New York Jets, Haason Reddick Contract Saga No Longer About Fines. Game checks are now on the line, to the tune of $852,941 for each game missed.

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

He was making the non-guarantee claims this offseason before he held out. It was always nonsense right from the start. 

Regardless, explain the logic of saying the Jets might cut him but they wouldn't trade him to get something in return.

Just say you were arguing such things purely to be argumentative -- I could at least empathize with and respect that.

Also your Giants suck again this year ;)

I put a nice amount on them being under 5 1/2 wins, so I’ll go to bed happy, my friend.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

No, that is incorrect if he held in and was on the roster game 1 as a veteran his full salary is guaranteed

The scenario we were discussing was if Douglas got fed up with the hold in and cut him before the season started.

You need to read 😜

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

He was making the non-guarantee claims this offseason before he held out. It was always nonsense right from the start. 

Regardless, explain the logic of saying the Jets might cut him but they wouldn't trade him to get something in return.

Just say you were arguing such things purely to be argumentative -- I could at least empathize with and respect that.

Also your Giants suck again this year ;)

If his contract demands are out of this world he's untradable is the thing.

You know who could use him? Dallas. Their pass rush didn't look so great last night. Jerry Jones has overpaid in trades before (see Lance, Trey.) I'd shake Jerry's tree to see if we could squeeze a 2025 3rd for him. This won't help this year's team but if it appears there is no way he's going to report, and that kind offer becomes available, I'd take it.

9 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

See, here you go again with not following along very well.

I’m not trying to make a point. I’m asking what happens to the fines if he never reports this season.

I have no idea what sort of logic you’re applying here. He’s being fined because he’s violating the terms of his contract. Are you somehow under the impression that the fines would void if he violates the terms of his contract to the extreme degree of not showing up at all? How would that work? That would be a pretty crazy loop hole. Luckily you killed 17 people, because if you had stopped at 10 we would’ve had to punish you - but at 17 it just resets and we do nothing. 

The only way he could possibly avoid the fines is if he retires. Hard to attach wages when no wages are being earned (I’d imagine they could if they wanted to, though), but the Jets could still go after a third of his signing bonus. 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

See, here you go again with not following along very well.

I’m not trying to make a point. I’m asking what happens to the fines if he never reports this season.

It’s an interesting question. Who’s enforcing these fines? How often does he have to pay them? What if he doesn’t pay them? If he’s not getting paid how is he getting fined?

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

If his contract demands are out of this world he's untradable is the thing.

He has grossly over-estimated his market, which is definitely a sizable chunk of the problem.

How/when Reddick will accept the reality, that he's not worth the money he thinks he should get, God only knows.

More and more this looks like week 10 is when he shows up

i would expect at least 1 week of practice before he could see the field but will have some nagging injury occur which prevents him from playing

Other scenario could be jets are in a playoff picture and he wants to get in some games to try and resurrect his fa value

Coaches will have an interesting decision cause if the young guys are playing well and growing, you going to upset that with a guy who is simply using you for a payday somewhere else?

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

He has grossly over-estimated his market, which is definitely a sizable chunk of the problem.

How/when Reddick will accept the reality, that he's not worth the money he thinks he should get, God only knows.

I don't think he will ever accept that he's not worth the money he thinks he should get. The best we can hope for is that he accepts the fact that no one is willing to pay it.

3 minutes ago, Trotter said:

More and more this looks like week 10 is when he shows up

i would expect at least 1 week of practice before he could see the field but will have some nagging injury occur which prevents him from playing

Other scenario could be jets are in a playoff picture and he wants to get in some games to try and resurrect his fa value

Coaches will have an interesting decision cause if the young guys are playing well and growing, you going to upset that with a guy who is simply using you for a payday somewhere else?

I think it's painfully clear that Reddick has absolutely no faith in himself. I hope I'm wrong but I really don't think he wants to play out this contract because he's afraid he might not show enough to get his next big deal. In his mind he should get the next big deal based off what he's already done and not what he does this year. That's the feeling I get.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Probably this is the case, but I think in certain areas if you follow your paid advocate's advice and it turns out to be poor advice, it's actionable. I think Reddick would have to show that no other agent could/would reasonably give the same advice to a client and not have it end badly like this, though, which he won't be able to prove (others have held out and it paid off, which is what he hoped would happen in his Jets holdout). 

But if there was something egregious, like telling Reddick there's no additional risk to holding out vs. holding in (maybe a bad example, since this hardly hidden knowledge; I mean, we all knew it); and had he communicated - or failed to communicate - this incorrectly to his client, I'd think that'd be more actionable. He'd probably have to show why he's to be absolved as an ignoramus if everyone else knew this stuff, though.

What you are saying is just completely bonkers. This is homer wishful thinking trying to masquerade as thoughtful via word count. You are talking about decisions that are contractually as well as practically reserved to the player. Your example is not ‘maybe’ a bad one, it’s just insane. The penalties or not for holdouts or in are in the contract he signed which incorporates the CBA. The agent’s upside is capped at 1%. His exposure can’t be based on your feelings. Nobody would take the gig.

