Surgery 4 1/2 hrs - Update: Operation was a Success

14 hours ago, Swampfox said:

Mods  please put this where it belongs.  60 % chance of radiation and chemo but at lower doses if necess.  Dr said he got all the margins clear also but waiting on path reports in 2 weeks.  Very sorry mods   not tech savvy  please  move   Lots of pain next 7 days   worse than mother in law visiting     Doped up     GO JETS

Glad to hear that your surgery was a success!  Just curious, what do you think caused the throat cancer?  Are you a tobacco user?  

Im a weekend/casual cigar smoker that’s thinking about quitting. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Glad to hear that your surgery was a success!  Just curious, what do you think caused the throat cancer?  Are you a tobacco user?  

My brother had esophageal cancer and he was a heavy cigarette smoker. Any tobacco use is going to increase your chances of getting cancer. With cigars (assuming you don't inhale them) the risk is with mouth and throat cancer.

• Sympathy 1

15 hours ago, Swampfox said:

Mods  please put this where it belongs.  60 % chance of radiation and chemo but at lower doses if necess.  Dr said he got all the margins clear also but waiting on path reports in 2 weeks.  Very sorry mods   not tech savvy  please  move   Lots of pain next 7 days   worse than mother in law visiting     Doped up     GO JETS

Great post and you still have your sense of humor, get well fast Swamp.

18 hours ago, Swampfox said:

Happy to hear it went well.  It's emotionally very hard to wait for those path results...  hang in there...  

And your comp of the post surgery pain to that from a visiting MIL, made me spit up my coffee.  Well done.  

13 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

No, I don't smoke. Cancer diagnosed as Squamous cell P-16 with HPV virus positive. Smokers are usually HPV negative and have somewhat worse survival rate 3-5 years.  Weird. Good chance this was caused by a certain  fungus.  Have a chiropractor (that does alternative medicine) test you for fungus and try to get rid of it. I have better than 50-50 of beating this for now but who knows. Tumor removed from throat and neck lymph nodes. Extremely painful swallowing pills. Thanks to my fellow Jet fans for all your prayers. June 13 I find out if I need rad and chemo. If so, not as strong doses as surgery removed the big tumors. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/2/2024 at 9:29 PM, Swampfox said:

No, I don't smoke. Cancer diagnosed as Squamous cell P-16 with HPV virus positive. Smokers are usually HPV negative and have somewhat worse survival rate 3-5 years.  Weird. Good chance this was caused by a certain  fungus.  Have a chiropractor (that does alternative medicine) test you for fungus and try to get rid of it. I have better than 50-50 of beating this for now but who knows. Tumor removed from throat and neck lymph nodes. Extremely painful swallowing pills. Thanks to my fellow Jet fans for all your prayers. June 13 I find out if I need rad and chemo. If so, not as strong doses as surgery removed the big tumors. 

Just checking on you Swamp, hope the news was positive and you are recovering.