6 Anticipated Roster Spot Battles - You Make the Call

Roster Spot Battles  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Running Back - If it comes down to these 2 for the last roster spot, who will win?

• Israel Abanikanda
    • Nick Bawden
  2. 2. Wide Receiver - If it comes down to these 2 for the last roster spot, who will win?

• Irvin Charles
    • Jason Brownlee
  3. 3. Tight End - If it comes down to these 2 for the last roster spot, who will win?

• Zack Kuntz
    • Kenny Yeboah
  4. 4. Offensive Line - If it comes down to these 3 for the last roster spot, who will win?

• Xavier Newman
    • Chris Glaser
    • Jake Hanson
  5. 5. Defensive Line - If it comes down to these 5 for the last roster spot, who will win?

• Jalyn Holmes
    • Leonard Taylor
    • Eric Watts
    • Braiden McGregor
    • Tyreek Johnson
  6. 6. 53rd Spot - If it comes down to these 8 players for the last spot - the very last spot regardless of position, who will win?

• Braiden McGregor Edge
    • Jaylen Key S
    • Irvin Charles WR
    • Jake Hanson OL
    • Jarrick Bernard-Converse S
    • Zack Kuntz TE
    • Nick Bawden FB
    • Israel Abanikanda RB

I don't think Izzy or Bawden make it. I voted for Izzy, but he seems to be in the dog house for whatever reason.

Charles gets the nod for ST.

Kuntz because he is a freak of an athlete.

Hanson, because he was OK last year. Newman was not good last year.

I went with McGregor, shocked he went undrafted.

• Upvote 3

I could see both TEs making the roster, with that being the larger factor in Bawden not making it. I think Brownlee and Charles could both make the roster, too, with Gipson being the WR more on the bubble - although carrying 7 WRs wouldn’t be out of the question, especially if Williams still isn’t ready to open the season. 

Newman because been there done that, but I think that roster spot is probably a mini-draft selection. I don’t think they’ll carry more than 9. Watts because DT is a bigger need than Edge, but McGregor could make it, too, should they decide to carry 10 DL. That’s where they want developmental players in the pipeline. 

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, slats said:

I could see both TEs making the roster, with that being the larger factor in Bawden not making it. I think Brownlee and Charles could both make the roster, too, with Gipson being the WR more on the bubble - although carrying 7 WRs wouldn’t be out of the question, especially if Williams still isn’t ready to open the season. 

Newman because been there done that, but I think that roster spot is probably a mini-draft selection. I don’t think they’ll carry more than 9. Watts because DT is a bigger need than Edge, but McGregor could make it, too, should they decide to carry 10 DL. That’s where they want developmental players in the pipeline. 

I can see 7 wrs because Williams is still rehabbing and is here on a one year deal.   Also WRs have become as expensive as franchise QBs so they need to develop a pipe line of them.

• Upvote 2

It's definitely early to be doing this as we haven't seen how any of the players do in TC or preseason.  There's a difference between who I think will win and who I want to win in these battles.

In the Izzy vs Bawden battle, I think Izzy should win as he's the more talented player and he's young, but for some reason, the Jets seem to really like Bawden. Why, I have no clue.

In the Charles vs Brownlee battle, I think Brownlee has more upside and is the more talented, but Charles is the major gunner and one of our best STs players, so I think he would be the one the Jets keep, although I think I would rather it be Brownlee.  I need to see what Brownlee can do in TC and preseason.

In the Kuntz vs Yeboah battle, I think it's hands down Yeboah, and he is whom I want to win. I don't understand why half the voters think Kuntz will win.  He has shown nothing. Yeah, he got scout team work with Rodgers at the end of the season, but Yeboah is a good STer, he's a better blocker, and better receiver.  Kuntz is just faster and more athletic.

In the OL battle, I think Hanson will be the winner.  The Jets were quick to re-sign him this offseason. I thought Newman showed some potential last season.  He just kind of got thrown in there, and held his own pretty well, plus he can play C, whereas I think both Hanson and Glaser only play OG.  Glaser looked good in preseason last year with the 2nd string, but I don't remember how he may have played during the regular season.

At this point in the DL battle, I think Holmes would win.  He's a proven vet. None of the others have shown much yet.  Taylor probably is the most talented, but may have the worst work ethic. McGregor or Watts could have a great TC and preseason and win.  It will be interesting.  Hopefully, it will be a real battle between all of them and will go down to the wire.

