Jump to content

The Best New York Jets Games Ever: A Journey Through History


Recommended Posts

Joe Namath

The New York Jets have a storied history filled with unforgettable moments and thrilling games. From legendary comebacks to iconic victories, Jets fans have witnessed some of the most memorable games in NFL history. This article explores the best New York Jets games ever, highlighting the excitement, drama, and significance of each game. If you are a fan of the Jets you can make an online bet on the 1xbet site.

Super Bowl III: The Historic Upset (1969)

Background

Date: January 12, 1969

Opponent: Baltimore Colts

Significance: The Jets’ first and only Super Bowl victory

Key Moments

Joe Namath’s “Guarantee”: Namath famously guaranteed a Jets victory despite being heavy underdogs.

Matt Snell’s Dominant Performance: Snell rushed for 121 yards and scored the only touchdown for the Jets.

The Jets’ Stifling Defense: The defense held the Colts to just seven points, intercepting Earl Morrall three times.

Legacy

Cemented Joe Namath’s Legendary Status: Namath’s bold prediction and performance earned him Super Bowl MVP and iconic status.

Major Turning Point in NFL History: The victory helped legitimize the AFL, leading to the eventual AFL-NFL merger.

The Monday Night Miracle (2000)

Background

Date: October 23, 2000

Opponent: Miami Dolphins

Significance: One of the greatest comebacks in NFL history

Key Moments

Jets Overcome a 23-Point Deficit in the Fourth Quarter: The Jets rallied from a 30-7 deficit to tie the game and force overtime.

Vinny Testaverde’s Heroics: Testaverde threw five touchdown passes, leading the comeback.

Jumbo Elliott’s Improbable Touchdown Catch: Offensive lineman Jumbo Elliott caught a crucial touchdown pass to tie the game.

Legacy

Symbol of the Jets’ Resilience and Determination: This game is remembered as a testament to the Jets’ never-give-up attitude and ability to perform under pressure.

The 2010 Divisional Playoff Game vs. Patriots

Background

Date: January 16, 2011

Opponent: New England Patriots

Significance: Major playoff upset against a fierce rival

Key Moments

Mark Sanchez’s Efficient Passing: Sanchez completed key throws, maintaining composure throughout the game.

Shonn Greene’s Game-Sealing Touchdown: Greene’s late touchdown run secured the victory for the Jets.

Bart Scott’s Iconic “Can’t Wait” Interview: Scott’s passionate post-game interview became legendary among Jets fans.

Legacy

A Defining Moment in the Rex Ryan Era: This victory epitomized the bold and confident approach of Rex Ryan’s tenure as head coach, showcasing the Jets’ potential and resilience.

 

The 1982 AFC Championship Game

Background

Date: January 23, 1983

Opponent: Miami Dolphins

Significance: Jets’ deep playoff run during a strike-shortened season

Key Moments

Mud Bowl Conditions: The game was played on a muddy field, severely impacting play.

Controversial Officiating: Several disputed calls added to the game’s drama.

Jets’ Defense Shines: Despite the loss, the Jets’ defense performed admirably under difficult conditions.

Legacy

Heartbreak but an Important Chapter in Jets History: Though the Jets fell short, this game remains a memorable part of their storied past, showcasing their grit and resilience.

 

The 2009 Wild Card Game vs. Bengals

Background

Date: January 9, 2010

Opponent: Cincinnati Bengals

Significance: Start of a surprising playoff run

Key Moments

Dominant Performance by the Defense: The Jets’ defense stifled the Bengals’ offense, allowing only 14 points.

Mark Sanchez’s Poised Leadership: Sanchez managed the game effectively, making key plays without turnovers.

Shonn Greene’s Breakout Game: Greene rushed for 135 yards and a touchdown, emerging as a playoff star.

Legacy

Laid the Foundation for a Deep Playoff Run: This victory set the stage for the Jets’ impressive journey to the AFC Championship Game, marking a significant achievement in the Rex Ryan era.

 

The 2002 Overtime Win Against the Chargers

Background

Date: December 29, 2002

Opponent: San Diego Chargers

Significance: Secured a playoff berth in dramatic fashion

Key Moments

John Hall’s Game-Winning Field Goal: Hall kicked a 37-yard field goal in overtime to clinch the victory.

Chad Pennington’s Clutch Performance: Pennington led the offense with poise, throwing for 307 yards and two touchdowns.

