Jets draft a little overrated

Phinsuck

I liked the Jets draft but only to a certain extent. We improved but I felt we had a good chance to improve by a lot more. Even if you agree with the first two picks, Ferguson and Mangold, and I know the majority of you do, you have to admit there is a significant talent drop-off after that.

There were a lot of good offensive linemen taken after Round 1 that we could have had had we just been patient. I know a lot of you guys are down on Winston Justice for his off the field problems but the kid can flat out play. I saw him manhandle Haloti Ngata when Southern Cal played Oregon. The man is an excellent run blocker and pass protector. Just ask Matt Leinart and Reggie Bush. There were plenty of other talented linemen we could have drafted had we just waited. Whitworth, Trueblood, Spitz, Eslinger. Are you telling me we couldn't have rebuilt the O-line with those guys?

And of the players we did pick after Round 1 none really impress me. The only playmaker I think we got in this draft was Schlegel. Other than that I think the players we got all have serious question marks or have limited upside. Clemens and Leon Washington are both undersized and injury prone, Pociask can't catch and Smith is a qb and not every qb turned receiver becomes Hines Ward.

Overall I didn't think we did bad, I just think we could have done a lot better. I feel like we could have hit a home run out of the park but instead we hit a single.

Can people get over Winston Justice? Him slipping to the second round MEANS NOTHING TO US. The Jets wouldnt have drafted him in round 4 either, he's not the type of player that they want on this team.

The Jets got VERY skilled players in Ferguson/Mangold, with great characters/smarts. Players like that arent available in round 4.

eLOT

Overall I didn't think we did bad, I just think we could have done a lot better. I feel like we could have hit a home run out of the park but instead we hit a single.

Do you think a "home run" would take a 4-12 football team to the promised land?:eek:

The Jets had more holes to fill than Jenna Jameson.

Dude, if you can't see the direction that Mangini and company are taking the Jets, you are completely missing the boat.

Do you think a "home run" would take a 4-12 football team to the promised land?:eek:

Dude, if you can't see the direction that Mangini and company are taking the Jets, you are completely missing the boat.

POTW material.

My first impressions of the draft as a whole is a very positive one. To say we had a talent drop-off after two stellar picks, Ferguson and Mangold, is obvious, but also not supported well. Brad Smith is a physical freak, indeed possibly one of the BEST athletes in the entire draft, Kellen Clemens may be JUST AS GOOD a thrower as Matt Leinart, despite some physical liabilities (height, size, etc.), Schlegel adds quality depth and toughness to the ILB position in the 3-4, and I feel Leon Washington will also be able to contribute down the road. As for the rest, I'm not very familiar with them, but Jason Pociask looks like he could be our starting FB in 2007 based on his supposed blocking abilities.

All in all, I gave this draft a B+ on my first impression only. I don't think we missed the boat on any players, because NO ONE in this draft made me say "YES, we MUST put him in green and white!" except for Ferguson, the man we took.

There were no stupid, unnecesarry maneuvers like moving up within the 1st round (why would a team with TWO first rounders do that anyways?). And even better, we got, possibly, our starting QB in '06 (Ramsey) for a 6th and picked up a 2nd rounder in '07. I'm really warming up to Eric Mangini and Mike Tennenbaum with their decision making.

How do you know how many holes I've filled big boy?

293c1ab126.jpg

We got top shelf talent in positions of need in round 1. No one can argue that. We drafted a very solid Q/B in round 2, and 1 injury in his college career is not "injury-prone" Shclagel is the L/B who had his number all over the TV screen on the couple of games I caught. He can play, and he can tackle. Eric Smith will surprise you. He was moving up on the boards before the draft. Brad Smith may turn out to be useful, with his multiple talents (W/R option, on an end-around??). Leon Wasington is small, but he can help in several directions, including the return game. And, as was posted above, we may have found a blocking F/B or H-Back.

We also stole a 2nd rounder for 2007 from Washington. We traded our 2006 second rounder, for 2 secon rounders, and a #6. Tannenbaum sure is no Bradway!!!:cheers:

Not a lot to complain about. We did very well. And a lot of holes on the team were addressed.

we solidified our oline for years to come, got a QB with some nice potential, a RB who if he can bulk a little more and maintain his speed could become our warricck dunn type back, a fantastic athlete in Brad Smith... I didnt like the 3rd round picks, but schelegel still has potential to be a monster run stopper between teh hashes in the 3-4...

Yea, we didnt come away with a more bonified receiver or a pass rusher but you cant get everything accomplished in one draft.

It was a good start for Tangini.

Washington is a pick that may prove prophetic. Most of you don't remember Charlie Tolar of the KC Chief (maybe even from Texas before Hunt moved them to KC) He was listed as 5'6" 200+. It was awfully tough to tackle a bowling ball.

Washington is a pick that may prove prophetic. Most of you don't remember Charlie Tolar of the KC Chief (maybe even from Texas before Hunt moved them to KC) He was listed as 5'6" 200+. It was awfully tough to tackle a bowling ball.