In the 53rd spot battle, in terms of contributions to the team, I think it both will be and should be Charles.  They need more than Schweitzer as IOL depth, however, so if it came down to keeping 7 WRs with Charles and only Schweitzer, or both Schweitzer and Hanson and only 6 WRs, I'd go with Hanson.  If I were the Jets, I'd cut Bawden now.  I think he's a wasted roster spot.  Key and McGregor can go onto the PS if nothing else.  It will be interesting to see if JBC and Kuntz show anything in TC and preseason. Kuntz will be a FA in 2025.  I'm not sure about JBC. He could potentially go to the PS if he shows any promise.  I'm rooting for Izzy primarily because of his speed and youth, but he has to be able to pass protect and be a threat as a receiver.

• Upvote 2

Izzy if I had to choose, but I can see a scenario where neither make the 53

Wouldn't be surprised if both of those WRs make it.  Brownlee because they are high on him, and Charles because he's going to be pretty important for ST

TE I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Kuntz.  I know they like Yeboah for his versatility but I'm expecting Kuntz to take a nice step in TC this year.  If he does, I don't see how they risk losing him.  Yeboah seems like the type of dude who will be a safe bet to make it to the practice squad without getting picked up by another team.  If Kuntz shines in camp the way I think he will, some team will take a flier on him for their 53.

Literally no preference on the OGs but picked Newman since he seemed to get the most playing time last year, as far as I remember.  Whoever looks the best should make the team though, obviously.  No idea who will take that spot.

Watts seems like a favorite right now, but I'm hoping Taylor makes it as well.  I wouldn't be opposed to carrying 5 DEs and 5 DTs(JJ, Reddick, McDonald, Clemons, Watts for DE;  Quinnen, Kinlaw, Fotu, Thomas, Taylor for DT)

Based on the other answers I gave, the guy for that last pick has to be JBC.  Pretty much based completely on draft pedigree and need.  

If you can IR Travis, I'm looking(based purely on name value and my expectations, but this can and most likely will change by the time cut-down day comes):

QB: Rodgers, Tyrod  (Travis on IR)   -  2

RB: Breece, Allen, Davis   -  3

WR: Garrett, Williams, Corley, Lazard, Brownlee, Gipson   -  6

TE: Conklin, Ruckert, Kuntz   -  3

OT:  Smith, Moses, Olu, Warren, Mitchell   -  5

IOL:  Tipp, AVT, Simpson, Schweitzer, Random Backup  -  5

Offense total:  24

DE:  JJ, Reddick, McDonald, Clemons, Watts   -  5

DT:  Quinnen, Kinlaw, Fotu, Thomas, Taylor   -  5

LB:  Mosley, Quincy, Sherwood, Barnes   -  4

CB:  Sauce, Reed, Carter II, Echols, Stiggers   -  5

S:  Adams, Clark, Davis, Oliver, JBC   -  5

Defense total:  24

ST:  Zuerlein(K), Morstead(P), Hennessey(LS), Charles(gunner)

Total:  4

Roster Total:  52

One last spot can go to whoever you feel like you can't afford to lose between Izzy, Surratt, Bawden, Key, etc 

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Agree with everything except that the Kuntz/Yeboah call is a toss up. Yeboah looks good. Kuntz to the PS seems possible again. 

I like Kuntz, and maybe I am bias against Yeboah because of DWC. I don't know.

What does Yeboah bring to the table? Kuntz is an unknown.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, bonkertons said:

Izzy if I had to choose, but I can see a scenario where neither make the 53

Wouldn't be surprised if both of those WRs make it.  Brownlee because they are high on him, and Charles because he's going to be pretty important for ST

TE I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Kuntz.  I know they like Yeboah for his versatility but I'm expecting Kuntz to take a nice step in TC this year.  If he does, I don't see how they risk losing him.  Yeboah seems like the type of dude who will be a safe bet to make it to the practice squad without getting picked up by another team.  If Kuntz shines in camp the way I think he will, some team will take a flier on him for their 53.

Literally no preference on the OGs but picked Newman since he seemed to get the most playing time last year, as far as I remember.  Whoever looks the best should make the team though, obviously.  No idea who will take that spot.

