One person's opinions: Jets Day 1

R44

Round #1: Ferguson and Mangold --- Last night in Hammer's mock draft (pinned) I projected the Jets would pick both. I have no problem at all with these picks. Barring injuries, both should be very solid players here in NY. Face it, the Jets line stunk and it had to dealt with properly --with high picks, not recycled/washed up free agents.

Round 2: At DD.com I had Leinart, Cutler and Kellen Clemens ranked in the top 3 of the senior class (Young was a junior) during the entire 2005 season....Bumped him down after the serious ankle injury, but always liked him a lot. All the Net sites that claimed Kellen has a "average arm" exposed themselves as frauds :bag:

Every time I watched him, I was like "did that little skinny bleep just throw that laser"?

What scares me about Clemens, however, is he's skinny and durability may be an issue. I've told Bitonti he reminds of Jim McMahon (minus the attitude)...

The Jets are building a line with quality, and Kellen has good feet, so he should stay in intact....Like Ron Jaworski and Merril Hodge, I liked this pick.

Round 3: Anthony Schlegel: At first I thought this was an awful pick. Really. I projected him in round 5 or 6...like that matters, right? :D

But I thought about how much I liked Lofa Tatupu in 2005, yet listened to the "insiders" who claimed Tatupu was a total scrub because he ran consecutive 4.85 40's at the Combine at 5' 11". Tatupu wound up as a Pro Bowler in his rookie year and I looked a fool, "punking him" over his 40 times.

Not saying Schlegel will make the Pro Bowl or start next season, but maybe there is more to a player/linebacker than 40 times alone, right?

Schlegel may have something like 4. 7 or 4.8 speed, but I've watched OSU a ton and he's always exceeded expections and always brought his A-GAME. Never, ever, seen him embarass himself on the field field and he plays faster than he's timed.

Eric Smith: Don't love the pick, but DEFINITELY don't hate it either.....I had Smith projected as an early 4th rounder (until Bitonti changed it LOL), based on his stellar Combine showing....He "only" ran a 4.58 40 (not real bad for his size), but was among the top safeties in just about every other drill -- Short shuttle, Broad jump, vertical, ect...

http://www.draftdaddy.com/prospects/ringTailed.cfm

He's a very worthy player, but history of injuries may be a concern.....I saw him record 19 tackles against Notre Dame in 2004 and 16 tackles (I think) against N.D in 2005 -- he's not a bad player at all...Matter of fact, his Combine showing, coupled with his career at MSU, impressed me a lot.

I recently told a realitive who lives in Lansing, Michigan and goes to MSU games, Smith would go higher than expected and was the Spartans only "real prospect" this season. Fans don't like him, but based on "insider info", I knew NFL teams liked him.

P.S: Darnell Bing ran in the mid to high 4.6's at USC's Pro Day on a fast track....Adjusting his time for USC's "fast track", scouts peg Bing as a 4.7 40 player. That may be a reason he wasn't drafted yesterday.

4. N.Y. Jets selects: D'Brickashaw Ferguson, OT, Virginia Grade

This is the worst pick of the draft so far. How can this team, with no star quarterback, pass on Matt Leinart? It's unreal. He would have been a star in New York with Eli Manning. Ferguson is overrated. He's not the next Walter Jones. D-

from CBS Sportsline

This is the worst pick of the draft so far. How can this team, with no star quarterback, pass on Matt Leinart? It's unreal. He would have been a star in New York with Eli Manning. Ferguson is overrated. He's not the next Walter Jones. D-

from CBS Sportsline

Not sure why you need a "star" quarterback unless marketing is the primary concern.

from CBS Sportsline

This guy is a moron. D'Brick was the only pick that made sense there.

Arizona always kicks a$$ on draft day, according to the paid pundits....:Typotux:

When these players get on the football field, it's always another story....:Nuts:

Leinart better hope they find some lineman.....also, having written for a site that covered the AFC South for a while, I can tell you most Colts fans felt in 2004 and 2005 that Edgerrin James was playing on "borrowed time"....