Laveranues Coles’ Pivotal Catches: Coles made several critical receptions, including a key 44-yard catch in overtime.

Legacy

Pivotal Moment in the Early 2000s Jets Era: This game marked a turning point, propelling the Jets into the playoffs and showcasing the potential of their young quarterback, Chad Pennington.

 

The 2015 Thriller Against the Giants

Background

Date: December 6, 2015

Opponent: New York Giants

Significance: Intense inter-city rivalry game

Key Moments

Ryan Fitzpatrick’s Late-Game Heroics: Fitzpatrick led a fourth-quarter comeback, including a crucial drive to tie the game.

Brandon Marshall’s Game-Tying Touchdown: Marshall caught a touchdown pass to send the game into overtime.

Randy Bullock’s Game-Winning Field Goal in Overtime: Bullock kicked a 31-yard field goal to secure the victory for the Jets.

Legacy

Highlight of a Strong 2015 Season: This thrilling win was a standout moment in a successful season, demonstrating the team’s resilience and competitive spirit.

Honorable Mentions

2010 AFC Wild Card Game vs. Colts

Background

Date: January 8, 2011

Opponent: Indianapolis Colts

Significance: The Jets secured a dramatic last-second victory against a formidable opponent.

Key Moments

Nick Folk’s Game-Winning Field Goal: Folk kicked a 32-yard field goal as time expired to win the game.

LaDainian Tomlinson’s Rushing Touchdowns: Tomlinson scored two crucial touchdowns to keep the Jets competitive.

Mark Sanchez’s Poised Leadership: Sanchez drove the team down the field in the final minutes to set up the winning kick.

Legacy

Continued Playoff Success: This victory reinforced the Jets’ ability to perform under pressure and marked another high point in their playoff run during the Rex Ryan era.

2004 Comeback Against the Chargers in the Playoffs

Background

Date: January 8, 2005

Opponent: San Diego Chargers

Significance: A remarkable comeback win in the Wild Card round of the playoffs.

Key Moments

Doug Brien’s Game-Winning Field Goal in Overtime: Brien kicked a 28-yard field goal to secure the win after a dramatic fourth-quarter comeback.

Chad Pennington’s Leadership: Pennington threw two touchdown passes, rallying the team from a 10-point deficit.

Defense Holds Strong: The Jets’ defense made key stops to force overtime and eventually secure the victory.

Legacy

Memorable Playoff Performance: This game showcased the Jets’ resilience and determination, setting the stage for their deep playoff run.

1998 AFC Championship Game vs. Broncos

Background

Date: January 17, 1999

Opponent: Denver Broncos

Significance: The Jets’ first AFC Championship Game appearance in three decades.

Key Moments

Strong First Half Performance: The Jets led 10-0 early in the game.

Turnover Troubles: Key turnovers in the second half allowed the Broncos to take control.

Curtis Martin’s Effort: Despite the loss, Martin rushed for 88 yards and a touchdown, highlighting his consistent performance.

Legacy

Significant Milestone: Although the Jets fell short, reaching the AFC Championship Game was a major achievement and a high point in the Bill Parcells era, laying the groundwork for future success.

Conclusion

The New York Jets have provided their fans with many unforgettable games that have left a lasting impact on the franchise’s history. From Super Bowl III to thrilling playoff victories, each game has contributed to the rich tapestry of Jets lore. These games serve as a testament to the team’s resilience, skill, and the passionate support of Jets Nation.

 

 

 

 

 

 

The post The Best New York Jets Games Ever: A Journey Through History appeared first on JetNation.com - New York Jets Blog & Forum.

Click here to read the full story...

  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, JetNation said:

Joe Namath

The New York Jets have a storied history filled with unforgettable moments and thrilling games. From legendary comebacks to iconic victories, Jets fans have witnessed some of the most memorable games in NFL history. This article explores the best New York Jets games ever, highlighting the excitement, drama, and significance of each game. If you are a fan of the Jets you can make an online bet on the 1xbet site.

Super Bowl III: The Historic Upset (1969)

Background

Date: January 12, 1969

Opponent: Baltimore Colts

Significance: The Jets’ first and only Super Bowl victory

Key Moments

Joe Namath’s “Guarantee”: Namath famously guaranteed a Jets victory despite being heavy underdogs.

Matt Snell’s Dominant Performance: Snell rushed for 121 yards and scored the only touchdown for the Jets.

