mistakes, or strategy?

sirlancemehlot

So we're scratching our heads over the last two reaches. I think they were lousy, but were they necessarily mistakes? This FO has been a step or two ahead of us fans since stepping into their positions so I wonder if these picks weren't purposely tossed to "cheaper" players on purpose. Trading for that #2 next year set my wheels turning. If they truly did take that pick as brady quinn tradebait, how can they possibly afford him considering all the high picks they have to sign this year? This team is being re-built and I can only assume this plan is intended to take a few seasons. So, Quinn or not, it makes some sense to keep contracts managable now, and prepare for the next draft, and possibly the one after, by taking the guys you really want, then throwing the dice on some "character guys" with small price tags. Manage the draft, and the cap all at once and do so over a span of seasons instead of a single draft. It makes sense to me. But then I may be making excuses for this FO because I liked their first three picks so much. Of course, most teams only have to sign three picks on day one, and we have to sign five. Better two of them will come cheap, no?

So we're scratching our heads over the last two reaches. I think they were lousy, but were they necessarily mistakes? This FO has been a step or two ahead of us fans since stepping into their positions so I wonder if these picks weren't purposely tossed to "cheaper" players on purpose. Trading for that #2 next year set my wheels turning. If they truly did take that pick as brady quinn tradebait, how can they possibly afford him considering all the high picks they have to sign this year? This team is being re-built and I can only assume this plan is intended to take a few seasons. So, Quinn or not, it makes some sense to keep contracts managable now, and prepare for the next draft, and possibly the one after, by taking the guys you really want, then throwing the dice on some "character guys" with small price tags. Manage the draft, and the cap all at once and do so over a span of seasons instead of a single draft. It makes sense to me. But then I may be making excuses for this FO because I liked their first three picks so much. Of course, most teams only have to sign three picks on day one, and we have to sign five. Better two of them will come cheap, no?

The last 2 picks were crap.

keep bolly and cut noodle arm after june 1st. that will free up future cap money. then, they can look to get rid of robertson. there's a wide body from kentucky who will be available in the fourth round at dt. he won't cost 2 number 1's and a 4th plus a ton of cap money! thank god dumbway no longer calls the shots.

If we can get Gabe Watson and/or Max Jean Gilles in the 4th rd then it is all good. But I was dissapointed with our 3rd rd picks. Schlegel was a reach and Smith came out of right field.

I would rather have had D'Brick (starting LT) at #4, Mangold (starting Center) at #29, Justice (starting RT) at our original #35, Pope (starting TE) at our original #71, and Jean-Gilles (starting Guard) at #97

Slot in there Kendall, and you've rebuilt the entire starting O-line, including a 6"7 TE who can catch, in one draft.

I would rather have had D'Brick (starting LT) at #4, Mangold (starting Center) at #29, Justice (starting RT) at our original #35, Pope (starting TE) at our original #71, and Jean-Gilles (starting Guard) at #97

Slot in there Kendall, and you've rebuilt the entire starting O-line, including a 6"7 TE who can catch, in one draft.

Justice isnt a Mangini player, and after those comments he made about Brick, I wouldnt see Justice and Brick working toegether.

Jean Gilles I would have loved to grab, and I would have liked Pope (or Byrd) in the 3rd rd over guys like Schlegel and Smith, but the rest of the NFL also passed on Jean Gilles, so maybe just maybe they know something we dont.

Justice isnt a Mangini player, and after those comments he made about Brick, I wouldnt see Justice and Brick working toegether.

Jean Gilles I would have loved to grab, and I would have liked Pope (or Byrd) in the 3rd rd over guys like Schlegel and Smith, but the rest of the NFL also passed on Jean Gilles, so maybe just maybe they know something we dont.

No offense, but maybe those other teams also screwed up by passing on them, like many teams do each year.

I just think nowadays that teams "over analyze" players physical attributes instead of just evaluating the tape and picking the guys who perform best on Saturday afternoons.

Pick the best football players, not the best physical specimens.

I think we'd all love to have the players some have mentioned. But those players come at a price. If the league were uncapped, I'd be screaming bloody murder along with most of you, but if the reaches were taken with thrift in mind, then the strategy is far less less flawed than it would seem on the surface.

I think we'd all love to have the players some have mentioned. But those players come at a price. If the league were uncapped, I'd be screaming bloody murder along with most of you, but if the reaches were taken with thrift in mind, then the strategy is far less less flawed than it would seem on the surface.

wait a minute

i dont get it. if a guy gets drafted #50, he gets #50 money.????

wait a minute

i dont get it. if a guy gets drafted #50, he gets #50 money.????

not necessarily. High-profile picks get paid more, are more likely to hold out, and generally have the biggest pain in the ass agents. There is no set scale to determine exactly what #50 gets paid, versus what a #51 or 61, or 71 gets paid. Reggie bush will get a ton of money, because he's worth a ton of money even though he didn't go #1. I wouldn't be surprised to see him make as much as Mario or close to it. If we've got to pay for our last two picks based solely on the slot they were taken in, then we got beyond hosed, and my theory is blown out of the water (though it was more a suggestion of possiblity than theory).

Archived