The 2006 NYJ have to make a run at the playoffs

Tinstar2

My Reasoning is simple.

Last yr was the yr of no excuses .

This yr,the Offensive line is stronger.Exit Fabini and Mawae,enter Ferguson,Mangold,Teague and Clements

The receivers are the same

The QB situation is better/Chad was coming off shoulder surgery last yr also.Ramsey is as good as Fielder in some eyes,not mine.Bollinger:) has starting experience,something he didn't last yr.Clements is the new golden boy.

The Rbs are improved and all healthy.

The defensive Line is missing ABe but so what,the team is switching to the 34defense.

The LBers are improved

The secondary is Improved

The Coaching Staff has the support of the fan base.

You make changes to improve,not get worst.I'm not saying like most did last yr that the Jets need to make the SB,or that they even need to make the Playoffs.I expect this team to make a run at those Playoffs and anything short of that will be a failure.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My Reasoning is simple.

This yr,the Offensive line is stronger.Exit Fabini and Mawae,enter Ferguson,Mangold,Teague and Clements

The QB situation is better/Chad was coming off shoulder surgery last yr also.Ramsey is as good as Fielder in some eyes,not mine.Bollinger:) has starting experience,something he didn't last yr.Clements is the new golden boy.

The defensive Line is missing ABe but so what,the team is switching to the 34defense.

The LBers are improved

You make changes to improve,not get worst.I'm not saying like most did last yr that the Jets need to make the SB,or that they even need to make the Playoffs.I expect this team to make a run at those Playoffs and anything short of that will be a failure.

\

Accountability starts with Tannebaum and Mangini. No excuses.

The offensive line isn't actually better right now. It will take atleast 8 games for them to be good, and they probably won't be elite until the very end of the year, if not next year at the earliest. A lot of line play comes from familiarity. We're basically changing the entire line right now.

The WRs are a year older, Coles is a huge question mark. QB is a question mark too. We basically have 3 rookies right now. 2 of whom are complete rookies pretty much that will spend anywhere from half the season to a year to become NFL ready full time starters. The other might be ready in 3 games, but is a walking injury problem and might not be able to phyiscally execute things even if he is mentally prepared.

With all that being said, I think it is POSSIBLE we make a playoff run. Just not very likely. Expectations should be from 5-8 wins, with Jets fans being VERY happy with an 8 or 9 win season. Anything above 6 wins would be a good season I think. Above 8 wins would mean Mangini and the coaching staff have done a job worthy of being coach of the year. Hell, 6 wins and I'd think we should give him the award, but whatever. We have a chance, but please don't expect great results this year. Hope for it, dare to dream, but don't expect.

Tinstar.....DUDE

I have green-colored glasses, too....but....WTF?!

You're kidding, right?

.500 is all we should hope for this year.

Man, Tx is going to feast on this one...

.500 is challenging for a Playoff spot ,and something i can live with from these new guys.Why is everyone saying that this roster is improved over last yr,yet not a single person expect this team to do as well as the team from last yr.I thought we got rid of the problem when Herman Edwards quit.

My Reasoning is simple.

The LBers are improved

Tin, just reading what you sent makes me nervous.

Taking it one at a time, the OL. There's a whole bunch of new guys

that have to be introduced to each. Chemistry has to be developed

before this is a viable unit.

QBs.. If this was the Patss board and someone did the same type

of post they would say Brady will have another good year without

even mentioning another QB. Here we have to talk about 4 different

guys because we don't know who the QB is going to be.

RBs.. Same as QBs, if this was the SD board they would say LT

is ready for another great season. Here all we can say is that they

are all healthy.

On dfense same as OL, a lot of guys have to be introduced to each other.

All that said, on paper you may have a good point but realistically

all as a Jet fan I can say is that I'm cautiously optimistic. And

that is mainly because I think Mangini will have them playing at the

highest level they can possible be and who knows what can happen.

umm..i WANT the jets to make the playoffs next year, but saying we HAVE to is completely crazy.

wow...now i see what tx means by dellusional jets fans....he's talking about posts like this!

