If you're Brian Cashman, who would you trade Phillip Hughes for?

AFJF

We continue hearing that every time the Yanks call a team about a player, the first guy they ask for is Phillip Hughes.

Clearly the Yanks won't be trading him for the likes of Reggie Sanders (who I would be happy with on the Yanks, but not for Hughes) or Jacque Jones, but one player I would trade Hughes for is.....

Carl Crawford...The D' Rays would like to move his salary and no reason he couldn't be a regular 25-30 HR/50 SB guy for years to come if he played in Yankee Stadium. The past two seasons he's hit 11 HR, 15 HR, and with 10 already this year he should be mid 20's. His power is still developing and if you move him to Yankee Stadium and there's no reason to think his mid 20's won't turn in to 30. I'd trade an unknown commodity for a guy who could be 30/30 (or at least 25/25) for the next six or seven seasons.

Add to that the fact that Crawford has world class speed and would cover LCF in Yankee Stadium quite nicely.

I'll be very disappointed if the Yankees end up dealing Hughes for an OF who's got two or three decent years left, but I'd be fine with dealing him for a proven MLB player who can be an offensive catalyst and beat you several ways for years to come.

This is not to say the Yankees SHOULD trade Hughes, but if Cash has to make a deal before the deadlilne he's the guy teams are going to ask for and he may not have a choice unless he wants to make the post season with three OFers will will probably combine for 30 HRs this year or Sheff and Matsui fresh off the DL and no ABs in months.

Opinions?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm assuming Phillip Hughes is a top prospect in the Yanks farm system?

Who is suddenly worth as much as Chris Carpenter (reigning Cy Young winner) and Jason Marquis combined.

Apparently Phillip Hughes is not only a Yankee prospect, but the second coming of Christ, our Lord and Savior.

Keep it real folks. No way anybody is giving up two proven top of the line pitchers for a prospect. If anything, a team would give up a proven guy who's contract they would like to unload.

Phillip Hughes is the guy that GMs are asking for in a trade and for the right player I make the move, not expecting to get a #1 and #3 starter for an unproven MLB player.

Who is suddenly worth as much as Chris Carpenter (reigning Cy Young winner) and Jason Marquis combined.

Apparently Phillip Hughes is not only a Yankee prospect, but the second coming of Christ, our Lord and Savior.

No Milledge has that title locked up!

If I can get Crawford and a lower pitching prospect back for Hughes, I make the deal.

The way George has made beating Tampa a high priority over the years though makes me wonder just how interested their front office would be in helping the Yankees unless they robbed them.

I do not trade Hughes for any hitter in Baseball, outside of Puljois, at this time. SOrry, I may have rose colored glasses, but having seen him in 2 different levels in the Minors, including recently in Trenton in AA, this 20 year old (turns 20 tomorrow) has the goods. The Yankees have not had a pitcher with his stuff come through their system in the past 40 years. No exaggeration!! Mo, Petitte, Stot, Bahnsen, Guidry, et al. None have what Hughes has, stuff-wise.

There are certain pitchers I would consider, like Santana, who has the right combination of stuff and age, but few others.

Call me what you want, but just check out this guy. He is the goods. He's not ready yet, but after next season, he will be, at the latest.

If I can get Crawford and a lower pitching prospect back for Hughes, I make the deal.

The way George has made beating Tampa a high priority over the years though makes me wonder just how interested their front office would be in helping the Yankees unless they robbed them.

If Hughes becomes what I believe he will become, 2 Carl Crawfords would not do it.

He's not worth Carpenter and Marquis, but I said that because you do not trade your top pitching prospect who still is very young (19) for some bum outfiedler. You keep him unless you're getting better value on the pitching staff because games in October are won by the arms, not by the bats.

having seen him in 2 different levels in the Minors, including recently in Trenton in AA, this 20 year old (turns 20 tomorrow) has the goods. The Yankees have not had a pitcher with his stuff come through their system in the past 40 years. No exaggeration!! Mo, Petitte, Stot, Bahnsen, Guidry, et al. None have what Hughes has, stuff-wise.

