Boston Herald Speaks on Derek Jeter

Smizzy

s_jeter2_i.jpg

Jeter the best: More to Yankees shortstop than big numbers

By Tony Massarotti/ Opinion

Monday, April 4, 2005 - Updated: 06:53 AM EST

NEW YORK - The best player in baseball never has led his league in home runs or RBI, stolen bases or batting average. But he does everything well - especially win - and he does it here, in New York, the grandest stage in all of professional sports.

If there is a better baseball player in the world than Derek Jeter, let him come forth.

``I've used this before, but if you drop somebody off from planet Mars down here and showed him (Miguel) Tejada's numbers, (Alex) Rodriguez' numbers or (Nomar) Garciaparra's numbers, Jeter may not end up in the top two or three,'' Yankees manager Joe Torre said recently, leading up to his team's 9-2 win over the Red Sox last night in the season opener at Yankee Stadium. ``But if you've watched what he means to a ballclub, you know how special he is.''

The New York Yankees [stats, schedule] have undergone some significant personnel changes in recent years, but remember this above all else: Jeter is still to be feared most. Randy Johnson changes the Yankees considerably and Alex Rodriguez may be the most talented player in the game, but Jeter is the proverbial straw that stirs the drink when it comes to baseball in New York.

A winner? Please. That term alone is an insult to Jeter's abilities on the playing field. Name the skill and Jeter can perform it, from the sacrifice bunt to the hit-and-run to the stolen base to the three-run double. He is not a power hitter, but he can hit home runs. He steals bases. He hits in the clutch. Last season, he won his first Gold Glove.

Name one thing he can't do.

One.

``With our club, I think he has that opportunity - because he's surrounded by a lot of talent - to highlight what he does,'' Torre said. ``Derek is a guy you trust. I don't know any better way to describe it.''

Baseball is a game of debates, of course, the most common of which may be this: Who is the best player in the game? That question was posed to a handful of Sox players recently, and the answers were what you would expect.

Barry Bonds. Ichiro Suzuki. Even Manny Ramirez ,whose abilities in the batter's box cannot be questioned.

Jeter, who went 2-for-5 last night with two runs scored, is rarely included in this kind of argument, most notably because he lacks the kind of numbers that win over those who have not seen him play. Entering this seaon, Jeter had 1,734 career hits in nine major league seasons, but he has led the league in hits just once. He had scored 1,037 runs, again leading the league only once. He has never stolen more than 32 bases in a season, never hit more than 24 home runs, once finished with more than 84 RBI.

As a result, in explaining Jeter's greatness, most people use catch-all terms like intangibles. It is the easiest way to explain the true breadth of Jeter's abilities without getting into the specifics.

But really, it is so much more than that. Jeter batted leadoff last night for Torre's Yankees, but he just as easily could have batted second, third, sixth, seventh or ninth. Each of those positions in the batting order requires its own unique set of skills, but the simple truth is that Derek Jeter possesses them all.

And that does not even begin to address issues of leadership and poise.

``They talk about him like we talk about (Jason) Varitek,'' Red Sox manager Terry Francona said of Jeter. ``And that's a pretty big compliment.''

The best player in baseball.

You can have anyone you want.

I'll take Derek Jeter.

http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view.bg?articleid=76420&format=&page=1

I'd take at least 20 guys over Jeter.

Jeter isn't a player that you can build a team around. He's merely the cog in the Yankee machine that's been there the longest.

If he'd been a Royal for the past nine years, he'd be no more notable than the Brian Roberts' and Jerry Hairstons' of the world.

Jeter isn't a player that you can build a team around. He's merely the cog in the Yankee machine that's been there the longest.

If he'd been a Royal for the past nine years, he'd be no more notable than the Brian Roberts' and Jerry Hairstons' of the world.

You have got to be kidding me with this nonsense.

Sure there is a list of guys id take over Jeter,he isn't just some bum who is being glorified for wearing Pinstripes. The kid does it all,the complete package and in an era where everybody id juicing....Ill take Derek Jeter and his intangibles day of the week.

25 Hr's from a SS is great add his 110 runs,190 hits and his 75-80 Rbi's a year make him a hell of a lot better then the Brain Roberts of the world.

