Zito to the Mets?

stormshadow19

It's made sense for several seasons for Zito to be a Met, but it just hasn't happened, and I am not TOTALLY sold on his character or that he can cure his problems with inconsistency and mental blocks to success.

However, need overrides these concerns. The Mets will need starting pitching. Badly. It may start with the decline (finally) of 40-year old Tom Glavine. Or a Pedro injury. Or Steve Trachsel simply sucking (already started). Either way, this starting staff IS going to need some fresh arms in it, and Zito would be a great start to building it up for the dog days of summer. Zito is a hard throwing lefty with, occasionally, dominant stuff. And though he hasn't performed to these standards since his Cy Young year, I have a feeling that coming to the NL would be a great remedy, especially in a pure pitcher's park like Shea Stadium.

I just hope we don't have to give up a prized prospect, such as Lastings Millege, to get him. I hope that those days are behind us with Minaya. In any case, Zito as a Met would be fine by me if the price is right. But then again, that's true about a lot of pitchers in the bigs. We'll see what Omar does.

It's made sense for several seasons for Zito to be a Met, but it just hasn't happened, and I am not TOTALLY sold on his character or that he can cure his problems with inconsistency and mental blocks to success.

However, need overrides these concerns. The Mets will need starting pitching. Badly. It may start with the decline (finally) of 40-year old Tom Glavine. Or a Pedro injury. Or Steve Trachsel simply sucking (already started). Either way, this starting staff IS going to need some fresh arms in it, and Zito would be a great start to building it up for the dog days of summer. Zito is a hard throwing lefty with, occasionally, dominant stuff. And though he hasn't performed to these standards since his Cy Young year, I have a feeling that coming to the NL would be a great remedy, especially in a pure pitcher's park like Shea Stadium.

I just hope we don't have to give up a prized prospect, such as Lastings Millege, to get him. I hope that those days are behind us with Minaya. In any case, Zito as a Met would be fine by me if the price is right. But then again, that's true about a lot of pitchers in the bigs. We'll see what Omar does.

As a matter of fact, that's the guy they were talking about sending to Oakland. Cliff Floyd shot that down. He said, and I quote "No." When the dude asked him if he'd trade him for Zito.

The way I look at it is this... you've got to give up to get something. And, it's not as if Zito short term. He's only 27 and can pitch for 10 more years, at the very least. And, he's left handed and would probably be dominant in the NL.

As a matter of fact, that's the guy they were talking about sending to Oakland. Cliff Floyd shot that down. He said, and I quote "No." When the dude asked him if he'd trade him for Zito.

The way I look at it is this... you've got to give up to get something. And, it's not as if Zito short term. He's only 27 and can pitch for 10 more years, at the very least. And, he's left handed and would probably be dominant in the NL.

The fact that Floyd doesn't want Millege gone speaks volume as to how good this 20-year old kid is. Millege will be the one TAKING FLOYD'S JOB soon enough.

Yes, I understand how good Zito can be, and that is still young. But after the Kazmir deal blew up in our face (not so much because Kazmir is NECESARILLY the next Koufax, but because Zambrano BLOWS), I'm in somewhat of a "anyone but Millege" state of mind in terms of who we deal. The only other player I add to that list is David Wright. I wouldn't deal Wright for anyone in the majors to be perfectly honest.

So if the A's want to unload Zito to the Mets, great. But if Millege is in the deal, you can bet I and a surprising number of Mets fans will be against it. This kid might just make up for the Jeromy Burnitz's, Mo Vaughn's, Roberto Alomar's, etc. etc. etc. of the Mets past.

I have made fun of the Kazmir deal for years. The funny thing is, I don't care who you are giving up. If you have a chance to get Barry Zito, you do it. You trade top prospects if you make your team better. This would make the Mets better. BUT...it makes them better for the long haul.

Zito is an ace. Go get him.

Why?

-He doesn't turn 28 until next week.

-He has already won 88 games.

-His 4.07 era this year would be 0.56 in the NL.

-In 42 IP this year he has given up 30 hits. That is sick.

-He throws with his left hand.

-His curve ball will be the best that NY has seen since Rod Scurry.

-He has nothing else in common with Rod Scurry.

