Is Fred Jetstone actually Dan Leberfeld?

SoFlaJets

Ramsey gets an extension

By: Dan Leberfeld

Date: Jul 11, 2006

So it might not be an even playing field after all. Coming off a bad minicamp, and a poor season in Washington two years ago, the Jets rewarded quarterback Patrick Ramsey with a contract extension.

The announcement was made by Daily News beat writer Rich Cimini.

"Adding some stability to their long-term quarterback situation, the Jets quietly extended the contract of newcomer Patrick Ramsey, who will compete with Chad Pennington for the starting job in training camp," wrote Cimini in Tuesday's Daily News. "Ramsey, acquired in a March trade with the Redskins, was due to become an unrestricted free agent after the upcoming season, but he received a one-year, $2.1 million extension through 2007."

All spring Jets coach Eric Mangini said that the quarterback position will be an open competition featuring Ramsey, Chad Pennington, Brooks Bollinger and Kellen Clemens.

But Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum just tilted the even playing field. Remember both Ramsey and Bollinger were entering the final year of their deals in 2006. Since Ramsey got an extension, and Bollinger didn't, the team has clearly decided they like Ramsey better than Bollinger.

So much for an open competition.

Someone tell Leberfeld that Ramsey's extension isn't really much of anything. He gets 250K up front, roster bonus. He wasn't getting cut this year anyway, so for 250K up front, they get a deal for next year they can just eliminate without cap penalty before March....

Someone tell Leberfeld that Ramsey's extension isn't really much of anything. He gets 250K up front, roster bonus. He wasn't getting cut this year anyway, so for 250K up front, they get a deal for next year they can just eliminate without cap penalty before March....

There was talk that Ramsey wasn't looking too well and that Bollinger had a chance to beat him out...guess that can go to rest now, finally.

Hopefully we give Ramsey a shot, I'd love to see what he could do. I love all of our 3 QB's, anyone who starts I'm excited for 06 and to see how they do...even though I'm sure Chad will disappoint us all once again.

There was talk that Ramsey wasn't looking too well and that Bollinger had a chance to beat him out...guess that can go to rest now, finally.

Hopefully we give Ramsey a shot, I'd love to see what he could do. I love all of our 3 QB's, anyone who starts I'm excited for 06 and to see how they do...even though I'm sure Chad will disappoint us all once again.

Bollinger can't beat out my high school's QB..

Ok, maybe an exaggeration, but Bollinger is awful.

I agree with you a 100 percent 4H. I'm not saying the Brooks is a great QB, I'm just saying the guy did a decent job with a crap situation. Imagine what he could do with some linement that actually block.

I agree with you 110 percent 4H & CoachTsurfing.

And I AM saying the brooks is a great QB, he did a MAGNIFICENT job in the WORST situation the NFL has ever known.

With a little blocking and a little coaching, Bolly is another John Elway, better even.

Additionally, I must say that Dan Leberfeld has the best insight on the Jets in general and the qb situation in particular, he calls it like he see's it, pure logic, common sense.

I hope Mangini isn't two-faced like Herm.

I hope there is no anti-Bolly conspiracy afoot, cause if there is I am going to expose it.

We're coming out of the age of Pisces into the age of aquarius, this new age will be marked by revelation, the truth behind the facade will be easier to see, the phonies will be exposed.

Watch out Mangini, you're on thin ice. You're being watched. "Open and fair competition", those are your words.

I'd go on but I have a couple of swimsuit models beging me to join them in the jacuzzi.

I come graymalkin, paddock calls, anon.

How can anyone assess Bollinger when he was playing with a destroyed offensive line, a very limited playbook and conservative coach?

You can still evaluate how scared he looked when the rush was coming. I don't care how bad the line is, it's not justified to be scared. You can see how his ball fluttered and how many he had batted down because he's so short.

You can still evaluate how scared he looked when the rush was coming. I don't care how bad the line is, it's not justified to be scared. You can see how his ball fluttered and how many he had batted down because he's so short.

David Carr

I can say this Fred- Edwards did him dirty IMO-Heimerdinger too-I'll never forget seeing his father watching him from the stands against Baltimore in his first start-as a father I can tell you this I would have wanted to punch somebody-like I'm sure he did that day.They showed ZERO confidence in him.

One more thing if Chad is done Brooks'll be on the roster and then maybe we get to see what YOU have been raving about with him not running for his life every time he drops back.He has been a good soldier for the Jets and if he doesn't make it I,for one will thank him and wish him all the best.