The Jets’ Stifling Defense: The defense held the Colts to just seven points, intercepting Earl Morrall three times.

Legacy

Cemented Joe Namath’s Legendary Status: Namath’s bold prediction and performance earned him Super Bowl MVP and iconic status.

Major Turning Point in NFL History: The victory helped legitimize the AFL, leading to the eventual AFL-NFL merger.

The Monday Night Miracle (2000)

Background

Date: October 23, 2000

Opponent: Miami Dolphins

Significance: One of the greatest comebacks in NFL history

Key Moments

Jets Overcome a 23-Point Deficit in the Fourth Quarter: The Jets rallied from a 30-7 deficit to tie the game and force overtime.

Vinny Testaverde’s Heroics: Testaverde threw five touchdown passes, leading the comeback.

Jumbo Elliott’s Improbable Touchdown Catch: Offensive lineman Jumbo Elliott caught a crucial touchdown pass to tie the game.

Legacy

Symbol of the Jets’ Resilience and Determination: This game is remembered as a testament to the Jets’ never-give-up attitude and ability to perform under pressure.

The 2010 Divisional Playoff Game vs. Patriots

Background

Date: January 16, 2011

Opponent: New England Patriots

Significance: Major playoff upset against a fierce rival

Key Moments

Mark Sanchez’s Efficient Passing: Sanchez completed key throws, maintaining composure throughout the game.

Shonn Greene’s Game-Sealing Touchdown: Greene’s late touchdown run secured the victory for the Jets.

Bart Scott’s Iconic “Can’t Wait” Interview: Scott’s passionate post-game interview became legendary among Jets fans.

Legacy

A Defining Moment in the Rex Ryan Era: This victory epitomized the bold and confident approach of Rex Ryan’s tenure as head coach, showcasing the Jets’ potential and resilience.

 

The 1982 AFC Championship Game

Background

Date: January 23, 1983

Opponent: Miami Dolphins

Significance: Jets’ deep playoff run during a strike-shortened season

Key Moments

Mud Bowl Conditions: The game was played on a muddy field, severely impacting play.

Controversial Officiating: Several disputed calls added to the game’s drama.

Jets’ Defense Shines: Despite the loss, the Jets’ defense performed admirably under difficult conditions.

Legacy

Heartbreak but an Important Chapter in Jets History: Though the Jets fell short, this game remains a memorable part of their storied past, showcasing their grit and resilience.

 

The 2009 Wild Card Game vs. Bengals

Background

Date: January 9, 2010

Opponent: Cincinnati Bengals

Significance: Start of a surprising playoff run

Key Moments

Dominant Performance by the Defense: The Jets’ defense stifled the Bengals’ offense, allowing only 14 points.

Mark Sanchez’s Poised Leadership: Sanchez managed the game effectively, making key plays without turnovers.

Shonn Greene’s Breakout Game: Greene rushed for 135 yards and a touchdown, emerging as a playoff star.

Legacy

Laid the Foundation for a Deep Playoff Run: This victory set the stage for the Jets’ impressive journey to the AFC Championship Game, marking a significant achievement in the Rex Ryan era.

 

The 2002 Overtime Win Against the Chargers

Background

Date: December 29, 2002

Opponent: San Diego Chargers

Significance: Secured a playoff berth in dramatic fashion

Key Moments

John Hall’s Game-Winning Field Goal: Hall kicked a 37-yard field goal in overtime to clinch the victory.

Chad Pennington’s Clutch Performance: Pennington led the offense with poise, throwing for 307 yards and two touchdowns.

Laveranues Coles’ Pivotal Catches: Coles made several critical receptions, including a key 44-yard catch in overtime.

Legacy

Pivotal Moment in the Early 2000s Jets Era: This game marked a turning point, propelling the Jets into the playoffs and showcasing the potential of their young quarterback, Chad Pennington.

 

The 2015 Thriller Against the Giants

Background

Date: December 6, 2015

Opponent: New York Giants

Significance: Intense inter-city rivalry game

Key Moments

Ryan Fitzpatrick’s Late-Game Heroics: Fitzpatrick led a fourth-quarter comeback, including a crucial drive to tie the game.

Brandon Marshall’s Game-Tying Touchdown: Marshall caught a touchdown pass to send the game into overtime.

