Punter signs for 6 yrs

Tinstar2

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2452777

Updated: May 21, 2006, 11:15 AM ET

Jets punter Graham signs six-year extension

By Len Pasquarelli

ESPN.com

Second-year punter Ben Graham, who had a standout season for the New York Jets in 2005 as a 32-year-old rookie, has signed a long-term contract extension with the team.

Ben Grahams7473.jpgPunter

New York Jets

Profile2005 SEASON STATISTICSPuntsAvgIn 20In 10BlkLong7443.7187059

The six-year deal runs through the 2011 season. While complete financial details were not yet available, the contract is believed to have a total potential value of more than $5 million.

"It was really a hands-down [decision] for us," Graham told the Sydney (Australia) Morning Herald. "They made an offer and we just said, 'We'll take it.' I'm excited that I'm going to be punting for the New York Jets in the best city in America for the next six years."

Graham signed with the Jets last year after playing 12 season of Australian Rules Football, where he was one of the biggest stars in the game. The former Geelong standout, who also played for Australia in some international competitions, sent a videotape highlight cassette to several NFL teams two years ago. Jets special teams coach Mike Westhoff, realizing the strength of Graham's leg, suggested the team grant him an audition and he was subsequently signed to a minimum contract.

He figures to earn a lot more than a minimum salary over the next six seasons.

Ironically, the Jets were one of several NFL teams that had attempted to lure Graham to America as far back as the late 1990s, but he chose to remain in Australia. But inspired by the success of Darren Bennett, a fellow Australian who had a long and productive career with the San Diego Chargers and was awarded with two Pro Bowl berths, Graham finally made the move.

"It was a little unnerving, because there were no guarantees," Graham said late last season. "But if I was going to do it, time was running out, and I just decided it was worth the chance."

In his first NFL season, Graham punted 74 times for a gross average of 43.7 yards and a net average of 37.9 yards. Both those averages rated sixth-best in the AFC. Graham also registered a 3-to-1 ratio (18-6) of punts inside the 20-yard line to touchbacks. Opponents returned 36 of his punts for an 8.5-yard average, which was slightly higher than the league norm of 8.1 yards. Graham said near the end of his first season that he wanted to work on improving his hang time and his directional punting skills in the offseason.

You mean that aging, declining kicker who had a FG percentage of 50% in the playoffs since 2003?

Yea, when you lose players of that caliber, it really kills your team.:eek:

TX, you can down play it all you want...as the season progresses, you guys will wish you had him back...close games won by the Pats will no longer be an option. You never realize how much you missed something until it's no longer there...they didn't come up with that saying for the hell of it.

TX, you can down play it all you want...as the season progresses, you guys will wish you had him back...close games won by the Pats will no longer be an option. You never realize how much you missed something until it's no longer there...they didn't come up with that saying for the hell of it.

Come on FL, you make it sound like AV nailed 55-yard, game winning FG's week in and week out for the Pats.

The guy did what he was paid to do, split the friggn' uprights.

Outside of the greatest kick in the history of the NFL versus the Raiders in the snow bowl, he did what any other kicker in the NFL would be expected to do.

A 47 and 41-yard game winning FG in the Super Bowl (both kicks took place indoors with no weather elements) is what all kickers are expected to do.

If AV didn't choke on that 39-yarder against the Broncos last year, that game could have very easily turned out differently.

And what's his FG percentage in the Super Bowl?

He is only a 66.7% FG kicker in Super Bowl games.

His two misses versus the Panthers were the reason that game was so close to begin with.

Would you want a kicker who hits only 66.7% of his kicks in the biggest game in the NFL to be your kicker?

You guys vastly over rate the importance of AV to the Pats.

You mean that aging, declining kicker who had a FG percentage of 50% in the playoffs since 2003?

Yea, when you lose players of that caliber, it really kills your team.:eek:

At the rate that franchise is falling apart 50% accuracy in the postseason won't matter. Because they won't be there.

Hey TX,are you gonna refer to Tom Brady as the Pillow biting son of a *itch that he is once he's no longer a Patriot also.

If Brady's performance falls off in the next several years (highly unlikely), I will be the first Pats fan calling for his head.

Unlike Jet fans, Pats fans know when a player is history.

Right Savage.;)

If Brady's performance falls off in the next several years (highly unlikely), I will be the first Pats fan calling for his head.

Right Savage.;)

Dumbass. The Jets players don't decline. They just suck from the day they were drafted.

Right Savage.;)

And a Big Amen to that Brother Tex!!:cheers:

Right Savage.;)

What's he sayn' there Savage? Are you a Pats fan...damn, you had me fooled.:eek:

What's he sayn' there Savage? Are you a Pats fan...damn, you had me fooled.:eek:

No, Savage gets it.;)

It's all about winning the Super Bowl.

Nothing else matters, backing into the playoffs and stroking your pud, doesn't cut it.

It's all about winning championships.;)

No, Savage gets it.;)

Nothing else matters, backing into the playoffs and stroking your pud, doesn't cut it.

Give me a freaken break will you TX...I was yanking your damn chain...I've known Savage personally for years. Savage, Senior and I are going to the Jets opener verses the Pats...why don't you join us...we don't bite.:rolleyes:

No, Savage gets it.;)

That's the Ticket Tex..Like Lombardi said;Winning isn't everything..It's the ONLY thing!:cheers:

Give me a freaken break will you TX...I was yanking your damn chain...I've known Savage personally for years. Savage, Senior and I are going to the Jets opener verses the Pats...why don't you join us...we don't bite.:rolleyes:

I know you were FL.

I have the utmost respect for Savage, SR and yourself.

I'd love to enjoy a game with the 3 of you.

Archived