Some things we learned early on about our new leadership

Scott Dierking

They will not get enamored with a big name (Bush) and feel they have to overpay in order to secure that names (ala Robertson). They will allow the draft to come to them, rather than chasing and feeling for must haves.

The Jets are officially networked in the NFL, for one of the few times in their history. Teams came to the Jets when they wanted to make deals and see the Jets as players in the market. It is important to be thought of as a player in the market. The Jets were also comfortable enough with their board to move down, and still get what they wanted.

Conversely, as well, the Jets saw a player they wanted (Clemmons) and made a strong move for him. They saw the Vikings sitting there waiting for him, and they reacted.

The Jets are seriously looking for players that fit their image. You have to believe that is what round 3 was about. They are not only looking for the base foundation, they are looking for supporting characters that fit their traits of character and team.

Those are some of the initial things that I take out. How it all works out, of course, is the fun now.

Scott last night when I left the board the screaming had already started

about Manginni and the poor selections in the third round.

I was going to come on the board and say something about that

but you beat me to it.

What is not realized that Mangini is a discipile of the NE draft system

that takes players that no one else would rate highly and mold

them into their way of playing football.

Also when you get into the 3rd and 4th round the negatives and

positives in the bio tend to even out. If they were that good they

would be in the first round.

Someone yesterday criticized mangini because Clemens scouting report

didn't look too good. Hopefully he doesn't give up his day job to

become a GM. Most experts had this guy in the top 5.

As you get into the later rounds of the draft the bios become more

iffy and you wonder if these guys could ever make it in the NFL.

And if there are complaints about Manginni's 3rd round picks,

I shudder to think what's going to happen on here today with the remaining

four picks.

Scott last night when I left the board the screaming had already started

about Manginni and the poor selections in the third round.

I was going to come on the board and say something about that

but you beat me to it.

What is not realized that Mangini is a disciple of the NE draft system

that takes players that no one else would rate highly and mold

them into their way of playing football.

Also when you get into the 3rd and 4th round the negatives and

positives in the bio tend to even out. If they were that good they

would be in the first round.

Someone yesterday criticized mangini because Clemens scouting report

didn't look too good. Hopefully he doesn't give up his day job to

become a GM. Most experts had this guy in the top 5.

As you get into the later rounds of the draft the bios become more

iffy and you wonder if these guys could ever make it in the NFL.

And if there are complaints about Manginni's 3rd round picks,

I shudder to think what's going to happen on here today with the remaining

four picks.

Senior you know that many on the Boards fancy themselves as Draft Guru's whose wisdom should be unquestioned...I just can't figure why none of them are employed by a Pro Team by now?? Maybe because it's just easier to criticize and take shots at people who HAVE a plan and want THEIR type of players to play in it!!:eek:

They will not get enamored with a big name (Bush)

Deirk - I couldn't be more pleased with how we fared in round one but I'm more excited about a credible future with the current management. The only piece of the puzzle that doesn't fit comfortably is the talk bantered around yesterday through the media (not here - on this board, we were going to give all our picks for the next 7 years and the Empire State Building) that T&M were actually full speed ahead in talks with New Orleans on giving up a load of picks for Bush. The stopper was N.O. saying they were going to keep the pick and take him.

What do you (or anybody) think was really offered by T&M and how far do you think we pursued that?

That aside - it's nice to not envision a Marx Brothers movie being played out by the Jets FO.

Did you guy's see the profiles on Schlegel and Smith?

Both guys have high IQ's- one transfered from Air Force, the other turned down Yale (no football scholarship).

Schlegel- get this- hunts boar with a knife.

Mangini is targeting smart guys that can understand his system(s).

Can they play on this level? We'll see.

But he's definitely got a plan; a method to his madness.

Both guys have high IQ's- one transfered from Air Force, the other turned down Yale (no football scholarship).

Yeah But Bit goes Bowling with knives sticking out of his Ball..Really tears up the lanes to bad it don't work on the Football field!!:D

Both of these guys were productive hard working players in college- they went higher in the draft than all the so called experts believed they should but they fit the type of player Mangini and Co want to bring in- only time will tell if they were right

Both of these guys were productive hard working players in college- they went higher in the draft than all the so called experts believed they should but they fit the type of player Mangini and Co want to bring in- only time will tell if they were right

The reasoning here is solid, but the question remains: if these guys could have still been ours with much later picks, then why didn't we take true third rounders, and spend fourth and fifth picks on them? It's a curious move to say the least.

