Forget About Zito....

toon88

Are you even going to read what I'm typing? In no way did I deny that he was a very good prospect; but he is still in Single A and his first year of professional baseball in the US; he has yet to even hit a major slump to break out of.

I said he was gaining on millage and being a top 20 prospect in baseball at 17 is doing just that.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I said he was gaining on millage and being a top 20 prospect in baseball at 17 is doing just that.

And like I said, he won't necessarily keep that pace because he hasn't hit any rifts and everyone is buying into pure hype. He is still nowhere near Milledge.

Because i've seen all 3 pitch many times, read scouting reports and follow minor league baseball.

And all of this, plus 50 cents gets you a cup of coffee.

Look at the top 100 prospects of theminors 6 years ago. Half of them are now where to be found. A quarter of them are just banging around teh league. 10 of them are very very good players. The rest are decent players.

It is a coin flip still, at this stage. There are no givens.

If the top organizations and players were to work out to the plan, we might as well forgewt playing baseball in NY right now. The Dodgers and the Diamond backs will have such a lock on the league, no one else will have a chance.

And all of this, plus 50 cents gets you a cup of coffee.

Look at the top 100 prospects of theminors 6 years ago. Half of them are now where to be found. A quarter of them are just banging around teh league. 10 of them are very very good players. The rest are decent players.

It is a coin flip still, at this stage. There are no givens.

If the top organizations and players were to work out to the plan, we might as well forgewt playing baseball in NY right now. The Dodgers and the Diamond backs will have such a lock on the league, no one else will have a chance.

The only way to judge prospects is against OTHER PROSPECTS.

No offense but no one on this board is a baseball expert that can definitely say any prospect is better than another-it is only your opinion

When every scouting service agrees with you then there is a good chance it's more then your opinion...

When every scouting service agrees with you then there is a good chance it's more then your opinion...

So every single one of the thousands of scouts agreed with your opinions? Why aren't you a scout? Why are you spewing bullsh*it out of your ass on a Jets message board?

In that case, Brien Taylor is the greatest prospect who ever lived. He outshined everyone when he was in the minors.

Look at you wrong again. Taylor was NOWHERE NEAR as good in the minors as Hughes or Bailey have been not to mention that he never got past lowA while Hughes and Bailey have dominated every level up to AA. And are WIDELY considered the 1 and 2 pitching prospects in the game.

Look at you wrong again. Taylor was NOWHERE NEAR as good in the minors as Hughes or Bailey have been not to mention that he never got past lowA while Hughes and Bailey have dominated every level up to AA. And are WIDELY considered the 1 and 2 pitching prospects in the game.

Which means absolutely nothing until they produce at the Major League level.

This has gone on for 9 pages now. I'm done.

So every single one of the thousands of scouts agreed with your opinions? Why aren't you a scout? Why are you spewing bullsh*it out of your ass on a Jets message board?

Any moron knows Hughes and Bailey are the 2 best pitching prospects in baseball. Read any scouting service cause thats where i get my info not out of my a**.

Which means absolutely nothing until they produce at the Major League level.

This has gone on for 9 pages now. I'm done.

Thats all you can say over and over again becuase you have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to any minor league player. It's not hard to get educated. there are a million sites you can read to know what you're talking about but you don't feel like doing that instead you're just repeating the same retardation over and over again.

Baseball America's 17th annual Top 100 Prospects list is based on each player's long-term major league value, a combination of his upside and his likelihood of reaching that ceiling. Consideration was given to each player's physical skills as well as his track record of performance. All players who haven't exceeded the rookie limits of 50 innings or 130 at-bats are eligible, regardless of their big league service time. Founding editor Allan Simpson, editors in chief Will Lingo and John Manuel, and executive editor Jim Callis compiled the top 100 after discussions with general managers, scouting directors, farm directors, scouts, managers and instructors. The quotes on each player were gathered by Baseball America staff and correspondents. Minor league managers are identified with their 2005 clubs.

3ds_devilrays.jpg

1. DELMON YOUNG, of, Devil Rays

"Delmon's going to be as good as Delmon wants to be. He can do whatever he puts his mind to do."

--anonymous scout

ETA: 2006

2. JUSTIN UPTON, ss, Diamondbacks

"If you stick him in center field right now, he could be an all-star in two years."

