Usa Vs. Czech Republic Today

Mavrik

too bad usa played so poorly, they did nothing to endear fans to the sport. the better team won today.looks like 2014 is our year. umm go usa:bag:

Tru dat J-dubs. Nobody in this country is gonna like this sport unless our national team doesn't BLOW at it. And I fear we're not gonna blow at it unless we get better participation/coaching/training at a younger level. Which is not gonna happen unless.... you get the drift.... it's a self reinforcing process

I'm glad we lost. My daughter is going to the Czech Republic next month and I don't need some pissed-off Czech soccer fans going off on her because she's American.

Why would the Czechs be going off on an 80 year old lady?

USA is just a mediocre team, they had a nice surprise run in WC 02 BUT their world ranking is inflated because they beat up on costa rica all the time and they are a hair better than mexico. Today's game proved that USA has ways to go before ever being a serious competitor in this tournament. They have no identity on the field, no flow to their game. No true star that can take over a game. THey looked like 11 guys with their heads cut off today. Totally outclassed.

Italia can really drop the hammer on them Saturday. They have guys coming off the bench that are heads and shoulders better than the starters on team USA. The only thing USA Has going for them saturday is that Italy is prone to the choke job otherwise it can get ugly real fast for USA. Italy is stacked and desperate for a world cup. Anybody who saw Italy today saw a team that is greased and ready.

I take something back-about intensity or lack thereof. I watched a good chunk of the 2nd half. Now these guys are great athletes.But I just didn't see any urgency in a US team that was way behind. And that seems to be a running theme through the whole sport from what I've seen of it-admittedly a small unscientific sample. It's like one team gets ahead, and that's it, game over. No big comebacks, no last minute heroics-we're ahead and you give up.

I take something back-about intensity or lack thereof. I watched a good chunk of the 2nd half. Now these guys are great athletes.But I just didn't see any urgency in a US team that was way behind. And that seems to be a running theme through the whole sport from what I've seen of it-admittedly a small unscientific sample. It's like one team gets ahead, and that's it, game over. No big comebacks, no last minute heroics-we're ahead and you give up.

It's always like that in the group stages and it's a combination of two factors:

a) There are some real mismatches (eg. Saudi Arabia vs. anyone) so the weaker team has almost no chance of winning.

B) If two teams are equally matched, they know the draw is an option so they both play defensively and cancel each other out.

As somebody else said earlier, it's the knockout rounds where you are more likely to find the big comebacks and heroics.

Tru dat J-dubs. Nobody in this country is gonna like this sport unless our national team doesn't BLOW at it. And I fear we're not gonna blow at it unless we get better participation/coaching/training at a younger level. Which is not gonna happen unless.... you get the drift.... it's a self reinforcing process

All I know there are so many young kids playing soccer now-a look at all the ballfields just in my area when i grew up no one did- we all played baseball-so i can not see that we are not having young people starting at a young age participating

The Aussies actually did just that today. The Japs were ahead 1-0 and seemed to be coasting, but the Aussies scored 3 goals in the last 10 minutes. The Japs never knew what hit them. Not to beat a dead horse, but watch the next round and watch the intensity pick up because it will be do or die.

I saw the USA game and they were pathetic. Did they ever try to attack? Seemed like all they did was go the wrong way and with poor passes too.

Pathetic team. Just watching the first 5 minutes (I watched the whole thing) of the Italy game and its just a different speed and game for them, the USA is so far from being on that level its not even funny.

All I know there are so many young kids playing soccer now-a look at all the ballfields just in my area when i grew up no one did- we all played baseball-so i can not see that we are not having young people starting at a young age participating

It's not the kiddie participation that's gonna get this country better at soccer. It's the teaching. We do not have the tutors that other countries do.

Anyone watch the press conference after the game on sportscenter? Bruce Arena basically was calling out players, by name, and saying that they either didn't get anything out of them or played like complete garbage. Hopefully, that'll light a fire under their asses and get them to play with a chip on their shoulder.

I saw the USA game and they were pathetic. Did they ever try to attack? Seemed like all they did was go the wrong way and with poor passes too.

Pathetic team. Just watching the first 5 minutes (I watched the whole thing) of the Italy game and its just a different speed and game for them, the USA is so far from being on that level its not even funny.

Bart, the USA had multiple scoring opportunities, they just couldn't finish the deal. Eddie Johnson and Reyna both should have had a goal.

The USA stunk it up on defense. Look, the backfield has players who's highest level of professional play is MLS in the USA. Now, I'm not putting that league down but, it's NOT the Bundesliga. You can't expect guys like Eddie Pope and Jimmy Conrad to go mano e mano with midfielders or forwards who play for teams like Juventus, AC Milan and Barcelona. You're just not gonna come out on the winning end of that, too often. The other Defender I thought had a really bad game was Onyewu, but maybe because he was yellow carded early on, that had something to do with it.

They didn't protect the goal. At all.

You can't blame one of those goals on Kasey Keller.

It's not the kiddie participation that's gonna get this country better at soccer. It's the teaching. We do not have the tutors that other countries do.

In other countries, the best athletes gravitate toward soccer. In other countries, the only other option to sport, is eating rocks.

In the US, there are other options, and lucrative ones, as far as sports.

In addition to that the chemistry with these teams around the world is on a whole different level. In S.A. and in Europe these kids stop going to school at a certain age and its soccer soccer soccer from there on out. They go to soccer camps gallore, some of these teams have been playing and living together since they were teenagers and they know eachother like the back of their hand. It will be very difficult for USA to ever duplicate that kind of chemistry.

In other countries, the best athletes gravitate toward soccer. In other countries, the only other option to sport, is eating rocks.

In the US, there are other options, and lucrative ones, as far as sports.

Is that why there are so many European basketball players in the NBA?

Archived