Examining the Jets/Position by Position

Tinstar2

Before the start of Camp,let's take a look at the 2006 Jets and see what we may have.We start at the QB position.

QBs:

Chad Pennington _ The big question mark at the position is what will this player be able to contribute .Coming off his second shoulder surgery in as many yrs,this player still holds the key to any success the team may have in 2006 in the eyes of most fans.

Patrick Ramsey _ The big enigma at the position due to the fact that he has yet to come remotely near to fullfilling the investment of a player chosen in the 1st round.This player has the size,the arm and the build,but for varrying reasons,hasn't gotten it done and could be on his last go around with the Jets.

Brooks Bollinger _ The longshot almost forgotten man.This player got much needed game experience last yr due to injuries and proved to be a gamer.He also proved that he lacked a solid feel for the passing game.It almost appeared like every game was a learning experience as to where to place the ball in certain situations especially when the team got into scoring position.Still due to his mobility,he gies the Jets an option at QB that none of his other 2 veterans teamates provide.

Kellen Clements _ The future if you are to believe all the glowing reports from analysis and the coaching staff and front office.Short in stature but big with the leadership ability and the ability to execute,the team and it's fans are hoping that this beleaguered franchise has finally found the QB that this team has been searching for since Joe Namath.

There's potential here for the Jets to finally fix a problem that has haunted this franchise for yrs.The Jets have experience options,and promise at the QB position.The dirty word "Potential" rears it's ugly head at this position.It's the opinion of this fan,that 1 additional QB is needed for the developmental taxi squad .It's 4 seasons since Chad Pennington broke his Wrist in a preseason game against the Giants,and 4 seasons Later,he remains the hope for a successful Jet season even as he attempts to return from an injury that has ruined the Careers of some once promising NFL QBs.The Jets had the option of taking the successfull USC QB Matt Leinart with their 1st round pick,and passed.They had the option of taking Vandy star crossed QB Jay Cutler and Passed.The Jets once had the chance to take HOF QB Dan Marino and also passed .

This Fan hope the Jets have finally gotten it right.Thoughts

The Jets will enter camp with a diverse group of RBs ranging from as old as Curtis Martin who is 33 to a bunch of 23 yr old hopefulls with much potential.

Curtis Martin _ The ancient one who i believed should have been released with the start of a new regime.Coming off injury,he hopes to regain the form that allowed him to lead the league in rushing no more than 2 seasons ago.Fat Chance of that happening.

Derrick Blaylock _ A player the former regime brought in to add that change of Pace and to replace the departed Lamont Jordan.He fell to the injury bug and never really got to showcase the talent he displayed in Kansas city.With all the new talent around,this player could end up being a casualty of the Numbers game when you take into consideration his age and cap value.

Cedric Houston _ Filled in admirably for Martin last yr,but with his recent injury to his hand,he may also find making the roster a problem.Player displayed power and desire something that has been missing on the Jets in short yardage situations for some time.

B J Askew _ what to make of him is the problem.When a player doesn't accept his role in the grand scheme of the teams plans,he usually find himself on the outside looking in.Either Askew accepts the FB job and go at it with the passion he displays in wanting to be considered a TB,or he's history as a Jet.

Leon Washington _ Intriguing is the only way to look at this player.He brings the type of skills that haven't been seen around the Jets since a guy by the name of Bruce Harper.He's alot stronger than Harper was,which may aid him as he works to gain the confidence of the coaching staff in his ability to be an every down back.

Vying for the attention of the coaching at FB and RB will be a bunch on youngsters including NM record setting TB Dontrell Moore .Let's just say i hope this kid gets every chance to stick.Stacy Tutt Luke Lawton and Terry butler are the remaining hopefulls vying for a roster spot.All bring an impressive college resume to the table but have little chance even thou the former spider signal caller is intriguing.