He's had a couple major ACL injuries and is pushing 30 years old -- which is young for a QB or relief pitcher, but downright old for an NFL RB with scarred knees.

Round #1: Ferguson and Mangold --- Last night in Hammer's mock draft (pinned) I projected the Jets would pick both. I have no problem at all with these picks. Barring injuries, both should be very solid players here in NY. Face it, the Jets line stunk and it had to dealt with properly --with high picks, not recycled/washed up free agents.

Round 2: At DD.com I had Leinart, Cutler and Kellen Clemens ranked in the top 3 of the senior class (Young was a junior) during the entire 2005 season....Bumped him down after the serious ankle injury, but always liked him a lot. All the Net sites that claimed Kellen has a "average arm" exposed themselves as frauds :bag:

Every time I watched him, I was like "did that little skinny bleep just throw that laser"?

What scares me about Clemens, however, is he's skinny and durability may be an issue. I've told Bitonti he reminds of Jim McMahon (minus the attitude)...

The Jets are building a line with quality, and Kellen has good feet, so he should stay in intact....Like Ron Jaworski and Merril Hodge, I liked this pick.

Round 3: Anthony Schlegel: At first I thought this was an awful pick. Really. I projected him in round 5 or 6...like that matters, right? :D

But I thought about how much I liked Lofa Tatupu in 2005, yet listened to the "insiders" who claimed Tatupu was a total scrub because he ran consecutive 4.85 40's at the Combine at 5' 11". Tatupu wound up as a Pro Bowler in his rookie year and I looked a fool, "punking him" over his 40 times.

Not saying Schlegel will make the Pro Bowl or start next season, but maybe there is more to a player/linebacker than 40 times alone, right?

Schlegel may have something like 4. 7 or 4.8 speed, but I've watched OSU a ton and he's always exceeded expections and always brought his A-GAME. Never, ever, seen him embarass himself on the field field and he plays faster than he's timed.

Eric Smith: Don't love the pick, but DEFINITELY don't hate it either.....I had Smith projected as an early 4th rounder (until Bitonti changed it LOL), based on his stellar Combine showing....He "only" ran a 4.58 40 (not real bad for his size), but was among the top safeties in just about every other drill -- Short shuttle, Broad jump, vertical, ect...

http://www.draftdaddy.com/prospects/ringTailed.cfm

He's a very worthy player, but history of injuries may be a concern.....I saw him record 19 tackles against Notre Dame in 2004 and 16 tackles (I think) against N.D in 2005 -- he's not a bad player at all...Matter of fact, his Combine showing, coupled with his career at MSU, impressed me a lot.

I recently told a realitive who lives in Lansing, Michigan and goes to MSU games, Smith would go higher than expected and was the Spartans only "real prospect" this season. Fans don't like him, but based on "insider info", I knew NFL teams liked him.

P.S: Darnell Bing ran in the mid to high 4.6's at USC's Pro Day on a fast track....Adjusting his time for USC's "fast track", scouts peg Bing as a 4.7 40 player. That may be a reason he wasn't drafted yesterday.

Good post R44. I was in love with The Jets draft until The 3rd round. They did everything right from a football standpoint in my opinion.

The most impressive move was getting a 2nd rounder in 07, That was a great move by The Jets.

I didn't like their third round picks. Schlegel and Smith to me were not 3rd round players.

The Jets do not have an in the box type safety and Smith may be able to take that role but because of injury concerns and other factors, I didn't see him as a 3rd round prospect.... Schlegel to me is a hard nosed and smart inside linebacker but he's so limited physically and to me, Inside linebacker with The Jets was not a pressing need. If these guys were taken in rounds 5 through 7, maybe I sing a different tune.

With players like D'Brick, Mangold and Clemens. They are the perfect marriage of talent and character and they went exactly where they should go in the draft. I am all for sticking with the formula and going after certain kinds of players but to me, The Jets 3rd rounders were reaches.