--anonymous scouting director

ETA: 2007

3. BRANDON WOOD, ss, Angels

"He's still going to get better. He looks like the next Cal Ripken to me."

--San Jose manager Lenn Sakata

4. JEREMY HERMIDA, of, Marlins

"Everything he does is so easy. He has a 70 arm and he has one of the sweetest swings from the left side I've ever seen."

--anonymous scout

5. STEPHEN DREW, ss, Diamondbacks

"He's got power. He can hit for average. He's got instincts. He has all the defensive tools to play an outstanding shortstop. He is one of the most instinctual players for his age that I've ever seen."

--Diamondbacks scouting director Mike Rizzo

6. FRANCISCO LIRIANO, lhp, Twins

"He's filthy. We're talking three big league pitches, and everything looks easy."

--Indianapolis manager Trent Jewett

7. CHAD BILLINGSLEY, rhp, Dodgers

"There are times when his command is a little off, but his arm strength, demeanor on the mound, presence--everything is good. He has a chance to be a dominant starter in the big leagues."

--Birmingham manager Razor Shines

8. JUSTIN VERLANDER, rhp, Tigers

"He's got the arm, the heart and the head to do some very, very great things for that organization."

--anonymous scout

9. LASTINGS MILLEDGE, of, Mets

"He's going to be an all-star caliber player. You hit home runs with a quick bat, which he's got, and down the road he could steal 35 to 40 bases."

--anonymous scout

10. MATT CAIN, rhp, Giants

"The quality of his stuff has never been a question. The question was his command and ability to make adjustments. Well, he's doing those things now."

--Fresno manager Shane Turner

11. PRINCE FIELDER, 1b, Brewers

"He's the Prince of Power. He does that one thing that makes guys the most money."

--anonymous scout

12. HOWIE KENDRICK, 2b, Angels

"I just love his bat. He gets the barrel into the zone very quickly and it stays there for a very long time."

--anonymous scout

13. ALEX GORDON, 3b, Royals

"Alex Gordon is obviously a guy we had targeted for a long time. We feel like he's going to be a cornerstone for this organization for many years to come."

--Royals scouting director Deric Ladnier

14. ANDY MARTE, 3b, Indians

"Andy profiles as a guy who has the ability to hit in the middle of the lineup of a championship major league team. He has all the ingredients to be a special hitter."

--Braves farm director Dayton Moore

15. RYAN ZIMMERMAN, 3b, Nationals

"You don't necessarily draft someone based on defense in our business--usually the bat's the No. 1 tool--but his defensive ability is so special that it really pushed him up. And the bat is also special"

--Nationals special assistant Bob Boone

16. IAN STEWART, 3b, Rockies

"He makes good adjustments at the plate and has good discipline. He reminds me of Larry Walker."

--anonymous scout

17. CONOR JACKSON, 1b, Diamondbacks

"You get the feeling he's going to get a hit every time up. He must have Superman vision or something."

--anonymous scout

18. JARROD SALTALAMACCHIA, c, Braves

"He's got a chance to be Jason Varitek to me. The size, the strength, the power are all there."

--anonymous scout

19. ANDY LaROCHE, 3b, Dodgers

"When he comes to the plate, you can just tell that he is ready to have a good at-bat. When I say he can hit a fastball, some players aren't that gifted that they can hit a good fastball, but LaRoche can."

--Jacksonville manager John Shoemaker

20. CARLOS QUENTIN, of, Diamondbacks

"He sees the ball very well. He goes up looking for what he'll get, not what he wants. He knows when to go the other way and when to pull."

--anonymous scout

21. NICK MARKAKIS, of, Orioles

"Moon shots. That's all I think of when I hear the name Markakis. We couldn't find a way to get him out."

--Salem manager Ivan DeJesus

22. JON LESTER, lhp, Red Sox

"The first time I saw him pitch, I called [GM] Theo Esptein and said, 'Whatever you do, don't trade Jon Lester.' "

--Red Sox scouting director Jason McLeod

23. CHRIS YOUNG, of, Diamondbacks

"This guy is getting it quick. Just from spring training till now, it's amazing the adjustments he's made."

24. BOBBY JENKS, rhp, White Sox

"I think he's got the mentality to be an outstanding closer. When you throw the ball 100 miles an hour and then command a wicked breaking ball, I don't think you need much more."

