AROD = Best 3B in NY

With the numbers that he will retire with, championships or not, he will be a top 10 player.

P.S. David Wright is the man :)

eLOT

Numbers don't mean a damn thing if far too much of those numbers result from stat-padding against weak opponents in meaningless games.

Numbers don't mean a damn thing if far too much of those numbers result from stat-padding against weak opponents in meaningless games.

Read what i wrote "He's easily going to be considered a top 10 player when his career is over."

The baseball nation as a whole will considered him a top 10 player of all time, it doesnt matter if you dont consider him clutch, time will get rid of everything except for his statistics.

eLOT

I wouldn't call any player top 10 in baseball history if he hasn't made teams he's been on significantly better, let alone top 25.

I guess Ted Williams wasn't much of a player. Neither was Earnie Banks.:confused:

I guess Ted Williams wasn't much of a player. Neither was Earnie Banks.:confused:

Good comeback, mbn

I'm a Mets fan, and this business of comparing Wright to A-Rod (and Reyes to Jeter, also) is not fair to either player. Let's compare Wright's first 10 years with A-Rod's first 10 when Wright gets there.

I don't think that you can compare Reyes to Jeter at all. While they play the same position, they are two completely different types of ball players. Reyes' game is built on speed, while Jeter's is built on smarts (please, I am NOT denigrating Jeter by saying that).

If I needed to win TODAY, which pair would I take? Any Mets fan would be crazy not to take A-Rod and Jeter, they're in the prime of their careers, and whether we like it or not, they're damn good players. If I'm building for the future (despite their current success, I think the Mets are building to win 2-3 years from now), I take Wright and Reyes. They're also damn good players, they just don't have the experience the Yankee pair does.

Make no mistake though, they're just as important to the Mets as A-Rod and Jeter are to the Yanks.

Good comeback, mbn

I'm a Mets fan, and this business of comparing Wright to A-Rod (and Reyes to Jeter, also) is not fair to either player. Let's compare Wright's first 10 years with A-Rod's first 10 when Wright gets there.

I don't think that you can compare Reyes to Jeter at all. While they play the same position, they are two completely different types of ball players. Reyes' game is built on speed, while Jeter's is built on smarts (please, I am NOT denigrating Jeter by saying that).

If I needed to win TODAY, which pair would I take? Any Mets fan would be crazy not to take A-Rod and Jeter, they're in the prime of their careers, and whether we like it or not, they're damn good players. If I'm building for the future (despite their current success, I think the Mets are building to win 2-3 years from now), I take Wright and Reyes. They're also damn good players, they just don't have the experience the Yankee pair does.

Make no mistake though, they're just as important to the Mets as A-Rod and Jeter are to the Yanks.

Very fine post. Your opinion is well laid out, and you explain your reasoning very well.

I disagree with the Mets plan to win it 2-3 years out from here though. I fully believe Omar built this team to win now, as in 2006. Pedro is not exactly a youngster, and Glavine and Traschel are no spring chickens either. All may have difficult times in 2007, if they are all with the Mets at all. In addition, Delgado will be gone after 2 more seasons, when his contract expires. And you will be looking for another Catcher soon, as LoDuca is already in his 30s.

Reyes, Wright and Beltran, as well as Lastings will be the cornerstones of the future. But the current edition of the NY Mets is built to win it all now, and challenge again in 2007. After that, changes need to be made, especially with the rotation, the main element.

An example of a team that is built to win in 2-3 seasons would be the Brewers, Diamondbacks, or the Devil Rays. They have several key pieces in place, and they are all young. But they also have key components coming up through their Farm Systems, who should have a major impact over the next 2 seasons, and help them challenge for the post-season.

Just my opinion, but that's how I read the current situation with the Mets.

Very fine post. Your opinion is well laid out, and you explain your reasoning very well.

I disagree with the Mets plan to win it 2-3 years out from here though. I fully believe Omar built this team to win now, as in 2006. Pedro is not exactly a youngster, and Glavine and Traschel are no spring chickens either. All may have difficult times in 2007, if they are all with the Mets at all. In addition, Delgado will be gone after 2 more seasons, when his contract expires. And you will be looking for another Catcher soon, as LoDuca is already in his 30s.

Reyes, Wright and Beltran, as well as Lastings will be the cornerstones of the future. But the current edition of the NY Mets is built to win it all now, and challenge again in 2007. After that, changes need to be made, especially with the rotation, the main element.

An example of a team that is built to win in 2-3 seasons would be the Brewers, Diamondbacks, or the Devil Rays. They have several key pieces in place, and they are all young. But they also have key components coming up through their Farm Systems, who should have a major impact over the next 2 seasons, and help them challenge for the post-season.

Just my opinion, but that's how I read the current situation with the Mets.

Can't argue with anything you've said (well, at I can't argue too much) ;)

I think Omar is bulding a team to not only win this year, but continue being contenders well into the future (similar to what the Yanks did during the years Steinbrenner was suspended). I think in 2008, the rotation will be something like Pelphrey, Humber, Soler, Maine, and someone else, maybe Bannister. We have some hitting prospects in the low minors, but who knows how they'll pan out. Those players are usually crapshoots.

The hardest person to replace will be LoDuca. Catcher is the hardest postion on the field to play and fill. You just can't switch a player from another position to catcher like you can at most other positions. Look around the majors right now and you can count the number of good, young catchers on one hand. And there aren't many in the upper minors either.

I think the Mets and Yanks are both at crossroads right now. The Mets are younger and building to get better, while the Yanks are a veteran team somewhat on the decline, but still very dangerous. Yankee fans will not like this, but I'm not surprised at the rash of injuries they've suffered for two reasons: 1) when you have an older, veteran team, injuries happen and take longer to heal and 2) they've had a pretty good run where they have been REALTIVELY injury-free. I think the 2 teams will have a pretty good chance of meeting in the postseason for the next few years, but then free-agency and age will end that era.

Let's enjoy it while it lasts.

• 3 months later...

2006:

David Wright: .311/.381/.531, 96 runs, 181 hits in 582 at-bats with 40 doubles, 5 triples, 26 home runs, 116 RBI, 66 walks, 20 stolen bases (5 caught)

Alex Rodriguez: .290/.392/.523, 113 runs, 166 hits in 572 at-bats with 26 doubles, 1 triple, 35 home runs, 121 RBI, 90 walks, 15 stolen bases (4 caught)

hmmm

2006:

David Wright: .311/.381/.531, 96 runs, 181 hits in 582 at-bats with 40 doubles, 5 triples, 26 home runs, 116 RBI, 66 walks, 20 stolen bases (5 caught)

Alex Rodriguez: .290/.392/.523, 113 runs, 166 hits in 572 at-bats with 26 doubles, 1 triple, 35 home runs, 121 RBI, 90 walks, 15 stolen bases (4 caught)

hmmm

Close but this was a off year for ARod and he still had nice numbers.

2006:

hmmm

I agree-I would give a slight edge to Wright. A nice accomplishment based on where he is in his career.