Last year he won 14 games. But look at his numbers. They are good. He gave up a lot of home runs but his ERA was well below the league average. Take the home runs out of the mix (i.e. move him to the NL) and he is a # 1 starter.

The Mets would be smart to make that move. Glavine has how much left? Pedro is great but you want someone else around him. Do it Mets. Do it.

I have made fun of the Kazmir deal for years. The funny thing is, I don't care who you are giving up. If you have a chance to get Barry Zito, you do it. You trade top prospects if you make your team better. This would make the Mets better. BUT...it makes them better for the long haul.

Zito is an ace. Go get him.

Why?

-He doesn't turn 28 until next week.

-He has already won 88 games.

-His 4.07 era this year would be 0.56 in the NL.

-In 42 IP this year he has given up 30 hits. That is sick.

-He throws with his left hand.

-His curve ball will be the best that NY has seen since Rod Scurry.

-He has nothing else in common with Rod Scurry.

Last year he won 14 games. But look at his numbers. They are good. He gave up a lot of home runs but his ERA was well below the league average. Take the home runs out of the mix (i.e. move him to the NL) and he is a # 1 starter.

The Mets would be smart to make that move. Glavine has how much left? Pedro is great but you want someone else around him. Do it Mets. Do it.

Says a Yankee fan who is very prone to saying "do it without thinking". The landscape of the game of baseball has changed dramatically over the last 5 years. Teams don't just give away prospects anymore. Zito may be "ace" material, but that doesn't always translate to wins and losses in the long term. If he is such an amazing talent, why hasn't he been dealt before? The A's have been looking to unload him for the past 3 seasons due to his contract.

Lastings Millege must not be traded. I don't really care who we're getting in the deal. He is a 5-tool caliber player. Just because a Zito is out there doesn't mean you give up the farm for him. I am sure there is a way to package other prospects for Zito that will satisfy the A's.

Says a Yankee fan who is very prone to saying "do it without thinking". The landscape of the game of baseball has changed dramatically over the last 5 years. Teams don't just give away prospects anymore. Zito may be "ace" material, but that doesn't always translate to wins and losses in the long term. If he is such an amazing talent, why hasn't he been dealt before? The A's have been looking to unload him for the past 3 seasons due to his contract.

Lastings Millege must not be traded. I don't really care who we're getting in the deal. He is a 5-tool caliber player. Just because a Zito is out there doesn't mean you give up the farm for him. I am sure there is a way to package other prospects for Zito that will satisfy the A's.

Bro,

Not for nothing but that is the worst post ever on JN. First you blasted me and said I am prone to say do it without thinking. Um, okay. Maybe you haven't read my posts ever but I am not a trade away the farm guy. I have gone on record as saying the Yankees needed to give Jose C and guys like that more time. I am not reactionary. By any means.

Zito may be "ace" material, but that doesn't always translate to wins and losses in the long term.

Yeah, I hate those Aces that lose time after time. What the hell are you talking about? His ERA is good. He gives up many less hits then IP. And he has good control. If you score for him, he will win.

If the Mets get Zito this year, they can win the World Series. It is that simple. Now Lastings Milledge is a Top 50 prospect. But the Mets can buy what he will do for them. Guys like Zito do not hit the open market.

If they can get him without giving up Lastings Milledge then more power to them. What I am saying is they should get Zito. That is if the goal is winning the World Series. They will not win it as they are currently built.

Yeah... it's not like they can't buy him back in 7 years. And, don't say anything back, because you know it's true. Or don't get Barry Zito, whatever. You've seen how dominant Roger Clemens is in the NL. You don't think Zito, with his stuff, can't be as dominant, if not more? He'll win you more games than Lastings Millege will. Max is in the right. You go get him, no matter what.

Milledge for Zito?

NO

if you guys were Mets fan's you would understand.

Definatly no.

The Mets have the best record in baseball right now.

Do you feel the can win the World Series with the roster the way it is?

If not, what position can they improve?

The Mets have the best record in baseball right now.

Do you feel the can win the World Series with the roster the way it is?

If not, what position can they improve?

It is not worth trading Milledge right now.

If anything we will try to bring up Pelfrey later in the year.

If we can get Zito, definatly go for it, but not at that price.

