ESPN some Baseball rumours

faba

WHAT THE SKINNY

Tim Wakefield

Red Sox Extension Mar. 31 - Tim Wakefield, who has been with the Red Sox longer than any current player, will have to wait for a contract extension, the Boston Globe reports. Discussions about an extension for Wakefield quietly took place this spring between GM Theo Epstein and the pitcher's agent, Barry Meister.

Wakefield is in the final year of a three-year, $13.02 million deal that calls for him to be paid $4.67 million this season. The knuckleballer would not talk about his discussions with the club, but in the past, while indicating a preference to end his career in Boston, he has made it clear he would not look for a major bump in salary.

The Sox only offered Wakefield a one-year deal with a mutual option. Wakefield would have been paid at one price if the Sox exercised their option, and at a lesser figure if they declined the club option and Wakefield accepted a player option. If both parties declined, Wakefield would have been a free agent. That was not acceptable to Wakefield, and the expectation is that the sides will talk after the season.

"I don't have any comment on negotiations," said Meister. "I don't do my business in public."

WHO INTERESTED THE SKINNY

Octavio Dotel

A's Cubs Mar. 31 - According to ESPN's Jayson Stark, Oakland GM Billy Beane continues to tell people that, no matter how impressive Huston Street has been this spring, he's not ready to move Octavio Dotel

Hey, I've been meaning to ask why the hell the Tigers released Alex Sanchex?

Couldn't field a ball in CF to save his life. (Led majors as a CF with 9 errors)

Was a mental case and it was affecting his baserunning/decision making on the bags.

NEVER walked. High K rate.

Couldn't Field. (Did I mention that)

Archived