NYC slowly getting back to a National League town

SouthernJet

From Mike Vaccaro in todays NY Post"

It's just a smaller difference now. And there are weekends, like the one just past, when you take a stroll through town and it's starting to look and sound and feel an awful lot like the middle '80s again. Not everywhere. Not all the time. Just enough to make you stop, and think, and wonder.

But baseball plays by different rules, even in the 44-plus seasons when it's only been a two-team town. The Mets were born at a time when the city was bored by the Yankees, they filled a crevasse left by two fleeing teams, and for the first dozen or so years of their existence they ruled the town with an iron fist. Then the Yankees were reborn in the mid-'70s, the Mets fell into disrepair and Mets fans became a more endangered species than the spotted owl. It didn't seem possible that things could ever switch back again, but they did, and in a big way, and by the time the Mets had assembled their mid-'80s powerhouse they were drawing almost a million fans more per season than the Yankees were. And then, around 1993 or so, things switched back one more time, stayed that way, seemed like they might stay that way forever.

Only we should know by now that in baseball New York, nothing is truly forever.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Yankees are averaging almost 10,000 more per game. The Mets new stadium has like 43,000 seats. The Yankees new stadium has over 10,000 more than that.

Take this into account...the Yankees have the most expensive tickets in all of baseball. If the tickets were cheaper they would need a football arena on a nightly basis!

NL town...uh, okay.

The Yankees average over 50,000 per game. More than 5,000 over the next team (Dodgers). On the road the Yankees average 6,000 more than the # 2 team.

Yankee baseball!!!

if that makes you feel better, OK.

slowly changing back as the sportswriter accurately wrote,,

i know it hurts, but , as the sportswriter accurately wrote, its cyclical,, yanks will be back again,,,

i know it hurts, but , as the sportswriter accurately wrote, its cyclical,, yanks will be back again,,,

so when do you agree with sportswriters?

When it fits your agenda??

I didn't read his article. But he is basing this on what? On the # of Met hats he sees in the street?

I didn't read his article. But he is basing this on what? On the # of Met hats he sees in the street?

street buzz,, more wins,, and the fact Mets/Yanks have swapped being the team several times since Mets came into NL,,cyclical,,,

http://www.nypost.com/sports/mets/slowly__willies_crew_is_stealing_the_city_back_mets_mike_vaccaro.htm

The Yankees are averaging almost 10,000 more per game. The Mets new stadium has like 43,000 seats. The Yankees new stadium has over 10,000 more than that.

Take this into account...the Yankees have the most expensive tickets in all of baseball. If the tickets were cheaper they would need a football arena on a nightly basis!

NL town...uh, okay.

The Cubs outdraw the White Sox in Chicago last year by a good margin-Did that make them more relavent in that town?

A lot of people go to see the Yanks to see them lose or to see a historic stadium Yankee Stadium - when you start putting up attendance figures

That's a joke, right? I know you're a Mets fan, but I always thought you were sensible.

I don't care how many seats you sell,how many regular season games you win, How many HR's Beltran has or how many loser mets fans there are....It will take a lot more than that to change what kind of town NY is.

Only Mets fans would put a claim to fame on NYC after 60 regular season games.

The Cubs outdraw the White Sox in Chicago last year by a good margin-Did that make them more relavent in that town?

Scott...thanks for playing. But you MISSED the boat on this one.

Chicago is a Cubs town. It has nothing to do with the White Sox winning the World Series.

NY is the YANKEES town. Willie's impressive start aside. If George farts on the same day the Mets clinch the AL East, we will be reading about the smell. A few pages of car ads later...you can read about the Mets.

That is the way it works. I will spare you the OWNED commentary. Although if you keep agreeing with SJ I will let Jermaine back. :P

Chicago is a Cubs town. It has nothing to do with the White Sox winning the World Series.

NY is the YANKEES town. Willie's impressive start aside. If George farts on the same day the Mets clinch the AL East, we will be reading about the smell. A few pages of car ads later...you can read about the Mets.