Come on guys, this isn't some cute story with a fairytale ending. Bollywood plays like he's 6 ft tall...just what he is. Brees, who is probably the same height plays bigger. I wish we had some kind of stat where we can compare how many balls each of these QB's got battered down last year.

I don't care how many All Pro linemen we have, Bollywood can't see the forest through the trees. Yeah, he made some plays...that's what he's paid for...he's not the long term answer.

I can say this Fred- Edwards did him dirty IMO-Heimerdinger too-I'll never forget seeing his father watching him from the stands against Baltimore in his first start-as a father I can tell you this I would have wanted to punch somebody-like I'm sure he did that day.They showed ZERO confidence in him.

One more thing if Chad is done Brooks'll be on the roster and then maybe we get to see what YOU have been raving about with him not running for his life every time he drops back.He has been a good soldier for the Jets and if he doesn't make it I,for one will thank him and wish him all the best.

What a class act this poster is.

The rest of you out there in Jet Nation, you could learn a thing or two from this guy, SoFlaJets.

Also, let me adress the so-called batted down issue. It was another unfair rap. Even Hermerjerker said the batted down balls were the result of defenders getting penetration into the backfield.

And the scared of the rush issue. Hahahahaaa. What a joke. Bolly certainly did scramble when 3 or 4 defenders came at him unblocked, yeah, what do you expect him to do, stand there and twidle his thumbs?

Furthermore, there isn't one sack he didn't get up from, and the improvement, what about the improvement, towards the end of the season against Miami and Buffalo he was looking like a young John Elway.

Give him a game plan and a modicum of protection and baby, you're gonna see a super bowl. Write it down.

thanks Fred but to tell you the truth I'm pretty sure that 90% of the Jets fans on both boards would be giving him props and thanking him for his service-like I said before in another thread (I think) we as a fan base love our players-most of them anyway-at least the ones who are team-first guys(like Brooks) and not so much the me-firsters like Abraham was

Or product of an awful line since being drafted.....thats the debate

No debate for me.... I know his line blows, but he's scared of the rush. I don't care how many times you get hit, if you start ducking before they get there, you are not a NFL quality QB in my book. Even with no rush, Carr is inaccurate.

This is a good post. The article is misleading in that it doesn't show how little risk was involved in it.

This is a good post. The article is misleading in that it doesn't show how little risk was involved in it.

Absolutely 0 risk. If they want to cut Ramsey, 250K is not going to stop them. However, he's not being cut, so to get a quarter million in Ramsey's pocket, they get a REASONABLE contract for next year. Ramsey goes NUTS this year, and he's still signed for 2007. Ramsey blows? He's cut, and no 2007 cap hit

Absolutely 0 risk. If they want to cut Ramsey, 250K is not going to stop them. However, he's not being cut, so to get a quarter million in Ramsey's pocket, they get a REASONABLE contract for next year. Ramsey goes NUTS this year, and he's still signed for 2007. Ramsey blows? He's cut, and no 2007 cap hit

Man when you think of it that way...it seems like the Jets actually know what they are doing. Almost like they are thinking this stuff through.

A good sign indeed!

Fred Jetstone? Fred Jetstone?! I registered here a long while back and never posted until now. My first thought was no, he isn't Dan Leberfeld, but there's a good chance he's 'George Jetson'. Ah, I'm sure that's been gone over before, and plenty at that. Hello, all, by the way.

Fred Jetstone? Fred Jetstone?! I registered here a long while back and never posted until now. My first thought was no, he isn't Dan Leberfeld, but there's a good chance he's 'George Jetson'. Ah, I'm sure that's been gone over before, and plenty at that. Hello, all, by the way.

Welcome Jetophile, great screen name!

No debate for me.... I know his line blows, but he's scared of the rush. I don't care how many times you get hit, if you start ducking before they get there, you are not a NFL quality QB in my book. Even with no rush, Carr is inaccurate.
This kid is not scared of the rush. What's to be afraid of? He took every kind of hard knock the league had to offer last season. He may be surprised at the rush and how quick they were on him, but not scared.

Welcome Jetophile, great screen name!

Hey, thanks. :) Rabid, long time, die-hard Jets fan here. That George Jetson thing, I could be wrong but it's too uncanny. Big on Bollinger from another site, his schtick was "From clipboard to Canton..." I always thought it was pretty amusing. Seems like a very nice and personable place. I hope to have some fun here, share some good football talk.

I hope to have some fun here, share some good football talk.

Welcome! I think we are all dying, waiting for camp to start. Except Jetstone. Once camp starts Bolly gets closer to being cut!

:P

Archived