If the Jets are infact rebuilding,then it's the opinion of this fan that Curtis Martin and Derrick Blaylock be released and the RB position be handed over to a group including Houston,Washington and Moore.Furthermore,I would move 2 of the TEs currently on the roster to the FB/HB position and send Askew packing.The 2 TE prospects I have in mind are James dearth all 270lbs of him and Jason Pociask roughly about the same size onlyalot younger.But that's just me. Thoughts

Brooks Bollinger _ The longshot almost forgotten man.This player got much needed game experience last yr due to injuries and proved to be a gamer.He also proved that he lacked a solid feel for the passing game.It almost appeared like every game was a learning experience as to where to place the ball in certain situations especially when the team got into scoring position.Still due to his mobility,he gies the Jets an option at QB that none of his other 2 veterans teamates provide.

You need a solid o-line to have a solid feel for the passing game.

It was amazing he did what he did, running for his life on each and every play.

And you are right about the mobility issue, it a must, Bolly has it, the others don't.

There are going to be some very surprised people when they see who starts for the jets this year.

There was a time when i thought Bollinger had a chance in the NFL.Then i watched as he made the same mistake in 3 different games with a pass into the endzone from inside the red zone.

If the Dinger could have gotten away with it,he would have shot Bollinger.

There was a time when i thought Bollinger had a chance in the NFL.Then i watched as he made the same mistake in 3 different games with a pass into the endzone from inside the red zone.

If the Dinger could have gotten away with it,he would have shot Bollinger.

If Dinger could have got away with it, he would have put Bollinger in the SHOTGUN and shot Herm with a gun (for his ultra-conservative playcalling). Yeah, I'll agree with that.

As the season wore on it became obvious, after Bollinger hit long-bomb after long-bomb, that Bolly had a better arm than anybody ever thought.

The mobility is just icing on the cake.

People in my neck of the woods, refered to Bollinger's arm as THE BOLLY ROCKET.

Let's just see who wins the qb battle in camp. I already know.

If Dinger could have got away with it, he would have put Bollinger in the SHOTGUN and shot Herm with a gun (for his ultra-conservative playcalling). Yeah, I'll agree with that.

As the season wore on it became obvious, after Bollinger hit long-bomb after long-bomb, that Bolly had a better arm than anybody ever thought.

The mobility is just icing on the cake.

People in my neck of the woods, refered to Bollinger's arm as THE BOLLY ROCKET.

Let's just see who wins the qb battle in camp. I already know.

Dude,herm doesn't call Plays,he doesn't know Xs and Os from a Bolly Rocket;)

curtis martin is not done yet - mark my words! he's gonna break that record - as a Jet! Savage 69 knows what I am talking about! :box:

Listen, everyone and their mother knows we ain't going to no SB next season...the only reason why CM is hanging around is for stats...he's (CM) lying if he states otherwise.

And what do you mean by "is not done yet"...he may be serviceable, but he won't be the type of back defensive coordinators make and point out that this is the guy we have to stop.

Listen, everyone and their mother knows we ain't going to no SB next season...the only reason why CM is hanging around is for stats...he's (CM) lying if he states otherwise.

And what do you mean by "is not done yet"...he may be serviceable, but he won't be the type of back defensive coordinators make and point out that this is the guy we have to stop.

I dont understand why people doubt Curtis.

Curtis aint Gale Sayers...but I'll wager he has 1,200 total yds this year.

BTW, Tinstar, thanks for the post. I was wondering though....are you YJF's evil twin brother?

curtis martin is not done yet - mark my words! he's gonna break that record - as a Jet! Savage 69 knows what I am talking about! :box:

I'm really thinking of letting you slide when I win and adding money so you can get the proper Psychiatric help you so desperately need!!:eek:

Before the start of Camp,let's take a look at the 2006 Jets and see what we may have.We start at the QB position.

QBs:

Chad Pennington _ The big question mark at the position is what will this player be able to contribute .Coming off his second shoulder surgery in as many yrs,this player still holds the key to any success the team may have in 2006 in the eyes of most fans.

Patrick Ramsey _ The big enigma at the position due to the fact that he has yet to come remotely near to fullfilling the investment of a player chosen in the 1st round.This player has the size,the arm and the build,but for varrying reasons,hasn't gotten it done and could be on his last go around with the Jets.

Kellen Clements _ The future if you are to believe all the glowing reports from analysis and the coaching staff and front office.Short in stature but big with the leadership ability and the ability to execute,the team and it's fans are hoping that this beleaguered franchise has finally found the QB that this team has been searching for since Joe Namath.

