New York Jets, Haason Reddick Contract Saga No Longer About Fines. Game checks are now on the line, to the tune of $852,941 for each game missed.

Just now, Green Ghost said:

So what’s the answer? Nobody has shown it to me tonight.

No one is going to have an exact figure until he actually sits out the season and the dust has settled. But there are a few articles that stated he would lose more than just his salary.

Even if it's just his salary of 14.5 mil, sitting out the season and remaining under Jets control for 2025 doesn't seem like a genius move to me.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

What he didn't have were guaranteed seasons after this season, which is what he was/is holding out to get, and with an 8-figure/season pay raise at that. 

I need signed and notarized statement from Haason Reddick before I accept this. Thank you.

1 minute ago, bicketybam said:

I need signed and notarized statement from Haason Reddick before I accept this. Thank you.

But even then, how do you know that isn't a forged notary stamp on the written statement, or that it wasn't AI spoofing him saying he was going to play hard for the Jets even if they don't get an extension worked out.

Were you there yourself? If not, how do you know???

12 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

This isn't correct.

If he got injured in preseason while practicing/playing for the Jets, the final year of his contract was guaranteed. Ditto if he didn't get hurt in preseason but was on the opening day roster: the whole season is fully guaranteed at that point. 

His contract was guaranteed, unless his concern was actually getting cut by the Jets after they traded for him. But a player doesn't hold out from the team - and then demand to be moved off the team - if that was ever his concern.

In effect he had a guaranteed contract. 

What he didn't have were guaranteed seasons after this season, which is what he was/is holding out to get, and with an 8-figure/season pay raise at that. 

His contract wasn’t guaranteed until after the season began, and at that point he already asked to be traded.

I know this sounds confusing, but If a player’s contract isn’t guaranteed until he reports, how can he be fined if he never reports?

On the other hand, if he does report in season to accrue the year, then I understand the fines being imposed.

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

But even then, how do you know that isn't a forged notary stamp on the written statement, or that it wasn't AI spoofing him saying he was going to play hard for the Jets even if they don't get an extension worked out.

Were you there yourself? If not, how do you know???

It needs to be videotaped and witnessed by at least a dozen people.

4 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

His contract wasn’t guaranteed until after the season began, and at that point he already asked to be traded.

I know this sounds confusing, but If a player’s contract isn’t guaranteed until he reports, how can he be fined if he never reports?

On the other hand, if he does report in season, then I understand the fines being imposed.

All this idiot had to do was report and hold in. Unless this guy is done with football, I don't see any way you can spin it to say he's handled this well. 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

On the other hand, if he does report in season, then I understand the fines being imposed.

In case you didn't read the post you replied to, that's not really true. 

The only manner in which it wasn't guaranteed is if the Jets cut him. Since the Jets would never do this the same offseason after trading a future 3rd round pick for him, and doubly since he wanted off the Jets anyway - formally requesting a trade at that, which limits his options more than getting released - this is a nonsensical concern.

His contract was only theoretically un-guaranteed. In practical terms, it was absolutely guaranteed since there's no realistic scenario under which he'd get screwed over by this season being technically not-guaranteed.

If you can imagine up some way the Jets could screw him out of the $14.25MM his contract called for, I'd love to hear it. 

• Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

In case you didn't read the post you replied to, that's not really true. 

The only manner in which it wasn't guaranteed is if the Jets cut him. Since the Jets would never do this the same offseason after trading a future 3rd round pick for him, and doubly since he wanted off the Jets anyway - formally requesting a trade at that, which limits his options more than getting released - this is a nonsensical concern.

His contract was only theoretically un-guaranteed. In practical terms, it was absolutely guaranteed since there's no realistic scenario under which he'd get screwed over by this season being technically not-guaranteed.

If you can imagine up some way the Jets could screw him out of the $14.25MM his contract called for, I'd love to hear it. 

Let me ask you a question then. If he had held in, and Douglas got fed up with the situation and cut him before the season started, how much money would the Jets owe him?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Let me ask you a question then. If he had held in, and Douglas got fed up with the situation and cut him before the season started, how much money would the Jets owe him?

This is wild, lol 🤣 Do you think that was even in the realm of possibilities??? Wow 😳 

• WTF? 1

6 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

None, but the Jets weren't going to throw away a 3rd that way. Douglas took a calculated risk that Reddick would want to at least make his $15m. I like the gamble, Reddick just made a dumb decision.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Let me ask you a question then. If Douglas got fed up with this situation and cut him the day before the season started, how much money would the Jets owe him?

It hardly matters, since that would be exactly what Reddick wanted: off the Jets and free to get paid more, like he felt he should and would get from some other team.

And anyway, in what way does holding out help alleviate this non-concern more than showing up?

So again, it's an unrealistic non-concern. On paper it's not guaranteed. In practical terms, it was absolutely guaranteed. 