17 minutes ago, Trotter said:

More and more this looks like week 10 is when he shows up.

If he shows up, it will be in time to play Week 10.

However, I still believe he will sit out the entire season - regardless of the consequences he'll have to face, as a result.

The guy is not thinking rationally, all of his deicsions are based on his emotions & I expect that to continue, at least through this season.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

What you are saying is just completely bonkers. This is homer wishful thinking trying to masquerade as thoughtful via word count. You are talking about decisions that are contractually as well as practically reserved to the player. Your example is not ‘maybe’ a bad one, it’s just insane. The penalties or not for holdouts or in are in the contract he signed which incorporates the CBA. The agent’s upside is capped at 1%. His exposure can’t be based on your feelings. Nobody would take the gig.

Kinda what you would cum to expect from jizm that could type. No? 

1 minute ago, ARodJetsFan said:

If he shows up, it will be in time to play Week 10.

However, I still believe he will sit out the entire season - regardless of the consequences he'll have to face, as a result.

The guy is not thinking rationally, all of his deicsion are based on his emotions & I expect that to continue, at least through this season.

The fact that the media didn't ask Saleh about Reddick this week speaks volumes

• Upvote 3

26 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

4th team in 7 years. 

Smoke....

just before dawn fire GIF

I have stated this numerous times and have mostly been rebuffed here, when I've brought this up.

Reddick is a a selfish, me-first player, not a team player, which is why he has constantly bounced around the league and I expect he will continue to bounce around the league, for however many seasons he may have left.

He will not committ long term to any organization, only to himself.

If he doesn't report this season (as I expect he won't) he will become virtually untradeable.

No respectable GM will want to deal with this jackass & his agents.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

I think it's painfully clear that Reddick has absolutely no faith in himself. I hope I'm wrong but I really don't think he wants to play out this contract because he's afraid he might not show enough to get his next big deal. In his mind he should get the next big deal based off what he's already done and not what he does this year. That's the feeling I get.

Sacks last four seasons

11  '23

12.5  '20

If he doesn't have faith in himself, playing in this D system, which is DE friendly, well he really is dumb

34 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

I don't think he will ever accept that he's not worth the money he thinks he should get. The best we can hope for is that he accepts the fact that no one is willing to pay it.

6 of one, a half dozen of the other.

The most ironic part of this is, he either doesn't realize, or just doesn't care, that his antics this season are only hurting his value, going into next season.

That said, it's very clear to me, his emotions are what's guiding his decision making, not any kind of logical thought process, which is why I don't expect him to show up at all this season.

I firmly believe that JD will trade him in the off-season, for whatever compensation he can scrounge for him, which likely won't be anything more than a future day 3 draft pick.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, bicketybam said:

You know who could use him? Dallas. Their pass rush didn't look so great last night. Jerry Jones has overpaid in trades before (see Lance, Trey.) I'd shake Jerry's tree to see if we could squeeze a 2025 3rd for him. This won't help this year's team but if it appears there is no way he's going to report, and that kind offer becomes available, I'd take it.

A 2025 3rd ? No way.. Maybe before he was head case, non team player, out of game shape.  Remember the jets traded 2026 3rd, with chance of becoming 2nd.. a 2025 3rd would have beat the jets offer.. His value definitely went down.. He is so bitter with the jets he will play on his current deal with anyone but the jets ? lol. I doubt any team would trust that. He already has shown he is dishonest about honor current deal. I think JD would take a 2025 4th , but that even seems far fetched.. Unless it is flipped for a player to win now, I don’t see why JD would trade a player who really has no choice but to play by week 10. 

8 minutes ago, KRL said:

The fact that the media didn't ask Saleh about Reddick this week speaks volumes

Or asking Rodgers Wednesday about his Reddick's agent comment on McAfee.  Something tells me they've been told not to ask Rodgers about Reddick.

Cimini asked Rodgers mid-August if he would call Reddick. He said he would.  I do not recall seeing anything since from the media asking Rodgers if he has called him. Maybe I missed it

Reddick showing up week 11 in the heart of a playoff push and becoming a major distraction is something that should be avoided.  I get it, we don’t KNOW if he will be a distraction, but the writing is on the wall and not worth the risk.  I say trade him. 

13 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

A 2025 3rd ? No way.. Maybe before he was head case, non team player, out of game shape.  Remember the jets traded 2026 3rd, with chance of becoming 2nd.. a 2025 3rd would have beat the jets offer.. His value definitely went down.. He is so bitter with the jets he will play on his current deal with anyone but the jets ? lol. I doubt any team would trust that. He already has shown he is dishonest about honor current deal. I think JD would take a 2025 4th , but that even seems far fetched.. Unless it is flipped for a player to win now, I don’t see why JD would trade a player who really has no choice but to play by week 10. 

