Did Malachi Corley Ever Sign A Rookie Deal ??

He's been at the facility taking part in all the offseason work. His deal will get done, as they always do, on the slotted scale.

If it doesn't get done in time for camp, it's an issue. Right now, it isn't.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, jetsrule128 said:

Why is the media not making a big deal about his potential hold out ? 

Considering what the media does report on, it is surprising that Mike Florio hasn’t written a piece about our lost third round pick, yet. It is odd, though, that they signed all their other picks within about 24 hours and Corley still hasn’t. 

• Upvote 4

Corley still has not signed - oddly enough, the first 3 picks of the 3rd round still remain unsigned;

For comparison, 12 first round picks and 5 second round picks still remain unsigned.

https://www.footballdb.com/transactions/draft-signings.html

65 NY Jets Malachi Corley WR Western Kentucky Unsigned
66 Arizona Trey Benson RB Florida State Unsigned
67 Washington Brandon Coleman OT Texas Christian Unsigned
68 New England Caedan Wallace OT Penn State Signed on 05/31/2024
69 LA Chargers Junior Colson LB Michigan Signed on 05/10/2024
70 NY Giants Andru Phillips DB Kentucky Signed on 05/15/2024
71 Arizona Isaiah Adams OT Illinois Signed on 05/14/2024
72 Carolina Trevin Wallace LB Kentucky Signed on 05/10/2024
73 Dallas Cooper Beebe OG Kansas State Signed on 05/10/2024
74 Atlanta Bralen Trice LB Washington Signed on 05/17/2024
75 Chicago Kiran Amegadjie OT Yale Signed on 05/15/2024
76 Denver Jonah Elliss LB Utah Signed on 05/14/2024
77 Las Vegas Delmar Glaze OT Maryland Signed on 05/10/2024
78 Houston Calen Bullock DB Southern California Signed on 05/17/2024
79 Indianapolis Matt Goncalves OT Pittsburgh Signed on 05/13/2024
80 Cincinnati Jermaine Burton WR Alabama Signed on 05/14/2024
81 Seattle Christian Haynes OG Connecticut Signed on 05/17/2024
82 Arizona Tip Reiman TE Illinois Signed on 05/13/2024
83 LA Rams Blake Corum RB Michigan Signed on 05/13/2024
84 Pittsburgh Roman Wilson WR Michigan Signed on 05/13/2024
85 Cleveland Zak Zinter OG Michigan Signed on 05/10/2024
86 San Francisco Dominick Puni OT Kansas Signed on 05/10/2024
87 Dallas Marist Liufau LB Notre Dame Signed on 05/10/2024
88 Green Bay MarShawn Lloyd RB Southern California Signed on 05/14/2024
89 Tampa Bay Tykee Smith DB Georgia Signed on 05/22/2024
90 Arizona Elijah Jones DB Boston College Signed on 05/15/2024
91 Green Bay Ty'Ron Hopper LB Missouri Signed on 05/14/2024
92 Tampa Bay Jalen McMillan WR Washington Signed on 05/29/2024
93 Baltimore Adisa Isaac LB Penn State Signed on 05/14/2024
94 Philadelphia Jalyx Hunt DE Houston Baptist Signed on 05/13/2024
95 Buffalo DeWayne Carter DT Duke Signed on 06/04/2024
96 Jacksonville Jarrian Jones DB Florida State Signed on 05/10/2024
97 Cincinnati McKinnley Jackson DT Texas A&M Signed on 05/10/2024
98 Pittsburgh Payton Wilson LB North Carolina State Signed on 05/13/2024
99 LA Rams Kamren Kinchens DB Miami Signed on 05/16/2024
100 Washington Luke McCaffrey WR Rice Signed on 05/10/2024

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, slats said:

This has to be what it’s about. Second round picks get their second year’s salary guaranteed, and third round picks haven’t. That’s a million dollar difference. Have to figure Corley’s team is digging in because JD tried to draft him in the second, and the guys right behind him are waiting to see if he’s successful. 

If their salaries are slotted/pre-determined based on the NFL’s collective bargaining agreement, I don't see how they can expect any additional guarantees.

I may be wrong, but I don't think the CBA gives teams that kind of wiggle-room.

I know there is other certain contract language that can be modified - but I don't believe there is anything pertaining to salaries, or guaranteed money, that can be modified from the CBA slotted rookie salary structure.

Again, I may be wrong, so anybody who is more well versed on the subject, feel free to chime in.

1 hour ago, ARodJetsFan said:

If their salaries are slotted/pre-determined based on the NFL’s collective bargaining agreement, I don't see how they can expect any additional guarantees.

That’s my best current guess, so I’m sticking with it. We haven’t heard anything, and I suspect that has something to do with JD notoriously not liking to negotiate in public. Additional guarantees =/= additional compensation, and it never hurts to ask. I imagine we’ll find out what the holdup has been when he eventually does sign. 

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, jetsrule128 said:

Perhaps it is because it is not a big deal.  Just a thought for those out on a ledge.

