What was the NUMBER ONE reason for 4-12 season?

BwanaZulia

What was the NUMBER ONE reason for 4-12 season?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. What was the NUMBER ONE reason for 4-12 season?

• Injuries
    • The schedule
    • Herman Edwards
    • Bad Luck
    • Weekly Gameplan
    • Lack of talent
    • Overall Coaches

So the Colts / Pats / Steelers would have won if they lost for the season...

2 QBs

2 RBs

1 C

1 TE

(there were more)

BZ

BZ, let me ask you something. How well was this team prepared against the Chiefs before the injury bug? To get blown out like that was a team not very well coached or prepared in my opinion.

Edwards previous years of easy practices and lax rules finally exploded.

Injuries in large part due to 50% of team being overweight, and no fines to go with that.

The lack of discipline wasnt there to hold team together as the 'pushed by herm too soon' injury to chad set the team back mentally.

Bad team, bad coaching, misguided construction of team, failure to recognize where the team was and general shortsightedness.

Injuries played a small part, but you get the idea.

SD, good post,,

but,,,

I am flabbbergasted that more isnt written in this day and age of 'team' football that 50% of the team was over playing weight and NOT fined due to Herms insistence,,doesnt this fact alone show the total lack of discipline he expected on team..

some may say 'he was treating them as men'' BS,, when 50% are overweight u have a epidemic , and not to fine basically shows why they are overweight to begin with,,lack of respect for the HC

SD, good post,,

but,,,

I am flabbbergasted that more isnt written in this day and age of 'team' football that 50% of the team was over playing weight and NOT fined due to Herms insistence,,doesnt this fact alone show the total lack of discipline he expected on team..

some may say 'he was treating them as men'' BS,, when 50% are overweight u have a epidemic , and not to fine basically shows why they are overweight to begin with,,lack of respect for the HC

SJ-That would be too analytical and considered "hypothesizing" by the press. It would be picking at a scab, and teh press needs to maintain some relationship (especially the beat guys) and they won't pick at a scab. Not until the wound is fully healed.

Football coverage is tough, and you have to read between the lines to get the true story.

BZ, let me ask you something. How well was this team prepared against the Chiefs before the injury bug? To get blown out like that was a team not very well coached or prepared in my opinion.

They were not prepared and got blown out. No doubt.

The rest of the season went down the tube, though, when Chad/Jay got hurt. That was it.

The Jets got blown out WORSE laters against the Pats, Panthers and Broncos.

10 | at Carolina Panthers | L | 3-30 |

11 | at Denver Broncos | L | 0-27 |

13 | at New England Patriots | L | 3-16 |

BZ

Injuries.

We were a playoff team without them a year before and aside from a couple of lesser players, all the big names were kept in tack.

Herm would've had us in the playoffs again if it weren't for the injuries.

Injuries.

We were a playoff team without them a year before and aside from a couple of lesser players, all the big names were kept in tack.

Herm would've had us in the playoffs again if it weren't for the injuries.

without bbq's and mini-camp pie eating contests you don't have overweight slugs tearing muscles and ligaments on the sidelines. he may motivate guys to give their all on the field but if you don't take practice and conditioning just as seriously and give it your all you will at best lose and at worst destroy your body trying to be a weekend warrior.

I actually said it was injuries, which goes against my better impulses. Injuries were the direct reason we were 4-12. Without the injuries I think we would've won another 3-4 games and that 7-9.8-8 record with good talent would be because of coaching. But without Edwards, as #90 said, I don't think there would've been so many season-ending injuries (particularly so early-on) with someone else in charge.

No matter how good a coach is (let's use BB as a standard of excellence, which I'm comfortable with), there are always injuries to deal with. I've heard about too many NE injuries to be fooled into thinking that only bad coaches' players get injured. But when you hear things like your team's strength & conditioning coach leaving b/c the HC doesn't back him & you can see for yourself the players getting winded in the first quarter of week 1, and - most of all - when your coach puts a surgically repaired shoulder back in the lineup prematurely, you know where to lay the blame indirectly.

Edwards previous years of easy practices and lax rules finally exploded.

Injuries in large part due to 50% of team being overweight, and no fines to go with that.

The lack of discipline wasnt there to hold team together as the 'pushed by herm too soon' injury to chad set the team back mentally.

Who was overweight? Curtis Martin? Mawae's finger? Pennington and Feidler? Blaylock? Lax practices over previous seasons did not cause those injuries. The positions we tried to shore up with FA signings got hurt, Blaylock and Feidler weren't recipients of Herm's easy practices over the years. Most of it is luck. Some is people being pushed when they aren't ready. Some players you can expect to get hurt during the course of a 16 game season-Pennington, Abraham, Law. Team could/should have had a better record anyway.

Who was overweight? Curtis Martin? Mawae's finger? Pennington and Feidler? Blaylock? Lax practices over previous seasons did not cause those injuries. The positions we tried to shore up with FA signings got hurt, Blaylock and Feidler weren't recipients of Herm's easy practices over the years. Most of it is luck. Some is people being pushed when they aren't ready. Some players you can expect to get hurt during the course of a 16 game season-Pennington, Abraham, Law. Team could/should have had a better record anyway.

again, ,as reported in sevral papers last year,,50% of team was over playing weight and Herm put the stop on any fines,,

dont need anymore info than that to tell u about team respect and discipline,,

maybe th eteam could have played better with other injuries if they werent overweight,,

Injuries = Bad conditioning = a joke of a conditioning program = Herm !!!!!!!