Hold the horses for a second. I've said I'd give this staff 2-3 years to get their feet on the ground. New GM, new HC, new OC, new DC and a plethora of new asst. coaches. Sorry, as much as I would like to see it, I don't...too many pieces to fit so soon. Can it be done? Perhaps, but the odds are against it...and I didn't even mention the players executing this stuff.

Tin, just reading what you sent makes me nervous.

Taking it one at a time, the OL. There's a whole bunch of new guys

that have to be introduced to each. Chemistry has to be developed

before this is a viable unit.

QBs.. If this was the Patss board and someone did the same type

of post they would say Brady will have another good year without

even mentioning another QB. Here we have to talk about 4 different

guys because we don't know who the QB is going to be.

RBs.. Same as QBs, if this was the SD board they would say LT

is ready for another great season. Here all we can say is that they

are all healthy.

On dfense same as OL, a lot of guys have to be introduced to each other.

All that said, on paper you may have a good point but realistically

all as a Jet fan I can say is that I'm cautiously optimistic. And

that is mainly because I think Mangini will have them playing at the

highest level they can possible be and who knows what can happen.

Senior you will forgive me but there was a HC here who the Fan base thought was a clueless nitwit,and he started 6 new defensive starters after a 6-10 season with a 1st time DC and almost went to the AFC championship game with a QB whose arm was hanging by a tread,and an OC disliked as much as the HC.That same yr,Brandon Moore was a 1st yr starter and Pete Kendall was new to the team.

My Reasoning is simple.

The LBers are improved

So many flaws in this post, I wouldnt even know where to begin.

umm..i WANT the jets to make the playoffs next year, but saying we HAVE to is completely crazy.

wow...now i see what tx means by dellusional jets fans....he's talking about posts like this!

People,for the love of the Jets,I said make a run at the playoffs,not that they have to make the Playoffs.If this team starts out 0-5,and finish 8-8,I`ll consider that successful.If this team start out 0-4,and finish 4-12,then I will have issues with this supposed great staff.

Remember People,a nitwit took this team to the playoffs 3 times in 5 yrs and the only time he actually had a healthy QB starting for all 16 games was his 1st season

That QB was Vinny who everyone believes was not being handled correctly.

So many flaws in this post, I wouldnt even know where to begin.

Qb - No defined leader on the offense since there will be no defined qb

RB - No single leader able to take the reins and carry the team

O-line- New members and no starters that can really lead with experience with the Jets. Yea Teague and Kendall are veterans, but Teague is new and Kendall has been around for a year. They aren't experienced enough WITH THE JETS to lead the Jets.

D-line - Questions with NT and Ellis is the only true staple to that line. Needs an anchor

LB's - Despite Vilma's presence, there is as many as 8 people who could be playing in 3-4 spots. There needs to be familiarization in those key positions to cover the holes elsewhere.

Secondary - No veteran leadership. Barrett is oldest and most experienced, but is far from a leader or a person the younger people could "learn" from since he is talentless in his own right. Dyson and Coleman are young and talented, but wouldn't be albe to unite the plethora of young talent to actually WORK and GROW together.

As someone else mentioned...inexperience in basically every leadership position: HC, OC, DC, GM, Asst. Coaches all the way down the line.

With uncertainty there is problems...for all the possible combinations the Jets have with players filling different positions, there are a hundred more questions to go along with them. And the people who would be answering the questions, the coaches, are not used to these situations yet.

Give them a year, accept a mediocre year this year and gear up for 2007.

Qb - No defined leader on the offense since there will be no defined qb

RB - No single leader able to take the reins and carry the team

O-line- New members and no starters that can really lead with experience with the Jets. Yea Teague and Kendall are veterans, but Teague is new and Kendall has been around for a year. They aren't experienced enough WITH THE JETS to lead the Jets.

D-line - Questions with NT and Ellis is the only true staple to that line. Needs an anchor

LB's - Despite Vilma's presence, there is as many as 8 people who could be playing in 3-4 spots. There needs to be familiarization in those key positions to cover the holes elsewhere.

