson and either M. Williams or Corley, and Conklin, they would have too many weapons where Ds would have a very difficult time trying to double anyone, and they wouldn't know whether the Jets were running (and if so who) or throwing the ball (in 21 Personnel there would be 5 different possibilities just as in the other sets, but with perhaps a greater variety of routes and abilities of the various weapons). 12 Personnel sets would get Ruckert on the field more which I think should definitely happen.

Unless Lazard returns to his prior GB level of play and either Gipson or Brownlee take major steps up, I doubt we will see many 10 Personnel sets until Mike Williams is fully healthy and Corley up to speed. We may not even see all that many 11 Personnel sets, although that would be a bit surprising.  If Williams isn't healthy to start the season and Lazard still looks as bad as last season, the 3 WRs would either have to be G. Wilson, Corley or Gipson and Brownlee, unless they come up with an offense with 2 slot WRs.

3 hours ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

I disagree.  Williams may not be ready to go to begin the season, and in fact, I'll be surprised if he is ready or even if he is, if he is all that effective.  Lazard could still look as bad as he did last season.  What then?  It would then be G. Wilson, maybe Lazard and either Corley or Gipson, but if Lazard isn't playing well, that would mean G. Wilson, Brownlee and Corley or Gipson, which wouldn't be our best lineup imo. If that was the situation, then I think the Jets would be better off going with 21 or 12 Personnel sets most of the time.

2 hours ago, slats said:

I agree that 11 personnel will be the Jets base offense just like it is for the rest of the league. I don’t agree on the receivers. I expect Lazard to primarily be working outside while Williams recovers, with Corley and Gipson getting most of the reps in the slot. Training camp and health will determine who starts when. It will be very good news if Brownlee can push himself into the conversation on the outside, too. Agree that either way, Corley will be the starter in the slot within four or five weeks. 

Alternate groupings will depend on the development of Allen, Davis, Ruckert, and Kuntz. If any of those guys demonstrate that they deserve to be on the field, Hackett will need to figure out how to get them there. 

The TE group will be interesting. Conklin, Ruckert, Yeboah and Kuntz battling it out. Yeaboah & Kuntz will vie for #3… more of a receiving WR

2 hours ago, chirorob said:

11 about 60% of the time

12 about 20%

10 and 21 about 10%

Do you still think they'll use 11 Personnel sets if M. Williams isn't healthy or effective early and Lazard is continuing his poor play of last season? I would hope not.  In that scenario, I would think that 12 Personnel sets should increase to around 35-40%, 21 Personnel sets to around the same amount, 11 Personnel sets decrease to 20-25% and 10 Personnel sets be non-existent until Williams is healthy and Lazard shows why the Jets signed him to such a big contract.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Unless Williams is healthy and effective and Lazard is playing at a much higher level than last season, I really can't see how they will run 11 Personnel sets 60% of the time.  If they do, unless Corley is ready day one, or Gipson and Brownlee prove to be revelations, I don't think our offense will be very effective and the Jets will lose most of their early games, if not all.

• WTF? 1

2 hours ago, slats said:

In a normal situation, I would expect the 11 Personnel to be the norm. If Williams isn't healthy, and Lazard looks like he did last year, would you expect that to still be the norm early?  I think overall for the season, 11 Personnel will be and should be the norm.  For it to be the norm early, then the following things would need to be true:  Williams is healthy and showing no ill effects from the torn ACL or surgery or Lazard looks like he did at his best in GB.  If both of those things aren't true, then that means they will have to count on Brownlee, and he'd have to look a whole lot better than he did last year.  I think Corley and Gipson would be fine as the 3rd WR.  It's the #2 that I have questions about.

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

SF- 12 personnel 50% Max protection for Rodgers.
Take no chances with Rodgers getting injured against a Top 3 defense. Quick hit slants to GW, check downs to Breece. Ball needs to be out in 2-2.5 seconds. Come away healthy 

Tenn & NE I think we can get into our normal offensive sets featuring Rodgers.

