Patriots Next Head Coach

Maxman

We all know Belichek will screw over the Patriots eventually. It is the way the sports world works. Plus he has no soul. So it is definitely what he will do.

So just for the sake of a good offseason debate let's say this happened after this upcoming season. Maybe he gets "burned out". Or the "Man in the mirror" tells him it is time to go.

He writes a lengthy note: "I hereby resign as H.C. of the NEP".

Who would you hire to replace him?

We all know Belichek will screw over the Patriots eventually. It is the way the sports world works. Plus he has no soul. So it is definitely what he will do.

So just for the sake of a good offseason debate let's say this happened after this upcoming season. Maybe he gets "burned out". Or the "Man in the mirror" tells him it is time to go.

The real Dick Kotite.

My bet is that he retires from coaching after his LONG stint with the Pats - travel from his home in Weston, MASS to one of his two homes on Nantucket - continue to coach in the Weston laccrosee league.

Still, I do take solice in the fact that if BB does "screw over the Pats" it will be after at least three SB titles... :wink:

Herman Edwards, anyone? GOD, that would be sweet justice.

Right. Like anyone ELSE is going to make that mistake.

Well, maybe Arizona.

It won't be Mangini. He'll be hired away by someone else before Mumbles hangs 'em up.

My bet is that he retires from coaching after his LONG stint with the Pats - travel from his home in Weston, MASS to one of his two homes on Nantucket - continue to coach in the Weston laccrosee league.

Still, I do take solice in the fact that if BB does "screw over the Pats" it will be after at least three SB titles... :wink:

Belicheck was a lax player?

Belicheck was a lax player?

http://www.allthingsbillbelichick.com/articles/thinkingman.htm

from that article...

Now lacrosse, that was the sport Belichick really excelled at on the field. That's what he played in high school in Annapolis, Maryland, and during a post-grad prep school year at Phillips Andover in Massachusetts. And this being the late '60s and early '70s, lacrosse was really only played at places like Phillips Andover. It was one of those sports that if someone had the inclination to play at college, they could pretty much walk on and play at the varsity level, right next to someone like Belichick, who had been playing for years. And Belichick, already coaching, patiently made them better.

"He played on a line with two kids who had never played before. By the time they were seniors they were outstanding lacrosse players. They were an outstanding team his senior year," says Terry Jackson, a Wesleyan assistant lacrosse coach during Belichick's first two years on the squad, and the head coach the last two.

...this past winter Lacrosse Magazine had an article on famous former players, Jim Brown on the cover, there was a picture of Beli and his team, but I can't find it on line.

I think Belichick will walk away when his contract expires. He might stick around though.

How can he possibly screw over The Pats. He's already given that organization so much. If he walked away tommorow. He doesn't owe them anything.

I'd love for my head coach to win 3 superbowls and then "screw me and leave". That's a nice parting gift.

The Patriots are now a world championship organization. One of the finest in all of sports. Nothing can take away what Belichick has done for that franchise.

If he walks away in a couple of years, I think Mangini will get groomed for that job to replace him.

In two years, Pioli and BB could both ge gone. The organization could go through some big changes in the future.

But they've already done the job and then some. You can't erase it.

As far as Edwards goes. It would be funny if The Pats hired him. Knowing The Jets luck. Herm will win a superbowl with The Pats.

Just like Belichick and Pete Carroll have won championships after leaving The Jets.

I think Belichick will walk away when his contract expires. He might stick around though.

How can he possibly screw over The Pats. He's already given that organization so much. If he walked away tommorow. He doesn't owe them anything.

I'd love for my head coach to win 3 superbowls and then "screw me and leave". That's a nice parting gift.

The Patriots are now a world championship organization. One of the finest in all of sports. Nothing can take away what Belichick has done for that franchise.

If he walks away in a couple of years, I think Mangini will get groomed for that job to replace him.

In two years, Pioli and BB could both ge gone. The organization could go through some big changes in the future.

But they've already done the job and then some. You can't erase it.

As far as Edwards goes. It would be funny if The Pats hired him. Knowing The Jets luck. Herm will win a superbowl with The Pats.

Just like Belichick and Pete Carroll have won championships after leaving The Jets.

Well put.

http://www.allthingsbillbelichick.com/articles/thinkingman.htm

from that article...

