3 76 Schlegel, Anthony ILB 6-0 251 Ohio State

3 97 Smith, Eric SS 6-1 209 Michigan State

4 103 Smith, Brad WR 6-2 212 Missouri

4 117 Washington, Leon RB 5-8 202 Florida State

5 150 Pociask, Jason TE 6-3 267 Wisconsin

6 189 Coleman, Drew CB 5-8 173 Texas Christian

7 220 Adams, Titus DT 6-3 305 Nebraska

I love the picks of Ferg, Mangold, and Washington

The rest....cant say Ive seen enough of em to make a fair statement. I would have liked Gabe Watson and Gilles but Ill live with the picks and well know in a couple of seasons if this was a good draft or not.

Coleman was not TCU's #1 punt returner.

He did return 5 punts and 2 KO's last season.

Thanks. I don't know much about him. I was just thinking that with his size, he needs to stand out doing something in order to make the team.

My Jet Draft Analysis:

The Good:

1. Jets did a nice job rebuilding the OL with the first two picks.

2. Tannebaum did a great job getting a 2nd round pick from Washington next year and still got Clemens ahead of Minnesota.

3. Took a good risk in drafting Clemens who could turn into a good QB in time.

4. Draft yielded two starters (Fergusin & Mangold) and maybe a third in Clemens.

The Bad:

1. They totally butchered the draft from Round 3 on. It almost seemed like Bradway took over the picking after the 2nd round.

2. Got very little value for the picks after the first three. Picking high each round returned low value. The two 3rd rounders could have been picked in the 6th or 7th rounds. The TE probably wouldn't have even been drafted. Pick 3b was even surprised he went on Day 1.

3. Did nothing to address the NT/DT problem on the team.

4. Took a college player in 4th round that will play a different position in the Pros. A plan that has proven to have a very low success rate in the NFL. Guess they haven't learned from guys like Frost.

5. Questionable picks in Rounds 3-7 probably set back our return to winning by another year.

Overall Grade: B

Rounds 1-2 - A

Rounds 3-7 - F

N.Y. Jets

Rd Sel# Player Pos. Ht. Wt. School

1 4 Ferguson, D'Brickashaw OT 6-6 313 Virginia

1 29 Mangold, Nick C 6-4 299 Ohio State

2 49 Clemens, Kellen QB 6-2 223 Oregon

3 76 Schlegel, Anthony ILB 6-0 251 Ohio State

3 97 Smith, Eric SS 6-1 209 Michigan State

4 103 Smith, Brad WR 6-2 212 Missouri

4 117 Washington, Leon RB 5-8 202 Florida State

5 150 Pociask, Jason TE 6-3 267 Wisconsin

6 189 Coleman, Drew CB 5-8 173 Texas Christian

7 220 Adams, Titus DT 6-3 305 Nebraska

From these my favorites are:

1. D'Brickashaw Ferguson

2. Nick Mangold

3. Kellen Clemens

4. Leon Washington

5. Titus Adams

Why Titus Adams you ask? Look at his first name. Gotta love a big guy named TIT-US Adams.:cheers:

All in all a good draft I'd give it a B from what we know now because I'm not so sure on Smith or Pociask. Smith a work in project and Coleman is just some CB depth but hey maybe a future Big Play Ray Mickens?

• 2 years later...

haha check out his assesments of the 2006 draft in a thread that he made (didn't want to bump it)

Best Drafts:

New England. They completely revamped the O. Maroney, Chad Jackson, Garrett Mills I like all of those guys. The steal was Ryan O'Callaghan in Round 5. That guy is a big, monstrous beast who will be a huge RG for them. Their running game is going to be sick. Dave Thomas was a wierd pick but I'll give them the benefit.

Niners. They got the best receiver in the draft, Davis, and Manny Lawson is going to be a very good defensive player for them. Vernon Davis will actually make Alex Smith not look like a total bust.

Philly. Brodrick Bunkley AND Winston Justice? Are you kidding me? That is just damn solid. The second best DT and OT in the draft. Who knows, Bunkley and Justice may end up being the best players at their positions. They have the talent to do that.