Watts seems like a favorite right now, but I'm hoping Taylor makes it as well.  I wouldn't be opposed to carrying 5 DEs and 5 DTs(JJ, Reddick, McDonald, Clemons, Watts for DE;  Quinnen, Kinlaw, Fotu, Thomas, Taylor for DT)

Based on the other answers I gave, the guy for that last pick has to be JBC.  Pretty much based completely on draft pedigree and need.  

If you can IR Travis, I'm looking(based purely on name value and my expectations, but this can and most likely will change by the time cut-down day comes):

QB: Rodgers, Tyrod  (Travis on IR)   -  2

RB: Breece, Allen, Davis   -  3

WR: Garrett, Williams, Corley, Lazard, Brownlee, Gipson   -  6

TE: Conklin, Ruckert, Kuntz   -  3

OT:  Smith, Moses, Olu, Warren, Mitchell   -  5

IOL:  Tipp, AVT, Simpson, Schweitzer, Random Backup  -  5

Offense total:  24

DE:  JJ, Reddick, McDonald, Clemons, Watts   -  5

DT:  Quinnen, Kinlaw, Fotu, Thomas, Taylor   -  5

LB:  Mosley, Quincy, Sherwood, Barnes   -  4

CB:  Sauce, Reed, Carter II, Echols, Stiggers   -  5

S:  Adams, Clark, Davis, Oliver, JBC   -  5

Defense total:  24

ST:  Zuerlein(K), Morstead(P), Hennessey(LS), Charles(gunner)

Total:  4

Roster Total:  52

One last spot can go to whoever you feel like you can't afford to lose between Izzy, Surratt, Bawden, Key, etc 

Excellent job, except I think they'll keep 4 RB.  It will be great if they can put Travis on the PUP or IR.  IMO unless Mitchell shows major improvement this TC, I hope he's not on the team.  I hope that you're right about Kuntz, but I'm not expecting anything from him. I think Yeboah will win the 3rd TE spot pretty much by default, unless one of the UDFAs really show out in TC and preseason.  As far as the 4th LB spot, I don't care if it's Barnes or Surratt.  I'd be happy with either.  Barnes is homegrown, but Surratt is one of our better coverage LBs, although he has issues staying healthy.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Claymation said:

I like Kuntz, and maybe I am bias against Yeboah because of DWC. I don't know.

What does Yeboah bring to the table? Kuntz is an unknown.

Yeboah is a solid receiver with the ability to make some athletic catches, is a pretty good blocker, and a good STer.  Kuntz looked lost last season in preseason.  IMO the only thing that he has going for him is his freaky athleticism.  To earn a spot on the team, he's going to have to show something in TC and preseason.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, JKlecko said:

Yeboah is a solid receiver with the ability to make some athletic catches, is a pretty good blocker, and a good STer.  Kuntz looked lost last season in preseason.  IMO the only thing that he has going for him is his freaky athleticism.  To earn a spot on the team, he's going to have to show something in TC and preseason.

Yeboah has 4 receptions in 3 years, and a drop. 

And while Kuntz got called out for running the wrong route on the TD reception by Aaron. Aaron did make mention the strides he made on the scout team. Kuntz may not amount to much, but Yeboah brings nothing to the table after 3 years.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Claymation said:

Yeboah has 4 receptions in 3 years, and a drop. 

And while Kuntz got called out for running the wrong route on the TD reception by Aaron. Aaron did make mention the strides he made on the scout team. Kuntz may not amount to much, but Yeboah brings nothing to the table after 3 years.

I disagree.  It's kind of hard to compile stats when you're on the PS, as Yeboah has been for most of the time since he was drafted.  Go back and look at some of his video from college against other SEC teams.  He made some great catches.  We'll see who comes out ahead.  It would be great if Kuntz could learn how to play the game because of his freaky athleticism, but I'll believe it when I see it. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, JKlecko said:

I disagree.  It's kind of hard to compile stats when you're on the PS, as Yeboah has been for most of the time since he was drafted.  Go back and look at some of his video from college against other SEC teams.  He made some great catches.  We'll see who comes out ahead.  It would be great if Kuntz could learn how to play the game because of his freaky athleticism, but I'll believe it when I see it. 

Yeboah has been plagued with focus drops. A long stride, and not a good route runner. And its not like the Jets have elite players in front of him at the TE position. He hasn't made the most of his opportunities.

