Are the Jets about to get VD?

PeterNorth09

VD as in Vernon Davis. The guy is a tight end yet he is faster than 99% of the wr's in the draft. Draft Davis, start him at WR opposite Coles, start Baker at TE and create all kinds of match-up problems for opposing secondaries.

Davis played a lot of WR in college and has the speed and experience necessary for it. For the first time in God knows how long the Jets will be able to spread the field on offense, creating lots of space for our running backs to run in. I could really see Patrick Ramsey throwing around 25 touchdowns next season if this happens.

Teams are going to be forced to double Davis. No LB is fast enough to cover him and any defensive back trying to cover him one on one would be killed.

258416.jpg

IF VD Stands for Veron Davis then the JETS What that STD Trust me ,and the only people out there that will be chuckling will be us when is in the end zone for 10 TD's as a rookie a.k.a rookie of the year. :cheers:

VD is a STD!! :lol:

Maybe I'm just a cynical Jets fan but I remember hearing all the same superlatives about a tight end named Johnnie Mitchell

I also remember hearing those same comments about Mitchell. But Mitchell was lacking it above the shoulders.

About the whole Johnny Mitchell thing, we have to eventually put the past behind us. Just because we drafted some bust tight ends in the past doesn't mean any tight end we go with now will be a bust.

If we took Heath Miller in the first round of last year's draft alot of people would have said "there the Jets go again, drafting another bust tight end". Miller was certainly not a bust in his rookie year, he didn't light up the stat boards but the Steelers are a run-focused team and he did a good job blocking, caught touchdowns and caught a key touchdown against the Colts in the playoffs. That touchdown Miller got probably turned the entire playoffs around from being a coronation for Indy. That play really shifted the momentum.

sometimes its not the players that are bust but the teams that take them are make them busts...

we had Mark Bavaro as a TE coach and Kyle Brady still tripped over himself...

with all the holes this team has to pick a TE at #4 is not worth it

At # 4 it should go like this:

D'Brick

Mario

If they are both gone slide down a few spots and take VD. He looks good, he is fast. But I am not taking him at 4. No way. The guy is 6'3" so unless they are never going to ask him to block there are going to be issues there.

sometimes its not the players that are bust but the teams that take them are make them busts...

we had Mark Bavaro as a TE coach and Kyle Brady still tripped over himself...

with all the holes this team has to pick a TE at #4 is not worth it

Like I said before a player like Davis is so versatile he can play H-back or WR too. There wouldn't be any blocking issues there at all. The receivers we have on this team outside of Coles and Baker, who themselves are just ok, is absolutely putrid. I can't believe some of you guys think Patrick Ramsey can have any success when he has no one who can get open.

Kyle Brady is a stiff. Comparing him to Vernon Davis is like comparing Tim Couch to Peyton Manning.

Like I said before a player like Davis is so versatile he can play H-back or WR too. There wouldn't be any blocking issues there at all. The receivers we have on this team outside of Coles and Baker, who themselves are just ok, is absolutely putrid. I can't believe some of you guys think Patrick Ramsey can have any success when he has no one who can get open.

Kyle Brady is a stiff. Comparing him to Vernon Davis is like comparing Tim Couch to Peyton Manning.

but when brady came out of collge to see the size of him you had to think that he would be a poweful blocker and break tackles after the catch

I have a gut feeling we will take him if Mario is off the board.I wouldn't be against this move either,although i'm sure the rest of the league will chuckle at us...more so.

if mario is off the board and brick is still there, then they will take brick, not VD.

I have a gut feeling we will take him if Mario is off the board.I wouldn't be against this move either,although i'm sure the rest of the league will chuckle at us...more so.

Mario will be off the board by our pick, no doubt about it.

if mario is off the board and brick is still there, then they will take brick, not VD.

Since we've patched up our holes in free agency i reckon we could be looking to draft best player available over need.From everything i've read Davis looks like he will be a better player than D'Brick.

About the whole Johnny Mitchell thing, we have to eventually put the past behind us. Just because we drafted some bust tight ends in the past doesn't mean any tight end we go with now will be a bust.