YJF, I don't disagree with you outright, because you make some great points.....Matter of fact, I sort felt Smith was a 4th rounder and Schlegel was probably a 5th rounder. But 2 things must be considered, I think:

1) I don't follow the NBA much, but I remember in the 1990's NBA superscout Marty Blake always used to say this: Teams shouldn't care where others project players....If teams like players enough, just take them and don't look back.

2) I've spoken to so many family members of players and can tell you agents run their mouths like a bunch of gossipy women on draft day :gfight:

I would bet the Jets had solid info that neither Schlegel or Smith would not be available if they waited to draft them with their next pick.

Matter of fact, I'll guarentee you the Jets traded up for Clemens, because some agent told them another team was set to pick him soon (Vikings?).

Only time will tell if the Jets made right moves, or wasted round 3?

YJF, I don't disagree with you outright, because you make some great points.....Matter of fact, I sort felt Smith was a 4th rounder and Schlegel was probably a 5th rounder. But 2 things must be considered, I think:

1) I don't follow the NBA much, but I remember in the 1990's NBA superscout Marty Blake always used to say this: Teams shouldn't care where others project players....If teams like players enough, just take them and don't look back.

2) I've spoken to so many family members of players and can tell you agents run their mouths like a bunch of gossipy women on draft day :gfight:

I would bet the Jets had solid info that neither Schlegel or Smith would not be available if they waited to draft them with their next pick.

Matter of fact, I'll guarentee you the Jets traded up for Clemens, because some agent told them another team was set to pick him soon (Vikings?).

Only time will tell if the Jets made right moves, or wasted round 3?

You make some good points as usual.

I am not in the Jets war room or scouting department and I certainly was not apart of their meetings. I don't know how all these players graded for The Jets. These players obviously were perfect fits for what Mangini wants, otherwise, They would not have taken them. The Jets are not just throwing darts on a board or just making up their minds in mid stream. I realize that. They have a set plan.

I think that The Jets wanted middle linebacker Abdul Hodge at 71. I don't have inside info on that. Green Bay took a Kirk Ferentz player at 67 before The Jets could have a crack at him.

Personally, I would have taken Jon Alston over Schlegel. Just my personal preference. I also liked Anthony Smith from syracuse, although he's not an in the box type safety. I loved The Jason Hatcher pick by Dallas. I would have taken him over Schlegel as well. Just my personal opinion.

I'm looking forward to seeing who The Jets pick later today. I'm one of the guys who stated that they would be scouting players differently and that they would be looking for players who fit a specific and systematic criteria and that The Jets would target players who on paper would not seem like sexy picks. So maybe, I should have more understanding of The Jets two 3rd round selections. I hope that I am proven wrong.

I LOVED the Jets first 3 picks and you had it right. Most "experts" had Clemens arm strength all wrong. It's ironic that Tannenbaum's mentor (Parcells) helped him land our new Quarterback with that 2nd round trade.

YJF, great points.....quick response, because I'm gonna log off soon.

I definitely had Alston waaay ahead of Schlegel, but I've watched a lot of Stanford and he's a weird prospect, who may not fit in the 3-4 defense (well suited for the Colts, who love speed)....

Alston is probably like 6' and 215 pounds (mid-season playing weight in college) and played the vast majority of the time rushing the QB from the defensive end spot -- designated blitzer?

His talent is tantalizing, but how can he play linebacker at his weight in the NFL?

Dropping back into coverage will be a grind, because he rarely had to do that as an edge-rusher.

Point?

He'll be a hit or miss prospect, because he'll either have to gain weight to play LB or learn to play safety...

Hatcher, I think is a DE/DT, meaning he could've been a good 3-4 DE, so that's a good point....Still a little surprised he went that high -- as I was with Schlegel.

Anthony Smith is lucky to be drafted so high, after he ran over a 4.7 40 at the Combine.....

He was great player for the Cuse, but he makes Eric Smith look like Jason Sehorn speedwise.

Archived