We are talking about Jerry Jones here 🤣 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Tooooon said:

Reddick showing up week 11 in the heart of a playoff push and becoming a major distraction is something that should be avoided.  I get it, we don’t KNOW if he will be a distraction, but the writing is on the wall and not worth the risk.  I say trade him. 

I think it will just be the opposite.. All eyes will be on jets, and therefore him. He is going to have to ball out harder than ever in last stretch of season to make up for all the lost value this holdout put him in. Otherwise his contract offers in off season will be LOT lower than he ever could imagine. His age at position , attitude, lack of playing definitely hurt his value. Unless he comes out ready to play and help jets win, he might as well retire now.. Because nobody will want to pay him..

24 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

I firmly believe that JD will trade Reddick in the off-season, for whatever compensation he can scrounge for him, which likely won't be anything more than a future day 3 draft pick.

No GM will give up any serious draft capital, for a 31 year old player (He'll be 31 next season) that just sat out a full season & handles his business like this.

My guess is if we're lucky, maybe we get a future 5th rounder - but a future 6th rounder is probably more likely.

If JD managed to get anything more than that, it would be a miracle.

1 minute ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

I think it will just be the opposite.. All eyes will be on jets, and therefore him. He is going to have to ball out harder than ever in last stretch of season to make up for all the lost value this holdout put him in. Otherwise his contract offers in off season will be LOT lower than he ever could imagine. His age at position , attitude, lack of playing definitely hurt his value. Unless he comes out ready to play and help jets win, he might as well retire now.. Because nobody will want to pay him..

I think we all agree he isn’t being rational about any of this so expecting him to show up and be perfectly rational strikes me as highly unlikely. Time will tell. 

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

A fine is a fine. They carry over; you can't undo a fine. That's as best I can tell anyway. 

Some of it is discretionary. Whether it's to get him onto the field sooner, or to get a higher pick in return should he sit out the whole season (so his new team can get him to keep more $ without them actually paying him more $), I wouldn't be shocked if the Jets waived the discretionary part. Too early to tell yet, as it depends how this all goes down, whenever it is that it ends.

Yes. Article 42, Section 5(b). “The assignment [i.e. trade] and/or termination of a player’s contract[…] shall not result in a waiver of the assigning or terminating Club’s right to seek to recover the full amount of the fines.”

But what is unclear from my quick read is it seems the only mechanism to enforce payment is through monies owed and outstanding from the Club to the player. So… if the Club never paid him and owes him nothing… I’m not sure what recourse the Jets would have. For example, it does not appear they can garnish his wages from a new contract made with another Club. Maybe they can sue him in a court of law, but I think under CBA they are limited to binding arbitration.

@Green Ghost

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

5 minutes ago, Tooooon said:

I think we all agree he isn’t being rational about any of this so expecting him to show up and be perfectly rational strikes me as highly unlikely. Time will tell. 

He can easily fake it for 2 months, show everyone he is team player, show he still is 1 of best pass rushers in game.. Someone “ then” might  pay him little more than he is making now. We have seen it happen many times with jets, or other sports. How often does a guy play his best right before he hits free agency , and then mysteriously coasts in the beginning of a new contract. Glad the jets won’t be 1 of those suckers..  

12 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

I firmly believe that JD will trade Reddick in the off-season, for whatever compensation he can scrounge for him, which likely won't be anything more than a future day 3 draft pick.

No GM will give up any serious draft capital, for a 31 year old player (He'll be 31 next season) that just sat out a full season & handles his business like this.

My guess is if we're lucky, maybe we get a future 5th rounder - but a future 6th rounder is probably more likely.

If redDick believes JD will hold him and block his free agency by trading him in off season, he will buckle and play. That’s JDs best move here to force this prick to ball out for last 2 months so he gets to enter FA and get a decent deal. 

25 minutes ago, jgb said:

Yes. Article 42, Section 5(b). “The assignment [i.e. trade] and/or termination of a player’s contract[…] shall not result in a waiver of the assigning or terminating Club’s right to seek to recover the full amount of the fines.”

But what is unclear from my quick read is it seems the only mechanism to enforce payment is through monies owed and outstanding from the Club to the player. So… if the Club never paid him and owes him nothing… I’m not sure what recourse the Jets would have. For example, it does not appear they can garnish his wages from a new contract made with another Club. Maybe they can sue him in a court of law, but I think under CBA they are limited to binding arbitration.

@Green Ghost

If he shows up in '24. He gets paid and needs to pay the fines?

If he doesn't show up at all '24, he contracts rolls to '25 season. Guessing he either reports then, gets paid Sept '25 (game checks) and fines carry over?  Or he doesn't report in '25, the song and dance continues leading eventually to retirement?

Obviously, assuming no new contract or reworked contract occurs and also not a regime change. A new regime will just wash his hands of this.