Kuntz is an unknown, but I am willing to roll the dice with a player that is one of the best athletes at the TE position in the league. Make it happen Tanny.

7 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Jet fans........................

Izzy is rb2.  Accept it.

Yeboah is te3 if hes lucky.  Accept it.

Ballpark, what is the percentage on getting your NY Jets predictions right?

Just curious.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, slats said:

This Izzy hill of yours is a bit much. He was Dalvin Cook bad last year - as in both of those players averaged 3.2 ypc. Meanwhile Breece was at 4.5 and the exiled MC1 was at 4.8. In fact, they didn’t sign Cook until after they had a pretty long look at Izzy, bringing him in in the middle of August and handing him the backup role. 

This year, they drafted two big backs. They’re looking for a pile pusher. While I’ll continue to occasionally push my brilliant plan to make Allen a FB, he has probably had the inside track to be RB2 this year since the second he was drafted. But I won’t be shocked if Davis steals it away, either. 

I’m not gonna come right out and say that he’s on the bubble, but he’s probably right there. He has a big preseason coming up. He’s needs to demonstrate that he can be that one cut and go guy, because he’s no power runner and he’s pretty useless as a receiver. 

The equally confusing part is his last take about Yeboah being a TE3 if he's lucky. Well... yeah, that's the spot he's competing for: the TE spot behind Conklin & Ruckert. Kuntz is competing for that same spot, as they both enter camp this summer. 

12 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The equally confusing part is his last take about Yeboah being a TE3 if he's lucky. Well... yeah, that's the spot he's competing for: the TE spot behind Conklin & Ruckert. Kuntz is competing for that same spot, as they both enter camp this summer. 

There are people on this board claiming yeboah is taking ruckerts spot.

5 hours ago, slats said:

This Izzy hill of yours is a bit much. He was Dalvin Cook bad last year - as in both of those players averaged 3.2 ypc. Meanwhile Breece was at 4.5 and the exiled MC1 was at 4.8. In fact, they didn’t sign Cook until after they had a pretty long look at Izzy, bringing him in in the middle of August and handing him the backup role. 

This year, they drafted two big backs. They’re looking for a pile pusher. While I’ll continue to occasionally push my brilliant plan to make Allen a FB, he has probably had the inside track to be RB2 this year since the second he was drafted. But I won’t be shocked if Davis steals it away, either. 

I’m not gonna come right out and say that he’s on the bubble, but he’s probably right there. He has a big preseason coming up. He’s needs to demonstrate that he can be that one cut and go guy, because he’s no power runner and he’s pretty useless as a receiver. 

Running backs need to get in a rythem.  Im not basing my thoughts on Izzy in games where he got 2 or 3 carries.

I saw him in the preseason last year where he looked great.  I saw him vs the redskins when he got 9 carries and had 43 yards.

Everyone on this board was excited about Izzys talent then the jets drafted a rb 3 and rb 4 and everyone lost their minds and started this Izzy sucks stuff.

Jet fans…………

6 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

There are people on this board claiming yeboah is taking ruckerts spot.

And that might happen, but that's an uphill battle & as of now he's competing for the TE3 spot. He has to win that role before he demotes the current TE2. 

He's competing with Kuntz for the TE3 job. If, in the course of that competition, he leapfrogs Ruckert then what happens happens. But if the team was that down on Ruckert already, then they'd have made a play for at least one new TE body in the draft or FA (like they did at RB). 

• Sympathy 1

7 hours ago, Claymation said:

Yeboah has been plagued with focus drops. A long stride, and not a good route runner. And its not like the Jets have elite players in front of him at the TE position. He hasn't made the most of his opportunities.

Kuntz is an unknown, but I am willing to roll the dice with a player that is one of the best athletes at the TE position in the league. Make it happen Tanny.

Yep, focus drops are a problem with him, but he also makes some amazing catches, so the problem isn't his hands.  It would definitely be great if Kuntz could learn to play TE, but until he does, I would go with the guy who knows how to play and contributes on STs,  I basically just root for Yeboah because I want all players the Jets draft or sign to develop and play well.  I would be happy if Kuntz develops and forces his way ahead of Yeboah and into playing time.  I'd be happy if the Jets top two TEs next season are Ruckert and Kuntz, but I'm not going to hold my breath on that.