Secondary - No veteran leadership. Barrett is oldest and most experienced, but is far from a leader or a person the younger people could "learn" from since he is talentless in his own right. Dyson and Coleman are young and talented, but wouldn't be albe to unite the plethora of young talent to actually WORK and GROW together.

As someone else mentioned...inexperience in basically every leadership position: HC, OC, DC, GM, Asst. Coaches all the way down the line.

With uncertainty there is problems...for all the possible combinations the Jets have with players filling different positions, there are a hundred more questions to go along with them. And the people who would be answering the questions, the coaches, are not used to these situations yet.

Give them a year, accept a mediocre year this year and gear up for 2007.

All true,and all add up to a Million and 1 excuses.Last season this team had a Nitwit for a HC,a New OC with an entirely new blocking scheme and everyone and their mother said the team was a SB contender.I asked for this team to be a playoff challenger and the excuses come out of the closet.

This HC took a WR and Made him a decent part time CB.Now I'm expected to believe he can't take players who have played their positions all their

lives and have them be decent.

All true,and all add up to a Million and 1 excuses.Last season this team had a Nitwit for a HC,a New OC with an entirely new blocking scheme and everyone and their mother said the team was a SB contender.I asked for this team to be a playoff challenger and the excuses come out of the closet.

This HC took a WR and Made him a decent part time CB.Now I'm expected to believe he can't take players who have played their positions all their

lives and have them be decent.

That nitwit left us in this mess where we have none of the players that managed to succeed in spite of him. Where are the players? Seriously, what are you pointing to? Mangini got rid of as much of the dead weight as he could, but he doesn't have new players to work with. Meanwhile, the nitwit was handed a championship team, and just ran it into the ground. If Mangini was the coach instead of the nitwit 5 years ago, we just might already have a Super Bowl win.

The curve of expectations and the curve of disapointments is the same curve. I'm very optimistic with prudent caution about the new regime. All they've done up to this point is a good reason for optimism. It could turn out that we had puzzle pieces that were illmanaged and the addition of the new puzzle pieces will gel this team quicker than usual with the right groundwork layed out. I really think the new management will create an environment that sprouts leaders and flushes turds (quote SJ) rapidly.

It may be unrealistic to think that the new offensive protection and defensive patches will evolve to a playoff team this season. Especially with the huge question mark at QB. But I'm certainly not going to bet against it.

This is the NEW NFL, where anything is possible.

Last place teams one year can with their division the next.

4-12 teams can turn into 9-7 teams the next year (2004/2005 Dolphins).

Nothing is too crazy and nothing is impossible.

Believe.

2006: 9-7 with a shot at a playoff spot.

BZ

Lets not get carried away! The rebuilding process is going to take some time. Yes, the Jets did have a nice draft but they still have a lot of holes to fill. As far as I am concerned they need a speed reciever, which they have not had since Wesley Walker; they need a all purpose cutting running back alla Lawrence Mahoney, the draft pick of the Patriots;a Tightend with good hands and blocking skills, not this duo combination which we have at present; an I still believe the Jets should have drafted another OT,for example Ryan O'Callaghan from USC. We have not talked about the defensive side of the ball were we need a playmaker at LB or DT and a lockdown corner. So , the talk of reaching the playoff in a division were the Patriots and Dolphins are obviously the class act, is exaggerated! Give it three more years and then we can talk about this again.

P.S. The playoff reentry time frame will be determine by the development

of the draft picks and the undrafted free agents!

I don't want excuses but I do want reasonable expectations, anywhere from 6-10 - 8-8 is fine this year. The first 8 games will be ugly. We have tons of new personell and a new rookie coaching staff. THere will be a lot of growing and mistakes. What I am hoping is they will be non repeatable mistakes. The team should start to gel the 2nd half but we need to be patient. We cant all panic when Dbrick gets schooled in the Giants preseason game.