Now lacrosse, that was the sport Belichick really excelled at on the field. That's what he played in high school in Annapolis, Maryland, and during a post-grad prep school year at Phillips Andover in Massachusetts. And this being the late '60s and early '70s, lacrosse was really only played at places like Phillips Andover. It was one of those sports that if someone had the inclination to play at college, they could pretty much walk on and play at the varsity level, right next to someone like Belichick, who had been playing for years. And Belichick, already coaching, patiently made them better.

"He played on a line with two kids who had never played before. By the time they were seniors they were outstanding lacrosse players. They were an outstanding team his senior year," says Terry Jackson, a Wesleyan assistant lacrosse coach during Belichick's first two years on the squad, and the head coach the last two.

...this past winter Lacrosse Magazine had an article on famous former players, Jim Brown on the cover, there was a picture of Beli and his team, but I can't find it on line.

That's cool, did you play lax? I played at Yorktown in Westchester County, graduated class of 2002.

You never know by the time Belichick walks away (if he does) Charlie Weiss might be ready to come back to the pros.

If he hits a homerun at Notre Dame like Petey did at USC. He'll be in line for an NFL head coaching job in the future.

My top candidates for a head coaching job in the future.

Both Jets coordinators.

Bob Stoops

Kirk Ferentz

Gregg Williams(deserves a 2nd go round)

Eric Mangini (He's headed there)

Jim Johnson-Eagles DC (Like Romeo, He deserves a shot)

I do not think it will be when his contract expires like YJF suggests, but trying to get a finger on the pulse of the Patriots is impossible.

Belichick appears to be the anti-Par$ells. He is not looking for more money or the next opportunity like Par$ells did by entertaining Tampa, Atlanta, New England, Jets and Dallas over the years. He also seems to be interested in looking at the long term helath of his team as oppossed to Par$ells win now screw tomorrow approach.

What we know is that Belichick has had football in his life since early in his childhood. He is 52 and has been in the NFL for 30 years. Belichcik will be in football as long as he wants to be. I do not see him going fishing like Jimmie Johnson did and appear on a weekly game day show.

Bryan Cox was interviewed during Superbowl week and he says Belichick has changed. Not just from his days at Cleveland, but he was talking about when he was with New York. He is much more personable now and seems to have an outward love for the game and his job.

The question is, when does a hard driven man that analyzed game film at the age of nine with his dad, has been in the NFL for sixty percent of his life and loves his current job want to leave? Does he leave today, tommorrow or after his current contract and regret in 10 years from leaving too early? Does he allow his tank to run dry and wait too long before hanging them up?

IMHO it is somewhere in between. I doubt he leaves too early because if he has the itch again, it might be impossible to set himself up in the situation he is in now and be able to scratch it. He is too smart to let the game pass him. I think he will coach until he wants to be an honorary history professor at Weselyean or Harrr-vard. My guess it is a good 10 or more years away.

yes...a little before your time played in HS and College, graduated in the early '80's. :shock:

Cool...thats when the plastic heads just started coming around...right? The days of the box hemlet were classic. hahahaha...where did u play ball in HS?

Cool...thats when the plastic heads just started coming around...right? The days of the box hemlet were classic. hahahaha...where did u play ball in HS?

Believe it or not one of my HS coaches helped design the Brine Superlight II, pretty inovative at the time, even though I preferred STX...I played at Manhasset.

Believe it or not one of my HS coaches helped design the Brine Superlight II, pretty inovative at the time, even though I preferred STX...I played at Manhasset.

Nice, deep tradition there...we always faced the Island in the state semis and for awhile you were putting a serious hurt on our squad, that was until 03' when we won it all. Never played Manhassest only Melville, St. Anthony's, Sold spring harbor, and comeswouge in real games.

Nice, deep tradition there...we always faced the Island in the state semis and for awhile you were putting a serious hurt on our squad, that was until 03' when we won it all. Never played Manhassest only Melville, St. Anthony's, Sold spring harbor, and comeswouge in real games.

We were pretty good in my day, I think we played Yorktown my Junior or Senior year, early in the season, can't remember for sure...I do know we blew it in the playoffs when we should have won the States.

We were pretty good in my day, I think we played Yorktown my Junior or Senior year, early in the season, can't remember for sure...I do know we blew it in the playoffs when we should have won the States.

Thats cool, Jim Brown played at Manhasset right? I saw film from him at Cuse' unreal, what he could do even with a lax stick.

Thats cool, Jim Brown played at Manhasset right? I saw film from him at Cuse' unreal, what he could do even with a lax stick.

Yes, he showed for an alumni game once years ago...we couldn't get him on the field though, probably a good thing he looked to be in great shape, he might have messed someone up!

• 9 months later...

Archived