25. TROY TULOWITZKI, ss, Rockies

"He's better than Bobby Crosby. He could play in the big leagues right now. He can hit, hit for power and he's the whole package defensively with a plus-plus arm."

--anonymous scout

26. JOEL GUZMAN, ss/3b, Dodgers

"I had scouted Chipper Jones and A-Rod before and to me, Guzman's bat was better. At 16 years old, the kid was as good as or better than anyone I'd ever seen."

--anonymous scout

27. FELIX PIE, of, Cubs

"He just creates excitement with his play--period. I see him as a guy who could potentially hit in the middle of a lineup and drive in runs, be a real exciting Carlos Beltran-type player."

--West Tenn manager Bobby Dickerson

28. DARIC BARTON, 1b, Athletics

"You could find 10-year big league veterans who don't have an approach as good as he does."

--anonymous scout

29. BILLY BUTLER, of, Royals

"He's Mike Sweeney Jr. He could be even better than Sweeney."

--anonymous scout

30. HANLEY RAMIREZ, ss, Marlins

"He's got a chance to be pretty special. The ball comes off his bat in batting practice like a man."

--Red Sox manager Terry Francona

31. CAMERON MAYBIN, of, Tigers

"He's an offensive player, a very good defensive player, a plus runner. And the one thing that really struck me was Cameron's work ethic and desire."

--Tigers scouting director David Chadd

ETA: 2008

32. CARLOS GONZALES, of, Diamondbacks

"This guy looks like Carlos Beltran when Beltran is going good. He doesn't run as well but he's a better hitter. And he's got that great arm."

--anonymous scout

33. JEFF CLEMENT, c, Mariners

"You always hear about how he's an offensive catcher. But I was really excited to see him catch."

--Mariners director of minor league operations Greg Hunter

34. SCOTT OLSEN, lhp, Marlins

"You could see he was oozing with talent. The way he attacked the zone, he stuck it to us. He's a live-arm lefty, works both sides of the plate and throws all his pitches for strikes."

35. JOEL ZUMAYA, rhp, Tigers

"I've always had him in as a closer. The effort to his delivery has improved, but to me you bring him in for one inning, he throws 100 and you shake hands."

--anonymous scout

36. MIKE PELFREY, rhp, Mets

"He's one of the few guys in the aluminum-bat era who gets people out with his fastball. Ben Sheets is another guy who could do that."

--Former Mets scouting director Russ Bove

37. JONATHAN PAPELBON, rhp, Red Sox

"To go into a market like Boston and perform the way he has is indicative of his future."

--Portland manager Todd Claus

38. HOMER BAILEY, rhp, Reds

"He'll break off a hammer curve after a 97 mile an hour fastball and there's just nothing you can do about it. Unless your name is Ichiro, you're not going to hit that."

--Dayton outfielder B.J. Szymanski

39. PHILIP HUGHES, rhp, Yankees

"He throws hard and he throws strikes. That's why for me he's a Mark Prior Lite."

--Charleston manager Bill Mosiello

40. ANIBAL SANCHEZ, rhp, Marlins

"Outside of his stuff, which has certainly improved, he's also a cerebral kid who prepares himself well. He's got the pieces of the puzzle that make a pitcher successful."

--Red Sox vice president of player personnel Ben Cherington

41. ANTHONY REYES, rhp, Cardinals

"He's going to make you put the ball in play and give the defense a chance to make plays behind him. He is always ahead in the count and he is not going to beat himself."

--Round Rock manager Jackie Moore

42. RUSSELL MARTIN, c, Dodgers

"He's obviously one of the better hitters in the league, yet at the most premium position. He basically shut our running game down and said, 'If you're going to run, you're going to make outs.' "

43. NEIL WALKER, c, Pirates

"When you consider what he has done at his age against competition that has been older, it's really remarkable. We're extremely pleased with the progress he has made in two years."

--Pirates farm director Brian Graham

44. MARK ROGERS, rhp, Brewers

"His last outing in instructional league, when he was throwing 96 mph at the knees with a hard curve for strikes and mixing in a changeup, you could see the light bulb going off."

--Brewers roving pitching instructor Jim Skaalen

45. ADAM LOEWEN, lhp, Orioles

"He'll go 3-0 on you and then the next thing you know it's boom-boom-boom, every pitch on the black. I've never seen anything like it."

--Kinston manager Luis Rivera

46. ERICK AYBAR, ss, Angels

"He's one of the most exciting players I've had to manage against, offensively and defensively. He loves to play and is just fun to watch."