Randy Bullock’s Game-Winning Field Goal in Overtime: Bullock kicked a 31-yard field goal to secure the victory for the Jets.

Legacy

Highlight of a Strong 2015 Season: This thrilling win was a standout moment in a successful season, demonstrating the team’s resilience and competitive spirit.

Honorable Mentions

2010 AFC Wild Card Game vs. Colts

Background

Date: January 8, 2011

Opponent: Indianapolis Colts

Significance: The Jets secured a dramatic last-second victory against a formidable opponent.

Key Moments

Nick Folk’s Game-Winning Field Goal: Folk kicked a 32-yard field goal as time expired to win the game.

LaDainian Tomlinson’s Rushing Touchdowns: Tomlinson scored two crucial touchdowns to keep the Jets competitive.

Mark Sanchez’s Poised Leadership: Sanchez drove the team down the field in the final minutes to set up the winning kick.

Legacy

Continued Playoff Success: This victory reinforced the Jets’ ability to perform under pressure and marked another high point in their playoff run during the Rex Ryan era.

2004 Comeback Against the Chargers in the Playoffs

Background

Date: January 8, 2005

Opponent: San Diego Chargers

Significance: A remarkable comeback win in the Wild Card round of the playoffs.

Key Moments

Doug Brien’s Game-Winning Field Goal in Overtime: Brien kicked a 28-yard field goal to secure the win after a dramatic fourth-quarter comeback.

Chad Pennington’s Leadership: Pennington threw two touchdown passes, rallying the team from a 10-point deficit.

Defense Holds Strong: The Jets’ defense made key stops to force overtime and eventually secure the victory.

Legacy

Memorable Playoff Performance: This game showcased the Jets’ resilience and determination, setting the stage for their deep playoff run.

1998 AFC Championship Game vs. Broncos

Background

Date: January 17, 1999

Opponent: Denver Broncos

Significance: The Jets’ first AFC Championship Game appearance in three decades.

Key Moments

Strong First Half Performance: The Jets led 10-0 early in the game.

Turnover Troubles: Key turnovers in the second half allowed the Broncos to take control.

Curtis Martin’s Effort: Despite the loss, Martin rushed for 88 yards and a touchdown, highlighting his consistent performance.

Legacy

Significant Milestone: Although the Jets fell short, reaching the AFC Championship Game was a major achievement and a high point in the Bill Parcells era, laying the groundwork for future success.

Conclusion

The New York Jets have provided their fans with many unforgettable games that have left a lasting impact on the franchise’s history. From Super Bowl III to thrilling playoff victories, each game has contributed to the rich tapestry of Jets lore. These games serve as a testament to the team’s resilience, skill, and the passionate support of Jets Nation.

 

 

 

 

 

 

The post The Best New York Jets Games Ever: A Journey Through History appeared first on JetNation.com - New York Jets Blog & Forum.

Click here to read the full story...

No Monday Night Miracle? Sorry, can’t read, well done.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This was a wonderful trip down memory lane, nice job on the list.

I hate to be that guy, but Dec 29, 2002 was actually the 42-17 romp of the Packers to win us the afc east title (after several improbable outcomes earlier in the day put us in this spot).  That game def deserves to be on the list.

But what OT Chargers game are we talking about that occurred on that date that put us in the playoffs ?

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Rob Moore said:

This was a wonderful trip down memory lane, nice job on the list.

I hate to be that guy, but Dec 29, 2002 was actually the 42-17 romp of the Packers to win us the afc east title (after several improbable outcomes earlier in the day put us in this spot).  That game def deserves to be on the list.

But what OT Chargers game are we talking about that occurred on that date that put us in the playoffs ?

Gb game might be my favorite

i was 9 for sb3 so while I remember parts, not the whole game

the heidi bowl is up there because if my father being an absolute lunatic at 7pm

the gb gane had it all- win and you win the division as long as ne beats miami

that game goes into ot and we are trying to get the score in the stadium in the first qtr

giants stadium had 19 inch tv’s hanging from the ceiling in the endzone

we were watching the crowd reaction in a corner endzone to see what happened

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

In what alternate reality can the MUD BOWL be considered one of the greatest games in *JETS* history???

I'd rank last year's Christmas Eve win over Washington ahead of that debacle. You know why?? ..because the Jets actually WON THAT GAME ...

 

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Rob Moore said:

This was a wonderful trip down memory lane, nice job on the list.