His concern wasn't not getting paid $14MM this season. His concern was not getting a big payday after this season, should he get badly injured or have a major down-season before reaching free agency again. I can sympathize with that from any player, but that doesn't therefore mean the Jets should be the ones to pay it. 

The only way he wouldn't get paid $14.25MM this season is if he stayed home and held out. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

7 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

This is wild, lol 🤣 Do you think that was even in the realm of possibilities??? Wow 😳 

After reading your last two posts it’s obvious you aren’t capable of following the conversation. 
Let me try to make it simple for you. Go back and read my post you just quoted, then just try to answer the question. 
If you can’t, no problem. Just don’t reply.

• WTF? 1

7 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It hardly matters, since that would be exactly what Reddick wanted: off the Jets and free to get paid more, like he felt he should and would get from some other team.

And anyway, in what way does holding out help alleviate this non-concern more than showing up?

So again, it's an unrealistic non-concern. On paper it's not guaranteed. In practical terms, it was absolutely guaranteed. 

His concern wasn't not getting paid $14MM this season. His concern was not getting a big payday after this season, should he get badly injured or have a major down-season before reaching free agency again. I can sympathize with that from any player, but that doesn't therefore mean the Jets should be the ones to pay it. 

The only way he wouldn't get paid $14.25MM this season is if he stayed home and held out. 

Excellent point about getting cut being exactly what he wanted.

11 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

None, but the Jets weren't going to throw away a 3rd that way. Douglas took a calculated risk that Reddick would want to at least make his $15m. I like the gamble, Reddick just made a dumb decision.

Agreed. I would’ve gambled on it also, but who saw this playing out the way it has? If we lose a 3rd for nothing, it will be a shame.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

After reading your last two posts it’s obvious you aren’t capable of following the conversation. 
Let me try to make it simple for you. Go back and read my post you just quoted, then just try to answer the question. 
If you can’t, no problem. Just don’t reply.

Why in the world would Douglas cut Reddick after he reported to training camp? I'm following along fine. You keep creating these ridiculous scenarios. And as further proof he wouldn't have, he still hasn't cut him.  Do you think there was a chance he would cut him if he actually reported? Bro.

Yeah he would have been paid nothing but that doesn't do a thing to further your point.

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

So now explain how was that such a concern for him that it warranted holding out for even 5 seconds.

"Hey Joe Douglas, don't threaten me with a good time!"

Honestly Sperm, I think once he realized he wasn’t getting a nice extension here, he had no desire to play. I think the he would’ve done the same thing if he was still on the Eagles.

We can call him an idiot until the cows come home, but if the guy feels in his heart he’s not being valued the way he feels he should be, who are we to say he has to play?

1 minute ago, bicketybam said:

Why in the world would Douglas cut Reddick after he reported to training camp? I'm following along fine. You keep creating these ridiculous scenarios. And as further proof he wouldn't have, he still hasn't cut him.  Do you think there was a chance he would cut him if he actually reported? Bro.

Yeah he would have been paid nothing but that doesn't do a thing to further your point.

See, here you go again with not following along very well.

I’m not trying to make a point. I’m asking what happens to the fines if he never reports this season.

1 minute ago, Green Ghost said:

Honestly Sperm, I think once he realized he wasn’t getting a nice extension here, he had no desire to play. I think the he would’ve done the same thing if he was still on the Eagles.

We can call him an idiot until the cows come home, but if the guy feels in his heart he’s not being valued the way he feels he should be, who are we to say he has to play?

His contract that he signed... He can wait 2 years or hope the jets trade or cut him ... But he is still under a contract.

I’m not trying to make a point. I’m asking what happens to the fines if he never reports this season.

The team and NFL can file to go after them ... NFLPA may step in and try to protect it. But if he ever gets paid again from the NFL they will garnish his wages until the fines are paid.

28 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

1 minute ago, Green Ghost said:

And there I thought you asked how much the Jets would owe him if Douglas cut him after he reported to camp.

So just say that instead of all this horse***t about his pay this year not being guaranteed, since the only theoretical risk - emancipation from the Jets - would have been welcomed by Reddick anyway. 

If simply guaranteeing this season was all this was about it would've been rectified in less time than it takes for Douglas break a pretzel, since there was a 0% chance of the Jets cutting Reddick this summer right after trading for him on an under-market contract.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

So just say that instead of all this horse***t about his pay this year not being guaranteed, since the only theoretical risk - emancipation from the Jets - would have been welcomed by Reddick anyway. 

If simply guaranteeing this season was all this was about it would've been rectified in less time than it takes for Douglas break a pretzel, since there was a 0% chance of the Jets cutting Reddick this summer right after trading for him on an under-market contract.

The non guaranteed statements went to my question about whether the fines would carry over to next season.