NFL's top 12 paid QB's

AFJF

20 hours ago, JiFtheOracle said:

AFC: Jackson, Burrow, Rodgers, Fields - they are all good enough to win one w/ the right team around them.

NFC: Goff, Hurts, Stafford, and eventually Jayden Daniels can do it as well...maybe Dak could pull it off too.

But this is the Chiefs and Mahomes league until the Goodell decides otherwise. 

Stafford allready did it.

15 hours ago, Wit said:

The issue is, who do you replace them with?

That's a year-to-year thing.

If you think the guy you have is trash and believe there's a mid-level veteran in FA who is both cheaper and an upgrade, you can grab a guy like that if you also believe you'll be in position to draft a guy who you can develop under the vet.

Teams just don't do it because they're too scared.

• Upvote 1

True but things have changed. Can you honestly convince yourself a single one of those guys will win a Super Bowl? I can’t.
Goff and Burrow would be the two I'd take ... QBs ain't what they used to be ... Teams should start to realize some of these guys probably are not worth 1/4 their cap space. And paying a mid guy record breaking cash just ain't worth it .. better to role.the doce on the draft.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Missed it.  

A few have also been to the SB.  Hard to say you can't win if you get there.  There have been several less than great QB's who have won because of other mismatches including coaching.

Well, I listed all the QB's in the league who have won it or been there except Purdy but this is an interesting time in the league where only 4 QB's playing have rings and 1 is toast and the other is the oldest player in the league; Rodgers, Russ, Stafford, Mahomes..     Wasnt that long ago where at least 8 QBs were playing in the league w/ rings; Brady, Brees, Big Ben, Manning's, Flacco, Rodgers, Russ, Foles, 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, JiFtheOracle said:

Well, I listed all the QB's in the league who have won it or been there except Purdy but this is an interesting time in the league where only 4 QB's playing have rings and 1 is toast and the other is the oldest player in the league; Rodgers, Russ, Stafford, Mahomes..     Wasnt that long ago where at least 8 QBs were playing in the league w/ rings; Brady, Brees, Big Ben, Manning's, Flacco, Rodgers, Russ, Foles, 

Yet the Pat still is going up. Kind of my point, they are getting paid for the position well beyond the skill level they have. It’s more like a real expensive lottery ticket than paying pay roll. My point was none of those four are on the list and the guys that list are anymore likely to win it than any other QB. For the most part 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, JiFtheOracle said:

Good point.  It may just be an anomaly that will revert to the norm.  TBD 

1 hour ago, jgb said:

Mahomes is just a massive skewing factor. He can turn chicken sh*t into chicken salad.

Hard to know how it continues to play out.  The NFL cap and draft tends to break up dynasties.  He’s a freak but it’s a very competitive league with a lot of good young QB talent.  

Back when Rodgers was in his prime he looked like a guy who would win 4SB.  Didn’t happen.  It’s probably not getting easier.  One flat game and their are two different QB’s going for a SB win.

• Upvote 1

On 9/25/2024 at 5:42 AM, jgb said:

I wonder what percentage of the last 25 Super Bowls are won by top 12 paid QBs. I’d guess north of 90% with most of the remaining 10% being studs on their rookie contracts. That’s why you pay them.

i think the only pedestrian qbs to win a super bowl of late were brad johnson and trent dilfer.  before them you can add hostetler, rypien, and even doug williams (though he was much better once he left tampa and went to a real team).

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, rangerous said:

i think the only pedestrian qbs to win a super bowl of late were brad johnson and trent dilfer.  before them you can add hostetler, rypien, and even doug williams (though he was much better once he left tampa and went to a real team).

Yeah I think “in the old days” it was a lot easier to hide a QB behind a good running game and defense. But as we all know, almost every significant rules change in the last 30 years has been a benefit to passing.

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Biggs said:

Hard to know how it continues to play out.  The NFL cap and draft tends to break up dynasties.  He’s a freak but it’s a very competitive league with a lot of good young QB talent.  

Back when Rodgers was in his prime he looked like a guy who would win 4SB.  Didn’t happen.  It’s probably not getting easier.  One flat game and there are two different QB’s going for a SB win.

