Derek Jeter Will Surpass Pete Rose

Maxman

Not for the worst hair in baseball history. For the most hits.

At his current pace Jeter will have 3,280 hits when he is 37 years old. If he played until he was 43, he would have to average 150 hits a season in his last season years.

Impossible? Pete Rose average 155 hits from the age 38 - 43. And Pete did it in the NL without the benefit of the DH. Certainly Jeter would have to switch from Shortstop in order to play that long.

Long shot? Yes.

But it could happen. Think of that the next time you bash the Captain. You are looking at the next all time hits leader.

:P

When was that last World Series? They are learining that they cannot buy it anymore. Who would want a DH who hit 18 Hr's and K's 110 times and cannot drive in 100 runs

Anyone would want a DH like that. Especially if he had Jeter's intangibles, lol.

When was that last World Series? They are learining that they cannot buy it anymore. Who would want a DH who hit 18 Hr's and K's 110 times and cannot drive in 100 runs

Jeter will be a more effective player, for a longer period of time, then all his distractors named Mike Martz give him credit for.;)

Not sure. I think Lastings Milledge and Kaz Matsui might edge him out by that time!

;)

Please, please please, give me a plausible and reasonable argument that that will point logic in the direction that says the Yankees are actually a team in ascent, and have yet to reach their zenith.

Please illuminatete exactly what the Yankees have coming to their team that points at Dynasty II.b.

It it has to be something other than "they will spend money"

Please, please please, give me a plausible and reasonable argument that that will point logic in the direction that says the Yankees are actually a team in ascent, and have yet to reach their zenith.

Please illuminatete exactly what the Yankees have coming to their team that points at Dynasty II.b.

this ought to be interesting

Scott...

I will play. The space ship that we call "Yankee Destiny" may very well be out of gas. (Or whatever a space ship uses for fuel, Bitonti would know). Anyhow looking at it objectively since they started spending like this, they win the AL East and get knocked off in the playoffs or WS.

So I would say that the BEST case scenario for Jeter would be that they get lucky and win 2 more times in his career. Seeing as how the Yankees average a Championship once every 4 years this seems about right. For the point of this debate though, let's assume that the Yankees don't win again for the next 20 years. So Jeter stumbles into the Hall Of Fame with 4 World Series.

There is NO WAY in hell that any player that will wear a Mets uniform over the next 20 seasons will win more than 4 championships in that time. If you would care to dispute that point, I would be happy to try and read your thoughts on said matter seriously.

Scott...

Seeing as how the Yankees average a Championship once every 4 years this seems about right. For the point of this debate though, let's assume that the Yankees don't win again for the next 20 years.

Given "recent Yankee history", the average course has been to become dynastic (the late 70's, the late 90's), only to be followed by huge voids of futilty with no championships.

They COULD be on the cusp of that right now. Emphasis on COULD. I will be interested to see how panicked they get as the trade deadline sets in, and how much they hold some of their cards.

In your comparison with the Mets, you are right, there is no comparison and I would look foolish in comparing recent history. Luckily, I hope, that is history.

I was just amuse at Blackouts relative assuming that some World Championships were going to slide into the Yankees pockets over the course of the next half decade or so.

Given "recent Yankee history", the average course has been to become dynastic (the late 70's, the late 90's), only to be followed by huge voids of futilty with no championships.

They COULD be on the cusp of that right now. Emphasis on COULD. I will be interested to see how panicked they get as the trade deadline sets in, and how much they hold some of their cards.

In your comparison with the Mets, you are right, there is no comparison and I would look foolish in comparing recent history. Luckily, I hope, that is history.

I was just amuse at Blackouts relative assuming that some World Championships were going to slide into the Yankees pockets over the course of the next half decade or so.

This sucks. I was really looking forward to a baseball fight with you!

I am realistic though. I have fought the money crowd (meaning those who say the Yankees win because they buy it). Fought them head on...but if the Yankees win it all this year it will be because of money. Can't even dispute it.

Regardless if they don't improve and change the way they do business...they won't be winning it all anytime soon. Which is why I wasn't so upset when they lost all these stars to injury.

Small ball. The Yankees need to remember what they were all about in 1996. Check the egos at the door and do what is best for the team.

This sucks. I was really looking forward to a baseball fight with you!

I am realistic though. I have fought the money crowd (meaning those who say the Yankees win because they buy it). Fought them head on...but if the Yankees win it all this year it will be because of money. Can't even dispute it.

Regardless if they don't improve and change the way they do business...they won't be winning it all anytime soon. Which is why I wasn't so upset when they lost all these stars to injury.

Small ball. The Yankees need to remember what they were all about in 1996. Check the egos at the door and do what is best for the team.

The White Sox have really cast the template-Small ball as you say, with a couple of boomers in the line-up and pitching.

I will be interested to see what the Yanks have in the pipeline as it relates to youth. It will only make their club better.

The White Sox have really cast the template-Small ball as you say, with a couple of boomers in the line-up and pitching.

I will be interested to see what the Yanks have in the pipeline as it relates to youth. It will only make their club better.