I hate to be that guy, but Dec 29, 2002 was actually the 42-17 romp of the Packers to win us the afc east title (after several improbable outcomes earlier in the day put us in this spot).  That game def deserves to be on the list.

But what OT Chargers game are we talking about that occurred on that date that put us in the playoffs ?

Maybe he was thinking the Raiders game at end of the 2001 season

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

BACK STORY:

Thanksgiving, 2012. American families nationwide sit down and watch the NFL when most of them don’t even watch the NFL. Aunts. Moms. Grandmas. Sisters.

The entire family, house after house after house, from east coast to west, for the Tom Brady lead Patriots against the Rex Ryan lead Jets, not far removed from back-to-back AFC Championships.

KEY MOMENTS

The Patriots score three touchdowns in 57 seconds, one of which was a ball popped out of the kickoff returners hands directly into the hands of Julian Edelman in stride, following up one with another like 4 seconds later. Absolute nationally-enjoyed route of a game. Absolute rivalry-stunting beat down on perhaps the greatest family get together holiday, with all eyes on you.

LEGACY

The “Buttfumble.” Amid the chaos and destruction of three touchdowns in under a minute was the Buttfumble, where Mark Sanchez somehow ran into the ass of a dude getting bodied by Vince Wilfork. Recovered, ran back for a touchdown.

CONCLUSION 

Rarely, if ever, has the NFL seen an entire franchise get soul-sliced so hard by just one game that it was like a Tsang Sung Mortal Kombat fatality. The Jets would literally not even begin to recover from the nationally-watched finality of that beatdown, complete with the absolute humiliation of their starting quarterback, and the mark of doom for Rex Ryan’s career, for literally ten years.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/23/2024 at 8:40 PM, Rob Moore said:

This was a wonderful trip down memory lane, nice job on the list.

I hate to be that guy, but Dec 29, 2002 was actually the 42-17 romp of the Packers to win us the afc east title (after several improbable outcomes earlier in the day put us in this spot).  That game def deserves to be on the list.

But what OT Chargers game are we talking about that occurred on that date that put us in the playoffs ?

Thank you for pointing that out. I had no recollection of that SD game. We actually beat the Packers to make the playoffs ( thanks to the Patriots beating the Dolphins) on that date.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, WickedAwesome said:

BACK STORY:

Thanksgiving, 2012. American families nationwide sit down and watch the NFL when most of them don’t even watch the NFL. Aunts. Moms. Grandmas. Sisters.

The entire family, house after house after house, from east coast to west, for the Tom Brady lead Patriots against the Rex Ryan lead Jets, not far removed from back-to-back AFC Championships.

KEY MOMENTS

The Patriots score three touchdowns in 57 seconds, one of which was a ball popped out of the kickoff returners hands directly into the hands of Julian Edelman in stride, following up one with another like 4 seconds later. Absolute nationally-enjoyed route of a game. Absolute rivalry-stunting beat down on perhaps the greatest family get together holiday, with all eyes on you.

LEGACY

The “Buttfumble.” Amid the chaos and destruction of three touchdowns in under a minute was the Buttfumble, where Mark Sanchez somehow ran into the ass of a dude getting bodied by Vince Wilfork. Recovered, ran back for a touchdown.

CONCLUSION 

Rarely, if ever, has the NFL seen an entire franchise get soul-sliced so hard by just one game that it was like a Tsang Sung Mortal Kombat fatality. The Jets would literally not even begin to recover from the nationally-watched finality of that beatdown, complete with the absolute humiliation of their starting quarterback, and the mark of doom for Rex Ryan’s career, for literally ten years.

 

 

Wicked Awesome Cool story bro. 

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, WickedAwesome said:

BACK STORY:

Thanksgiving, 2012. American families nationwide sit down and watch the NFL when most of them don’t even watch the NFL. Aunts. Moms. Grandmas. Sisters.

The entire family, house after house after house, from east coast to west, for the Tom Brady lead Patriots against the Rex Ryan lead Jets, not far removed from back-to-back AFC Championships.

KEY MOMENTS

The Patriots score three touchdowns in 57 seconds, one of which was a ball popped out of the kickoff returners hands directly into the hands of Julian Edelman in stride, following up one with another like 4 seconds later. Absolute nationally-enjoyed route of a game. Absolute rivalry-stunting beat down on perhaps the greatest family get together holiday, with all eyes on you.