There's potential here for the Jets to finally fix a problem that has haunted this franchise for yrs.The Jets have experience options,and promise at the QB position.The dirty word "Potential" rears it's ugly head at this position.It's the opinion of this fan,that 1 additional QB is needed for the developmental taxi squad .It's 4 seasons since Chad Pennington broke his Wrist in a preseason game against the Giants,and 4 seasons Later,he remains the hope for a successful Jet season even as he attempts to return from an injury that has ruined the Careers of some once promising NFL QBs.The Jets had the option of taking the successfull USC QB Matt Leinart with their 1st round pick,and passed.They had the option of taking Vandy star crossed QB Jay Cutler and Passed.The Jets once had the chance to take HOF QB Dan Marino and also passed .

This Fan hope the Jets have finally gotten it right.Thoughts

The Jets have two first round quarterbacks on their roster in Pennington and Ramsey. Clemens is a 2nd round pick. It's Clemens not Clements.

My guess is that Brooks Bollinger will make this team and The Jets will carry 4 QB's because of Pennington's iffy status. Even if Chad's healthy by camp, what if he goes down again. Jets need insurance. I see Bollinger as more of backup than a front line starter. His starting experience in 05 helps him.

Brooks could be cut or traded by the end of the summer. If Pennington proves to be healthy and effective. You have to cover yourself in case of injuries. You can never have enough players at any position. God forbid but what if two Jets QB's get hurt. Then what???..... Call Vinny again.

The Jets will enter camp with a diverse group of RBs ranging from as old as Curtis Martin who is 33 to a bunch of 23 yr old hopefulls with much potential.

Curtis Martin _ The ancient one who i believed should have been released with the start of a new regime.Coming off injury,he hopes to regain the form that allowed him to lead the league in rushing no more than 2 seasons ago.Fat Chance of that happening.

Derrick Blaylock _ A player the former regime brought in to add that change of Pace and to replace the departed Lamont Jordan.He fell to the injury bug and never really got to showcase the talent he displayed in Kansas city.With all the new talent around,this player could end up being a casualty of the Numbers game when you take into consideration his age and cap value.

Cedric Houston _ Filled in admirably for Martin last yr,but with his recent injury to his hand,he may also find making the roster a problem.Player displayed power and desire something that has been missing on the Jets in short yardage situations for some time.

B J Askew _ what to make of him is the problem.When a player doesn't accept his role in the grand scheme of the teams plans,he usually find himself on the outside looking in.Either Askew accepts the FB job and go at it with the passion he displays in wanting to be considered a TB,or he's history as a Jet.

Leon Washington _ Intriguing is the only way to look at this player.He brings the type of skills that haven't been seen around the Jets since a guy by the name of Bruce Harper.He's alot stronger than Harper was,which may aid him as he works to gain the confidence of the coaching staff in his ability to be an every down back.

Vying for the attention of the coaching at FB and RB will be a bunch on youngsters including NM record setting TB Dontrell Moore .Let's just say i hope this kid gets every chance to stick.Stacy Tutt Luke Lawton and Terry butler are the remaining hopefulls vying for a roster spot.All bring an impressive college resume to the table but have little chance even thou the former spider signal caller is intriguing.

If the Jets are infact rebuilding,then it's the opinion of this fan that Curtis Martin and Derrick Blaylock be released and the RB position be handed over to a group including Houston,Washington and Moore.Furthermore,I would move 2 of the TEs currently on the roster to the FB/HB position and send Askew packing.The 2 TE prospects I have in mind are James dearth all 270lbs of him and Jason Pociask roughly about the same size onlyalot younger.But that's just me. Thoughts

I appreciate the effort here tinstar so I am going to respond to your posts.

Martin's spot on The 2006 roster is safe and if he could end up being the starter by default. It's going to be a commitee deal regardless and The Jets have different types of talents at RB. All with different qualities. Each guy will get a different role. Leon Washington has Warrick Dunn type skills. He'll be utilized. Blaylock of the projected backups has the most feature back experience. The jury is still out on Houston and Askew's job is on the line. How much of a role does FB play on The Jets in 06 and Pociask could steal a roster spot as a FB/TE/H-Back tweener.

