Beltran, everything Arod is not

GREENSMACKS

You could/can get away saying that any day other than today.

A-rod (to his own surprise) had the biggest hit of the game.

and good for Beltran, he's on my fantasy team. Didn't he get a stolen base earlier today as well?

Beltran is a star who was mislabled as guy who couldn't handle NY last year as he played through injuries.

He also seems to be oblivious to post season pressure as displayed in 2003. Expect his usual 25 Hr - 100 RBI- 100 Runs - 25 SB season with excellent defense.

This HR didn't make Beltran worth his pay, but it certainly is going a long way towards him being embraced by NY fans and media. That's important.

There were other heroes in last night's 16 inning classic, however. Jose Reyes somehow hitting a pitch nearly in the dirt out of the yard on a line. Endy Chavez beating out a 2 out base hit in 1986 Game 6-like fashion to keep the game alive. Wagner coming through despite pitching in a non-save scenario (we all know what he did last time he was called in to perform in a non-save situation). Darren Oliver, of all people, pitching 4 shutout innings in extras.

It may be May, but this was a pretty big win. Along with a nice morale boost, the lead in the East is now extended to 5 games instead of being shortened to 3, and the Mets also picked up a game on the Braves in the process. Not bad.

This HR didn't make Beltran worth his pay, but it certainly is going a long way towards him being embraced by NY fans and media. That's important.

There were other heroes in last night's 16 inning classic, however. Jose Reyes somehow hitting a pitch nearly in the dirt out of the yard on a line. Endy Chavez beating out a 2 out base hit in 1986 Game 6-like fashion to keep the game alive. Wagner coming through despite pitching in a non-save scenario (we all know what he did last time he was called in to perform in a non-save situation). Darren Oliver, of all people, pitching 4 shutout innings in extras.

This was the real hero of the game. This was the most unexpected happening of the game.

BTW - congrats to Beltran. Maybe those foolish fans who booed you during your 1st AB of the season will finally get over it.

• 3 weeks later...
Beltran may just be the best all around CF in the game.

Can't believe some thought he couldn't play in NY.

I can't believe that I, the Yankee fan, although I admit VERY critically of Beltran and yes did make fun of his **** stats, did point out that the 2nd year is the year to judge how someone does in New York. It's proven. The 2nd year, if that player is to succeed in NY, will be the year they get back into the regular swing of things. The pressure is easier to deal with after a year.

I made this post on a different board about Beltran. I made this post on the same day as this topic was started(5/24):

David Wright has been great for us, and the kid has the potential to be a GREAT player. Carlos Delgado has been better than most of us expected him to be, and that is saying alot.

With all that said, Carlos Beltran is the best player on this team IMO

First of all, his fielding/arm is definately in the B+ range i think, but that has really never been questioned about him. The guy is a very good fielder.

But have you guys really taken a look at the numbers he's been posting? Lemme just throw out some numbers:

3ed in runs(29)

2nd in HR's(12)

2nd in RBI's(31)

1st in Walks(28)

3ed in Stolen Bases(7)(never caught)

1st in on base %(.391)

1st in Slugging %(.603)

Now when you look these over, these numbers are impressive, but whats even more impressive is that he has missed 10 out of a possible 44 games and still posted these numbers. Imagine his numbers if he never missed a game. He would be first in HR's, RBI's, 2nd in stolen bases, and 1st or 2nd in runs.

People need to really start appreciating what this guy is doing.

THAT WAS ON 5/24, and now the guy has 17HR's and will probably have around 35 HR's and 120 RBI's at the end of the season.

This guy is the best player on this team, but i think David Wright will eventually take that position in the coming years :)

eLOT

I can't believe that I, the Yankee fan, although I admit VERY critically of Beltran and yes did make fun of his **** stats, did point out that the 2nd year is the year to judge how someone does in New York. It's proven. The 2nd year, if that player is to succeed in NY, will be the year they get back into the regular swing of things. The pressure is easier to deal with after a year.

Good call 124.

He was hurting physically last year but most Yank fans would have none of it and labeled him a bust signing. You don't have the play-off series he had in Houston and not be able to handle NY.

Like I have always said, he's a star.

Archived