The reasoning here is solid, but the question remains: if these guys could have still been ours with much later picks, then why didn't we take true third rounders, and spend fourth and fifth picks on them? It's a curious move to say the least.

The easiest answer I can give is results on the field these guys showed and character were viewed more highly than combine results and pure physical skills - time will tell if they were right

Well... look at all the "reaches" that have been taken, so far, in the draft. It's totally possible that someone else would have taken them in the third (save for Smith, but he could have been taken before the Jets picked today).

It seems to me (and this isn't directed at you, sirlancemehlot) that alot of fans on this board are enamored with names. And, the Jets passed on name prospects, so it's all doom and gloom. Let's face facts kids, we don't know as much about football as the guys who are running the teams do. We like to think we do, but we don't. And, each time people bitch about draft picks who havent' played a single down of pro ball, it shows how ignorant you really are. Yeah, you can bitch up a storm after game one. Then, it's justified, but how you can bitch now... it's beyond me. It's perceived value. Besides, if the Jets draft "name" players with their first two fourth round picks, you guys will be back on the jocks of Mike Tannenbaum and Eric Mangini.

Well... look at all the "reaches" that have been taken, so far, in the draft. It's totally possible that someone else would have taken them in the third (save for Smith, but he could have been taken before the Jets picked today).

It seems to me (and this isn't directed at you, sirlancemehlot) that alot of fans on this board are enamored with names. And, the Jets passed on name prospects, so it's all doom and gloom. Let's face facts kids, we don't know as much about football as the guys who are running the teams do. We like to think we do, but we don't. And, each time people bitch about draft picks who havent' played a single down of pro ball, it shows how ignorant you really are. Yeah, you can bitch up a storm after game one. Then, it's justified, but how you can bitch now... it's beyond me. It's perceived value. Besides, if the Jets draft "name" players with their first two fourth round picks, you guys will be back on the jocks of Mike Tannenbaum and Eric Mangini.

Here, here.

What's wrong with your Red Wings?

Here, here.

What's wrong with your Red Wings?

I wish I had an answer. It seems only Henrik Zetterberg decided to show up. I think the rest of the team forgot about the playoffs. If you find Brendan Shanahan and Mikel Samuelsson, tell them that they're due in Edmonton tomorrow night.

Zetterberg is the kind of talent that makes fans crazy and gets coaches fired. Game 1 doesn't go to OT if he played just a bit nmore to the net.

Zetterberg is the only Wing to have shown up. He's got 5 goals. His linemates are the awesome ghosts Tomas Holmstrom and Mikel Samuelsson. And, poor Pavel Datsuyk. He's saddled with deadweight Brendan Shanahan and Kris Draper. I'm just glad Robert Lang decided to show up. The Wings have been playing soft in front of their own net. Andres Lilja sucks. What Bab**** needs to do is get Datsyuk away from that black hole of talent, Shanahan, and Kris Draper, and put him with someone who can do something other than nothing.

The Jets are seriously looking for players that fit their image. You have to believe that is what round 3 was about. They are not only looking for the base foundation, they are looking for supporting characters that fit their traits of character and team.

agree,, smart, hit a single on every play cause they are in position and know thier role,,

will they hit homers,, probably not,, but they wont whiff on a play cause they are dumb,, all 11 players hittin a single means the play is a success,,,the NE system,,it works

Very very very good post. Accurate to a "T".

I may think Mangini has a bit of the Parcells/Bellichek "I know more than you all do" syndrome, but it certainly appears that Mangini and Tanny were looking for "Pats Style" Smart/Tough/Motor type players most other teams pass on for names and combine numbers.

Proof will be in the pudding, but as I've posted repeatedly, we have to let Mangini build HIS team HIS way. Only when we see the team on the field, in games, can we judge it with any real validity.

Deirk - I couldn't be more pleased with how we fared in round one but I'm more excited about a credible future with the current management. The only piece of the puzzle that doesn't fit comfortably is the talk bantered around yesterday through the media (not here - on this board, we were going to give all our picks for the next 7 years and the Empire State Building) that T&M were actually full speed ahead in talks with New Orleans on giving up a load of picks for Bush. The stopper was N.O. saying they were going to keep the pick and take him.

What do you (or anybody) think was really offered by T&M and how far do you think we pursued that?

That aside - it's nice to not envision a Marx Brothers movie being played out by the Jets FO.

I don't believe the Jets offered more than our two 1st's and MAYBE a 4th.I think it was probably #4 and #29 for the Saints #2.The Jets management correctly decided that to move up only two spots that giving up any more than that wasn't getting fair value.Bush is good,but not worth more than those two selections.

Archived