LEGACY

The “Buttfumble.” Amid the chaos and destruction of three touchdowns in under a minute was the Buttfumble, where Mark Sanchez somehow ran into the ass of a dude getting bodied by Vince Wilfork. Recovered, ran back for a touchdown.

CONCLUSION 

Rarely, if ever, has the NFL seen an entire franchise get soul-sliced so hard by just one game that it was like a Tsang Sung Mortal Kombat fatality. The Jets would literally not even begin to recover from the nationally-watched finality of that beatdown, complete with the absolute humiliation of their starting quarterback, and the mark of doom for Rex Ryan’s career, for literally ten years.

 

 

How long did it take you to type this?  Spoiler:  didn't read it

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2000 week 4 Jets @Bucs

 

Revenge win over Meshawn.  Wayne caught the winning touchdown pass from Curtis Martin.  Probably the happiest I have ever been as a jet fan until the 2010 playoff win over the Cheats.

 

2001 week 17 Jets @Raiders

 

incredibly intense win and your in game.  John Hall clutch 42 yard field goal

Link to comment
Share on other sites

January 4th 2003 AFC East Champs New York Jets vs the Indianapolis Colts with Peyton Mannibg at QB.

Had to stand in line at stub hub & win a drawing to be allowed to buy tickets.

BTW, we kicked their butts & it was VERY cold that day.

Final Score ... Jets 41 ----Colts  0

Edited by CapeCoralJetFan
Final score
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

the best thing about the monday night miracle game was when the idiots in the broadcast booth were showing jason taylor all giddy when the doltfins were up by 20 and then how he was crying at the end of the game.  priceless.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/24/2024 at 8:47 PM, WickedAwesome said:

BACK STORY:

Thanksgiving, 2012. American families nationwide sit down and watch the NFL when most of them don’t even watch the NFL. Aunts. Moms. Grandmas. Sisters.

The entire family, house after house after house, from east coast to west, for the Tom Brady lead Patriots against the Rex Ryan lead Jets, not far removed from back-to-back AFC Championships.

KEY MOMENTS

The Patriots score three touchdowns in 57 seconds, one of which was a ball popped out of the kickoff returners hands directly into the hands of Julian Edelman in stride, following up one with another like 4 seconds later. Absolute nationally-enjoyed route of a game. Absolute rivalry-stunting beat down on perhaps the greatest family get together holiday, with all eyes on you.

LEGACY

The “Buttfumble.” Amid the chaos and destruction of three touchdowns in under a minute was the Buttfumble, where Mark Sanchez somehow ran into the ass of a dude getting bodied by Vince Wilfork. Recovered, ran back for a touchdown.

CONCLUSION 

Rarely, if ever, has the NFL seen an entire franchise get soul-sliced so hard by just one game that it was like a Tsang Sung Mortal Kombat fatality. The Jets would literally not even begin to recover from the nationally-watched finality of that beatdown, complete with the absolute humiliation of their starting quarterback, and the mark of doom for Rex Ryan’s career, for literally ten years.

 

 

oh my gawd.  i remember that game pretty clearly.  i was visiting some friends (patsie fans) in new jersey and we were watching the game.  i watched the first td and thought okay they can come back.  then there was another.  my gf and i then left the house to go to the hotel and the game was on.  sure enough the patsies scored another td in minutes.  the butt fumble was icing on the cake for the patsie fans.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/30/2024 at 4:29 PM, rangerous said:

the best thing about the monday night miracle game was when the idiots in the broadcast booth were showing jason taylor all giddy when the doltfins were up by 20 and then how he was crying at the end of the game.  priceless.

That is the worst when you are watching a nationally televised game and the announcers are so obviously rooting for the other team

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/23/2024 at 4:50 PM, JetNation said:

Joe Namath

The New York Jets have a storied history filled with unforgettable moments and thrilling games. From legendary comebacks to iconic victories, Jets fans have witnessed some of the most memorable games in NFL history. This article explores the best New York Jets games ever, highlighting the excitement, drama, and significance of each game. If you are a fan of the Jets you can make an online bet on the 1xbet site.

Super Bowl III: The Historic Upset (1969)

Background

Date: January 12, 1969

Opponent: Baltimore Colts

Significance: The Jets’ first and only Super Bowl victory

Key Moments

Joe Namath’s “Guarantee”: Namath famously guaranteed a Jets victory despite being heavy underdogs.