I think it would be Victor Diaz plus a pitching prospect if Zito is out there for the taking.

Zito's being shopped because Oakland won't pay him so hopefully that allows us some leverage to not have to give up Milledge.

I think Oakland will float these rumors right up until the trade deadline unless overwhelmed with a offer. I can see the Yanks , Sox(pending Boomer's health) and Reds getting involved in the bidding.

I think it would be Victor Diaz plus a pitching prospect if Zito is out there for the taking.

Zito's being shopped because Oakland won't pay him so hopefully that allows us some leverage to not have to give up Milledge.

I think Oakland will float these rumors right up until the trade deadline unless overwhelmed with a offer. I can see the Yanks , Sox(pending Boomer's health) and Reds getting involved in the bidding.

Diaz and another played (hopefully not Pelfrey) would be unbelievable.

Diaz is a good player, and a good guy too, and It's just a shame that we could not really get him in the outfield here. He will be very productive with a nother team.

I seriously doubt Minaya would trade Milledge-to get Zito it would have to be some other package-that I could live with . Milledge is the heir apparent to Floyd

You wouldn't trade a # 1 starter for a corner OF? This team is built to win it now. They have some youth but it is not in the rotation. Zito would change that.

Like I said....hopefuly for the Mets the price wouldn't be that high. GimmeShelter nailed it...wait until the break and the price will come down. Baseball being what it is, not many teams can afford Zito.

You wouldn't trade a # 1 starter for a corner OF? This team is built to win it now. They have some youth but it is not in the rotation. Zito would change that.

Like I said....hopefuly for the Mets the price wouldn't be that high. GimmeShelter nailed it...wait until the break and the price will come down. Baseball being what it is, not many teams can afford Zito.

For Zito I would not trade the Mets number one prospect - Zito is going to be walking at the end of the year if Oakland does not do a trade- the pressure is on them to come down with demands as the season goes

It is not worth trading Milledge right now.

If anything we will try to bring up Pelfrey later in the year.

If we can get Zito, definatly go for it, but not at that price.

That does not answer the question that I asked.

Jermaine\Gimme\Faba...

Can the Mets win the World Series (in your opinion) with the roster that they currently have?

If not then what position can they improve upon this season?

Jermaine\Gimme\Faba...

Can the Mets win the World Series (in your opinion) with the roster that they currently have?

No one will argue the Mets need to shore up the starting pitching- Milledge has all the tools to be a starter for a long time in the league and is the one true blue chip we have as a position player. Oakland will need to trade Zito as the season goes on- the chips are in the Mets favor to not give up their best position player in the system for him

The Mets aren't a Zito away from winning the World Series. They need to build up the farm system, the complete opposite of what they used to do. Just because Zito is out there doesn't make it a necessity that you have to give up your top prospect for him. Remember, the Mets early success does not mean we Mets fans think this is the year. Zambrano WON'T be the only pitcher to go down this year. Glavine is 40. Pedro is injury prone. Trachsel is...Trachsel. Think Zito will win it all for us alone? Get real.

Maxman, I want Zito. I think he's a great talent. But not Millege. If the A's can't accept a good package of 2 or 3 of our 2nd-tier prospects, f*uck 'em.

And Maxman, I generalized you as a Yankee fan. My bad. But you can't fault me. You were the guys saying Randy Johnson would lead you to the promised land, remember?

The Mets aren't a Zito away from winning the World Series. They need to build up the farm system, the complete opposite of what they used to do. Just because Zito is out there doesn't make it a necessity that you have to give up your top prospect for him. Remember, the Mets early success does not mean we Mets fans think this is the year. Zambrano WON'T be the only pitcher to go down this year. Glavine is 40. Pedro is injury prone. Trachsel is...Trachsel. Think Zito will win it all for us alone? Get real.

Maxman, I want Zito. I think he's a great talent. But not Millege. If the A's can't accept a good package of 2 or 3 of our 2nd-tier prospects, f*uck 'em.

And Maxman, I generalized you as a Yankee fan. My bad. But you can't fault me. You were the guys saying Randy Johnson would lead you to the promised land, remember?

Well if they can get Zito at a lower price that is great. My point in all this...Zito is a guy you can build around for a long time. That is what makes him interesting.