--Tulsa manager Tom Runnells

47. ADAM MILLER, rhp, Indians

"He went through a process to getting back to where he was, both in terms of velocity and command, but he wasn't holding anything back late in the year. He's a rare combination of power, intelligence and an advanced feel for pitching for a 21-year-old."

--Indians farm director John Farrell

48. DUSTIN McGOWAN, rhp, Blue Jays

"For a power pitcher, he's got some kind of changeup. If he starts locating that fastball a little better, he's got everything."

--Blue Jays manager John Gibbons

49. RYAN BRAUN, 3b, Brewers

"He's got awesome bat speed but also has some things to work on. He's got all the talent to be a legitimate middle-of-the-order bat down the road."

--West Virginia hitting coach Johnny Narron

50. ANDREW McCUTCHEN, of, Pirates

"Andrew has the same outstanding speed and ability to cover a lot of ground in center field like Grissom. And like Marquis, he has good power. He also has great makeup and comes from a very good family background, like Marquis did."

--Pirates scouting director Ed Creech

51. BRIAN ANDERSON, of, White Sox

"He can do just about anything he wants to do on the field. You don't find too many guys with all the tools to play any position out there in the outfield."

--White Sox farm director David Wilder

52. JASON HIRSH, rhp, Astros

"He really made huge strides. He really pitched inside effectively and is able to locate his fastball anywhere he wants to. He really stepped up this year and took the bull by the horns."

--Astros farm director Ricky Bennett

53. JEREMY SOWERS, lhp, Indians

"He just commands all his pitches well and finds a way to get it done. Sometimes you don't know how he did it, but by that time you're walking back to the dugout shaking your head."

--Winston-Salem manager Chris Cron

54. CRAIG HANSEN, rhp, Red Sox

"You can see the kid has all the talent in the world. He's got a major league arm and major league stuff."

55. SCOTT ELBERT, lhp, Dodgers

"He made quick bats look like palm trees through peanut butter."

--Greenville manager Chad Epperson

56. EDISON VOLQUEZ, rhp, Rangers

"He's got special arm speed, special arm strength, special talent and special makeup. He's got a great temperament for the game and a very special set of skills."

--Former Rangers farm director Dom Chiti

57. JERED WEAVER, rhp, Angels

"He's a polished pitcher with an innate feel for putting hitters away."

--anonymous scout

58. JASON KUBEL, of, Twins

"You never know how a player is going to rebound mentally from injuries, but with Jason there's never been any doubt of where his desire is. It's to be back on the field."

--Twins farm director Jim Rantz

59. JOHN DANKS, lhp, Rangers

"He's always grouped with Thomas Diamond and Edison Volquez because they've played together all year. But people need to realize that he's playing with them and he's two years younger."

--anonymous scout

Baseball America's 17th annual Top 100 Prospects list is based on each player's long-term major league value, a combination of his upside and his likelihood of reaching that ceiling. Consideration was given to each player's physical skills as well as his track record of performance. All players who haven't exceeded the rookie limits of 50 innings or 130 at-bats are eligible, regardless of their big league service time. Founding editor Allan Simpson, editors in chief Will Lingo and John Manuel, and executive editor Jim Callis compiled the top 100 after discussions with general managers, scouting directors, farm directors, scouts, managers and instructors. The quotes on each player were gathered by Baseball America staff and correspondents. Minor league managers are identified with their 2005 clubs.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/images/mlblogos/3ds_devilrays.jpg

1. DELMON YOUNG, of, Devil Rays

"Delmon's going to be as good as Delmon wants to be. He can do whatever he puts his mind to do."

--anonymous scout

2. JUSTIN UPTON, ss, Diamondbacks

"If you stick him in center field right now, he could be an all-star in two years."

--anonymous scouting director

3. BRANDON WOOD, ss, Angels

"He's still going to get better. He looks like the next Cal Ripken to me."

--San Jose manager Lenn Sakata

4. JEREMY HERMIDA, of, Marlins

"Everything he does is so easy. He has a 70 arm and he has one of the sweetest swings from the left side I've ever seen."

--anonymous scout

5. STEPHEN DREW, ss, Diamondbacks

"He's got power. He can hit for average. He's got instincts. He has all the defensive tools to play an outstanding shortstop. He is one of the most instinctual players for his age that I've ever seen."