The good things we will see this year are that they will be prepared. They will not lose games becuase of bone head decisions with the clock. They will be in shape (or fined or cut). THey will play smart and nasty. These are all good things and should be fun to watch the development, but rome was not built in a day and niether will this team. As stated before in this thread the OL will need time to gel and learn each others tendicies. You cannot expect 3 new guys to join the line and have them execute pulls flawlessly out of the box. Pass blocking will be better and straight ahead run blocking should be better but all the little nuances will need to develop over time.

THe Defenses may take longer than the O. Switching to the 3 4 will mean unlearning a lot of things. Pouha and or Drob will really have to step it up to become the stopper up the middle. BT will need to learn a whole new position. Vilma will thrive but who will play next to him? THe secondary will nedd to step it up big time. We dont have a closedown cover corner.

WIll we be better than last year, and will we enjoy it more, hell ya. If it takes 10 wins to get to the playoffs this year (not unreasonable in the AFC) we will not compete for the playoffs this year. Just have reasonable expectations, and enjoy the development.

I expect this team to make a run at those Playoffs and anything short of that will be a failure.

You're joking, right?:eek:

The Jets have an entire new coaching staff. That means totally new schemes on both sides of the football.

They will have two rookies starting on the OLine. Now matter how good Ferguson and Mangold will be, rookies make rookie mistakes.

The Jets have no proven RB's. And please spare me the 34-year old CuMar "is a proven NFL RB" crap. Old RB's do not make it in the NFL.

The Jets QB situation is a complete mess with a ton of unanswered question marks at the most important position on the field.

The Jets defense was ranked 29th in the NFL versus the run. The same losers who couldn't stop the run are back, minus a Pro Bowl DE. No improvement whatsoever in this area.

The Jets secondary is still very weak. Add to this the loss of a CB who contributed 10 picks and it is weaker yet going into the season.

With that said, how the hell do you think the Jets can "contend for the Super Bowl and be a playoff team" in 2006?:eek:

And you wonder why Pats fans post here and make fun of Jet fans.

If the Jets finish the season at 8-8, it will be a great year.

I suppose Bellichick should've been fired after going 5-11 in 2000. Or maybe, right after a 5-11 season, he should've been fired when NE started out 2001 0-2 including an opening-day loss to the Bengals (who finished 2000 with an even worse record at 4-12).

This team does not have Orlando Pace (entering his 3rd season), Kurt Warner (from out of nowhere), Isaac Bruce-Torry Holt-AzHakim at WR, Marshall Faulk in his prime, Todd Lyght, Kevin Carter, Leonard Little, etc to make a 4-12 to 13-3 jump.

All I want to see is:

• the rookies not look like rookies all season long
  • not lose games we should've won by clock-management blunders & predictability
  • not win games by 1-3 points against teams we should've blown away
  • creativity without stupidity (no HB options when we're driving down the field with ease, changing of schemes for different opponents, etc)
  • Clemens getting some playing-time by late-season unless Ramsey surprises & looks great.

If that is accomplished by year's end, we could be a dangerous team by the 2007 season.

You're joking, right?:eek:

The Jets have an entire new coaching staff. That means totally new schemes on both sides of the football.

"Been done before and with a so called nitwit as the HC".

They will have two rookies starting on the OLine. Now matter how good Ferguson and Mangold will be, rookies make rookie mistakes.

"Who would you rather have as the starting LT going into the season,Jason Fabini with a bad back,"The Best LT prospect in decades" Brick Ferguson or a Kid who actually has NFL Experience at LT and showed marked improvement over the course of his 1st season at the position".

The Jets have no proven RB's. And please spare me the 34-year old CuMar "is a proven NFL RB" crap. Old RB's do not make it in the NFL.

The Jets QB situation is a complete mess with a ton of unanswered question marks at the most important position on the field.

"The Jets had an even worst QB situation Last yr,and it didn't stop Jet fans from claiming that the team should make the SB.As far as the RBs go,we have about 7 including Curtis and Blaylock .The steelers found Willie Parker in the trash and he led them to a SB".

The Jets defense was ranked 29th in the NFL versus the run. The same losers who couldn't stop the run are back, minus a Pro Bowl DE. No improvement whatsoever in this area.