Didn't Herm also decide to let go of out head trainer, who had had a terrific track record previously? He may not have directly made that decision, but nonetheless, he could have told Bradway that he was indispensible, for sure. This can be traced back to him having zero communication skills and lack of understanding of the value of the resources surrounding him.

again, ,as reported in sevral papers last year,,50% of team was over playing weight and Herm put the stop on any fines,,

dont need anymore info than that to tell u about team respect and discipline,,

maybe th eteam could have played better with other injuries if they werent overweight,,

just take a look at the O-line playing overweight makes you a half step slower causing more QB pressure and "playing high".That one fact could have been the reason we HAD those injuries at the most critical position on the feild-QB.Also,I couldn't frickin believe that Mawae had no clue on how to snap a shotgun-that the was coaching staff's bad-again-how could Edwards NOt have known?It's truly mind boggling when I think about it in retrospect

The Pats lost more man-games due to injuries than any team in the NFL, including the Jets, last year.

They still won the AFCE.

Injuries are excuses.

yea but it's WHERE you lose them-how did NE fare against Miami without Brady?

The Pats lost more man-games due to injuries than any team in the NFL, including the Jets, last year.

They still won the AFCE.

Injuries are excuses.

So if the Pats lost their starting two QBs, Center, two RBs and a TE they would have won the East?

Please. Your glass house is about to come shattering down all around.

Beware the shards.

BZ

So if the Pats lost their starting two QBs, Center, two RBs and a TE they would have won the East?

Please. Your glass house is about to come shattering down all around.

Beware the shards.

BZ

BZ, we still would not have won WITH those guys healthy, that is the point. Our offense was absolutely worthless with or without healthy bodies in the lineup. Remember the Chiefs game in week 1? We were absolutely manhandled despite being perfectly healthy, and even then I think Herm was having wet dreams about the KC job opening up. Injuries were not the main reason for our failure, we probably would have gone about 6-10 with full health. The # 1 problem was likely lack of talent, although I still believe the buck stops at the top, meaning Herm Edwards and the front office is to blame.

BZ, we still would not have won WITH those guys healthy, that is the point. Our offense was absolutely worthless with or without healthy bodies in the lineup. Remember the Chiefs game in week 1? We were absolutely manhandled despite being perfectly healthy, and even then I think Herm was having wet dreams about the KC job opening up. Injuries were not the main reason for our failure, we probably would have gone about 6-10 with full health. The # 1 problem was likely lack of talent, although I still believe the buck stops at the top, meaning Herm Edwards and the front office is to blame.

I don't think you can really say that-it turned into a cumulative effect-the defense figured why even bother our offense can't score anyway and they're leaving us out to dry for 42 minutes agame F-it.Had we scored or put up some of those Chad-like 7:50 drives who knows how it could have turned out..

I don't think you can really say that-it turned into a cumulative effect-the defense figured why even bother our offense can't score anyway and they're leaving us out to dry for 42 minutes agame F-it.Had we scored or put up some of those Chad-like 7:50 drives who knows how it could have turned out..

So the defense just said f*uck it, risking their jobs because the game was out of reach and they didn't "feel like" trying anymore?

OK, I'll bite. If that really was the case, can the blame be placed on injuries anymore? Wouldn't that be moreso on the COACHING STAFF? I thought Herm was supposed to be a "master motivator"? :lol:

That phrase sounds funnier than ever these days.

It was the same "worthless" group that went into the playoffs 9 months before.

I just don't buy it.

BZ

It was the same "worthless" group that went into the playoffs 9 months before.

I just don't buy it.

BZ

Yes, and what an impressive playoff season that was. The Jets went 5-0 against the scum of the NFL (5-0 is 5-0, but the Jets' "true colors" showed when they finished the season 5-6), and if not for a missed chip shot by Nate Kaeding, would have been one and done. And don't forget, this season was sandwiched in between a tremendous 6-10 season the year before, a 9-7 miracle 3-way-tie-division-title the year before, and only a John Hall 55-yard FG put us into the playoffs the season before that, after which we went down easily in round 1. Again, it's easy to say this team had the coaching and the talent to win when you paint the rosy view of it, saying we made the playoffs 3 of the previous 4 years. But we got a lot of help each year we succeeded, and had tremendous failures in the season's we missed out.

Yes, and what an impressive playoff season that was. The Jets went 5-0 against the scum of the NFL (5-0 is 5-0, but the Jets' "true colors" showed when they finished the season 5-6), and if not for a missed chip shot by Nate Kaeding, would have been one and done. And don't forget, this season was sandwiched in between a tremendous 6-10 season the year before, a 9-7 miracle 3-way-tie-division-title the year before, and only a John Hall 55-yard FG put us into the playoffs the season before that, after which we went down easily in round 1. Again, it's easy to say this team had the coaching and the talent to win when you paint the rosy view of it, saying we made the playoffs 3 of the previous 4 years. But we got a lot of help each year we succeeded, and had tremendous failures in the season's we missed out.

Every team that makes that playoffs gets a little help.

The question is not that you don't get a little help, but do you take advantagve of it when you do.

BZ

Archived