--Diamondbacks scouting director Mike Rizzo

6. FRANCISCO LIRIANO, lhp, Twins

"He's filthy. We're talking three big league pitches, and everything looks easy."

--Indianapolis manager Trent Jewett

7. CHAD BILLINGSLEY, rhp, Dodgers

"There are times when his command is a little off, but his arm strength, demeanor on the mound, presence--everything is good. He has a chance to be a dominant starter in the big leagues."

8. JUSTIN VERLANDER, rhp, Tigers

"He's got the arm, the heart and the head to do some very, very great things for that organization."

--anonymous scout

9. LASTINGS MILLEDGE, of, Mets

"He's going to be an all-star caliber player. You hit home runs with a quick bat, which he's got, and down the road he could steal 35 to 40 bases."

--anonymous scout

10. MATT CAIN, rhp, Giants

"The quality of his stuff has never been a question. The question was his command and ability to make adjustments. Well, he's doing those things now."

--Fresno manager Shane Turner

11. PRINCE FIELDER, 1b, Brewers

"He's the Prince of Power. He does that one thing that makes guys the most money."

--anonymous scout

12. HOWIE KENDRICK, 2b, Angels

"I just love his bat. He gets the barrel into the zone very quickly and it stays there for a very long time."

--anonymous scout

13. ALEX GORDON, 3b, Royals

"Alex Gordon is obviously a guy we had targeted for a long time. We feel like he's going to be a cornerstone for this organization for many years to come."

--Royals scouting director Deric Ladnier

14. ANDY MARTE, 3b, Indians

"Andy profiles as a guy who has the ability to hit in the middle of the lineup of a championship major league team. He has all the ingredients to be a special hitter."

--Braves farm director Dayton Moore

15. RYAN ZIMMERMAN, 3b, Nationals

"You don't necessarily draft someone based on defense in our business--usually the bat's the No. 1 tool--but his defensive ability is so special that it really pushed him up. And the bat is also special"

--Nationals special assistant Bob Boone

16. IAN STEWART, 3b, Rockies

"He makes good adjustments at the plate and has good discipline. He reminds me of Larry Walker."

--anonymous scout

17. CONOR JACKSON, 1b, Diamondbacks

"You get the feeling he's going to get a hit every time up. He must have Superman vision or something."

--anonymous scout

18. JARROD SALTALAMACCHIA, c, Braves

"He's got a chance to be Jason Varitek to me. The size, the strength, the power are all there."

--anonymous scout

19. ANDY LaROCHE, 3b, Dodgers

"When he comes to the plate, you can just tell that he is ready to have a good at-bat. When I say he can hit a fastball, some players aren't that gifted that they can hit a good fastball, but LaRoche can."

--Jacksonville manager John Shoemaker

20. CARLOS QUENTIN, of, Diamondbacks

"He sees the ball very well. He goes up looking for what he'll get, not what he wants. He knows when to go the other way and when to pull."

--anonymous scout

21. NICK MARKAKIS, of, Orioles

"Moon shots. That's all I think of when I hear the name Markakis. We couldn't find a way to get him out."

--Salem manager Ivan DeJesus

22. JON LESTER, lhp, Red Sox

"The first time I saw him pitch, I called [GM] Theo Esptein and said, 'Whatever you do, don't trade Jon Lester.' "

--Red Sox scouting director Jason McLeod

23. CHRIS YOUNG, of, Diamondbacks

"This guy is getting it quick. Just from spring training till now, it's amazing the adjustments he's made."

24. BOBBY JENKS, rhp, White Sox

"I think he's got the mentality to be an outstanding closer. When you throw the ball 100 miles an hour and then command a wicked breaking ball, I don't think you need much more."

25. TROY TULOWITZKI, ss, Rockies

"He's better than Bobby Crosby. He could play in the big leagues right now. He can hit, hit for power and he's the whole package defensively with a plus-plus arm."

--anonymous scout

26. JOEL GUZMAN, ss/3b, Dodgers

"I had scouted Chipper Jones and A-Rod before and to me, Guzman's bat was better. At 16 years old, the kid was as good as or better than anyone I'd ever seen."

--anonymous scout

27. FELIX PIE, of, Cubs

"He just creates excitement with his play--period. I see him as a guy who could potentially hit in the middle of a lineup and drive in runs, be a real exciting Carlos Beltran-type player."