"The defense is Improved to play the 43 defense with the addition of Von olhoffen(sp).It's the coach's responsibility to play to the strength of his team,not the weakness or so i was told for 5 yr".

The Jets secondary is still very weak. Add to this the loss of a CB who contributed 10 picks and it is weaker yet going into the season.

"Ty law was a shell of his former self,with most of his ints coming on tip balls .The guy was out of shape the majority of the yr.The Jets added a younger CB with NFL starting experience who has played the position well combined with the youngsters having 1 yr of experience on the field and in the conditioning program and you sit here telling me about being weaker".

With that said, how the hell do you think the Jets can "contend for the Super Bowl and be a playoff team" in 2006?:eek:

"Exactly where did i said the Jets should contend for the SB.I said the Jets should make a run at the playoffs,and if they fall short with an 8-8 season,I would consider that a successful season.It seems reading comprehension is a problem for some folks".

And you wonder why Pats fans post here and make fun of Jet fans.

"This is a conversation between Jet fans who saw the outcome of last season a certain way without consideration for the most important position on the team,that being the QB position.This has nothing to do with you TX,so go away".

If the Jets finish the season at 8-8, it will be a great year.

"I agree so what's your point.Know when to pick your battles.This is not a tread about Chad Pennington or Dwayne Robertson".

I agree so what's your point.Know when to pick your battles.This is not a tread about Chad Pennington or Dwayne Robertson.

If you agree, then why did you start a thread about the Jets making the playoffs?

And who said anything about PennyBoy and DFat?

Tinny still mourning Hermie huh?? Keep in mind that the only reason DRob started was because Josh Evans failed the drug test! As for the other Rookies starting on D that was Henderson not the Iron chef! If you want to be fair(Which I know you don't want to be) You should say Hermie won 10 games in 01 1 more then Groh did with a QB that hadn't played in a year! So if Mangini wins 5 that would be 1 more win in his first year!

However I do agree with you! Mangini is a "Real" HC whose a student of the Game! He has more football knowledge in his little finger then the Flim Flam Man had in his Gasbag of BS!! I say they win a minimum of 8 games! And that's even if Chad don't play! This staff will have the Best Players on the field! The Days of Whine and Stat padding are gone..Our Goal is the Super Bowl!:cheers:

Hold the horses for a second. I've said I'd give this staff 2-3 years to get their feet on the ground. New GM, new HC, new OC, new DC and a plethora of new asst. coaches. Sorry, as much as I would like to see it, I don't...too many pieces to fit so soon. Can it be done? Perhaps, but the odds are against it...and I didn't even mention the players executing this stuff.

That's it, in a nurshell. There are so many new things that need to jell, it will take all season long until everything is in place AND running smoothly.

I can see a run towards a .500 record. I do not see any possibility at a playoff run in 2006, unless every break goes the Jets way. And I mean EVERY break.

New offensive schemes, new defensive schemes, new players, new coaches.

To just look at players and say that everything seems similar to last year and heap expectations, is not a fair thing.

Here is one expectation that we can make a strong judgement on for this staff. Compare games 1 and 2, with games 15 and 16. The team should be much better by 15 and 16 and playing cohesively, competitively and with desire.

If the team achieved that by the end of the year, with something that is left to build upon, the staff will have done a good job for year 1.

Tinstar's next two thread topics:

"Curtis Martin Will Rush For 1,500 Yards"

"Coles and McCariens Will Each Have 1,200 Yards Receiving"

The Martin for 1500 would be more like Bit! We have a bet about Martin breaking Emmitt's rushing Total! All Martin needs is 1419 yds for the next 3 years to do it!!:yahoo:

Tinstar's next two thread topics:

"Curtis Martin Will Rush For 1,500 Yards"

"Coles and McCariens Will Each Have 1,200 Yards Receiving"

See,this is exactly what i mean.

I gotta be the only Jet fan who said that Curtis,Chad and Mawae should have been cut if Herman Edwards wasn't returning as the HC.As for Coles and JMac oh well,maybe one day they will get a QB capable of allowing them that Luxury.

Archived