Matt Snell’s Dominant Performance: Snell rushed for 121 yards and scored the only touchdown for the Jets.

The Jets’ Stifling Defense: The defense held the Colts to just seven points, intercepting Earl Morrall three times.

Legacy

Cemented Joe Namath’s Legendary Status: Namath’s bold prediction and performance earned him Super Bowl MVP and iconic status.

Major Turning Point in NFL History: The victory helped legitimize the AFL, leading to the eventual AFL-NFL merger.

The Monday Night Miracle (2000)

Background

Date: October 23, 2000

Opponent: Miami Dolphins

Significance: One of the greatest comebacks in NFL history

Key Moments

Jets Overcome a 23-Point Deficit in the Fourth Quarter: The Jets rallied from a 30-7 deficit to tie the game and force overtime.

Vinny Testaverde’s Heroics: Testaverde threw five touchdown passes, leading the comeback.

Jumbo Elliott’s Improbable Touchdown Catch: Offensive lineman Jumbo Elliott caught a crucial touchdown pass to tie the game.

Legacy

Symbol of the Jets’ Resilience and Determination: This game is remembered as a testament to the Jets’ never-give-up attitude and ability to perform under pressure.

The 2010 Divisional Playoff Game vs. Patriots

Background

Date: January 16, 2011

Opponent: New England Patriots

Significance: Major playoff upset against a fierce rival

Key Moments

Mark Sanchez’s Efficient Passing: Sanchez completed key throws, maintaining composure throughout the game.

Shonn Greene’s Game-Sealing Touchdown: Greene’s late touchdown run secured the victory for the Jets.

Bart Scott’s Iconic “Can’t Wait” Interview: Scott’s passionate post-game interview became legendary among Jets fans.

Legacy

A Defining Moment in the Rex Ryan Era: This victory epitomized the bold and confident approach of Rex Ryan’s tenure as head coach, showcasing the Jets’ potential and resilience.

 

The 1982 AFC Championship Game

Background

Date: January 23, 1983

Opponent: Miami Dolphins

Significance: Jets’ deep playoff run during a strike-shortened season

Key Moments

Mud Bowl Conditions: The game was played on a muddy field, severely impacting play.

Controversial Officiating: Several disputed calls added to the game’s drama.

Jets’ Defense Shines: Despite the loss, the Jets’ defense performed admirably under difficult conditions.

Legacy

Heartbreak but an Important Chapter in Jets History: Though the Jets fell short, this game remains a memorable part of their storied past, showcasing their grit and resilience.

 

The 2009 Wild Card Game vs. Bengals

Background

Date: January 9, 2010

Opponent: Cincinnati Bengals

Significance: Start of a surprising playoff run

Key Moments

Dominant Performance by the Defense: The Jets’ defense stifled the Bengals’ offense, allowing only 14 points.

Mark Sanchez’s Poised Leadership: Sanchez managed the game effectively, making key plays without turnovers.

Shonn Greene’s Breakout Game: Greene rushed for 135 yards and a touchdown, emerging as a playoff star.

Legacy

Laid the Foundation for a Deep Playoff Run: This victory set the stage for the Jets’ impressive journey to the AFC Championship Game, marking a significant achievement in the Rex Ryan era.

 

The 2002 Overtime Win Against the Chargers

Background

Date: December 29, 2002

Opponent: San Diego Chargers

Significance: Secured a playoff berth in dramatic fashion

Key Moments

John Hall’s Game-Winning Field Goal: Hall kicked a 37-yard field goal in overtime to clinch the victory.

Chad Pennington’s Clutch Performance: Pennington led the offense with poise, throwing for 307 yards and two touchdowns.

Laveranues Coles’ Pivotal Catches: Coles made several critical receptions, including a key 44-yard catch in overtime.

Legacy

Pivotal Moment in the Early 2000s Jets Era: This game marked a turning point, propelling the Jets into the playoffs and showcasing the potential of their young quarterback, Chad Pennington.

 

The 2015 Thriller Against the Giants

Background

Date: December 6, 2015

Opponent: New York Giants

Significance: Intense inter-city rivalry game

Key Moments

Ryan Fitzpatrick’s Late-Game Heroics: Fitzpatrick led a fourth-quarter comeback, including a crucial drive to tie the game.

Brandon Marshall’s Game-Tying Touchdown: Marshall caught a touchdown pass to send the game into overtime.