Promise me we can fight over something baseball related soon?

:P

I think it's quite possible Derek Jeter can retire with 6-7 rings

10? No. That was a joke. Some people on here have senses of humor.

But 6-7 is possible, especially when Jeter is playing aside the best 5-tool player baseball has seen since Willie Mays (and I don't mean Robinson Cano)

But 6-7 is possible, especially when Jeter is playing aside the best 5-tool player baseball has seen since Willie Mays (and I don't mean Robinson Cano)

First, to compare Rodriguez to Willy Mays is pure heresy st this point-An d don't give me relative numbers-Numbers among their peers is what is important, and they are not that comparable.

Second-Which do you think is a longer list- 5 tool players that won Series or 5 tool players that did not?

Having a 5 tool player play next to you does not ensure championships, that is a fairly simple statement

but I believe A-rod will win a world series or two by the time his career is over.

Belief is a wonderful thing to have, and everyone should have a set of their own.

They do not make things a reality though.

Quick question-Who would you rather have on you team-Kirk Gibson or ARod?

DUH. AROD. He is in his prime. Gibson was a warrior but he is like 50 years old and can barely walk. Even with the DH, he wouldn't provide much help.

OWNED DIERKING. YOU WERE JUST OWNED!!!

LOL!!! :P

Belief is a wonderful thing to have, and everyone should have a set of their own.

They do not make things a reality though.

A-rod any day of the week, twice on sundays.

Besides, Kirk Gibson is what, 48 today?

First, to compare Rodriguez to Willy Mays is pure heresy st this point-An d don't give me relative numbers-Numbers among their peers is what is important, and they are not that comparable.

Second-Which do you think is a longer list- 5 tool players that won Series or 5 tool players that did not?

Having a 5 tool player play next to you does not ensure championships, that is a fairly simple statement

Plus NEVER forget that mays played in that freakin wind machine in Candlestick,,he lost many, many, many HRs

you mean you actually dare think I'd pick against a gold glove shortsotp who hits 50 homers in a season?

One man's opinion.

I tend to see what you do Blackout-You look at numbers and think numbers are a be all and end all as to a players worth.

Baseball is a lot about numbers if you look at the sport superficially. Baseball can have compilers as easily as does football. That does not mean that players that have great numbers can't be great team players. It also means though, that players with great number are necessarily great team players. And baseball is a team sport, far before it is a "number" sport.

Statistics are nice, but statistics can lie and deceive you. Just remeber that when you do all your number crunching.

me, given a choice, I would take Kirk Gibson over AROD any day. It is a guy that performed well in the clutch (a knock against ARod that hasn't been shaken yet), and Kirk made players around him better. He demanded it. He was a leader, and I can't see that in ARod. Not with this team, not with what he has done.

Enjoy your sexy numbers and comparisons-I will take the gamer.And Kirk is not alone on this list.

So will I . I like the Cano, Wang group from 2005. I think Proctor will be OK, if he does not pitch every day.

Melky for 2006. Matt Smith sometime in 2006.

Matt Smith, and JB Cox in 2007. Steve White sometime in 2007. Same with Eric Duncan.

Ty Clippard and Phil Hughes in 2008. Brett Gardner also in 2008.

I have seen them all in the minors. There is a lot to like.

A lot.:cheers:

23.Juan Gonzalez (35)1936R Derek Jeter (31)1936R 25.Garret Anderson* (33)1929L Mike Piazza (36)1929R 27.Tino Martinez* (37)1925L 28.Manny Ramirez (33)1922R 29.Moises Alou (38)1901R Alex Rodriguez (29)1901R

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leaders/H_active.shtml

Wouldn't you believe A-Rod has a better chance than Jeter since he'll get to DH'ing before Jeter could.

Here Blackout, I will make it easier for you-Give you 2 Yankees to compare;

Which would you choose to build your team first-Reggie Jackson or ARod?

I am talking a baseball team meant to win, not a fantasy rotisserie league.

a sub-par outfielder who comes up with a big hit vs someone who can produce all season

im sorry Scott, I guess we don't see eye-to-eye on this. I'll take the guy who can produce all year, not the guy who comes up big in the 9th inning after going 0-3 in his first 3 at-bats

a sub-par outfielder who comes up with a big hit vs someone who can produce all season

im sorry Scott, I guess we don't see eye-to-eye on this. I'll take the guy who can produce all year, not the guy who comes up big in the 9th inning after going 0-3 in his first 3 at-bats

Next question-Has AROD ever markedly improved a team that he has come to in any tangible way (wins and losses).

The players that I mentioned have.

Money players Blackout, that is what it is all about. Not driving in 3 with a 4 run lead.

Oh, and I didn't just gloss over how you called a HOF outfielder "subpar"

Nice. Have a little more respect for some players. As much as I disliked Reggie when I was growing up, the man was as clutch and money as they come. And, winning teams followed him where ever he went World Championship teams.

ARod should WISH that his teams had the success and that he contributed to teams such as Jackson was on.

Reggie Jackson "subpar". My goodness

Archived