That is the way it works. I will spare you the OWNED commentary. Although if you keep agreeing with SJ I will let Jermaine back. :P

If being "relavent" is winning a popularity show as opposed to winning ball games, I will take teh winning EVERY time.

NOW I understand why Yankee fans seem excited just because of the number of players on teh Yankees that are leading their positions for teh All Star game.

They LIKE us, they really LIKE us!

Good for your fandom

A lot of people go to see the Yanks to see them lose or to see a historic stadium Yankee Stadium - when you start putting up attendance figures

So the same could be said for the Red Sox....

:rolleyes:

ummmm....

NY will never again be a Mets town unless the Yankees move

the Mets are the fourth most relevant baseball team in NY history.

It is a shame you were so young during the 80's. You missed a lot.

For a young guy like you to be so young and to use terms like "never", just seems so wasteful.

And, if you think the Mets were second fiddle in '69, and the years that followed immediately after, well, you are not as versed in baseball history as you pretend to be.

If being "relavent" is winning a popularity show as opposed to winning ball games, I will take teh winning EVERY time.

NOW I understand why Yankee fans seem excited just because of the number of players on teh Yankees that are leading their positions for teh All Star game.

They LIKE us, they really LIKE us!

Good for your fandom

Scott...

Yankee fans are focused on one thing. Winning it all. The bar has been set that high.

This thread (started by a Mets fan) was about who was more popular in NY. That's all. Popularity and winning are 2 different things.

I happen to be more interested in watching them win. And they do it so often, that is probably the explanation behind their popularity!

New York is still a Yankee town, the reactivity by Yankee fans on this board is amazing.

The article merely stated that the 2006 season is SLOWLY swinging the balance the other way. Who could argue that?

thats right, exactly what article said,, its starting but Mets have to finish the deal to put them on top again in NY,, again, bottom line, its cyclical,,big deal,,,

The town belongs to whoevers winning at the time. WHich also holds true for the Jets and Giants.

true,,,as opposed to chicago, where even when Sox are winning, its a Cubs town,,

thats what makes NY great,, even with the Yankee tradition, when Mets are winning and Yanks arent the fans realize it,,

I don't care how many seats you sell,how many regular season games you win, How many HR's Beltran has or how many loser mets fans there are....It will take a lot more than that to change what kind of town NY is.

Only Mets fans would put a claim to fame on NYC after 60 regular season games.

reread article,,,

it said yanks still have town, but he can see its starting to shift, IF the mets continue what they have started,,a BIG IF,, i admit

u just cant let go,,

NYC has shifted over years between Mets and Yanks dominating fans and back pages,, look up attendance on down Yank yeras vs up Mets years and vice versa,,whats the big deal,,

are u that much still the 8 year old walkin thru yankee stadium tunnel seeing the field for the 1st time to not realize that?

Scott...

Yankee fans are focused on one thing. Winning it all. The bar has been set that high.

This thread (started by a Mets fan) was about who was more popular in NY. That's all. Popularity and winning are 2 different things.

I happen to be more interested in watching them win. And they do it so often, that is probably the explanation behind their popularity!

NOW,, but that changes,, and when it has over years, the allegiance of city has swayed back and forth,,

now , i agree if yanks continue to be at top of standing EVERY year forever, then the best the two teams can do is draw,,,but crap happens and if mets play 1st place ball and yanks slip to being 8 to 10 games oyut in July then its a different story

u just cant let go,,

NYC has shifted over years between Mets and Yanks dominating fans and back pages,, look up attendance on down Yank yeras vs up Mets years and vice versa,,whats the big deal,,

are u that much still the 8 year old walkin thru yankee stadium tunnel seeing the field for the 1st time to not realize that?

I told you I didn't read that article. I have never disagreed that the town has shifted. They go with the winner. My point is that the shift has not begun and is not close.

The Yankees dominate in attendance. The Mets are a win it now team. Look at the age in the rotation. They have this season and next to get it done. Then they will be bringing in new guys to get it done. That doesn't always work out.

tick, tick, tick

Archived