OH and stay tuned for the 2006 World Series. Then tell me about Randy! They still have a shot!

Jermaine\Gimme\Faba...

No unless Pedro and Glavine were unconcious in the post season and won every start.

Like the Yankees have done every year, the Mets will address starting pitching as the trade deadline approaches via trade or the Yankee favorite, another teams salary dump with little in return required.

I trust Omar though it's just a shame he didn't appreciate Anna Benson as much as we did.

Look for the Mets to add a Chacon type plus be a major player for any big time starter in which another team is looking to rid itself of that players salary.

We have both the farm system and the salary room to get it done.

Well if they can get Zito at a lower price that is great. My point in all this...Zito is a guy you can build around for a long time. That is what makes him interesting.

OH and stay tuned for the 2006 World Series. Then tell me about Randy! They still have a shot!

If Zito is the next "franchise" pitcher though, why hasn't everybody tried to snatch him? The A's have dangled him as trade bait in each of the past 2-3 seasons, and no one has bitten.

milledge is a projected 30/30 guy. zito is very inconsistent and he might not even resign with us. you would give up a perennial future all star for 5 months of a decent pitcher? id rather go get odalis perez. what if we traded reyes or wright where would we be?

milledge ranks among the top 10 prospects in baseball

we also have mike pelfrey and alay soler we can call up

Look, we are not trading Milledge for Zito end of story.

Yes I would rather have a Future All-Star outfielder than a "pretty good" pitcher.

screw this "built for now" garbage. That is the same thing that got your beloved Yankees to 200M and very few prospects, and ZERO team chemistry.

If (When) we are looking strong towards the end of this season we should try to make a move for a pitcher to shore up the back of the rot.

until then there will be no mortgaging of the future.

I just do not believe in bankrupting your farm system and Milledge is by all accounts a 5 tool type player. If they agree to a lesser package than Milledge than I am on board

I just do not believe in bankrupting your farm system and Milledge is by all accounts a 5 tool type player. If they agree to a lesser package than Milledge than I am on board

exactly. I would love to see Victor Diaz get a shot with another team. He got a raw deal here, and he can definatly play.

Didn't the Mets have a five tool prospect about three years ago named Alex Escobar ?

I think he went to Cleveland in the Alomar trade.

The also had Generation K with Isringhausen, Wilson and Pulsipher that were gonna lead the Mets out of the Abyss in mid 90's ?

The one thing in common they all have is that they all got hurt or didn't produce on the big league level.

I'm not saying the same thing will happen to Milledge. From everything I have read and heard he sounds like the real deal but in all seriousness not only do I think Oakland would ask for Milledge but probably a low level pitching prospect as well.

If someone comes to me and offers big name pitching for a prospect then I would give serious consideration to it.

29 year old leftys hitting the prime of their careers don't grow on trees. Especially one who would be reunited with a pitching coach who was one of the forces behind his Cy Young Award.

Didn't the Mets have a five tool prospect about three years ago named Alex Escobar ?

I think he went to Cleveland in the Alomar trade.

The also had Generation K with Isringhausen, Wilson and Pulsipher that were gonna lead the Mets out of the Abyss in mid 90's ?

The one thing in common they all have is that they all got hurt or didn't produce on the big league level.

I'm not saying the same thing will happen to Milledge. From everything I have read and heard he sounds like the real deal but in all seriousness not only do I think Oakland would ask for Milledge but probably a low level pitching prospect as well.

If someone comes to me and offers big name pitching for a prospect then I would give serious consideration to it.

29 year old leftys hitting the prime of their careers don't grow on trees. Especially one who would be reunited with a pitching coach who was one of the forces behind his Cy Young Award.

Didnt we also have a prospect two years ago given similar reviews to Milledge's?

Wasnt his name David Wright?

Some fail, some succeed, but the better a player performs while he is ascending the farm system more often means he will perform better to the degree of success he is having.

Just because some dont pan out does not mean all wont.

Didnt we also have a prospect two years ago given similar reviews to Milledge's?

Wasnt his name David Wright?

Some fail, some succeed, but the better a player performs while he is ascending the farm system more often means he will perform better to the degree of success he is having.

Just because some dont pan out does not mean all wont.

You are absoultely correct. Some do some don't.

