Mandatory reading for GJH

PFSIKH

Varitek needs to smack Beckett in the mouth and tell him to keep his friggin' pitches down.

He'll have to suit up, first. Tek doesn't challenge anybody, unless he has his suit of armor on.

Exactly what I was afraid of. Varitek needs to smack Beckett in the mouth and tell him to keep his friggin' pitches down.

What sucks, is that the Sox hit Moose enough to beat him.

Beckett was throwing gas, but was up in the zone. Especially on the HR that Phillips hit. That was a pure challenge, fastball pitcher vs. fastball hitter. But that pitch was not at all where Beckett wanted it. Maybe to a lightt-hitting middle infielder that would have been OK, but not to a guy who can hurt a fastball.

BTW - the pitch to Giambi was not all that bad. But Jason was able to get the bat-head on it, and drive it.

Varitek has some of his own problems, IMO. His throws to 2nd last night were horrible. Even when he grabbed Melky's weak bouncer and turned it into a force at 2nd (right before Giambi's HR), his throw was way off-line. But his throw to 2nd on the wild pitch in the 1st inning was pathetic. Lowell made a nice, albeit awkward looking, stretch at 2nd, but had no shot at catching it. Is Varitek hiding an injured shoulder?

BTW - you are correct regarding the way Moose pitched. He was laboring out there. That was obvious. He was working hard to not get clobbered. He easily had his worst start of the season out there, but picked a good time to have it, when his team scores 13 runs in 3 innings. He was cooked after 6, and the Yankee pen handled things over the last 3 innings.

He'll have to suit up, first. Tek doesn't challenge anybody, unless he has his suit of armor on.

This argument always cracks me up. Posada did the same thing against the D-Rays a couple of years ago.

Beckett was throwing gas, but was up in the zone. Especially on the HR that Phillips hit. That was a pure challenge, fastball pitcher vs. fastball hitter. But that pitch was not at all where Beckett wanted it. Maybe to a lightt-hitting middle infielder that would have been OK, but not to a guy who can hurt a fastball.

BTW - the pitch to Giambi was not all that bad. But Jason was able to get the bat-head on it, and drive it.

Varitek has some of his own problems, IMO. His throws to 2nd last night were horrible. Even when he grabbed Melky's weak bouncer and turned it into a force at 2nd (right before Giambi's HR), his throw was way off-line. But his throw to 2nd on the wild pitch in the 1st inning was pathetic. Lowell made a nice, albeit awkward looking, stretch at 2nd, but had no shot at catching it. Is Varitek hiding an injured shoulder?

BTW - you are correct regarding the way Moose pitched. He was laboring out there. That was obvious. He was working hard to not get clobbered. He easily had his worst start of the season out there, but picked a good time to have it, when his team scores 13 runs in 3 innings. He was cooked after 6, and the Yankee pen handled things over the last 3 innings.

Yeah, I don't know what's up with Varitek, I'm hoping that it's not what I'm thinking it might be.

PFSIKH, I have to tell you, I'm shocked at how the Yankees are winning these games with the amount of all-stars who are sitting on any given nite ... Matsui and Shef every nite, some recent nites Arod and Giambi, sometimes Damon and Posada, few games Mariano, and last nite Derek Jeter

I Just cannot believe how this team is winning ... I'm stunned ... this should have been a three week run of, I don't know, 5-16, or at least that's what I would have suspected when you look at the lineup card on any given nite over the past few weeks ... but somehow the Yankees are winning

I have to admit I keep waiting for the wheels to fall off ... there's a big part of me that keeps thinking this cannot continue, at some point these injuries have to take their toll, DON'T THEY?????, but so far so good

I don't know what else to say ... I'm not gonna sit here and boast about the Yankees because I'm the most surprised guy in the room ... I really don't know what else to say ... I agree with Curt Schilling, right now Joe Torre should be viewed as a slam-dunk for manager of the year, and certainly if this continues, cause IMHO you are NOT supposed to suffer the amount of significant losses this team has suffered in recent weeks and continue to win at this pace ... I know it rings hollow, but this just has me dumbfounded, and of course happy, make that thrilled, but at the same time wondering if/when this magic carpet ride comes screeching to a hault ... or maybe not ... at this point I'm sort of at a loss?