6 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I remember Yeboah being spotlighted for making a big blocking play on specials last year... his interview below backs up the work he focused there which Kuntz hasn't demonstrated yet, that I'm aware of.

https://www.newyorkjets.com/video/kenny-yeboah-jets-free-agency-interview

• Upvote 1

Apart from the fact that its super early and we may still see some unanticipated roster moves on the horizon, it's also hard to look at these roster spot battles without looking at the roster as a whole. It really makes a lot more sense to try and put together a 53 man roster (again, even though its super early) to see who ends up getting the short end of the stick. 

Offense: 26

QB: x3 - Arod, Taylor, Travis

RB: x4 - Breece, Allen, Davis, Izzy

*JD has played his hand. The Jets will run the ball down team's throats, play defense and keep the opposing offense off the field. This will help them protect Rodgers, it will help them win games in bad weather, it will make them a good road team, it will make them a tough out against teams with top QBs. They are keeping x4 TRUE RBs. They are switching to a gap, power scheme. And we see the first domino fall - Bawden is out.

TE: x3 - Conk, Ruckert, Yeboah

*Another domino falls. Yaboah gets the nob over Kuntz because of what he brings on specials, because he has shown more as a blocker (see above RE: run game) and because he has more experience. 

WR: x6 - GW, Will, Corley, Lazard, Charles, Gipson

*Charles over Brownlee. He is their top gunner and I'm sure the Jets will look to continue developing him as a receiver with his size/speed combination. In fact, I would say its Gipson over Brownlee because of what he brings as a returner and backup slot. I'm THAT confident in Charles' roster spot. 

O-line: x10 - Smith, Simpson, Sperm Edwards is the greatest!!! OMG I love-love-love him!!!, AVT, Moses are your starters. Then you have your bench: Warren, Fashanu, Mitchell, Schweitzer, Hanson. 

*Mitchell is a wildcard but I think he stays on the team as a G/T. Newman and Glaser get the boot. Newman held his own in spot duty at Center last year. But he was far from good. Schweitzer will be the backup Center. This is one of the weakest positions of depth and the Jets need more at this position. Especially with both Tipmann and Schweitzer coming off injuries. I would not be surprised if JD tried to bring in a backup C before the season starts.   

Defense: 24

CB: Sauce, DJ, Carter II, Stiggers, Echols, Hayes

*No surprises here. Anybody disagree? 

Safety: Adams, Clark, Davis, Oliver

*JBC is odd man out. 

LB: Mosley, Quincy, Sherwood, Surratt 

*Surratt is the wildcard here. I don't think many have him as the 4th LB. But I really like his athleticism and football IQ. I also think he did not get a fair shake last year to make the team due to injury. And the coaching staff seems to really like him. I think he beats out Barnes. THIS roster battle is not on the list above but should be. 

D-line: JJ, QW, Kinlaw, Reddick, McD, Solomon, Fotu, Clemons, Taylor III, Watts

*Watts RIGHT NOW is getting all the buzz so I have to give him the nod for the last D-line spot. But I have Taylor III making it as well. 

Specials: 3

K: Greg the Leg

P: Morstead

LS: Hennessy  

• Upvote 3

I'm real curious about Bawden. I don't see him and Izzy as being in a competition - whether he makes the roster will be down to whether the new power run scheme will use a FB to lead Block.

With Yeboah being a special teams contributor, it feels more likely Kuntz goes practice squad again. It seems very unlikely either is ever above TE3 anyway, though I hope I'm wrong!

Rodgers has talked up both Brownlee and Kuntz in the past. I remember Rodgers scheming up a Zach Wilson bomb to Brownlee last year. I think he could steal some reps this year, and my current suspicion is that both he and Charles make the final roster. Hopefully at Lazards expense, somehow :) maybe there's a secret contract clause that Rodgers can cut him personally 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, PepPep said:

O-line: x10 - Smith, Simpson, Sperm Edwards is the greatest!!! OMG I love-love-love him!!!, AVT, Moses are your starters. Then you have your bench: Warren, Fashanu, Mitchell, Schweitzer, Hanson. 

I don’t understand this. Is @Sperm Edwards our Center? 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, PepPep said:

Apart from the fact that its super early and we may still see some unanticipated roster moves on the horizon, it's also hard to look at these roster spot battles without looking at the roster as a whole. It really makes a lot more sense to try and put together a 53 man roster (again, even though its super early) to see who ends up getting the short end of the stick. 

