WORLD CUP starts next week

Mavrik

Anybody looking forward to World Cup? US has probably one of the best teams it's had in years, but I don't see them getting out of Group E ahead of the Czechs or the Italians. We got screwed over in the rankings.

Also, if we somehow we're to advance (top 2 teams in eachg roup advance), we'd have to probably face Brazil in the round of 16.

dtom_1280.jpg

Who cares about the rankings. If the team is good enough to think about having a shot to win it all, then bring on all comers. It is true that some teams seem to get easy pickings in every tournament. Mexico sucks anyway, all of their good players are mowing lawns in the U.S.

BTW, even if you are not a soccer fan, a lot of the World Cup games are a great watch. There is so much at stake in every game.

Don't watching golf and napping usually go hand in hand?

Yes they do, and soccer can easily replace golf as the best sport to nap to. The only difference between watching soccer and watching my lawn grow is that soccer have men running back and forth on the grass, but ironically during both events, no goals are scored.

Alright, well I'm starting to really get into European soccer. (Specifically FA English Premier League) but I need to find a team to root for. Maybe somebody like Haggis or Panzer can tell me who they root for.

Alright, well I'm starting to really get into European soccer. (Specifically FA English Premier League) but I need to find a team to root for. Maybe somebody like Haggis or Panzer can tell me who they root for.

I think chelsea has the best team money can buy right now. Just a suggestion.hopping on a bandwagon worked for tx 4 years ago when he started following the nfl.

;)

I am definitely looking forward to the World Cup, but I am also one of the least confident England fans you will find, so please go easy on me when we get knocked out on penalties again. :P

I think england has a very strong side goin in. best of luck to ya rob.

I think england has a very strong side goin in. best of luck to ya rob.
Don't get me wrong, I do believe we have some great players. It's the idiot sat in the dugout that I have a problem with.

Still think soccer was a game England propogated to cut down on the hand-to-eye coordination of the locals in their colonies. Nonetheless the World Cup is a good show.A guy who can kick isn't nearly the threat a guy who can swing a bat or throw a ball like a grenade is.

Sad to see Ireland didn't make it, and that somehow Iran doesn't have to play Israel. Could there be anything better than the Jews kicking the piss out of iran?

Question-what's the deal with injury time? Why isn't it posted on the scoreboard? Has there ever been some chicanery, either in WC or Euro games? Seems like it's a ripe chance to give a losing team more time without anyone knowing it.

I think chelsea has the best team money can buy right now. Just a suggestion.hopping on a bandwagon worked for tx 4 years ago when he started following the nfl.

;)

My roommate roots for Chelsea, so that would probably be a team I could pull for. I could say I'd try rooting for a soccer team that was like the Jets, but then I guess that means they're not gonig to be winning any FA Cups anytime soon. :roll:

People generally don't appreciate soccer because they are only exposed to the MLS and don't venture out to watch the european leagues which are balls to wall insanity...with that said U.S. doesn't have a real good shot this year, we will succumb to both the Italians, the Chezcs, and there is a good chance that Ghana will beat us as well...

I saw Ghana play a few years back in Olympic play...which I know is different but they whooped on the Italian squad with blazing speed...I don't know if our guys can keep up physically with them.

The problem for the U.S. is that are in the hardest group. The Czechs are ranked #2 in the world and have an amazing goalie. Despite the fact that they have 3 starters injured, they can still easily win bc they have Nedved in the middle. Italy is ranked #12 in the world and just has alot of experience. They are slower footed, which is why Ghana had such a good game against them, but they have veterans who won't make mistakes. Ghana is a wild card who has alot of talent and speed, but doesn't match up well against the U.S. since the U.S. has speed, and better players.

We need to hope for a Ghana win over Italy and then we can cruise into the second round. Sports Illustrated or ESPN Magazine didn't have the U.S. making it despite their #6 in the world ranking. I don't know I was a bit shocked.

All I know is the World Cup is as fun as the Jets winning in the playoffs every week for a full month. I watch every game either live or on tivo and enjoy every minute of it. And since at my job I can watch satellite tv and bs on jetnation all day, there is no excuse for me not to enjoy this time.

U-S-A, All The Way!

• 5 weeks later...
I am definitely looking forward to the World Cup, but I am also one of the least confident England fans you will find, so please go easy on me when we get knocked out on penalties again. :P
Well, I knew it was going to happen.

I think everybody did.

Should be fun at Old Trafford the next few weeks, wonder if Fergie feels he may have made a wee mistake in siding with Ronaldo over the van Nistelrooy spat?

jesper, i dont know if it is just me but there are times i dont know WHAT THE F you are chatting about

its an ireland thing i guess

i love soccer and have been watching... some great games! Ricardo, portugal's goalkeeper was amazing!! they get deco back for the next game...

frankly i think they are the team to beat :)

I think everybody did.

Should be fun at Old Trafford the next few weeks, wonder if Fergie feels he may have made a wee mistake in siding with Ronaldo over the van Nistelrooy spat?

I blame Carlos Quieroz, but then I blame him for most of what's gone wrong at United these last few years.

jesper, i dont know if it is just me but there are times i dont know WHAT THE F you are chatting about

its an ireland thing i guess

I understood every word. It must be an Atlantic divide thing. :P

i love soccer and have been watching... some great games! Ricardo, portugal's goalkeeper was amazing!! they get deco back for the next game...

frankly i think they are the team to beat

I doubt Portugal will even get to the final. The French finally look as though they are playing as a team, so I expect them to go through.

I don't really love soccer, but am watching this because of the grandness of the event. Similar to non-baseball fans watching only the WS.

The WC is somewhat less colorful today with Brazil and England gone.

I know what you mean. Some of my friends have no interest in the NFL, for example, but they will watch at least some of the Superbowl every year.

I can understand about Brazil, but the England team must have been one of the most boring teams for a neutral to watch.

Curious to the reaction in England on them losing - all hell breaking loose over there?

Not really. If Sven Goran Eriksson had intended to stay then I'm sure there would be plenty of people calling for his head, but he was leaving after the World Cup anyway. I think people are just deeply disappointed rather than angry.

I am happy to see the back of him, but it is sickening to think that we have wasted three major tournaments on a man with no tactical knowledge whatsoever. It is very similar to how the Jets wasted 5 years on Herm. In fact, there are a surprising number of similarities between Sven and Herm that I could come up with.

I understood every word. It must be an Atlantic divide thing. :P

Nope. Crystal clear down here. :D

Ronaldo was just incorporating Big Phil spirit. The ends justify the means. Rooney needs to calm down. Fergie made the right choice, at least on the field. I mean, Van Basten put Nistelrooy in the dog house. Van Basten. He knows a little about strikers.

I agree about Portugal. They reach a point when they need to start "playing" more than "fighting". You can't reach the final "only" with guts.

France had a good game, but one thing I'm sure. Zidane won't have the same freedom against Portugal.

I can understand about Brazil, but the England team must have been one of the most boring teams for a neutral to watch.

Brazil was the most boring team for a partial to watch. What a bunch of fat, old, slow bastards. I never seen a more pathetic, unprepared, disorganized team. Put Parreira in the the coaches who wasted talent list.

Archived