Unless he playes Defense and has Knives attached!!;)

Hey now. I won't have you talking that way about one of my (myspace) friends. Biotch!

Take it easy with Leon Washington. He is small, injury prone and never carried a full load. No Tiki Barber comparisons please.

The Jets could have taken care of a lot more needs in this draft than they did. It's a little foolish to take for granted that next year's draft will solve all the other problems. This year they have a soft schedule so they probably won't be picking in the top 10 next year.

As for Winston Justice I can't just "let it go". Justice has all the talent in the world and I would not be surprised if he turned out to be better than D'Brick. McNabb won't have anyone to throw to next year but he will have protection.

As for Winston Justice I can't just "let it go". Justice has all the talent in the world and I would not be surprised if he turned out to be better than D'Brick. McNabb won't have anyone to throw to next year but he will have protection.

Justice won't play unless Runyan goes down. He's young and raw and has a nickel head. Million dollar body but a nickel head. He could be better than Brick... yeah if he wasn't such a putz.

I agree the Leon washington mania is way overblown but the guy could be a good thunder and lightning combo with Houston/Askew. The Jets want to hang on to Curtis for a few more years but around him it will be RB by committee.

I like every pick

There were 3 reasons why the JETS did not make the playoffs last year

1.Coaching......SUCKED

2.Offensive line.......SUCKED

3.No Freakin Quaterback

Thats it.

I think we addressed all 3 this offseason and I fully expect to be back in the playoffs...Now I can go thru each one and say why but everyone here already knows why

I like every pick

There were 3 reasons why the JETS did not make the playoffs last year

1.Coaching......SUCKED

2.Offensive line.......SUCKED

3.No Freakin Quaterback

Thats it.

I think we addressed all 3 this offseason and I fully expect to be back in the playoffs...Now I can go thru each one and say why but everyone here already knows why

Even if the O-line didn't fall apart and Pennington stayed healthy I don't think the Jets would have made the playoffs last year. You're forgetting that the running game was and still is non-existent. We lost Lamont Jordan and Curtis Martin was hurt and looked old. The loss of the running game did more to hurt the Jets last year than Pennington's injury. Without a running game we were dead.

I really don't see how the running game isn't going to suck again next year. None of the improvements we made were geared to helping reestablish the run. Our backfield is lame. Martin is old, Blaylock sucks, Houston is hurt and this Leon Washington guy is Warrick Dunn without the talent. Askew did not look good last year at all and I don't expect much from him as the starting FB.

As for the O-line it got better but not its strength is not run blocking. Brick is a better pass blocker than he is a run blocker and the same goes for Adrian Jones. God forbid Doug Jolley ever has a run blocking assignment .

As bad a coach as Herm was I think it's hard to blame him for what happened last year. You can't blame him for Mawae and Fabini getting old. Rushing Pennington back too quickly, you may have a point about that. Overusing and abusing CuMart, you have a point there too. Still, it wasn't like the Jets had a good team last year and Herm just blew it with dumb playcalling, they were screwed either way.

Even if the O-line didn't fall apart and Pennington stayed healthy I don't think the Jets would have made the playoffs last year. You're forgetting that the running game was and still is non-existent. We lost Lamont Jordan and Curtis Martin was hurt and looked old. The loss of the running game did more to hurt the Jets last year than Pennington's injury. Without a running game we were dead.

I really don't see how the running game isn't going to suck again next year. None of the improvements we made were geared to helping reestablish the run. Our backfield is lame. Martin is old, Blaylock sucks, Houston is hurt and this Leon Washington guy is Warrick Dunn without the talent. Askew did not look good last year at all and I don't expect much from him as the starting FB.

As for the O-line it got better but not its strength is not run blocking. Brick is a better pass blocker than he is a run blocker and the same goes for Adrian Jones. God forbid Doug Jolley ever has a run blocking assignment .

As bad a coach as Herm was I think it's hard to blame him for what happened last year. You can't blame him for Mawae and Fabini getting old. Rushing Pennington back too quickly, you may have a point about that. Overusing and abusing CuMart, you have a point there too. Still, it wasn't like the Jets had a good team last year and Herm just blew it with dumb playcalling, they were screwed either way.

So you're saying that bringing in the most elite LT in college football and a monster center will do NOTHING to improve the running game? Just because their MAIN STRENGTH is pass blocking does not mean they bring zero to the running game.

As for our blocking situation at TE, that's partly why we drafted Jason Pociask. I would not be surprised to see him involved in the running game, both as a TE and a FB.

He'll be a fullback, and the Jets sure do need one.

I agree, I do believe he will be our starting FB by 2007, maybe sooner if B.J. Askew proves ineffective. But it's not out of the question he is slipped in at TE. I have a feeling Mangini is NOT going to limit his players to just one role if they are able to fill multiple roles.