Yeah, I agree, but I just  think that as a lifelong fan, I've enjoyed the team the most when it has had the WR ammunition to run 11 personnel. The only times I remember actually enjoying the Jets offense since becoming a STH 40 years ago, were with these six groups of 3 WRs:

Toon, Walker, Townsell
Johnson, Chrebet, Ward
Chrebet, Coles, Moss
Coles, Cotch, Brad Smith
Edwards, Holmes, Cotch
Marshall, Decker, Enunwa

That's it.  That might add up to 8, maybe 9, years over a 40 year span. 

:bag: :bag: :bag:

Since 1984, other than those groups, this team has never had the talent to attempt 11 personnel on a regular basis.  

I'm happy enough with the draft, but this would have been orgasmic:  Wilson, M Williams, Odunze.  Sigh.  I can't tell you how much better I like that. 

Meaningless wins last season killed that dream. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Coles, Cotch, Brad Smith
Edwards, Holmes, Cotch

You’ll remember that we had an excellent running attack in those years. With Rodgers running the offense he will be seeing a lot of two deep safeties. Getting the running game going will be important. We need an attack getting 4-4.5 yards/carry. Then the safety will start moving up and then Rodgers can work his magic 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

So, you’re looking to have Lazard in the slot on most plays?

One thing I want to see more of this season is WAYYY more motion ( both in the backfield and along the line) and more exotic looks to confuse the defense…. Loading Corley, Williams and Wilson on one side for quick WR screens, bringing Corley into the backfield like Debo or bringing Breece out wide.

Our offense was so vanilla last year. You can blame Zach but I’ve seen other OC do more with less.

Favre didn’t like motion and had all plays with motion removed from the playbook.  Wasn’t Vanilla and we moved the ball, scored plenty of points

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Favre didn’t like motion and had all plays with motion removed from the playbook.  Wasn’t Vanilla and we moved the ball, scored plenty of points

Different era. All the top offensive teams all use motion. 49ers, KC, Detroit, Eagles. Ravens don’t use too much motion but… well, Lamar

@32EBoozer What don't you understand about my post?  Do you really think that an 11 Personnel set requiring 3 WRs will work well with one quality starter in G. Wilson and a couple of 2nd year players who haven't shown much, or perhaps a rookie and a 2nd year player or a rookie and Lazard the way he played last year?  Hopefully, none of that will be the case.  Hopefully, Williams will be ready to go day one or Lazard will have shaken off last season and look like a different player with Rodgers at QB.  If neither of those are the case, however, I think it would be better for the Jets to run more 12 and 21 Personnel sets, until Williams gets healthy or Lazard shows that he can be reliable.

4 hours ago, JKlecko said:

Do you still think they'll use 11 Personnel sets if M. Williams isn't healthy or effective early and Lazard is continuing his poor play of last season? I would hope not.  In that scenario, I would think that 12 Personnel sets should increase to around 35-40%, 21 Personnel sets to around the same amount, 11 Personnel sets decrease to 20-25% and 10 Personnel sets be non-existent until Williams is healthy and Lazard shows why the Jets signed him to such a big contract.

Early on, yeah.

Ruckert had some mistakes and penalties, so depends on his progression

1 hour ago, JKlecko said:

@32EBoozer What don't you understand about my post? 

4 hours ago, JKlecko said:

I don't think our offense will be very effective and the Jets will lose most of their early games, if not all.

SF

Tenn

Pats

At a minimum we will be 2-1

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

SF

Tenn

Pats

At a minimum we will be 2-1

That's what our record should be, but that doesn't mean that's what it will be if our offense struggles early.

17 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

That's what our record should be, but that doesn't mean that's what it will be if our offense struggles early.

You didn’t say that… you said you expect us to lose most of the early games.. if not all.

You’re forgetting about our defense. We don’t need to put up 24 points to win week 2 & 3. Just decent Qb play, run the ball and NO TURNOVERS 

SF probably.