The Mets though are in need of starting pitching if they intend on going deep into the playoffs. Pedro, Glavine, Trachsel are good but they are still going to need that 4th guy. Now maybe he comes up from the farm system I don't know.

My opinion now. If the Mets are going go deep into the playoffs (i.e World Series) they are going to need someone to go with Pedro, Glavine and Trachsel. If the A's offer me Zito or the Marlins offer me Willis for Milledge and low level pitching prospect I give it serious consideration.

You are absoultely correct. Some do some don't.

The Mets though are in need of starting pitching if they intend on going deep into the playoffs. Pedro, Glavine, Trachsel are good but they are still going to need that 4th guy. Now maybe he comes up from the farm system I don't know.

My opinion now. If the Mets are going go deep into the playoffs (i.e World Series) they are going to need someone to go with Pedro, Glavine and Trachsel. If the A's offer me Zito or the Marlins offer me Willis for Milledge and low level pitching prospect I give it serious consideration.

I'm sorry... but i'll actually admit I have a deeper reason for not wanting this trade.

for some reason whenever good teams pick up a player or two to "complete the puzzle" during the season, it never seems to work out.

Look at the Miami Heat... they picked up Mourning, Williams, Payton, even Antoine Walker, and still you know they will be beaten by either the Nets Pistons Spurs or Mavs or even Heat

I'm sorry... but i'll actually admit I have a deeper reason for not wanting this trade.

for some reason whenever good teams pick up a player or two to "complete the puzzle" during the season, it never seems to work out.

Look at the Miami Heat... they picked up Mourning, Williams, Payton, even Antoine Walker, and still you know they will be beaten by either the Nets Pistons Spurs or Mavs or even Heat

Then on the other side you have.

1994: New York Rangers make trades at the deadline and bring in Stephane Matteau, Steve Larmer, and Glenn Anderson. Matteau scores the winning goal in game 7 of Eastern Conference Finals against the Devils sending the Rangers to their first Stanley Cup final since 1978-79.

Look at the 1992-1993 Blue Jays who brought in David Cone in 1992 to help lead the Jays over the Braves and Rickey Henderson who they acquired from Oakland and help lead the Jays over the Phillies.

and if you want to go wayyyyy back take a look at your very own 69 Mets who brought in Donn Clendenon who not only solidfied the Mets at first base but was the World Series MVP as well.

So it goes both ways. I always go on the basis you never have enough pitching so if Zito or Willis are available I would make a pitch for them.

Willis maybe, Zito, NF'nWay. He cheated Pedro out of Cy Young one year and he's been barely OK since. This is no superstar you mortgage your future on. Now Willis is having a bad start, but the guy has serious speed. I'm willing to bet Peterson can turn him around, but ONLY at the right price. We weren't ready to do the Milledge deal in the offseason and thus far NEITHER of these guys warrants dealing Heilmann. Just cause the #5 starter is down, there's no reason to panic. Got some talent on the farm too.

Yeah... it's not like they can't buy him back in 7 years. And, don't say anything back, because you know it's true. Or don't get Barry Zito, whatever. You've seen how dominant Roger Clemens is in the NL. You don't think Zito, with his stuff, can't be as dominant, if not more? He'll win you more games than Lastings Millege will. Max is in the right. You go get him, no matter what.

Truth be told, I am not that big a fan of Zito. Not that I do not think he isn't a top of the rotation pitcher, but he isn't your "dominating, clear-the-deck" number 1 Ace. He is, however, very solid. He probably will be even better in the NL, with no DH, and weaker hitting middle infs, and bigger ballparks.

If you can add a Zito to the 2006 Mets team, without sacrificing anyone from your Major League roster, you do it if you are the Mets. This puts you above all the competition in the NL, and almost guarantees you a WS appearance in 2006.

Lastings may be a superstar down the road. But he may also be another overhyped ballplayer out of the locals Farm Systems, who never turns into anything. Billy Beane anyone? David West anyone? The list is almost endless.

BTW - the same logic applies if Dontrelle Willis is available. You do what it takes to procure him. And, as a sub 25 year old, Dontrelle, who has already shown his capabilities, will also be around for a long time.

Reds?:confused: They aren't going to spend to keep him??

Archived