28. DARIC BARTON, 1b, Athletics

"You could find 10-year big league veterans who don't have an approach as good as he does."

--anonymous scout

29. BILLY BUTLER, of, Royals

"He's Mike Sweeney Jr. He could be even better than Sweeney."

--anonymous scout

30. HANLEY RAMIREZ, ss, Marlins

"He's got a chance to be pretty special. The ball comes off his bat in batting practice like a man."

31. CAMERON MAYBIN, of, Tigers

"He's an offensive player, a very good defensive player, a plus runner. And the one thing that really struck me was Cameron's work ethic and desire."

--Tigers scouting director David Chadd

32. CARLOS GONZALES, of, Diamondbacks

"This guy looks like Carlos Beltran when Beltran is going good. He doesn't run as well but he's a better hitter. And he's got that great arm."

--anonymous scout

33. JEFF CLEMENT, c, Mariners

"You always hear about how he's an offensive catcher. But I was really excited to see him catch."

--Mariners director of minor league operations Greg Hunter

34. SCOTT OLSEN, lhp, Marlins

"You could see he was oozing with talent. The way he attacked the zone, he stuck it to us. He's a live-arm lefty, works both sides of the plate and throws all his pitches for strikes."

35. JOEL ZUMAYA, rhp, Tigers

"I've always had him in as a closer. The effort to his delivery has improved, but to me you bring him in for one inning, he throws 100 and you shake hands."

--anonymous scout

36. MIKE PELFREY, rhp, Mets

"He's one of the few guys in the aluminum-bat era who gets people out with his fastball. Ben Sheets is another guy who could do that."

--Former Mets scouting director Russ Bove

37. JONATHAN PAPELBON, rhp, Red Sox

"To go into a market like Boston and perform the way he has is indicative of his future."

--Portland manager Todd Claus

38. HOMER BAILEY, rhp, Reds

"He'll break off a hammer curve after a 97 mile an hour fastball and there's just nothing you can do about it. Unless your name is Ichiro, you're not going to hit that."

--Dayton outfielder B.J. Szymanski

39. PHILIP HUGHES, rhp, Yankees

"He throws hard and he throws strikes. That's why for me he's a Mark Prior Lite."

--Charleston manager Bill Mosiello

40. ANIBAL SANCHEZ, rhp, Marlins

"Outside of his stuff, which has certainly improved, he's also a cerebral kid who prepares himself well. He's got the pieces of the puzzle that make a pitcher successful."

--Red Sox vice president of player personnel Ben Cherington

41. ANTHONY REYES, rhp, Cardinals

"He's going to make you put the ball in play and give the defense a chance to make plays behind him. He is always ahead in the count and he is not going to beat himself."

--Round Rock manager Jackie Moore

42. RUSSELL MARTIN, c, Dodgers

"He's obviously one of the better hitters in the league, yet at the most premium position. He basically shut our running game down and said, 'If you're going to run, you're going to make outs.' "

43. NEIL WALKER, c, Pirates

"When you consider what he has done at his age against competition that has been older, it's really remarkable. We're extremely pleased with the progress he has made in two years."

--Pirates farm director Brian Graham

44. MARK ROGERS, rhp, Brewers

"His last outing in instructional league, when he was throwing 96 mph at the knees with a hard curve for strikes and mixing in a changeup, you could see the light bulb going off."

--Brewers roving pitching instructor Jim Skaalen

45. ADAM LOEWEN, lhp, Orioles

"He'll go 3-0 on you and then the next thing you know it's boom-boom-boom, every pitch on the black. I've never seen anything like it."

--Kinston manager Luis Rivera

46. ERICK AYBAR, ss, Angels

"He's one of the most exciting players I've had to manage against, offensively and defensively. He loves to play and is just fun to watch."

--Tulsa manager Tom Runnells

47. ADAM MILLER, rhp, Indians

"He went through a process to getting back to where he was, both in terms of velocity and command, but he wasn't holding anything back late in the year. He's a rare combination of power, intelligence and an advanced feel for pitching for a 21-year-old."

--Indians farm director John Farrell

48. DUSTIN McGOWAN, rhp, Blue Jays

"For a power pitcher, he's got some kind of changeup. If he starts locating that fastball a little better, he's got everything."

