Playoff prediction - Detroit may make cars but Edmonton produces oil

Fred Jetstone

Edmonton closed the season playing like a well-oiled machine.

Detroit closed the season like a flat tire.

The Wings will get a big surprise when they pull up to the playoff pump. Oil prices are high and increasing by the minute.

Edmonton has hit a gusher with this matchup and will drill the Wings in 6.

In Other Series:

NYR exorcises NJ in 7

MTL blows away CAR in 6

OTT strikes TB in 4

BUF stabs PHIL in 6

ANA burns CLG in 7

COL smothers DAL in 7

SJ bites NSN in 5

Colin Campbell has said that any ref that doesn't call penalties the way the NHL wants it will be denied playoff assignments. In other words, swallowing the whistle won't be allowed. We'll see though. Seems as the season wore on there were fewer power plays,. which could be becuase players were more used to the new rule enforcement. Simply if the revert to pre-strike playoff enforcement, you can change the Rangers/Devls pediction below radically for the worse to the Devils.

Wings over Oilers in 5;

Sharks over Predators in 6;

Avs over Stars in 7;

Flames over Ducks in 6;

Sabres over Flyers in 6;

Lightning over Sens in 7;

Canes over Habs in 6;

and Rangers over Devils in 7(even with all their success Brodeur has never beatn the Rangers in a playoff series).

"and Rangers over Devils in 7(even with all their success Brodeur has never beatn the Rangers in a playoff series)"

Thanks for the jinx. I can here Barry Melrose now, "Even with all his success , this is the first time Martin Brodeur has ever beaten the Rangers in a playoff series."

Ugh

Detroit closed the season like a flat tire.

Hey Dumbass, I would hardly describe 1, ONE, a SINGLE regulation loss since March 7th the other day as closing on a flat tire. The Wings scored a point or two in 20 straight games, including an 8 game winning streak before their scrubs lost last Tuesday. You Wings haters are so pathetic you can't even get your facts straight.

I know we've been going at it over ther Messier/Yzerman thing. But I don't really see any team in the West that's going to stop the Wings. Come a Finals with Schneider, Yzerman, Chelios, Shanny et al all pushing 40, then, I don't know. If the eastern finalists have to fight through 3 tough series, might benefit the old Red guys a bit.

One thing I noticed a bunch-Rangers only had one PP vs. the Sens. Simply, if they're not going to call the clutch, grab and interference away from the puck, the Rangers will be out in 5. ANd I'm not sure I believe Colin Campbell ordering refs to call it tight. Sounds like window dressing.

Watched the whole game, was pretty close for quite awhile, actually Edmonton did very well for a period or two, Roloson was insanely good, Legace had some nice saves.

Rolosson really deserves a lot of credit. He played unbelievably and should me commended. However when you have 54 shots on you, one is going to trickle in at some point. His defense owes him a steak dinner.

Had Edmonton's D held up better this would've been closer, but Edmonton's D let Rolo down big time.

Rolosson really deserves a lot of credit. He played unbelievably and should me commended. However when you have 54 shots on you, one is going to trickle in at some point. His defense owes him a steak dinner.

Bad news for the Rangers-the refs have decided to ignore Colin Campbell and are letting the penalties slide unless there's a major felonious assault on the puckholder. Do what ever you want away from the puck. If Campbell really is going to bench refs who don't call it tight, based on last night there will be "Help wanted" ads for refs by the next round.

I was impressed with the Wings. Zetterberg's a lot like Alexei Kovalev though-just shoot the damn puck and stop trying to make the prettiest of plays. Game would've been over in regualtion a few times if this guy just pushed the puck on net.

I'm sure they'll dream up some excuse.

Hey, I got a good one. Half their roster is over 100 years old. They may not win the Stanley Cup but perhaps they can be listed in the Guiness World Book of Records as the oldest group to ever lace on skates.

Bottom line is, they left their legs behind chasing that mean-nothing title.

Or they left their legs in San Francisco, one or the other.

You guys do realize that the Wings actually had a better road record than home record, and didn't lose in Edmonton this year, right? And that Edmonton has the worst home record out of any team that made the playoffs?

Oh, and anyone can beat the Rags when they're without their best two players.

Buffalo, New Jersey, Carolina, Ottawa, these teams aren't push overs, to tell you the truth I'm surprised at the fight Edmonton is putting up.

Who's better than the four seed in the East. What's your point?

The West is by far and away the more superior conference. The 8 seed in the West would be a top three in the East.

Who's better than the four seed in the East. What's your point?

The West is by far and away the more superior conference. The 8 seed in the West would be a top three in the East.

The west always thinks they are better then they get a reality check in the finals. Too bad for you that detriot won't even get to that point.

The west always thinks they are better then they get a reality check in the finals. Too bad for you that detriot won't even get to that point.

Wait til the Devils get ran over by the Sens.

And, the cup finals? If the Flames, Wings, Avs, Stars, ect, weren't all beat up by better teams, by the time they got to the Finals, they'd win. You are aware that the 11th seed in the west would be the 6 in the East, right?

Wait til the Devils get ran over by the Sens.

And, the cup finals? If the Flames, Wings, Avs, Stars, ect, weren't all beat up by better teams, by the time they got to the Finals, they'd win. You are aware that the 11th seed in the west would be the 6 in the East, right?

The reason the 11th seed has as many points as the east's 6 is because there are more HORRIBLE teams in the west that are easy wins. The wings should know that very well because they have an inflated point count thanks to the 3 JOKE teams in their own division. The east is a MUCH more evev conference as displayed by the fact thet it had 2 more 100 point teams then the west and that a good team like the thrashers didn't even MAKE the playoffs.

As far as the sens go they are a very talented team and would ROLL OVER anyone the west puts up there except maybe the Flames if mikka is on his game but they are gonna have to get by the devils and we've had their number in the past and i'll take my chances again. If that ended up being the conference final i'm sure it will be a great series just like the last time we played them in 03.

The reason the 11th seed has as many points as the east's 6 is because there are more HORRIBLE teams in the west that are easy wins. The wings should know that very well because they have an inflated point count thanks to the 3 JOKE teams in their own division. The east is a MUCH more evev conference as displayed by the fact thet it had 2 more 100 point teams then the west and that a good team like the thrashers didn't even MAKE the playoffs.

As far as the sens go they are a very talented team and would ROLL OVER anyone the west puts up there except maybe the Flames if mikka is on his game but they are gonna have to get by the devils and we've had their number in the past and i'll take my chances again. If that ended up being the conference final i'm sure it will be a great series just like the last time we played them in 03.

Holy crap... that's some ignorance coming off your post.

Two more 100 point teams lead by teh fact that the East is very WEAK. If the Wings played in the East, they would have had 140 points. And, we've been over their supposed weak division. You're just being ignorant. You're aware that the Wings joke of a division had a winning record against the East, and against the West right? Actually, Dallas had their stats infated more from playing the rest of the Central division. You may wanna check your stats before you post such garbage.

Archived