Houston. At first I didn't like Mario Williams at 1. However, they already have Domanick so they didn't need Bush. They addressed the O-line by drafting Charles Spencer and Eric Winston.

Worst Drafts:

Buffalo. Donte Whitner at 8? You gotta be kidding me. McCargo in Round 1? I know Gabe Watson fell but I still like him a lot better than McCargo. I think Buffalo is purposely trying to get worse so they can bomb their attendance and move to LA.

Detroit. Anything they do is bad. Just have to assume so.

Bottom Line, teams that waited to address the O-line in later rounds got rewarded very nicely.

lol

So the Jets drafted 2 good linemen in round 1. After that, the draft sucks with the exception of Leon. Brad Smith is ok for special teams & gadget plays, but I don't know that you burn a high 4th rounder in a draft like that on a guy who plays so little on offense (or defense).

Clemens = sucks

Schlegel = sucks

E.Smith = sucks

B.Smith = sucks as a WR (which is what he was drafted to be). Good on ST's and gadget plays. If he was one of the low points of the draft instead of one of its high points, then you're more generous with production like his has been.

Leon = great

Pociask = sucks

Coleman = sucks

Adams = sucks

I thought there were a lot of reaches when this draft was over and again a year later. I was a "hater" for that at the time.

After round 1, where you're expected to get someone good (particularly when an interior lineman like Mangold is ranked & drafted that high), everyone with the exception of Leon was a reach. And it shows with their production on the field.

it was obvious that Peter North was wrong once again haha... great picks w/ Washington DBrick Mangold and Brad Smith

Not when the wide receiver we could have and probably should have taken was Brandon Marshal. You know, a guy that actually played the position before.

it was obvious that Peter North was wrong once again haha... great picks w/ Washington DBrick Mangold and Brad Smith

D'Brick was a good pick, not a great one.

Brad Smith was hardly a great pick. He would need be a solid starter at a minimum & more likely tearing up the league to be called "great" pick. He's neither. Brandon Marshall, taken later in that round, was a great pick (baggage and all).

The only "great" picks were Mangold (total no-brainer after we released Mawae) and Leon.

The "great" move was gaining a 2007 2nd-rounder for dropping down in round 2 in 2006. Particularly if we were going to grab Clemens in the top of the round anyway.

So the Jets drafted 2 good linemen in round 1. After that, the draft sucks with the exception of Leon. Brad Smith is ok for special teams & gadget plays, but I don't know that you burn a high 4th rounder in a draft like that on a guy who plays so little on offense (or defense).

Clemens = sucks

Schlegel = sucks

E.Smith = sucks

B.Smith = sucks as a WR (which is what he was drafted to be). Good on ST's and gadget plays. If he was one of the low points of the draft instead of one of its high points, then you're more generous with production like his has been.

Leon = great

Pociask = sucks

Coleman = sucks

Adams = sucks

I thought there were a lot of reaches when this draft was over and again a year later. I was a "hater" for that at the time.

After round 1, where you're expected to get someone good (particularly when an interior lineman like Mangold is ranked & drafted that high), everyone with the exception of Leon was a reach. And it shows with their production on the field.

Disagree with you about there being many "reaches". IMO any picks from round 5-7 are never reaches. These picks most likely don't make the team or are 3rd stringers or special teamers. So I don't consider anyone a reach there. 4th rounders to me are borderline picks, that is you expect them to make the team at least as a backup and special teamer, which is exactly what B Smith is. 3 rounders and up you expect to eventually start. So in this draft I would say Schlegal was the only reach and possibly E Smith. I don't consider Clemmens a reach, because as you said we got a 2nd rounder in the process of selecting him, he still could start next year, and he was selected where he was projected. Smith was starting this year until he got injured (I don't know where he was projected). I think you can say both Clemmens and Smith were bad picks, but not reaches.

All in all I thought this was a great draft just on the selections of Brick, Mangold, and Leon alone.

Archived