• Upvote 3

16 hours ago, jetsrule128 said:

Slow sign: Wide receiver Malachi Corley, the top pick in the third round, is one of only four unsigned draft picks in Round 3. It raises eyebrows because there isn't much room for negotiation under the league's slotting system. We know he will sign a four-year deal for $6.07 million, but sometimes teams and agents haggle over contract language and payment schedule.

There's no reason to be alarmed. It will get done before training camp.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/40299618/new-york-jets-prep-mandatory-minicamp-haason-reddick

• Upvote 4

Haven’t seen the details yet, but apparently Ladd McConkey -the second pick of the second round for the Chargers- just secured a contract with “record setting” guaranteed money for the slot, more than a QB got two years ago. Again, this is what I think Corley is “holding out” for, more guarantees. 

2 hours ago, slats said:

Haven’t seen the details yet, but apparently Ladd McConkey -the second pick of the second round for the Chargers- just secured a contract with “record setting” guaranteed money for the slot, more than a QB got two years ago. Again, this is what I think Corley is “holding out” for, more guarantees. 

Video of JD drooling over this kid for nearly 30 picks doesn’t help your negotiating position. Agent was wise to wait. 3rd rd. pick from small school, you should try and get as much guaranteed $ as possible. Odds of getting past 1st contract are steep

• Upvote 1

Just an FYI, with Ladd McConkey signing yesterday which was reported here:

NFL Player News: Latest Reports, Injuries, Transactions - Rotoworld - NBC Sports - NBC Sports

The entire 2nd round & the entire 4th round of the 2024 draft has been signed.

The entire 3rd round of the NFL draft has been signed, with the exception of 2 players:

65 NY Jets Malachi Corley WR Western Kentucky Unsigned
66 Arizona Trey Benson RB Florida State Unsigned

It's not that it's something to worry about now, to me it's an indication of what the team could be dealing with down the road and if I was in the front office, I'd be keeping a watchful eye on this kid & whoever his agent is.

9 hours ago, slats said:

Im confused I thought the salaries were completely slotted the only real negotiation is on offset lanaguage

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, JohnnyLV said:

Im confused I thought the salaries were completely slotted the only real negotiation is on offset lanaguage

If these articles are accurate, (I don't know if they are or not) it sounds like while the rookie salaries are slotted, there is room to negotiate the amount of guaranteed money.

EDIT: I just found this:

How rookie wage scale operates

The rookie wage scale is essentially a salary cap within the overall salary cap. The increases in rookie salaries from one draft class to another are primarily tied to growth of the salary cap. Signing bonuses are going up 3.79%, which is the biggest increase since 2019. The increase had been 1% for each of the last three years because the NFL and NFLPA agreed in 2020 to borrow money from future rookie wage scales to keep 2021 rookie deals from decreasing because of the 2020 revenue shortfall caused by COVID-19. 

There's a league-wide limit on the total amount of compensation for rookies with specific salary parameters for each draft slot. Teams have maximum and minimum amounts that can be spent on their picks based on draft position. 

All contracts for draft choices are four years. Each pick in the draft has a salary floor and ceiling in the first year and over the four years of the contract. There are very few negotiable items with rookie contracts anymore. The salary components of a deal are restricted to signing bonus, base salary, roster bonus, reporting bonus, workout bonus and select incentives. The type of salary escalators and incentives that used to be responsible for salaries skyrocketing at the top of the draft are prohibited under the rookie wage scale. A majority of picks only have signing bonus and base salaries in their deals. 

An extremely important aspect of these deals is the first-year salary cap number (also known as the rookie pool number) because it helps determine the overall value of a contract. The first-year cap number or rookie pool number consists of the player's prorated amount of signing bonus and the rookie minimum base salary, which is $795,000 in 2024. 

The maximum annual increase in each of the four years of a deal is 25% of the first-year cap number. To illustrate this concept, 2023 26th overall pick Dalton Kincaid's cap numbers were limited to a $610,320 increase in each year of his deal because his first-year cap number was $2,441,280. Since all of these deals have minimum base salaries in the first year, the remainder of the contract is derived within these constraints. 

Draft-pick contracts can't be renegotiated until the conclusion of a player's third NFL regular season. This means the earliest Kincaid's deal can be redone is in January 2026.

Teams have an option for a fifth year with first-round picks that must be exercised after the third year of the deal. The period for exercising fifth-year options begins after a player's third NFL regular season ends (Jan. 8, 2024 with the 2021 first-round picks). These options must be picked up prior to May 3. 

Agent's Take: 2024 NFL rookie contract projections for key Round 1 picks, with wage scale explainer - CBSSports.com

1 minute ago, 32EBoozer said:

Corley may not want to drag this out into TC. Gipson has been getting a lot of love from AR & coaches.

I've read that Gibson has made great strides thus far and has been turning some heads with his improved route running and knowledge of the offense in year 2.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

I've read that Gibson has made great strides thus far and has been turning some heads with his improved route running and knowledge of the offense in year 2.

He also is good at YAC, which everyone says Corley is known for in college.

• Upvote 1