Is Joe Tippmann on Way to Becoming Next Great Jets Center?

6 hours ago, AFJF said:

The Jets history at center has been pretty crazy, really.  

Even before Mawae and Mangold there was Sweeney, who may not have been a HoFer but a very good player.

Joe Fields pre-dates me but from what I've read and seen, another very good player for a long stretch.

And John Schmitt before Fields was also very good.  Center for SBIII team...

• Upvote 4

Lets not over react ... I like Tipp hes playing well but he has missed some stunt pick ups and he is young . Let the kid develop over the year and lets see what we have then. Now is not the time to be making these comparisons.

Kevin Mawae was a truly great center he also did things beyond the scope of the position and thats what made him so special he was an amazing athelete. No center in history could pull like Mawae other than maybe Stepnowski of the early 90's Cowboys SB lines.

Joe Fields played the position and was a pro bowler he was not Kevin Mawae but he was the guy that did everything you needed done at the position as did Jim Sweeny. 

Edit and Oh crap I forgot about Mangold who was very solid a probowler who I put in the same realm as Fields

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, AFJF said:

The Jets history at center has been pretty crazy, really.  

Even before Mawae and Mangold there was Sweeney, who may not have been a HoFer but a very good player.

Joe Fields pre-dates me but from what I've read and seen, another very good player for a long stretch.

Sweeney and Fields were very good.

17 minutes ago, JOJOTOWNSELL said:

The Packers had Favre and Rodgers back to back

The Jets had Mawae and Mangold back to back

Life isnt fair…..

This is not equal.  Favre, rodgers and mawae are some of the greatest of all time to play their respective positions.

Mangold was solid for a long time but not in the same stratosphere as favre, rodgers, mawae.