Offense: 26

QB: x3 - Arod, Taylor, Travis

RB: x4 - Breece, Allen, Davis, Izzy

*JD has played his hand. The Jets will run the ball down team's throats, play defense and keep the opposing offense off the field. This will help them protect Rodgers, it will help them win games in bad weather, it will make them a good road team, it will make them a tough out against teams with top QBs. They are keeping x4 TRUE RBs. They are switching to a gap, power scheme. And we see the first domino fall - Bawden is out.

TE: x3 - Conk, Ruckert, Yeboah

*Another domino falls. Yaboah gets the nob over Kuntz because of what he brings on specials, because he has shown more as a blocker (see above RE: run game) and because he has more experience. 

WR: x6 - GW, Will, Corley, Lazard, Charles, Gipson

*Charles over Brownlee. He is their top gunner and I'm sure the Jets will look to continue developing him as a receiver with his size/speed combination. In fact, I would say its Gipson over Brownlee because of what he brings as a returner and backup slot. I'm THAT confident in Charles' roster spot. 

*Mitchell is a wildcard but I think he stays on the team as a G/T. Newman and Glaser get the boot. Newman held his own in spot duty at Center last year. But he was far from good. Schweitzer will be the backup Center. This is one of the weakest positions of depth and the Jets need more at this position. Especially with both Tipmann and Schweitzer coming off injuries. I would not be surprised if JD tried to bring in a backup C before the season starts.   

Defense: 24

CB: Sauce, DJ, Carter II, Stiggers, Echols, Hayes

*No surprises here. Anybody disagree? 

Safety: Adams, Clark, Davis, Oliver

*JBC is odd man out. 

LB: Mosley, Quincy, Sherwood, Surratt 

*Surratt is the wildcard here. I don't think many have him as the 4th LB. But I really like his athleticism and football IQ. I also think he did not get a fair shake last year to make the team due to injury. And the coaching staff seems to really like him. I think he beats out Barnes. THIS roster battle is not on the list above but should be. 

D-line: JJ, QW, Kinlaw, Reddick, McD, Solomon, Fotu, Clemons, Taylor III, Watts

*Watts RIGHT NOW is getting all the buzz so I have to give him the nod for the last D-line spot. But I have Taylor III making it as well. 

Specials: 3

K: Greg the Leg

P: Morstead

LS: Hennessy  

I think this is the way to do it, but I think when you consider the practice squad and allowed call ups it becomes much harder to discern.  As I often try to point out, in the end much will depend on who is dinged.  If Mike Williams is sore and not 100% when camp breaks they are more likely to keep a WR.  If Smith or Moses is looking questionable  they are more likely to keep another T, etc.

I agree that Surratt should be higher on people's lists.  They love the guy and were all gushing over him, but he keeps getting hurt.  

I think Brownlee makes it.  I think he is way ahead of Charles at WR.  If he doesn't make it, I think it will be because they sign another vet or one of the other new kids makes an impression.  Brownlee is hurt by not playing much on specials.  I wonder if he worked on that.  I think Charles makes it too, but on your roster I think he sticks over Tae Hayes.  Last year they kept 6 CBs, but one was Hardee who did not see the field on D.  I think Charles takes Hardee's roster spot and Stiggers takes Hall's.  I don't think would be that worried about CB especially with Oliver and Adams at S.  Both have played CB and I think they do a ton of mixing and matching already.  FWIW, I used to think of Charles as a size/speed guy, but he ran like a 4.66.  I think he is really just a size guy.

I think I like Newman.  I thought he was okay when he was playing G and I assume that Carter likes him.  Hanson is listed as a C, but I think he mostly played G and might have been ahead of the other two at the end of season depth chart, playing every snap weeks 13-15 and got a concussion halfway through week 16.  He was a Packers draft pick in 2020 when Rodgers and Hackett were there.  Versatility to play C probably helps though all three have a solid shot to survive on a practice squad.  If you want a vet C, I think Mason Cole is still out there but there were some pieces ripping his play for the Steelers.  Connor Williams too, but I don't think he is supposed to be back from the ACL until much later.

