NFL | League wants two teams in Los Angeles

Smizzy

NFL | League wants two teams in Los Angeles

Fri, 21 Apr 2006 20:12:16 -0700

Beth Barrett and Rick Orlov, of the Los Angeles Daily News, reports the NFL has brought up the idea of bringing two teams to Los Angeles and the rebuilt Memorial Coliseum. The league has asked the Coliseum Commission to think about expanding the cap on Coliseum events from 25 to 35 a year. The proposal will likely increase resistance from landmark museums in nearby Exposition Park. The source said, "When you spend a lot of money on a stadium, you want the right to bring a second team in if that makes sense. It would have a huge economic impact. It would be a better economic deal."

:character42:

It's starting to look like the Chargers are favourites to move to LA.

Mayor says city can't afford Chargers stadium

NFL.com wire reports

SAN DIEGO (April 21, 2006) -- Cash-strapped San Diego doesn't have the money to help the Chargers build a new stadium, Mayor Jerry Sanders said, opening the door for Southern California's only NFL team to leave the city it has called home for 45 years.

Sanders said he plans to ask the City Council to amend the Chargers' lease to allow the team to begin looking at sites elsewhere in San Diego County before the end of the year. If the team fails to find a new home in the county before Jan. 1, the Chargers would be free to negotiate a deal anywhere in the country.

The Chargers can leave San Diego after the 2008 season if they pay off the approximately $60 million in bonds the city issued in 1997 to expanded Qualcomm Stadium.

"I do not think it would be prudent or honest for me to say to taxpayers 'We can't resurface our roadways, but we can finance a stadium,"' the mayor said.

The Chargers' negotiator, Mark Fabiani, said the smaller cities of Oceanside, Chula Vista, and National City to the north and south of San Diego have approached the team, along with a private investor whose identity Fabiani wouldn't disclose.

"It's tough to make a deal like this in seven months, but it's enough time to get a sense of whether something can get done or not," Fabiani said. "This does give us an opportunity to really figure out whether there's anything promising out there."

San Diego is facing what the mayor called a financial and a managerial crisis, which includes a $1.4 billion city employee pension fund deficit and federal investigations into city finances.

The Chargers have been in San Diego since 1961, the year after they started playing in Los Angeles under the ownership of hotel magnate Barron Hilton.

Last year, the team proposed building a $450 million stadium as part of a commercial development the Qualcomm site, but dropped the plan because it could not find developers to share the estimated $800 million upfront costs. The team offered to pay for the stadium and traffic improvements, but wanted the city to give it 60 acres for development to recoup its costs.

Earlier this year, the mayor of San Antonio signaled that his city would welcome the Chargers to fill the Alamodome, where the displaced New Orleans Saints played three games last season.

yea not to bright when half of LA residents are on welfare and cant even afford to buy new jerseys as evident by there jeff hostetler jerseys

I see you edited your post. It must have even been more ignorant that it already is, which is hard to fathom.

It's starting to look like the Chargers are favourites to move to LA.

That's what they should do. Don't move anohter team or create another team. 32 teams are enough! San Diego is getting a new stadium though so I don't see it happening in the near future...

New Orleans, Jacksonville or Buffalo to L.A. are still my favorites in my mind to end up there eventually.

The NFL wants 2 teams in Los Angeles yet no one in LA wants as much as one team. Interesting

EXactly.

They will put a team in LA to maximize their next TV contract.

All Cali teams are having stadium issues. Moving two might make sense, but it would probably be two Cali teams. SD and Oakland? Interesting division battle.

I've been to San Diego, although it was in the early 90's, it was beautiful there, I felt so comfortable there, great weather, very relaxed, I looked around and said that if there was a team I would want to play for other than the Jets, it would be right here in San Diego!

Now L.A. sucks, worst traffic anywhere, and I went to the Collisium to see a preseason game of the Raiders vs. the Cowboys while out there and the seats suck, with a track around the field, you feal so far away, and the seats just go out, not up, the higher up you are seated, the farther away you are from the game.

The NFL wants 2 teams in Los Angeles yet no one in LA wants as much as one team. Interesting

Exactly. I've been living in California for 27 years, and with the exception of Raiders fans, people are pretty blase' about their teams.

Archived