The Jets have two first round quarterbacks on their roster in Pennington and Ramsey. Clemens is a 2nd round pick. It's Clemens not Clements.

My guess is that Brooks Bollinger will make this team and The Jets will carry 4 QB's because of Pennington's iffy status. Even if Chad's healthy by camp, what if he goes down again. Jets need insurance. I see Bollinger as more of backup than a front line starter. His starting experience in 05 helps him.

Brooks could be cut or traded by the end of the summer. If Pennington proves to be healthy and effective. You have to cover yourself in case of injuries. You can never have enough players at any position. God forbid but what if two Jets QB's get hurt. Then what???..... Call Vinny again.

Vinny has a Red Phone now by his Couch! It's only connected to KC and the Worm known as Herm!!:D

I honestly expect Mangini and Co to release/trade Blaylock and give more carries to the younger guys on the squad excluding Martin as one of the younger guys.

I think, Westhoff will put up a fight for Blaylock because of his special teams ability as a lead blocker on kick returns. Blaylock showed his worth when he sprung Miller for a TD against Buffalo late last season. It may seem like a small role but that could keep Derrick on the roster. If someone else takes that role and the other runners out perform Blaylock. Then he could be cut.

Sig bet?

Bottle of liquor bet? <DING,DING,DING,DING,DING!!!!!!>

Name your poison..Keep in Mind for He who farts dust to get 1200 yds at his Career avg of 4 ypc he'll need 300 carries this season! To give you what Emmitt Smith and Walter Payton did at 33..Smith 254 carries 975 yds with Dallas and Payton 146 carries and 533 yds!:cheers:

Name your poison..Keep in Mind for He who farts dust to get 1200 yds at his Career avg of 4 ypc he'll need 300 carries this season! To give you what Emmitt Smith and Walter Payton did at 33..Smith 254 carries 975 yds with Dallas and Payton 146 carries and 533 yds!:cheers:

And both of them had the same problem Curtis had last year. An offensive line totalled by injuries and age.

I don't know if Curtis is done. I do know that Jim Brown couldn't have gotten 700 yards behind that line last year. If the season starts and CM is obviously slow and behind the pace, then he needs to be replaced. Until then, none of us know how much he has left in the tank.

I prefer Jaigermeister.

And both of them had the same problem Curtis had last year. An offensive line totalled by injuries and age.

I don't know if Curtis is done. I do know that Jim Brown couldn't have gotten 700 yards behind that line last year.

We agree on Brown but for pete's sake he's in his 60's..If your talking in his prime he would have!:cool:

Done Deal to bad you wont get to drink it!!:rolleyes:

What are we talking? $20-$30 bottles(we do ahve to mail them)? What are you drinking?

I should have asked for odds, but I think Curtis will cement his HOF legacy this year with 1,000 + total yds!! 1,200 is a reach, but dems da breaks!!!

:cheers: , it's a bet, Savage! Remember...total yards. Curtis has always been a pass-catching machine, ya know.:rolleyes:

:cheers: , CURTIS!!!!!!!!!

What are we talking? $20-$30 bottles(we do ahve to mail them)? What are you drinking?

I should have asked for odds, but I think Curtis will cement his HOF legacy this year with 1,000 + total yds!! 1,200 is a reach, but dems da breaks!!!

:cheers: , it's a bet, Savage! Remember...total yards. Curtis has always been a pass-catching machine, ya know.:rolleyes:

:cheers: , CURTIS!!!!!!!!!

Pass catching?? In that case Jordan had almost 1600 yds last year and he only had 272 carries!! But what the hell I'll let you add and pad receiving also! Padding Stat's and Martin! Perfect together!:cheers:

Pass catching?? In that case Jordan had almost 1600 yds last year and he only had 272 carries!! But what the hell I'll let you add and pad receiving also! Padding Stat's and Martin! Perfect together!:cheers:

Curtis is often confused with a young M.Faulk. This is a known fact.

Curtis is often confused with a young M.Faulk. This is a known fact.