I feel the same way about Bawden.  He is think kind of guy I mention when people leave him off, but he should be on the bubble and I think this is the year he doesn't make it.  I also agree on Yeboah over Kuntz,  though maybe Kuntz makes a push.  Supposedly Rodgers likes him.  

My dark horse guy is Eguavoen.  I think they really like him on specials, but I guess he would be competing mostly with Surratt.  The top snaps on specials were Sherwood, Ashtyn Davis, Eguavoen, Bawden, Surratt followed by Hardee and Charles.  I do wonder how the new rules will effect who they want for cover teams.

I don't know what to make of their plans at RB.  I think Breece and  Allen are in.  I don't know what to make of Izzy, but I am betting Davis is more likely to last on the practice squad.  Izzy should be playing specials, but he only played around 5 snaps and I think they all were as kick returner (he had 2 returns for 31 yards).  

• Upvote 4

While I was joining in plotting Bawden's demise, I looked into it last year and Hackett likes to run a FB.

“You always want a fullback,” Hackett said last month. “A fullback cuts the defense in half and gives you an extra blocker so you can have angles come back for the offensive line.”

He ran Vitale his first year in Green Bay.  Then they drafted Josiah Deguara with a top 100 pick to play that role.  He was listed as a FB or TE and was kind of short armed for a traditional TE.  In Denver he said he had the perfect guy in Andrew Beck.  It is funny because this Hback type role is what everybody was complaining about with Bowers.  I assume they think that Ruckert can do it, as I think it is primarily just an occasional lead blocker.

On 5/31/2024 at 8:26 PM, Joe W. Namath said:

Running backs need to get in a rythem.  Im not basing my thoughts on Izzy in games where he got 2 or 3 carries.

I saw him in the preseason last year where he looked great.  I saw him vs the redskins when he got 9 carries and had 43 yards.

Everyone on this board was excited about Izzys talent then the jets drafted a rb 3 and rb 4 and everyone lost their minds and started this Izzy sucks stuff.

Jet fans…………

We all got excited for what izzy is or could be when we first got him.

Now, for whatever reason, seems like he has fallen out of favor. If he was so special I dont think we would have went after 2 more rbs in the draft.

Something is going in behind the scenes. Chances are greater izzy gets cut or stuffed on the PS than him being rb2

• Upvote 1

I think it’s clear the team is going to have some type of “fullback.” Whether that’s Bawden, one of the TEs, or someone else is unclear but it certainly seems like we want to have a power running game.

Izzy took forever to get on the field last year (as @slats noted we didn’t actually bring in Cook until we had a long look at him) and once we did he stunk and barely played. Then they drafted two mid round RBs.

I don’t think I’d go as far as to say I’d be surprised if he was on the roster but it seems very clear they don’t like him and the track record of guys like that getting back into favor is… Non-existent with this regime really? Higher picks stick around just because but Douglas has moved off mid round picks who aren’t cutting it very quickly.

15 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

While I was joining in plotting Bawden's demise, I looked into it last year and Hackett likes to run a FB.

“You always want a fullback,” Hackett said last month. “A fullback cuts the defense in half and gives you an extra blocker so you can have angles come back for the offensive line.”

He ran Vitale his first year in Green Bay.  Then they drafted Josiah Deguara with a top 100 pick to play that role.  He was listed as a FB or TE and was kind of short armed for a traditional TE.  In Denver he said he had the perfect guy in Andrew Beck.  It is funny because this Hback type role is what everybody was complaining about with Bowers.  I assume they think that Ruckert can do it, as I think it is primarily just an occasional lead blocker.

This year, Braelon Allen looks like he’s gonna be the team’s primary backup RB, but I’ll continue my quest to move him to FB - or at least fulfilling some FB duties. I think Bawden’s value is more on special teams than it is on offense. If you just want an extra blocker in the backfield, you can throw Quinnen Williams in there at the goal line. I’d prefer a guy back there who can be a weapon himself on offense. I wouldn’t put too much on Allen’s plate as a rookie -I’d let him focus on the backup RB job- but having a set of plays where he and Breece are on the field together could be very effective. And if it were, I’d look to expand that role in the future. 

Converted TE Kyle Jusczcyk has a semi-starter type role on SF getting about 45% of the offensive snaps on average, and giving maybe 200-300 yards receiving a year. I’d think the converted RB could give you that receiving yardage plus some decent rushing numbers, too.