PFSIKH, I have to tell you, I'm shocked at how the Yankees are winning these games with the amount of all-stars who are sitting on any given nite ... Matsui and Shef every nite, some recent nites Arod and Giambi, sometimes Damon and Posada, few games Mariano, and last nite Derek Jeter

I Just cannot believe how this team is winning ... I'm stunned ... this should have been a three week run of, I don't know, 5-16, or at least that's what I would have suspected when you look at the lineup card on any given nite over the past few weeks ... but somehow the Yankees are winning

I have to admit I keep waiting for the wheels to fall off ... there's a big part of me that keeps thinking this cannot continue, at some point these injuries have to take their toll, DON'T THEY?????, but so far so good

I don't know what else to say ... I'm not gonna sit here and boast about the Yankees because I'm the most surprised guy in the room ... I really don't know what else to say ... I agree with Curt Schilling, right now Joe Torre should be viewed as a slam-dunk for manager of the year, and certainly if this continues, cause IMHO you are NOT supposed to suffer the amount of significant losses this team has suffered in recent weeks and continue to win at this pace ... I know it rings hollow, but this just has me dumbfounded, and of course happy, make that thrilled, but at the same time wondering if/when this magic carpet ride comes screeching to a hault ... or maybe not ... at this point I'm sort of at a loss?

If the Yankees have been able to do it with their hurts, maybe the Dodgers should be stunned with what they have been able to withstand regarding injuries.

I can only chalk this up to one thing-The Yankee fans are learning what life is when you don't just throw money at problems and solve them internally.

What happens is you get a galvanized effort, a renewed vigor and a fresh approach that your team takes.

I am actually shocked that you never had to go through this before, because it is a fairly common occurence.

Now you see how the other 99% live.

If the Yankees have been able to do it with their hurts, maybe the Dodgers should be stunned with what they have been able to withstand regarding injuries.

I can only chalk this up to one thing-The Yankee fans are learning what life is when you don't just throw money at problems and solve them internally.

What happens is you get a galvanized effort, a renewed vigor and a fresh approach that your team takes.

I am actually shocked that you never had to go through this before, because it is a fairly common occurence.

haha, well said,,,

its not a video game anymore

You have a point, SD ... right now I'm in no position to argue otherwise ... thankfully the Yankees, THUS FAR, are doing a heck of a job despite losing Shef, Matsui, etc

Losing Sheff has not hurt. It has helped. I have been saying this for awhile.

This Yankee team is playing baseball. They will win the WS because of these injuries. They have heart.

It is amazing how much motivation a few guys struggling at 300k can provide to a locker room on ten million plus guys.

You have a point, SD ... right now I'm in no position to argue otherwise ... thankfully the Yankees, THUS FAR, are doing a heck of a job despite losing Shef, Matsui, etc

GJH-Good teams, emphasize TEAMS can withstand this for a short period of time-usually up to a month.

Beyond that., and if they keep happening, it is a frustrating situation.

Again, good teams actually close ranks and play a tighter baseball wen faced with the adversity of big injuries. I have seen it happen a lot. I have also seen weak willed teams just totally tank.

I think you have seen a little bit of what your team is made of, which you didn't know was there. These things can be the best thing to happen to a club, in small and short doses, than anything else.

This Yankee team is playing baseball. They will win the WS because of these injuries. They have heart.

It is amazing how much motivation a few guys struggling at 300k can provide to a locker room on ten million plus guys.

Truth be told, I think the Yankees "system" has as much to do with it as anything else. Maybe conformity brings team unity? Who knows. I do know that I thought is was VERY cool that Cashman/Steinbrenner would not give Clemens his desired "family provisions" when vying for his services - unlike the Red Sox - who claim they treat every one equally. No, JBF, this is not some self-loathing Sox fan rant. Just telling it like it is. The Yankees run a tighter ship.

I agree.

Hopefully now the option will not be picked up at the end of the season.

Matsui - Damon - Cabrera in 07.

Archived