Martin is often confused with a Back worth that huge Contract! Here's a clue..He's not! But to compare him to Faulk?? You hitting that Jaigermeister early today?? In 99 Faulk had 1381 yds rushing and a 5.5 ypc avg and over 80catches for 1,048 yds receiving! That's a total of 2,429 total! When did Martin ever match that??:rolleyes:

Martin is often confused with a Back worth that huge Contract! Here's a clue..He's not! But to compare him to Faulk?? You hitting that Jaigermeister early today?? In 99 Faulk had 1381 yds rushing and a 5.5 ypc avg and over 80catches for 1,048 yds receiving! That's a total of 2,429 total! When did Martin ever match that??:rolleyes:

Do I have to put <insert sarcasm> into all my posts?

Examining the Jets Qb and RB situations:

2006 NY Jets QB Depth Chart:

1. Patrick Ramsey (Crap)

2. Chad Pennington (Broke Crap)

3. Kellen Clemens (New Crap)

4. Brooks Bollinger (Crap Concentrate)

2006 NY Jets RB Depth Chart:

1. Curtis Martin (Old Part-Timer)

2. Derrick Blaylock (Crap)

3. Cedric Houston (Broke Crap)

4. Leon Washinton (New and Improved Broke Crap Concentrate)

Good thing we used the #29 pick overall on Nick Mangold. What new position is he being moved to? Guard? Tackle? The guy is supposed to be a center and they're having him play every other position on the line besides the one he has experience one. Good job.

The only word that comes to mind is change.The OL of the NYJets was responsible for the lost of 2 QBs last yr,almost got Brooks Bollinger hospitalized and gave Vinny Testaverde reason to seriously consider retirement permanantly.In an effort to protect the fragile QB situation that now exist with the Jets changes were made via the draft and freeagency

Gone is former LT Jason Fabini,OC Kevin Mawae and once again,it appears that Adrian Jones the player who ended the season as the starting LT will be moved to RT where he will battle a slew of challengers for a starting nod.

Presently the Jets have 15 candidates vying for a roster spot of some kind .The list is spare headed by 2006 1st round draft picks D'Brickashaw Ferguson already pencilled in as the starting LT,and Nick Mangold who's expected to challenge former Bills starting OC Trey Teague for the position formerly held by Kevin Mawae.The remaining members of the expected starting lineup figure to be Adrian Jones at RT,Brandon Moore at RG and the age old vet Pete Kendall at LG.This is the way the revamped OL figure to shake out,but with the amount of Players and the coaching staff desire to play the best players,things may not work out this way.

Vying for an opportunity to crack the starting lineup are hold overs Doug Nienhuis,Mike King and Isacc Snell all OGs,Steve Morley a player aquired via trade with the Packers and signed by the former regime,Marko Cavka a former draft pick,Anthony Clements a veteran starting OT and UDRFA Ed Blanton and intriguing huge prospect who was a mainstay in the UCLA Bruins OL all at the OT position.Norm Katnik and Charles Missant currently playing in NFL Europe will do their best at OC to catch the eye of the coaching staff in the battle with Mangold and Teague.

Here's the thing that intriguing to me about this group.Clements is a vet,but he's a journeyman who at 30yrs old may have seen his best football already.Gotta tell you,it wasn't that good to begin with.Cavka is having his troubles gaining a starting assignment in NFL Europe,which speaks volumes.Teague is a valuable player because he can play virtually anywhere along the OL,but he's 31 and have spent the last few yrs at OC which add yrs to your football life.Blanton,now this player is someone that has interest me even before the draft.At one point i had this player as someone i wanted the Jets to take with a 2nd day pick.This guy is huge,but he has great feet.Morley Snell and the remaining camp fodder figure to be just that unless the coaching staff is stunned by some display consistently.

The way this fan see it,I would get the starting OL ready with Ferguson,Kendall,Mangold,Moore and Jones.I would make Teague the primary backup,and keep 3 or 4 others.My choice would be Morley,the better of King,Nienhuis and Snell and 1 of the 2 centers.Blanton would be a late cut with plans to put him on the PS along with the 2 losers at OG and the loser at OC.Cavka and Clements i would cut because both players are excess at a position OT where i believe I could use Ferguson,Jones,Morley,Mangold or Teague if the need should arise interchangeably.The Players I chose,gives the team the best mixture of experience,youth and diversity along the OL.

Thoughts.

Archived