Yet you can bring up D'Brick without discussing Robert Gallery and Mike Williams. I've got no problem trading down to the 7-10 area and thinking about Davis,but I'm not interested in a TE at 4 when we're guaranteed one of the four of Leinart,Bush,Williams,Ferguson.

I think Cotchery will be better than you think once he receives someplaying time.

Yet you can bring up D'Brick without discussing Robert Gallery and Mike Williams. I've got no problem trading down to the 7-10 area and thinking about Davis,but I'm not interested in a TE at 4 when we're guaranteed one of the four of Leinart,Bush,Williams,Ferguson.

The reason why I'm against drafting Ferguson is because his position, Offensive Tackle, is the most stocked with talent in the draft. Tight End is stocked with talent too but none of those guys can play WR like Vernon Davis.

I bring up Robert Gallery not only because he's a bust but also because Al Davis passed over some pretty special skill position players to draft him at #2 overall. Even if Gallery wasn't a bust I think the Raiders still would much rather have Ben Roethlisberger or Larry Fitzgerald.

It is actually quite easy to find quality offensive linemen after Round 1. Kevin Mawae was a 2nd Round pick. Kareem Mackenzie was 3rd Round. Jason Fabini was 4th Round. Parcells drafted other good linemen after Round 1.

By the way, Davis is projected to go to the Niners at 6 so I don't see why he is such a reach at 4.

D'Brick

Mario

If they are both gone slide down a few spots and take VD. He looks good, he is fast. But I am not taking him at 4. No way. The guy is 6'3" so unless they are never going to ask him to block there are going to be issues there.

Right on. Alot of times the TE has to block well or your run game becomes very limited and play-action passes are not effective enough. We Steeler fans have a saying. TE stands for Tackle Eligible too!

what are the chances of grabbing bush AND getting VD?

POTW NOM. That one HAS to win. Just has to.

DK, if you grab bush you won't get VD. If you acquire Bush through other means, then yes VD might be a possibility!

D'Brick

Mario

Well according to ESPN, it might be Williams going to the Texans at #1. Houston does not want to pay Reggie what the 49ers paid Alex Smith last year at #1 and Reggie expects more from a team that is not willing to spend money on their #1 draft pick.

That could change the JETS whole insight on the deal. They could then deal both #1's in a trade with New Orleans & get Reggie at #2.

Still, does Tannenbaum want to spend that much money on a franchise Rb?

Or will the Titans deal for #2 - which I do not see. Especially since it's going to be difficult enought just to find cap room to sign Leinert at #3!

Draft day can not come fast enough...

Well according to ESPN, it might be Williams going to the Texans at #1. Houston does not want to pay Reggie what the 49ers paid Alex Smith last year at #1 and Reggie expects more from a team that is not willing to spend money on their #1 draft pick.

That could change the JETS whole insight on the deal. They could then deal both #1's in a trade with New Orleans & get Reggie at #2.

Still, does Tannenbaum want to spend that much money on a franchise Rb?

Or will the Titans deal for #2 - which I do not see. Especially since it's going to be difficult enought just to find cap room to sign Leinert at #3!

Draft day can not come fast enough...

I like Bush, the running back, not the president, but I don't think it would be the right move trading both the #4 and #29 picks for him.

We certainly need a running back and with Houston now injured from that car accident that is an undeniable fact. However, we could get Lendale White or Lawrence Maroney at #29 or Joe Addai at #35.

I like Bush, the running back, not the president, but I don't think it would be the right move trading both the #4 and #29 picks for him.

We certainly need a running back and with Houston now injured from that car accident that is an undeniable fact. However, we could get Lendale White or Lawrence Maroney at #29 or Joe Addai at #35.

Now there's something we can agree on. As much as I like Reggie Bush,I'm really not comfortable giving up 2 first rounders in a draft this deep for one guy.

I don't think it matters though cause the Texans are just trying to use Williams to get someone to trade up...and I really don't think anyone is buying it.

Archived