Broncos release G Dan Neil

Injuries hampered eighth season

Associated Press

The Denver Broncos released guard Dan Neil on Thursday, parting ways with one of the cornerstones of their solid offensive lines for the past eight seasons.

A third-round pick of the Broncos in 1997, Neil started 104 games over eight years with Denver. He was in the starting lineup last season until knee and stomach injuries slowed him, forcing him to miss Denver's final three regular-season games and the playoffs.

The Broncos are about $2 million under next year's salary cap, and releasing Neil should save them about $1.75 million.

Neil's backup last season, Cooper Carlisle, is an unrestricted free agent, as is last year's starting left guard, Ben Hamilton.

The Broncos likely will try to keep Hamilton, and the rest of the line is expected to stay intact. Center Tom Nalen recently reworked his contract and tackles Matt Lepsis and George Foster are under contract, with Lepsis expected to rework his deal to help the Broncos.

The man has a 90 something rating on madden... hes obviously the missing link for our SB run :lol: Tom Shane and Maxman... do i have permission to beat any 15 yr olds that come on this site and fill up posts with stuff like that? cause ill gladly do it to help out...

Still a good player....and the Broncos acknowledge this readily.

However, money was the main issue...Plus, they have a young player named Ben Hamilton they like a ton.

He's the son of Wes Hamilton (who I don't remember)...Wes was a OL on the Vikings Super Bowl teams in the 1970's and played well into the 1980's (I think).

Ben went on and played for the Minnesota Gophers and Berlin (NFLe)..

Broncos took a huge risk sending him to NFLe (he was a high pick), but he came back better.

Neil is definitely worth looking at, but who would he start over? Moore? Not out of the question.

Maybe the Jets would be a fit, but he could return to native Texas--Dallas or Houston...That's just a guess.

Dan Neil was a really good player. He started right out of college and won two super bowls in his first two years. He was a big part of Denver's best OL lines. The lines that never received their due because they were undersized and everyone chalked it up to simply being more Alex Gibbs magic.

He is breaking down now though. He had knee surgery and a hernia last year. He missed a ton of games. He is 31 now and was due a big roster bonus.

If he is healthy, he will still be above average. I think his health is a big question though, and Denver did not want to pay him for that exact reason.

That being said he is going to get paid by somebody. Just not the Jets.

The Jets hit the jackpot last year with Pete Kendall.

Lightning does not strike the same place twice.

TX:

Jackpot is right. Let's see get boned over on a bunch of offseason moves. Have extra money. Then to have a guy like that fall in your lap because Green wants to make a point?

I wouldn't expect that to happen again.

I am good with the ladies on Grand Theft Auto. Doesn't seem to translate to real life for me.

What do you mean Max? I know that beating the crap out of an old lady with a baseball bat, stealing her car, mowing down a bunch of street thugs with the fender and then pulling up next to a hooker with blood on my hands always gets the ladies.

Dan Neil was a really good player. He started right out of college and won two super bowls in his first two years. He was a big part of Denver's best OL lines. The lines that never received their due because they were undersized and everyone chalked it up to simply being more Alex Gibbs magic.

He is breaking down now though. He had knee surgery and a hernia last year. He missed a ton of games. He is 31 now and was due a big roster bonus.

If he is healthy, he will still be above average. I think his health is a big question though, and Denver did not want to pay him for that exact reason.

That being said he is going to get paid by somebody. Just not the Jets.

Now that's a nice breakdown, forget mine--I went off on a tangent--the 1980's Vikings and I mentioned I player I didn't even know of :lol:

Maxman, was that your info, or a cut and paste ....I thought you were the baseball poster :P

Thanks TS and faba...I like trying to add a little. Don't know Neil real well, but as Maxman said, he's kind of been dubbed a "system player" in Denver.

P.S: Maxman when I'm less "brain fried" I'll respond to your most recent PM----A facinating topic, I'd say :shock:

P.S 2X--The "whistling smiley" doesn't work for me...better get right on that :wink:

Now that's a nice breakdown, forget mine--I went off on a tangent--the 1980's Vikings and I mentioned I player I didn't even know of :lol:

Maxman, was that your info, or a cut and paste ....I thought you were the baseball poster :P

Thanks TS and faba...I like trying to add a little. Don't know Neil real well, but as Maxman said, he's kind of been dubbed a "system player" in Denver.

:

R44 that was not a cut and paste. Despite what TomShane will tell you I do know a little about football.

Now baseball though, Tommy won't mess with me in that forum.

Archived