--Blue Jays manager John Gibbons

49. RYAN BRAUN, 3b, Brewers

"He's got awesome bat speed but also has some things to work on. He's got all the talent to be a legitimate middle-of-the-order bat down the road."

--West Virginia hitting coach Johnny Narron

50. ANDREW McCUTCHEN, of, Pirates

"Andrew has the same outstanding speed and ability to cover a lot of ground in center field like Grissom. And like Marquis, he has good power. He also has great makeup and comes from a very good family background, like Marquis did."

--Pirates scouting director Ed Creech

51. BRIAN ANDERSON, of, White Sox

"He can do just about anything he wants to do on the field. You don't find too many guys with all the tools to play any position out there in the outfield."

--White Sox farm director David Wilder

52. JASON HIRSH, rhp, Astros

"He really made huge strides. He really pitched inside effectively and is able to locate his fastball anywhere he wants to. He really stepped up this year and took the bull by the horns."

--Astros farm director Ricky Bennett

53. JEREMY SOWERS, lhp, Indians

"He just commands all his pitches well and finds a way to get it done. Sometimes you don't know how he did it, but by that time you're walking back to the dugout shaking your head."

--Winston-Salem manager Chris Cron

54. CRAIG HANSEN, rhp, Red Sox

"You can see the kid has all the talent in the world. He's got a major league arm and major league stuff."

55. SCOTT ELBERT, lhp, Dodgers

"He made quick bats look like palm trees through peanut butter."

--Greenville manager Chad Epperson

56. EDISON VOLQUEZ, rhp, Rangers

"He's got special arm speed, special arm strength, special talent and special makeup. He's got a great temperament for the game and a very special set of skills."

--Former Rangers farm director Dom Chiti

57. JERED WEAVER, rhp, Angels

"He's a polished pitcher with an innate feel for putting hitters away."

--anonymous scout

58. JASON KUBEL, of, Twins

"You never know how a player is going to rebound mentally from injuries, but with Jason there's never been any doubt of where his desire is. It's to be back on the field."

--Twins farm director Jim Rantz

59. JOHN DANKS, lhp, Rangers

"He's always grouped with Thomas Diamond and Edison Volquez because they've played together all year. But people need to realize that he's playing with them and he's two years younger."

--anonymous scout

Looks like Baseball America did not agree with the ranking of Hughes and Pelfrey

LOL that list is 4 months old before Hughes had moved past LOWA. Get anything that dosn't have dust on it and hughes is the first pitcher listed.

the point I am making is no one including me or you can tell that a prospect will be a success in the majors - only our opinion take it for what it is worth

I admit to not being right 100 per cent of the time - can you?

the point I am making is no one including me or you can tell that a prospect will be a success in the majors - only our opinion take it for what it is worth

prospects in baseball and hockey are near impossible to gauge,,

basketball and football , much much easier

Let me tell you about Hughes and Pelfrey.

Pelfrey was a first round pick out of college. Got a 5 million dollar bonus and is 23. He was 3 spots ahead of Hughes in the BA top 100 at the start of the season BEFORE hughes, who was also a first rounder but out of HS and 2 years younger had ever pitched above lowA ball. Since the season has started hughes (who remember is 2 year younger.) dominated highA got promoted, dominated AA. Thats why he's considered the best pitching prospect in basebal RIGHT NOW.

Let me tell you about Hughes and Pelfrey.

Pelfrey was a first round pick out of college. Got a 5 million dollar bonus and is 23. He was 3 spots ahead of Hughes in the BA top 100 at the start of the season BEFORE hughes, who was also a first rounder but out of HS and 2 years younger had ever pitched above lowA ball. Since the season has started hughes (who remember is 2 year younger.) dominated highA got promoted, dominated AA. Thats why he's considered the best pitching prospect in basebal RIGHT NOW.

Thanks for your opinion

Frank

JF80 dissed the Yankees minor league system, so he got owned by madmike. JF80 doesnt even know a thing about the Yankees farm system and he was claiming they couldnt make a big deal with their prospects.

He was the one talking out of his a**, not madmike.

JF80 dissed the Yankees minor league system, so he got owned by madmike. JF80 doesnt even know a thing about the Yankees farm system and he was claiming they couldnt make a big deal with their prospects.

they can settle it on the softball field at the JN/JI/TGG BBQ

And madmike knows not a damn thing about the Mets farm system, nor the value of Pelfrey.

Archived