Very true or an injury, etc. but already Mahomes has confounded the conventional wisdom a bit.

1 hour ago, jgb said:

Yeah I think “in the old days” it was a lot easier to hide a QB behind a good running game and defense. But as we all know, almost every significant rules change in the last 30 years has been a benefit to passing.

yep.  but i can't help thinking a team with a determined run game could still do very well.  it's kind of like the pistol formation.  the niners went far with it because they were the only team using it.  so it was hard for the defenses to adjust, at least the first few times around.  and if they're the only team using it then it's just another formation the defenses have to learn.  but this doesn't mean i'd advocate just running.  the successful team also needs to pass much like griese did.  i remember when the brady led patsies just about ran on every play against the jets.  rex almost pulled of a win by running exclusively but the jets lost because geno couldn't complete a pass when he needed.  but maybe the run game beats up the oline and backs too much these days.

as for the rule changes, it seems like the defensive scheming has caught up to the passing games.  we don't seem to be seeing a lot of long bombs being thrown.

On 9/26/2024 at 5:52 AM, Dunnie said:

Goff and Burrow would be the two I'd take ... QBs ain't what they used to be ... Teams should start to realize some of these guys probably are not worth 1/4 their cap space. And paying a mid guy record breaking cash just ain't worth it .. better to role.the doce on the draft.

Easier said than done.  

The right thing to do is to move on.  The Cowboys should have drafted another guy and moved on from Dak.  The Phins should have moved on from Tua.  

Jerrah should have put his big boy GM panties on and said, "we are going to let Dak walk after this year".  I am sure the fans screaming he does not deserve the money are also the ones that have enjoyed three straight 12-win seasons.  How palatable is taking a step back?

I think teams also look at the Commanderskins.  Had a decent QB is Cousins.  Let him walk.  6 years later after a 36-62-1 stretch, they might have the replacement.  Think Dallas season ticket holders or luxury box owners want to shell out $$$$$ for six seasons of crap? 

No.  You deal with the devil you know.

• Upvote 1

Easier said than done.  
The right thing to do is to move on.  The Cowboys should have drafted another guy and moved on from Dak.  The Phins should have moved on from Tua.  
Jerrah should have put his big boy GM panties on and said, "we are going to let Dak walk after this year".  I am sure the fans screaming he does not deserve the money are also the ones that have enjoyed three straight 12-win seasons.  How palatable is taking a step back?
I think teams also look at the Commanderskins.  Had a decent QB is Cousins.  Let him walk.  6 years later after a 36-62-1 stretch, they might have the replacement.  Think Dallas season ticket holders or luxury box owners want to shell out $$$$$ for six seasons of crap? 
No.  You deal with the devil you know.

The hole in your theory is that your making it sound like Dak was the sole responsibility for those 12 win seasons ... It's a common and flawed misconception... It's a team sport and things like a dominant OL are nearly as important.

1 hour ago, Dunnie said:

The hole in your theory is that your making it sound like Dak was the sole responsibility for those 12 win seasons ... It's a common and flawed misconception... It's a team sport and things like a dominant OL are nearly as important.

Fair point. 

It is not like he is 2001 Tom Brady that relies on a very good D either.

Again, I do not disagree with your point about teams should be smarter about extending QBs.  Especially for borderline Top 10 QBs. 

I think it is easier said than done.   Look at all the QBs that have been paid.  Outside of maybe Allen, even then, Owners, GMs and fans are looking at their QBs.  We are winning games, but my guy is not Mahomes.  

The counter is teams that are in the "our QB is at best an 8-12 QB in the league" draft a guy every year until you find the guy idea.  The Patriots kind of did that. 

The Patriots drafted Garoppolo in the second.  He is sandwiched between Allen Robinson and Jarvis Landry.  Within 10 picks of Davante Adams.  All players that might have extended Brady's time in New England.  While not as egregious, there are a couple of players the Patriots might have been able to get something from more than Brisset.  With Brisset's three starts this year, the Patriots got 6 starts out of their 2nd and 3rd round picks.

I think team's want to deal with the devil they know.