We gave up a 2nd round pick for McCareins

elotk

He was never a number one receiver type- with a decent complement he can be a good player- last year I am hoping was just a wash out

I think last year was one that will not be repeated. When you are a W/R to the likes of Bollinger and Vinny, behind an O.Line that gave the Q/B not 3-4 seconds, but fractions of nano-seconds to throw, you will not have any kind of decent stats.

2006, with a rebuilt O.Line, and a disciplined offense, should be a uch better year for him.

I can't really judge him too harshly. I mean we had no line and so many different QB's in here it's amazing he did as well as he did. I will say one thing negatively about him. He dropped way to many catchable balls. That has to stop. By the way I will go on record and say I was happy when we got him for a second round pick. Hopefully I won't regret that.

Let that just sink in guys.

A 2nd round pick for McCareins . . .

God im just so thankful to have a new regime, one that doesnt get taken to the woodshed.

eLOT

What really makes it sink in is we gave him a $31M contract with $7M SB. Early-mid-2nd rounders usually got 4-5 year deals worth a total of about $4M with about $1-2M of it up front. 1 year later, NYG signed Plaxico to a $25M deal with $8M SB without giving up any picks (let alone #40 in the country in what was then considered a deep draft).

Let THAT sink in.

What really makes it sink in is we gave him a $31M contract with $7M SB. Early-mid-2nd rounders usually got 4-5 year deals worth a total of about $4M with about $1-2M of it up front. 1 year later, NYG signed Plaxico to a $25M deal with $8M SB without giving up any picks (let alone #40 in the country in what was then considered a deep draft).

Let THAT sink in.

J-Mac is cut after this season if he doesnt produce.....cap hit won't be a killer and there would have to be some savings with a 31 million dollar contract. JMO

J-Mac is cut after this season if he doesnt produce.....cap hit won't be a killer and there would have to be some savings with a 31 million dollar contract. JMO

Well it won't be a killer compared to Chad. But it won't be nothing.

Aec4's page says there'd be $2.9M in dead cap if he's cut after this year. He's much more of a cap guru than I am, but I don't know how he got that #. He signed in '03 with a $7M SB on a 7-year deal. So far that would mean $2M of that bonus has come off the cap. If he plays this year, another $1M will have come off. That leaves $4M in dead cap if he's cut prior to 2007. Maybe the SB couldn't be amortized over 7 years, which means $1.167M came/comes off the cap each year ($2.33M so far; $3.5M after this year, leaving $3.5M left to come off).

Which would lead me to believe that if/when he's cut it will be because they want to use the roster spot for another player, not to save cap space (unless he's due a roster bonus before then). Cutting him won't give us much cap relief unless he's cut after 2007. So unless we have someone better it's almost worth it to keep him around as a 4th WR despite the money.

That's not a fair argument, and you know that.

We could also have Michael Boulware or Julius Jones.

that's drafting in hindsight

people are always crapping on JMcC let's be real the guy had a great 04 esepcially in the playoffs, a bad 05 - granted - but he's not without skills or potential. Overall the problem with this team isn't the WR corp... it's the QB position. A WR can only be as good as the QB that gets him the ball.

that's drafting in hindsight

people are always crapping on JMcC let's be real the guy had a great 04 esepcially in the playoffs, a bad 05 - granted - but he's not without skills or potential. Overall the problem with this team isn't the WR corp... it's the QB position. A WR can only be as good as the QB that gets him the ball.

True. But I'd disagree the guy had a great '04. McCariens also likes to give up on passes. That doesn't sit well with me.

McCariens is a decent receiever, almost a poor man's Keyshawn...possibly with a little more speed.

McCareins pick was Travis Leboy.

Bitonti, I gotta hand it to you. You sure have a way of spinning things to make it look good by your point of view. Just like the DRob fiasco, you choose only to look at the players that other teams picked in the spots we gave up, rather than look at potential players that we could have drafted in that spot.

Here's the real story of what that pick could have reasonably been:

Julius Jones-knowing we were going to lose Jordan, Jones was a feasible option.