Jeter is a great player but nowhere near the best in the game.

Even before roids Bonds had a handful of MVP's, 8 Gold Gloves and 500 stolen bases. Jeter will approach none of those when all is said in done.

If Jeter had toiled in say San Diego for his career, we'd never even read such a article.

I respect all he brings to the game but Jeter is a great player who was on the right team at the right time. That team enabled him to be labeled a winner and 4 time World Champion but it doesn't make him the best in the game.

Jeter made that columnist look like a genius today, but not to Yankee fans ... HO HUM ... Just another BIG MOMENT where DJ takes the bull by the horns

If you're a Yankee fan who has watched this kid for nine years, day in and day out, you have come to expect it ... even take it for granted

HO HUM ... PAR FOR THE COURSE ... SEEN IT A MILLION TIMES

Regular Season ... Post Season ... World Series

Seen it a million times ... in all of the above

Jeter made that columnist look like a genius today, but not to Yankee fans ... HO HUM ... Just another BIG MOMENT where DJ takes the bull by the horns

If you're a Yankee fan who has watched this kid for nine years, day in and day out, you have come to expect it ... even take it for granted

HO HUM ... PAR FOR THE COURSE ... SEEN IT A MILLION TIMES

Regular Season ... Post Season ... World Series

Seen it a million times ... in all of the above

Bingo.

Plus he's the best teammate ive seen since Donny baseball. A true leader.

Plays hurt,hustles and never complains and acts like a jerkoff.

Oh & let's not forget he is drilling all the HOT CHICKS.

This man has the luckiest hands in the history of the world. All those rings...all those ladies :wink:

Makes you wonder why this guy was ever acquired:

10202289.jpg

Because he's a living HOF and one of the best hitters in the league. He's also the greatest SS to ever play the game.

Give him till the all star break and come talk to me.

Because he's a living HOF and one of the best hitters in the league. He's also the greatest SS to ever play the game.

Give him till the all star break and come talk to me.

Yawn. Let's see the "greatest SS ever" produce when it counts. Thus far, every team he's been on has not only been worse off when he was there, but immediately had great seasons the year after he left (Seattle winning 116 games, Texas last year).

Like I said before......

BY FAR THE BEST SS IN MLB

Tejada and Nosemar can't hold Jeters jock.

And don't give me that, if he was in a small market nobody would know him..........

Thats just bullcrap :D

Two games does not a season make.

Is Dmitri Young Cecil Fielder now? :lol:

Thats right, live it up now in early April...But remember...you're one or two large-scale Yankee collapses away from Captain Overrated being railroaded out of town like Reggie and A-hole being the SS for the next 10 years.

I always thought that was why fat george brought A-hole to the Bronx

Thats right, live it up now in early April...But remember...you're one or two large-scale Yankee collapses away from Captain Overrated being railroaded out of town like Reggie and A-hole being the SS for the next 10 years.

Like the sox have been?

like we've been what?

Married to our big name shortstop? Actually, we ran ours out of town and rewrote the history books because of it.

You may be rubbing one out to DJ right now...but even he is not above reproach in the eyes of fat george. And fat george doesnt love Jeter because he doesnt love Yankee homegrowns, at least not like he loves other teams' stars. He loves A-Rod & if you dont think DJ can be moved out of town on a steinbrenner whim, then you dont know Yankee history.

I give the Yankees a very small chance to win it all this year. I think its likely they'll choke yet again for a variety of reasons...stranger things have happened in the Bronx than Capt. Overrated being sent packing!

100$ says Manny Rameriz is out of Boston before Jeter is out of NY.

Oh & like what? Like watching the sox run off at the mouth ,living it up for months like they just won 6 straight world series.

Making records,writting books,Tv shows....Live it up,just like you said.

Nancy boy.

its funny how a Red Sox fan is going to rag on another team for collapsing when his teams entire history has been revolving around the same word :lol:

well guess what. nobody gives a spit about the royals!! their almost never playing for anything after early july but #'s anyway. jeter plays for the new york yankees. if you don't think their's a huge difference in pressure, you're kidding yourself. big #'s for the royals, is like leading the league in scoring for the clippers. big effin deal.

Archived