Randy Bullock’s Game-Winning Field Goal in Overtime: Bullock kicked a 31-yard field goal to secure the victory for the Jets.

Legacy

Highlight of a Strong 2015 Season: This thrilling win was a standout moment in a successful season, demonstrating the team’s resilience and competitive spirit.

Honorable Mentions

2010 AFC Wild Card Game vs. Colts

Background

Date: January 8, 2011

Opponent: Indianapolis Colts

Significance: The Jets secured a dramatic last-second victory against a formidable opponent.

Key Moments

Nick Folk’s Game-Winning Field Goal: Folk kicked a 32-yard field goal as time expired to win the game.

LaDainian Tomlinson’s Rushing Touchdowns: Tomlinson scored two crucial touchdowns to keep the Jets competitive.

Mark Sanchez’s Poised Leadership: Sanchez drove the team down the field in the final minutes to set up the winning kick.

Legacy

Continued Playoff Success: This victory reinforced the Jets’ ability to perform under pressure and marked another high point in their playoff run during the Rex Ryan era.

2004 Comeback Against the Chargers in the Playoffs

Background

Date: January 8, 2005

Opponent: San Diego Chargers

Significance: A remarkable comeback win in the Wild Card round of the playoffs.

Key Moments

Doug Brien’s Game-Winning Field Goal in Overtime: Brien kicked a 28-yard field goal to secure the win after a dramatic fourth-quarter comeback.

Chad Pennington’s Leadership: Pennington threw two touchdown passes, rallying the team from a 10-point deficit.

Defense Holds Strong: The Jets’ defense made key stops to force overtime and eventually secure the victory.

Legacy

Memorable Playoff Performance: This game showcased the Jets’ resilience and determination, setting the stage for their deep playoff run.

1998 AFC Championship Game vs. Broncos

Background

Date: January 17, 1999

Opponent: Denver Broncos

Significance: The Jets’ first AFC Championship Game appearance in three decades.

Key Moments

Strong First Half Performance: The Jets led 10-0 early in the game.

Turnover Troubles: Key turnovers in the second half allowed the Broncos to take control.

Curtis Martin’s Effort: Despite the loss, Martin rushed for 88 yards and a touchdown, highlighting his consistent performance.

Legacy

Significant Milestone: Although the Jets fell short, reaching the AFC Championship Game was a major achievement and a high point in the Bill Parcells era, laying the groundwork for future success.

Conclusion

The New York Jets have provided their fans with many unforgettable games that have left a lasting impact on the franchise’s history. From Super Bowl III to thrilling playoff victories, each game has contributed to the rich tapestry of Jets lore. These games serve as a testament to the team’s resilience, skill, and the passionate support of Jets Nation.

 

 

 

 

 

 

The post The Best New York Jets Games Ever: A Journey Through History appeared first on JetNation.com - New York Jets Blog & Forum.

Click here to read the full story...

This is a very nice list, but unfortunately, you missed the 2nd greatest game in NY Jets history!

I'm almost tempted not to give you the answer, and let you think about it for awhile, but IMHO it is not even debatable.

First a hint:  This is the first time the Jets have ever won a game of this magnitude, and it was the last time the Jets have ever won a game of this magnitude, except for Super Bowl III.

Have you figured it out yet?......

Yes, it was the AFC Championship game of 1968, when the Jets won a very hard fought victory against the Oakland Raiders to send them to their first and only Superbowl.  I happened to be at that game, and the Raiders had a great team of their own that year.  In fact, the Raiders had a regular season record of 12-2, better than the Jets regular season record of 11-3.  The game came down to the wire, with the Jets prevailing 27-23.  I believe had the Raiders won that game, they would have been the first AFC team to beat the NFC that year, and they would have beaten the Colts.  Thankfully, our NY Jets prevailed, and they made history with Joe Namath.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/23/2024 at 11:42 PM, MykePM said:

Nice job, but this type of list is a magnet for “What about…s”.  Here’s mine:

The stakes weren’t as high as with many of the other games on your list, but the 51-45 OT victory over the Dolphins in ‘86 was the most exciting game I’ve ever seen.  

I was at that game, and it was for me the most exciting sporting event that I have ever been to, with the exception of the AFC Championship game of 1968, which I attended.  Coming in 3rd place is the Miracle at the Meadowlands, which is another game I was fortunate enough to attend.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...