There are certain pitchers I would consider, like Santana, who has the right combination of stuff and age, but few others.

brien taylor was the best pitching prospect the yankees had in the last 20 years and look what happened to him.

what happened to Taylor was a isolated incident, only a dumbass would compare these 2 situations

how about mark prior or kerry wood? 3 years ago people were putting them in Cooperstown and now neither of them can stay off the DL. Hughes is a nice prospect but he is still a prospect. if the a's wanted to move zito for hughes i would do it in a heartbeat. same can be said for numerous PROVEN major league pitchers.

i used to attend double-a games when the yankees were in albany-colonie. i cannot tell you the # of can't miss prospects that missed. 1 season leyritz won the league MVP and another AC Yankee won their version of the Cy Young. You know who that was? Steve Atkins. Ever heard of him? the list of failed prospects goes on and on, taylor was just 1 example of the #1 overall pick who threw 98 mph flaming out because his head was up his ass and he couldn't stay out of a fight in a trailor park with over $1M in the bank.

Max,

Some of the comments made within this thread moves the title over from Lastings, clearly.

The new nickname of the Yankees should be the "Bird in a Bush"

Well I don't agree entirely but I get your point.

Yankee fans are saying hold on to your best pitching prospect. If MBN thinks he is the real deal that is saying a lot, he knows the game.

The Lastings situation was a bit different. I was saying trade him for an ace (Zito). Met fans said no.

The point is pitching wins championships. If Hughes is or isn't the real deal...time will tell. But you need arms.

That and a quarter gives you 25 cents.

Nothing is more overvalued than prospects in the minor leagues.

Your opinion that Hughes is the best pitcher in the minor leagues- what do you have to back that bold statement up

Just Ask Max

You trade Hughes for a outfielder like Crawford - no brainer

I agree with Max's thinking on the Milledge-Zito deal. If the Mets can get Zito signed to a long term deal, it should be a no brainer straight up.

The Mets window is now. If you are confident in Trachsel or Soler pitching a Game 3 in any playoff Series, tied 1-1 and you need that game, then you are kidding yourself.

And, there is NO guarantee that the Mets are going to be in the same situation with this team in upcoming years Sh!t happens, and teams breakdown. Glavine and Pedro are no guarantee. And I am not sold on Humber or Pelfrey just yet. Call me teh anti_Yankee thinking guy (see this thread), but these minor league studs are just that.

If teh Mets don't make a strong July 31 pitching move, they are over playing this hand

I agree with Max's thinking on the Milledge-Zito deal. If the Mets can get Zito signed to a long term deal, it should be a no brainer straight up.

The Mets window is now. If you are confident in Trachsel or Soler pitching a Game 3 in any playoff Series, tied 1-1 and you need that game, then you are kidding yourself.

And, there is NO guarantee that the Mets are going to be in the same situation with this team in upcoming years Sh!t happens, and teams breakdown. Glavine and Pedro are no guarantee. And I am not sold on Humber or Pelfrey just yet. Call me teh anti_Yankee thinking guy (see this thread), but these minor league studs are just that.

If teh Mets don't make a strong July 31 pitching move, they are over playing this hand

Comeon, you've got El Duque for Game 3's. He's a playoff mastermind. Give him a shot.

Plus, if Zito was aquired for Lastings, he'd be the #2, Glavine #3.

But, I do agree, the Mets' time is now while the NL is very weak.

Comeon, you've got El Duque for Game 3's. He's a playoff mastermind. Give him a shot.

Plus, if Zito was aquired for Lastings, he'd be the #2, Glavine #3.

But, I do agree, the Mets' time is now while the NL is very weak.

Let me say that I am still not inspired with confidence. Any of those 3 can break down at any point. In fact, the odds favor it.

If the Mets stand pat, they are dumb

Bottom line is a player in the minor leagues none of us know how good or bad they will be in the majors- you either take a chance or not

Milledge can be a player for many years for the Mets- I would not give him up for Zito- I have stated that right from the beginning.

Minaya has shown try to win now and have the pieces for the future

Spare me "stuff" and "make-up".

My wife has pretty decent stuff, and she wears make-up. I would still trade her in teh right deal.

It's a little harder to judge then your wife cause i've never seen her but i've seen alot of Hughes and there is no doubt in my mind that he's going to be a top of the rotation starter. (and i'm not the only one who thinks that)

I'm also alot better at evaluating pitchers then women it seems...

Archived