I agree, I do believe he will be our starting FB by 2007, maybe sooner if B.J. Askew proves ineffective. But it's not out of the question he is slipped in at TE. I have a feeling Mangini is NOT going to limit his players to just one role if they are able to fill multiple roles.

No question. Flexibility is gold.

And as for BJ Askew... he can't block. He wasn't a fullback at Michigan. He was a halfback. He won't be fullback for long. I figure that Pociask will be the starting FB before too long.

No question. Flexibility is gold.

And as for BJ Askew... he can't block. He wasn't a fullback at Michigan. He was a halfback. He won't be fullback for long. I figure that Pociask will be the starting FB before too long.

Agreed, unless he plans to give Askew carries. At this stage, I don't know if we should be keeping a roster spot open for him unless he shows Mangini something in camp. We can't have 6 RB's on the squad, after all, if Pociask is in fact going to be listed as a FB.

Agreed, unless he plans to give Askew carries. At this stage, I don't know if we should be keeping a roster spot open for him unless he shows Mangini something in camp. We can't have 6 RB's on the squad, after all, if Pociask is in fact going to be listed as a FB.

True enough. I don't think they're all going to make it through training camp. No one is guaranteed a spot on this roster, and I'm glad for that.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.... unfortunately for you Peter North you are not a broken clock.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.... unfortunately for you Peter North you are not a broken clock.

Ba-zing!

Anyway, the Jets have added depth, character, and hard workers to this team. I can't fault the way this offseason has gone. Especially with drafting Brick over Herpes boy.

I liked the Jets draft but only to a certain extent. We improved but I felt we had a good chance to improve by a lot more. Even if you agree with the first two picks, Ferguson and Mangold, and I know the majority of you do, you have to admit there is a significant talent drop-off after that.

There were a lot of good offensive linemen taken after Round 1 that we could have had had we just been patient. I know a lot of you guys are down on Winston Justice for his off the field problems but the kid can flat out play. I saw him manhandle Haloti Ngata when Southern Cal played Oregon. The man is an excellent run blocker and pass protector. Just ask Matt Leinart and Reggie Bush. There were plenty of other talented linemen we could have drafted had we just waited. Whitworth, Trueblood, Spitz, Eslinger. Are you telling me we couldn't have rebuilt the O-line with those guys?

And of the players we did pick after Round 1 none really impress me. The only playmaker I think we got in this draft was Schlegel. Other than that I think the players we got all have serious question marks or have limited upside. Clemens and Leon Washington are both undersized and injury prone, Pociask can't catch and Smith is a qb and not every qb turned receiver becomes Hines Ward.

The Jets had so many holes entering the draft that it was going to be extremely hard to address all of them. By the end of last weekend, We had 10 draft picks. The team really could have used 20 picks to be honest with you.

Mangini and Tannenbaum are trying to build a champion. It's going to take time. They need this draft to come through and they need a big draft in 2007. Combine that with some smart free agent moves next offseason and The Jets could be in a position to make a run.

They added their kind of players through the draft. Whether or not, They work out. It remains to be seen but every guy they got fits the criteria of the types of players that Tangini wants to build this team around.

I think that The Jets want to build from the inside out.

If the Jets needed a fullback this bad why didn't they just draft Mat Bernstein from Wisconsin or Vickers from Colorado? They're both better than Pokeyass and they actually PLAYED THE POSITION in college. Pokeyass did to but he's really a tight end.

If the Jets needed a fullback this bad why didn't they just draft Mat Bernstein from Wisconsin or Vickers from Colorado? They're both better than Pokeyass and they actually PLAYED THE POSITION in college. Pokeyass did to but he's really a tight end.

If the Jets won a game 27-3, you'de be whining about the field goal for a week. Give it a rest already.

Vickers isn't much of a blocker - he's like a slightly bigger version of Askew. Bernstein supposedly (from Bit) not only has potentially serious neck problems but his head isn't into it & is dealing with a lot of family pressure to not play football.

Vickers isn't much of a blocker - he's like a slightly bigger version of Askew. Bernstein supposedly (from Bit) not only has potentially serious neck problems but his head isn't into it & is dealing with a lot of family pressure to not play football.

If the stuff about Bernstein is true then that's fine but passing up on Vickers is still a mistake. I see Vickers as a Richie Anderson/Jerald Sowell type. Vickers is a good, not a great blocker. Compared to Askew however, Vickers is a significantly better run blocker and a more natural fullback who can also catch passes out of the backfield.

Maybe they wanted someone with versatility. He can play TE and FB.

eLOT

If the stuff about Bernstein is true then that's fine but passing up on Vickers is still a mistake. I see Vickers as a Richie Anderson/Jerald Sowell type. Vickers is a good, not a great blocker. Compared to Askew however, Vickers is a significantly better run blocker and a more natural fullback who can also catch passes out of the backfield.

Does the name Chris Cooley ring any bells? I'm just asking.

Archived