Bob Sanders-Decent Safety who helped make IND's D much more formidable last year.

Justin Smiley-Lord knows we could of used a lineman.

Dontarius Thomas-Pretty darn good LB for MIN.

Kiewan Ratliff-Starting CB for CIN.

Devery Henderson-Has potential, could easily have been a cheaper option who may turn out just as good.

Keary Colbert-Very solid rookie season. Could have been a good 2nd year if Delhomme lost his tunnel vision to S Smith. Definately as good as McCareins and cheaper.

he dropped too many balls to count last year, the QB excuse is old and tired

People forget that McCareins was also injured last year.It was an off year for the whole team and i expect him to bounce back this season.Too many people are forgetting his play in 04,he basically won the Cleavland game by himself and put up 80 yards in both playoff games.

Granted he's not worth a 2nd rounder or the amount he's being paid,but take your frustrations out on Bradway and not McCareins,he can be a very good number 2 WR.

However i will admit that McCareins isn't a good fit opposite Coles,we've basically got two possession receivers and no burner to stretch the field.McCareins was a much better fit with Moss.

Let that just sink in guys.

A 2nd round pick for McCareins . . .

God im just so thankful to have a new regime, one that doesnt get taken to the woodshed.

You think that is bad?

What about two 1st's and a 4th for a mediocre fat load and a 2nd for a figgn' kicker.:eek:

Oh, and I almost forgot, what about a 1st for Doug Jolley.?:eek:

Man, I wish I could dig up some posts from that era.... but I suspect JI's archives have been purged like a Stalinist era newspaper.

You know.

His predicted production was outrageous.

I guess the Titans gambled on the right one to keep. Bennett 138 catches. McCareins 99.

You know.

His predicted production was outrageous.

I guess the Titans gambled on the right one to keep. Bennett 138 catches. McCareins 99.

PFSIKH, do you remember all the Jet fans predictions about Curtis Conway?:eek:

Friggn' hilarious.

You think that is bad?

What about two 1st's and a 4th for a mediocre fat load and a 2nd for a figgn' kicker.:eek:

Oh, and I almost forgot, what about a 1st for Doug Jolley.?:eek:

The Drob thing is completely different. He was a DT that every team wanted and happens to only be a servicable player. So we drafted a bust, it happens.

We didnt give up a first for Jolley.

What angers me about McCareins is that his market value is not a 2nd round pick. He simply did not prove enough to be worth that much and didnt deserve a 31 million dollar contract either.

eLOT

Bitonti, I gotta hand it to you. You sure have a way of spinning things to make it look good by your point of view. Just like the DRob fiasco, you choose only to look at the players that other teams picked in the spots we gave up, rather than look at potential players that we could have drafted in that spot.

6 good players and countless busts. Why don't you bring up the players we could have picked at that spot that could have been horrible? Justin Smiley anyone? Dwan Edwards?

You are only looking at the good potential players not the bad ones. there were alot more bad ones.

He was a DT that every team wanted and happens to only be a servicable player. So we drafted a bust, it happens.

even if that's true "only being servicable" doesn't equate bust. A bust is a player who cannot draw an NFL pay check. Cut Drob tomorrow there are 31 other teams calling his agent.

even if that's true "only being servicable" doesn't equate bust. A bust is a player who cannot draw an NFL pay check. Cut Drob tomorrow there are 31 other teams calling his agent.

I doubt that, especially with his contract and his knee.

No way Matt, he draws a paycheck like Bitonti says!!! We should give up all of next years draft to aquire him since he's better than DRob!!!

You all will see DROB is a high quality player. He's gonna kick ass at NT.

When all is said & done, the McCariens trade (thus far) has not been a good one. We lost out on a potential difference-maker (which he is not) AND many millions in cap space that a rookie would not have cost (even if the rookie was a bust himself). Money that could have been used towards a sure-thing FA. Instead of finding a $3M/yr FA now, we could get ourselves a $6M/yr FA and our cap would look the same.

Archived